HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Roberto Luongo Discussion

Old
04-27-2011, 12:30 PM
The Big Foot

vCash: 500
Roberto Luongo Discussion

What is about this guy that people always see him as "shaky"? Obviously he isn't as bad as his rep...how come people don't see other goalies this way? Look at Ryan Miller the past two games. Terrible. Not hearing much about his meltdown.

As has been said before, Luongo has a good clutch history now.

NHL - two game 7s, two goals against. Huge save last night in OT on the PK. 2 wins, 0 losses.

Olympics - won four elimination games in a row to take the gold medal. Four! Won the gold medal in overtime, made a big shoulder save right before the winner.

World Cup - came in in relief to win the semifinal, in overtime in that one too! See a pattern here?

Anyways, I'll admit I lose a little faith in Lou sometimes, but you gotta give credit where credit is due. People see what they want to see. He's somehow become underrated.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:33 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

There's good reason Vancouver is known as a goalie graveyard.

For some reason, we tend to place the blame on them entirely. It's amazing really, that in a game where our offence scores a goal or less, some people will find a way to blame the goalie. Or if he plays a fantastic game and makes 70 saves, Canuck fans tend to forget about it in the next 10 minutes, or until he lets in his next goal.

Point is, this city hates it's goaltenders for some reason, and we finally have a good one that everyone wants to kick out of town.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
VanEric

People put every single save and movement he makes under the microscope.

Hold any other goalie up to that scrutiny and you'll see the same things.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
skywarp75

its true, lou's meltdowns were team meltdowns, not entirely his fault. Also as the OP points out, his record in clutch games is very good.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Tiranis

In the Nashville vs Vancouver thread people are already proclaiming how "Rinne is an amazing goaltender" whereas "Luongo looked shaky and can be exploited". You would think that Luongo was the guy with .876 series Sv% and 9GA in 4 wins and Rinne was the guy with .903 series Sv% and 6GA in 4 wins.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
deckercky

In the Olympics, Luongo was shaky but made the saves he had to. Last night, even though he gave up a late goal, he was rock solid and steady. It was a crazy rebound goal and wasn't a bad goal to let in. Aside from games 4 and 5 (and even early during those games) Luongo has been amazing this playoffs.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
There's good reason Vancouver is known as a goalie graveyard.
Wouldn't happen anything to do with the all the schmucks Burke brought in would it?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
The Big Foot

I wish one of the brilliant gif makers around here could put together a shaky Luo.. my brain is fried today and a gif could probably entertain me for a solid hour.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:56 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Wouldn't happen anything to do with the all the schmucks Burke brought in would it?
No I think it has alot more to do with the people in this city.

Old
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
opendoor

I can only assume it's something about his personality that rubs people the wrong way because I've never really seen anything like it in hockey before. Tons of people (even some so-called Canuck fans) are just dying to see the guy fail because they get some sort of perverse satisfaction out of his struggles. And in an effort to satisfy that feeling they'll put every minutia of his game under the microscope and fanaticize over things like body language or his game day routine in an effort to discredit him.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
No I think it has alot more to do with the people in this city.
Agreed, way too many armchair analysts here.

Brodeur would have been run out of town about six years ago.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I can only assume it's something about his personality that rubs people the wrong way because I've never really seen anything like it in hockey before. Tons of people (even some so-called Canuck fans) are just dying to see the guy fail because they get some sort of perverse satisfaction out of his struggles. And in an effort to satisfy that feeling they'll put every minutia of his game under the microscope and fanaticize over things like body language or his game day routine in an effort to discredit him.
I can get why fans of other teams have fun rooting against him but it's more the media, especially the national media that I don't understand. I'm not sure what he ever did to these guys to make them want to see him fail so badly.

He's never killed anyone in a car accident, he's never got caught cheating on his wife with her sister, he's never been racist or bigoted in an interview, he's never expressed joy at intentionally injuring other players, and yet so many the last few days were taking great joy in seeing him suffer.

He's just a guy who clearly cares only about one thing and that's the Stanley Cup. He's undoing in the past seems to be that he wants it too much that he psyches himself out. What a horrible person!

Old
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Borvat
Ho Borvat

Only shaky thing about Luongo last night was his glove hand but he managed to recover just fine.

Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post

Insane. Acting like Luongo doesn't deserve any blame for what happened with this team the last three playoffs is every bit as wrong as blaming him alone.

I've been critical of Luongo. I haven't like his attitude at times and I feel like he's been weak mentally in the past. I LOVE that he changed things up last night. I love that he looked fired up before the game (Cherry hasn't completely lost it, he still picks up on things that others miss). But most of all I love that this team all came together. Luongo played well enough for the team to win and the team found a way to get it done. Neither of those things had happened when it mattered most for this team against the Hawks.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post

How many goalies have been really "run out of town" in the entire 40 year history of the Canucks? And I don't mean by the GM (eg., Burke on Irbe & Crawford on Hedberg).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Insane. Acting like Luongo doesn't deserve any blame for what happened with this team the last three playoffs is every bit as wrong as blaming him alone.

I've been critical of Luongo. I haven't like his attitude at times and I feel like he's been weak mentally in the past. I LOVE that he changed things up last night. I love that he looked fired up before the game (Cherry hasn't completely lost it, he still picks up on things that others miss). But most of all I love that this team all came together. Luongo played well enough for the team to win and the team found a way to get it done. Neither of those things had happened when it mattered most for this team against the Hawks.
Absolutely.

Problem is most supporters of Luongo, will almost always tell you that the blame has to go around the whole team. I don't see many of us saying that he had no fault at all in the meltdowns against chicago.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
VanEric

Of course he shares in the blame. The Game 6 in 2009 is mostly on him. You can't, however, look back at the whole series and pin it all on him. They backed themselves into a corner with missed chances.

If he had sucked in this game last night, it would have been on him because the team played well. Last year and in Games 4 and 5 this year, they didn't deserve to win those games at all. This year, they deserved to win the series and they did.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
In the Olympics, Luongo was shaky.
But not as shaky as HOF lock Brodeur....right?

Your fanbase is beyond hyper-critical of this guy. He is good at what he does. He has some bad games. EVERY elite goalie does.

/story.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
Rinne had an absolutely horrible first round. His save pctg speaks for itself. Series might've been different if anaheim had managed more than 20 shots in a few of those games.

I give Luongo **** though too. I just watch him sometimes and he doesn't look as calm as I feel he should. I hate to be this guy, but Carey Price always seems to have veins of icewater, nothing gets to him and he looks so cool and in control with his movements whereas Lu sometimes has a tendency to overplay himself or flop around instead of focusing on getting square with the puck and being big. I'm not saying one of them is ultimately a better goalie because Price has let in some stinkers and Lu has made some amazing saves in the series, but I dunno.

He definitely doesn't deserve half the crap he gets on this board though, every goalie has had a few bad games this postseason, no one is giving Bryzgalov crap for absolutely disappearing and like I said, Nashville pretty much won in spite of Rinne, not because of him. Thomas hasn't looked at all like the future Vezina winner for most of his series, Price has let some seriously weak bounces and shots past his glove, Philly is a joke all around in the goaltending department and Miller absolutely **** the bed for game 7. Niemi? Lol Niemi. Howard and the Wings came seriously close to letting Phoenix back into the series on multiple occasions.. etc. But no, because it was a Hawks/Canucks matchup, and because it was LUONGO, he'll get all the ****. If the team plays poorly, it's Luongo's fault for being a lousy goaltender and if the team does well, then they "protected" Luongo. He'll always get all the blame and none of the credit from the haters and there are a ton on this board.

Kings, Oilers, Flames, and Hawks fans all definitely hate us. Quite a few Leafs fans do because of this dumb "We hate you because you hate us" thing that both fanbases seem to have. FLYERS FANS were rooting against us for some reason, possibly ******** over the regular season game we played, I don't know. I know the Wings fans were split, I think they hated both teams quite a bit but I actually saw Wings fans cheering on the Hawks in various GDTs... absolutely bizarre. There's a ton of people just waiting with baited breath for Luongo to have a bad night so they can all leap up and proclaim SEE! I TOLD YOU HE SUCKED IN THE PLAYOFFS! and ignore any other goalie that let in 7 goals on 20 shots.

eli J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:39 AM
biturbo19

There's a lot more to being a goaltender than getting wins and stopping pucks.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Johnny Canucker

Shaky lu only coes out vs the hawks or wild, so we should be ok this series.

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:34 AM
TheNeutral

Send a message via AIM to TheNeutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli J View Post
Rinne had an absolutely horrible first round. His save pctg speaks for itself. Series might've been different if anaheim had managed more than 20 shots in a few of those games.

I give Luongo **** though too. I just watch him sometimes and he doesn't look as calm as I feel he should. I hate to be this guy, but Carey Price always seems to have veins of icewater, nothing gets to him and he looks so cool and in control with his movements whereas Lu sometimes has a tendency to overplay himself or flop around instead of focusing on getting square with the puck and being big. I'm not saying one of them is ultimately a better goalie because Price has let in some stinkers and Lu has made some amazing saves in the series, but I dunno.

He definitely doesn't deserve half the crap he gets on this board though, every goalie has had a few bad games this postseason, no one is giving Bryzgalov crap for absolutely disappearing and like I said, Nashville pretty much won in spite of Rinne, not because of him. Thomas hasn't looked at all like the future Vezina winner for most of his series, Price has let some seriously weak bounces and shots past his glove, Philly is a joke all around in the goaltending department and Miller absolutely **** the bed for game 7. Niemi? Lol Niemi. Howard and the Wings came seriously close to letting Phoenix back into the series on multiple occasions.. etc. But no, because it was a Hawks/Canucks matchup, and because it was LUONGO, he'll get all the ****. If the team plays poorly, it's Luongo's fault for being a lousy goaltender and if the team does well, then they "protected" Luongo. He'll always get all the blame and none of the credit from the haters and there are a ton on this board.

Kings, Oilers, Flames, and Hawks fans all definitely hate us. Quite a few Leafs fans do because of this dumb "We hate you because you hate us" thing that both fanbases seem to have. FLYERS FANS were rooting against us for some reason, possibly ******** over the regular season game we played, I don't know. I know the Wings fans were split, I think they hated both teams quite a bit but I actually saw Wings fans cheering on the Hawks in various GDTs... absolutely bizarre. There's a ton of people just waiting with baited breath for Luongo to have a bad night so they can all leap up and proclaim SEE! I TOLD YOU HE SUCKED IN THE PLAYOFFS! and ignore any other goalie that let in 7 goals on 20 shots.
I would say the hatred stems less from the team, than it does with people's desire to upset your fanbase. There were a LOT of people out there who got sick and tired of the Canuck's fans gloating with cockyness all season long. At one point on the main boards, before the Chicago series even began, there was a thread asking who Sedin would pass the cup to.

That says a lot.

Luongo is obviously a top notch goalie. The man has won an Olympic gold medal and, as previously pointed out, has backstopped two game 7 wins. I also liked the point of view someone mentioned earlier in the thread, suggesting that people dislike Luongo because of his personality. That could very well be the case. He doesn't have that typical hockey player persona.

Either way, there is a lot of commotion encompassing Luongo's career. At this point, I'd say it's most likely here to stay, however undeserved as it may be.

TheNeutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutral View Post
I would say the hatred stems less from the team, than it does with people's desire to upset your fanbase. There were a LOT of people out there who got sick and tired of the Canuck's fans gloating with cockyness all season long. At one point on the main boards, before the Chicago series even began, there was a thread asking who Sedin would pass the cup to.

That says a lot.

Luongo is obviously a top notch goalie. The man has won an Olympic gold medal and, as previously pointed out, has backstopped two game 7 wins. I also liked the point of view someone mentioned earlier in the thread, suggesting that people dislike Luongo because of his personality. That could very well be the case. He doesn't have that typical hockey player persona.

Either way, there is a lot of commotion encompassing Luongo's career. At this point, I'd say it's most likely here to stay, however undeserved as it may be.
The only thing it shows is that people like to take the worst posts on the internet and make it apply to a large majority of the fans of a team. Some just do it to get a reaction out of everyone because they know everyone will be like 'zomgz, look at these cocky canucks fans'. It entertains them and people fall for it all of the time.

The hate for Luongo comes from having incredible hype for his skill, but mentally collapsing 2 years in a row against the hawks. I'm sure all of the constant 'luuuuuu' chants just drive other fans to want to hate him more. the entire team may have collapsed against the hawks in previous years, but watching lu fall apart was just depressing. he wants to win so much that if he lets in a bad goal he gets so emotional and it can completely throw him off. he has improved a lot over this season with the help of rollie melanson to clean up his game and seemed more consistent except for games 4 and 5 vs. the hawks. after beating the hawks, i think all of that anxiety will be gone from him. i expect his confidence to be at an all time high. if he starts strong in game 1, it could be lights out. go luongo go!

Last edited by luongo321: 04-28-2011 at 08:38 AM.
luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
RECsGuy*

I live in Miami, FL and I am still pissed Luongo doesn't play for the Panthers. Canucks fans, consider yourselves lucky.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
The Pucks

Luongo is called shaky based on his appearance when stopping the puck. How many of you get a bit nervous when you see him juggling the puck after a save or giving up a big rebound?

I base his shaky rep on his play minute by minute on the ice, he just hasnt seemed to be able to get comfortable.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote