HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff's best performance of his tenure

Old
04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
sensman16

vCash: 500
I was listen to wrg 550 and i started to laugh when a couple people called in and said the sabres should get rid of ruff. where would the sabres be next year with a new coach. not the playoffs. Ruff knows all the players. hes been with most of the team since they got called up. the players like him. Sabres sign ruff.

sensman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:21 AM
LabattBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensman16 View Post
the players like him.
Ummm...maybe that is part of the problem. Everyone in this organization from Regier to the coaches to the players are too comfortable.

LabattBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:25 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero39 View Post
I guess that one could say that the coaching job was "decent" if one absolves Ruff of all responsibility for the dreadful start to the season. But, as far as I can remember, he was the coach then, too.

It all depends on expectations, I suppose. Barely squeaking into the playoffs and a first round exit isn't success for most teams, even when you play a good team even for six games before folding badly in game 7.

The worst thing that could happen would be for ownership to conclude that the team only needs minor tweaks. After all, we had that great 16-4-4 run and took the mighty Flyers to 7 games! As game 7 demonstrated, the Sabres have a long way to go.
Actually game 7 demonstrated that they were decimated by injuries and had way too many youngsters in the lineup.

A deep talented veteran Philly team against essentially a bunch of kids and battered vets.

Why in the world would anyone blame Ruff for them struggling last night. Its as if you think he could cast a magic spell over the youngsters and they would play like seasoned vets.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Why in the world would anyone blame Ruff for them struggling. Its as if you think he could cast a magic spell over the youngsters and they would play like seasoned vets.
Because he hasn't won a Cup!! Don't you see!! Context means nothing. Only results matter!! I'll hang up and listen.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
ZemgusWho
Future, coming soon

I like Ruff and I think this is up there.

I give him credit for the foresight in 05-06 to change his system to take advantage of the way games were called. and 99 was masterful as others have pointed out. Maybe 3rd best job he has done.

Though I feel like this comes down to personnel. and injuries. We need vets at key positions. when the pressure got tough in game 7, who did he send out? our vets weren't close to the most skilled players on the team. and that's a bad mismatch when you're down by 3. You need goals, but your vets who have been here before aren't capable of making the goals needed. so you rely on the young guys more. and it spirals out of control.

Though the nerves last night seemed evident. Perhaps that is something a good coach should have handled. Not saying I'm for another coach right now, but I'm giving some serious thought to how another coach's influence might have presented itself last night.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
'99 remains his best moments, getting a powerplay alight and being able to take that team to the Finals.

This was a good job, working with a roster who's issues are detailed elsewhere and any number of ridiculous injuries. But not his best, no.

It sucks that Pegula has already committed to the staff. They need another voice in there, someone who can work with the offense and powerplay in particular. I still want to know what Brian McCutcheon is good at...
Agreed. Ruff has done an incredible job to turn this team around. I just wish they brought in someone else in an assistant's role.

I think Kevyn Adams has had a profound effect on the team. Gerbe has even talked about him helping his game. I think they should take a flier and put him on the bench.

They could even get rid of Patrick and put Teppo on the bench.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
I like Ruff and I think this is up there.

I give him credit for the foresight in 05-06 to change his system to take advantage of the way games were called. and 99 was masterful as others have pointed out. Maybe 3rd best job he has done.

Though I feel like this comes down to personnel. and injuries. We need vets at key positions. when the pressure got tough in game 7, who did he send out? our vets weren't close to the most skilled players on the team. and that's a bad mismatch when you're down by 3. You need goals, but your vets who have been here before aren't capable of making the goals needed. so you rely on the young guys more. and it spirals out of control.

Though the nerves last night seemed evident. Perhaps that is something a good coach should have handled. Not saying I'm for another coach right now, but I'm giving some serious thought to how another coach's influence might have presented itself last night.

Fair enough. But there is a reason teams want vets that have been through the playoffs wars come this time of year. It usually takes young players, especially dmen, time to learn how to play in these situations.

Someone on NHL network (Kelly Chase I think) had a nice breakdown of the issues we were having due to our youth on defense. His basic point was this series is a great learning experience for these guys. I was primarily refering to Butler, Myers and Weber.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Lindy was great through Game One.

After that, he changed our style of play a few too many times and seemingly pushed the wrong buttons at the wrong times.

I mean, I know injuries hurt, but our gameplan in Game Seven was that of a team that hoped to win, not that of a team that was going to earn the win.

We sat back and hoped that Miller would steal us the game or that Philly would make a mistake. As a young road team with nothing to lose, we should've come out flying and took it to them.

Lindy's propensity to fall into his defensive shell cost us this series. We did nothing to slow down Philly's forecheck and when we trapped, they were free to play a dump & chase game that they excelled at.

I'm in no way calling for his head, but count me on the "Lindy still has something to prove" bus.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
Agreed. Ruff has done an incredible job to turn this team around. I just wish they brought in someone else in an assistant's role.

I think Kevyn Adams has had a profound effect on the team. Gerbe has even talked about him helping his game. I think they should take a flier and put him on the bench.

I like what you said there. But I am curious, why do you think Teppo would be as good or better than Patrick? Are you speaking from emotion or something I am unaware of?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
I like what you said there. But I am curious, why do you think Teppo would be as good or better than Patrick? Are you speaking from emotion or something I am unaware of?
It's been speculated that Numminen wants to get into coaching. Just to get a couple new voices on the bench.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I mean, I know injuries hurt, but our gameplan in Game Seven was that of a team that hoped to win, not that of a team that was going to earn the win.

We sat back and hoped that Miller would steal us the game or that Philly would make a mistake. As a young road team with nothing to lose, we should've come out flying and took it to them.
You honestly think the game plan was to sit back and do nothing? Isn't it entirely possible that the game plan was to be aggressive and attack, but the players didn't execute it?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I'm not sure putting another defenseman behind the bench is the thing. Getting a fresh voice in was my point, particularly one with an offensive bent to his game.

Adams has been very good for them as a dedicated video coaching resource. Expanding that to having another body doing that work with him would be beneficial, rather than putting him behind the bench at this time IMO. Get more guys to work on more video one-on-one sessions rather than pulling the guy out who's doing well at it if you will.

04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm not sure putting another defenseman behind the bench is the thing. Getting a fresh voice in was my point, particularly one with an offensive bent to his game.

Adams has been very good for them as a dedicated video coaching resource. Expanding that to having another body doing that work with him would be beneficial, rather than putting him behind the bench at this time IMO. Get more guys to work on more video one-on-one sessions rather than pulling the guy out who's doing well at it if you will.
Adding more support staff is one of the behind the scenes benefits I think we will get from Pegula.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Ghills23

Quote:

Good point. I feel if Lindy is going to get rid of one of McCutcheon or Patrick he's going to replace them with someone he knows well.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
You honestly think the game plan was to sit back and do nothing? Isn't it entirely possible that the game plan was to be aggressive and attack, but the players didn't execute it?
If that's the case, it's Lindy's fault for not getting the players to respond to his gameplan and execute.

I understand why Lindy would go with a defensive gameplan. We're battling injuries, don't have a lot of experience and have had trouble maintaining offensive pressure. I think it was the safe call, but I also think it was the wrong call.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Adding more support staff is one of the behind the scenes benefits I think we will get from Pegula.
Yep. That is something they can use, especially in the realm of video breakdowns and one-on-one work. If they have someone to work with the forwards (say Adams) and then someone else to work with the defense (if Teppo is interested in getting into things, perhaps he's a guy to look at... smart, smart player who might be able to bring things out in those sessions).

Quote:
Good point. I feel if Lindy is going to get rid of one of McCutcheon or Patrick he's going to replace them with someone he knows well.
Honestly, I'd rather Lindy has someone with a different voice coming in rather than another one of his friends or collegues. That staff is pretty comfortable, perhaps too much so IMO.

Quote:
If that's the case, it's Lindy's fault for not getting the players to respond to his gameplan and execute.

I understand why Lindy would go with a defensive gameplan. We're battling injuries, don't have a lot of experience and have had trouble maintaining offensive pressure. I think it was the safe call, but I also think it was the wrong call.
The players didn't execute. They turned the puck over with frightening regularity and didn't exit the zone. Ruff talked and talked about security and the team didn't execute. Is that on him or on the personnel?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
joshjull

Quote:

I also think yourself and others too easily forget there was another team on the ice. One of the best in the NHL.

Where does this mentality come from? That Ruff, or any coach for that matter, can wave a magic wand and overcome all the deficits we had in last nights game.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Yep. That is something they can use, especially in the realm of video breakdowns and one-on-one work. If they have someone to work with the forwards (say Adams) and then someone else to work with the defense (if Teppo is interested in getting into things, perhaps he's a guy to look at... smart, smart player who might be able to bring things out in those sessions).

Honestly, I'd rather Lindy has someone with a different voice coming in rather than another one of his friends or collegues. That staff is pretty comfortable, perhaps too much so IMO.

The players didn't execute. They turned the puck over with frightening regularity and didn't exit the zone. Ruff talked and talked about security and the team didn't execute. Is that on him or on the personnel?
Both. Like I said, I understand the gameplan, but Lindy basically asked a bunch of inexperienced, undersized players to withstand the Philly forecheck and clear the puck out of the zone.

It doesn't sound too difficult, but under the kind of pressure most of our guys were under, it's understandable that they made mistakes. You'd like to see them make plays and I can't fault Lindy for them not clearing the zone, but I think a different, more attacking style of play would've been the better choice.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:32 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Both. Like I said, I understand the gameplan, but Lindy basically asked a bunch of inexperienced, undersized players to withstand the Philly forecheck and clear the puck out of the zone.

It doesn't sound too difficult, but under the kind of pressure most of our guys were under, it's understandable that they made mistakes. You'd like to see them make plays and I can't fault Lindy for them not clearing the zone, but I think a different, more attacking style of play would've been the better choice.
Your making assumptions now and attacking Ruff based on them. You have no idea what their game plan was.

They didn't sit back, they were overwhelmed and hemmed in their zone.

Our are you actually going to argue Ruff told them to stay hemmed in their zone and make bad passes so they coulnd't break out?

Old
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Ghills23

Quote:

I agree. I just don't think Lindy would take a chance on someone he's not familiar with. Unless one of his friends or colleagues recommend someone to him.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Without a doubt, this season was Ruff's best in terms of maximizing his roster and using whatever tools he had at a given time to "start fire."

No, the end result wasn't what we wanted. No, the team wasn't a powerhouse. But I think there is a lot to be said about his job behind the bench this season, most notably the turnaround we saw as the season progressed.

I ask: are there still people out there who want to see him replaced?
I'm in the pro-Ruff camp but I wouldn't say that this season wasn't any better from his past ones where they started off poorly, then finished strongly (2000, 2003, 2006) or started off strongly, then finished poorly (1999, 2001).

To me, Ruff really proved himself after the lockout when, contrary to his own defensive philosophies, he was willing to reinvent himself to fit the style the game was played. He's always made the most of the personnel he has been given but after the lockout, he stopped trying to turn offensively-skilled players into checkers IMO.

I still believe in Ruff but think he needs to surround himself with more tacticians as his assistants rather than keeping the status quo that add nothing he can't do himself. He needs seriously to bring in an offensive/PP coach like what Lever and Arniel provided - McCutcheon is extraneous.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I'm in the pro-Ruff camp but I wouldn't say that this season wasn't any better from his past ones where they started off poorly, then finished strongly (2000, 2003, 2006) or started off strongly, then finished poorly (1999, 2001).

To me, Ruff really proved himself after the lockout when, contrary to his own defensive philosophies, he was willing to reinvent himself to fit the style the game was played. He's always made the most of the personnel he has been given but after the lockout, he stopped trying to turn offensively-skilled players into checkers IMO.

I still believe in Ruff but think he needs to surround himself with more tacticians as his assistants rather than keeping the status quo that add nothing he can't do himself. He needs seriously to bring in an offensive/PP coach like what Lever and Arniel provided - McCutcheon is extraneous.
Someone has to talk to Ray between periods

Old
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

1. What Lindy did, turning the regular season around, deserves Jack Adams like recognition. it was an amazing accomplishment. point of fact: there were PLENTY of injuries over that 3+ month stretch... (Roy, Miller, Leopold, Hecht, Grier, etc)

2. but once again, come playoff time, he's seriously lacking. he doesn't make in game/series adjustments. when you are playing the same team 4-7 times, you HAVE to account for what they want to do and how they want to do it and ADJUST. Lindy is a stubborn SOB and outright admits that he doesn't care what the other team is going to do.

3. his interview with Panger midway through the 2nd period (on the bench) on Versus was absolutely disgusting...

4. Atleast he has injuries as an excuse as usual (last 3 playoff exits, and last 2 missed playoff seasons)

5. is that 4 blown 2 goals leads, in the last 12 playoff games?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Young teams (especially on the back end) blow leads. That's life in hockey. Last year's NCAA coach of the year had his team blow similar leads (including 4-0 at home to the primary rival) - not because he suddenly became a ****** coach, but because he had 3 freshman defensemen in the defense.
Had we had beaten the Bruins last year, I'd be much more inclined to agree with you, but we blew two 2 goal leads in that series too, not to mention losing three other one goal leads, and that was with a more consistent Miller and the two defensemen everyone's been pining over.

Also, this is the second year in a row that one of our best players in the postseason has been one of Dineen's guys.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Jame
Dream '16

yes, McCutcheon must go... and new offensive minded/tacticians need to be brought in

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote