HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: (2) San Jose Sharks vs (3) Detroit Red Wings

View Poll Results: How will the series end?
Sharks win in 4 6 2.38%
Sharks win in 5 18 7.14%
Sharks win in 6 98 38.89%
Sharks win in 7 65 25.79%
Redwings win in 4 4 1.59%
Redwings win in 5 8 3.17%
Redwings win in 6 37 14.68%
Redwings win in 7 16 6.35%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
I think a lot of teams can and would say Detroit are their rivals. They have long been a measuring stick for the entire NHL. They are up there for the Sharks. Especially in terms of facing each other in the playoffs a bunch the last few years. There's also been a lot of classic regular season games. And Wilson/McLellan kinda modeling the Sharks after them.

I feel like there is a bigger rivalry between the Sharks and the Ducks/Stars though, just from how the games are played between the teams.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2cheech View Post
I don't like the Ducks, Kings...division rivals bla bla

I also don't like Detroit but I have tremendous respect for the franchise. The Wings don't go out and goon it up they just have very skilled players. When we lose to the Wings I just have an acceptance of knowing that you have lost to a better team.

That said, beating them last season in 5 and then jumping out to a 3-0 lead this series is a good feeling just because of the history between the teams.

In talking to my friends I think its common for Sharks fans (the knowledgeable ones anyway) to have respect for the Detroit franchise....I don't think it can be said the other way around unfortunately.
This is another reason why i'd be wary playing the canucks. I can see one of the sharks players(couture or seto) getting 'Michaleked' by Torres or Laperiere. The Wings' biggest hitter is Kronwall but they don't goon it up and try to injure people like you said.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
pnut408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
This is another reason why i'd be wary playing the canucks. I can see one of the sharks players(couture or seto) getting 'Michaleked' by Torres or Laperiere. The Wings' biggest hitter is Kronwall but they don't goon it up and try to injure people like you said.
Respect to the Wings for that, even though Bertuzzi is a ****** and always will be.

I don't have the same kind of respect for 'Nucks/Ducks.

pnut408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Last year I thought the sweep was unthinkable, and the Sharks losing Game 4 seemed natural.
Not this year though.
It would be very annoying if they couldn't seal the deal in Detroit.
Handshake at the Joe would be sweet, too~

NeverSayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Mr Scarface*

This feels real good. Our team is moving into the finals and surely is the strongest team in the league right now. The depth is right there on every area of the game.

Detroit is so much more tired than our team. Coach McLellan and his staff have done an amazing job in training our players and getting them fit. Detroit doesn't have the same type of drive and energy our team has.

Interesting to see who comes from the east facing us in the Finals... Vancouver is not hard and tough enough to win this team. They have some talent but are not physical or mentally hard enough to face certain players we have. So yeah, this feels real good.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNero View Post
This feels real good. Our team is moving into the finals and surely is the strongest team in the league right now.
Welcome, Lightning fan.

Seriously, don't anger the hockey gods, please.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:30 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
This feels real good. Our team is moving into the finals and surely is the strongest team in the league right now. The depth is right there on every area of the game.

Detroit is so much more tired than our team. Coach McLellan and his staff have done an amazing job in training our players and getting them fit. Detroit doesn't have the same type of drive and energy our team has.

Interesting to see who comes from the east facing us in the Finals... Vancouver is not hard and tough enough to win this team. They have some talent but are not physical or mentally hard enough to face certain players we have. So yeah, this feels real good.
Seriously... whoa there... getting a little ahead of things...

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Now we know who to blame if Vancouver sweeps them next round.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
"ri·val·ry/ˈrīvəlrē/
Noun: Competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field"

When you look at the playoff history between these teams over the years, I think it's laughable that someone could start a poll in the offseason about who are biggest rivals are and vote with a straight face for the Ducks or Kings.

I know Detroit's not in our divison, but do they have to be to our biggest rival? The Pats and Colts have had a huge rivalry for the Brady/Manning years and have not been in the same division for most (if not all) of those years.

When you look back at Sharks history, it's all about the Detroit Red Wings. Our measuring stick. Our thorn in our side. The thing standing in our way of deep playoff runs (95, 07). ESPN's Pierre LeBrun said last night's game was like a SCF game. Not saying the rivalry is necessarily vice versa (but for the Wings it's getting there), but I still find it laughable that there are fellow Sharks fans out there that don't want to concede that they are our biggest rival without question.

Hate is not the same as rivalry (See definition above). You may hate the Ducks more, but the Wings have been the #1 rivals for the Sharks franchise.

Just my 2 cents I wanted to throw out there as this in my mind this series should remove any doubt as to who our biggest rivals are.
No doubt Detroit is the biggest rival. It's quite often that rivals are not in the same division. You mentioned Colts/Pats. Niners/Cowboys was huge in the 80's and early 90's. Caps/Pens is another...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:44 PM
joe2cheech

Quote:

joe2cheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

If the Sharks are able to win one of the next four and make it to the WCF, I think they match up better against Vancouver. Nashville's grinding style is similar to the way LA played the Sharks in round 1, and LA had some success using that strategy. Vancouver definitely has more talent, but it's not always about talent. Sometimes its just about who you match up better against.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:30 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

HNIC Intermission:

Don Cherry talks about David Setoguchi, and calls him a grinder.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
HNIC Intermission:

He doesn't even try anymore.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

Quote:
HNIC Intermission:

you mean canadian broadcasts don't follow sharks hockey? shocking.

Old
05-05-2011, 08:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
you mean canadian broadcasts don't follow sharks hockey? shocking.
Seto was a high prospect when he was drafted and has always, always, always been a goal-scorer by trade. and Cherry even coached him for the Top Prospects game he participated in in 2005 (and Cherry loves the CHL and young, future players)

the "David" bit I chalk up to cherry's unabashed terribleness with names. Even the CBC's beloved Canucks aren't immune when he talks about Kevin Bieska

Old
05-05-2011, 09:06 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post

He doesn't even try anymore.
this.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
If the Sharks are able to win one of the next four and make it to the WCF, I think they match up better against Vancouver. Nashville's grinding style is similar to the way LA played the Sharks in round 1, and LA had some success using that strategy. Vancouver definitely has more talent, but it's not always about talent. Sometimes its just about who you match up better against.
What made LA tough is their ability to play on the boards. Nashville, while definitely a grinding team, don't have the same skill level along the boards that the Kings have. The Preds are a hard-nosed defensive team that capitalizes on mistakes. If a team eliminates their mistakes, they will beat the Preds. When the Canucks win their games against the Preds, they've eliminated those mistakes.

The Sharks match up well against both teams but for different reasons. No matter who comes out of this other series, I would think the Sharks are the favorites.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
What made LA tough is their ability to play on the boards. Nashville, while definitely a grinding team, don't have the same skill level along the boards that the Kings have. The Preds are a hard-nosed defensive team that capitalizes on mistakes. If a team eliminates their mistakes, they will beat the Preds. When the Canucks win their games against the Preds, they've eliminated those mistakes.

The Sharks match up well against both teams but for different reasons. No matter who comes out of this other series, I would think the Sharks are the favorites.
Canucks speed and incredibly balanced, PMD core concern me. And I'm just more comfortable with the Sharks as the "underdog". I prefer the Canucks, though, because it should be an amazing series if the regular season is any indication.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Canucks speed and incredibly balanced, PMD core concern me. And I'm just more comfortable with the Sharks as the "underdog". I prefer the Canucks, though, because it should be an amazing series if the regular season is any indication.
The reality is that the difference between the Canucks and the Sharks in a potential series will be who handles the puck the most. Neither the Canucks nor the Sharks are equipped to handle the other team's offensive weapons when they maintain puck possession for any extended length of time. The Canucks have a very solid blue line but none of them, with the exception of Hamhuis, are exceptional defensively.

The tipping point between the Sharks and Canucks might end up being the Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell line compared to the Canucks current third line being something along the lines of Lapierre/Torres-Higgins-Hansen.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Negatively Positive
Stop Lying!

the canucks will sweep the sharks like chicago did last year. *sighs* why can't the sharks catch a break for once?

Old
05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
cnaucks fwd depth isn't great, only kesler and burrows really stepping up. henrik is probably hurt. the lapierre line is OK but its only looking comparatively good because nash has really lousy fwd lines.

nuck defense isn't that deep, mr. glsas is hurt once again, and viggy loves himself some arron rome and ahlberts, both of who suck. ballard is perpetually in the vignault doghouse. only error and edler are true threats, and bieska is some shutdown dman these days.

the only thing that worries me is the nuck transistion game, which has been deadly, but if we have the proper strats to defend against that, our 3 lines of doom will run over the nucks fwds with ease.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:30 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The reality is that the difference between the Canucks and the Sharks in a potential series will be who handles the puck the most. Neither the Canucks nor the Sharks are equipped to handle the other team's offensive weapons when thye maintain puck possession for any extended length of time. The Canucks have a very solid blue line but none of them, with the exception of Hamhuis, are exceptional defensively.

The tipping point between the Sharks and Canucks might end up being the Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell line compared to the Canucks current third line being something along the lines of Lapierre/Torres-Higgins-Hansen.
I think that the Sharks finally have a balanced team. They do not need Thornton to show up every night because of their depth, which I beleive is better than the Canucks. I do not think the Canucks defense can cope with speed and tenacity. Therefore, the Sharks will have a significant number of scoring chances in the series.

If you do play the Canucks in the second round, I will be rooting for you guys. I cant stand the fan base here in Van City and the disgraceful hockey team they have.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:38 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
the canucks will sweep the sharks like chicago did last year. *sighs* why can't the sharks catch a break for once?
The Canucks are far from the Blackhawks of last season. They had three explosive lines and were a force to be reckoned with. The canucks, on the other hand, are limping through to the WCF and do not look like the team that finished first. Aside from kesler, nobody else has looked good these playoffs. Indeed, if the Preds had any scoring, the situation would be reversed.

As I am writing this, I am hearing car horns blaring as if the Canucks have won the Cup .

EDIT: Sorry for the double posts!

Old
05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
The Canucks are far from the Blackhawks of last season. They had three explosive lines and were a force to be reckoned with. The canucks, on the other hand, are limping through to the WCF and do not look like the team that finished first. Aside from kesler, nobody else has looked good these playoffs. Indeed, if the Preds had any scoring, the situation would be reversed.

As I am writing this, I am hearing car horns blaring as if the Canucks have won the Cup .
that's been par for the course this playoffs though. My god I watched people celebrate game 1 vs Chicago harder than most teams do when they win the cup.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
that's been par for the course this playoffs though. My god I watched people celebrate game 1 vs Chicago harder than most teams do when they win the cup.
It has been. I was Downtown after the Canucks victory over the Hawks and I was taken aback. Celebrate like that after 16 games have been won in the playoffs. It is a reaction of this sort that makes me want the Sharks to win the series going away. I hope they can!