HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roberto Luongo Discussion

Old
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Tretiak 20

vCash: 500
Part of what I think a lot of people don't like is his tendency to flop around a bit to make the save (especially for rebounds). Most younger goalies have a much smaller save selection due to every goalie coach on the planet only teaching the butterfly/block/don't even think of doing anything else because it's not effective technique. I know he was schooled by Francois Allaire (modern butterfly) growing up, but he definitely has some old school (80s) goalie tendencies as well. This being said, I don't remember anyone saying Hasek was shaky, so I don't know.

As for his catching glove, the people who say he's bad with it do not watch Lundqvist. Not that Lundqvist has a bad glove hand, but he does not catch as many pucks; he blocks them then covers up.

Tretiak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
VanEric

Maybe that's where some of the talk comes from because a lot of the time I see people write that he's "flopping around" and I figure I'm just watching a different game.

Luongo has always been a guy who will abandon his 'system' when he feels he just needs to make a save. He'll drop his stick, he'll dive across, he'll stack the pads, he'll contort his body. Contrast that to an Ilya Bryzgalov who is like a robot in net and looks lazy on goals against because he's trying to look perfect in his technique.

For all this shaky talk it's like people forget games 1,3, and the start of game 4. Or the entire regular season. Other goalies are giving up the same types of rebounds or bobbles that people crap on Luongo for but they're not under the microscope so we don't hear about them. As good as Crawford was in Game 7, I watched the game again last night and there are loose pucks all over the place and awkward rebounds because the Canucks kept shooting from odd angles on him on purpose.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
The Big Foot

So I kind of started this thread thinking it would turn into a bit of a joke, but all day I keep seeing posts about how Luongo is "shaky". It's so ridiculous. The guy just won one of the biggest games in Canucks history.

How about his critics get a little more creative? There's got to be other words to describe his play, if it's so bad?

I think people feel justified calling him shaky because it's their perception of him and they can't put their finger on anything real - there's nothing substantiated, but because of whatever prejudice people get when watching Lou, they feel he's apt to **** the bed. I think it's more in the eye of the beholder than something real to be honest.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
The guy just won one of the biggest games in Canucks history.
I have to disagree with that quote from you. The team won one of their biggest games in the past decade, Luongo was only part of it, and not a big part at that. The way Vancouver dominated play for the most part, Luongo's work load wasn't that much.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
I have to disagree with that quote from you. The team won one of their biggest games in the past decade, Luongo was only part of it, and not a big part at that. The way Vancouver dominated play for the most part, Luongo's work load wasn't that much.
And yet if they lost it would all be Luongo's fault. Lovely.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:12 PM
skywarp75

Quote:

yeah this is a perfect example of the veiled trolls. captain hindsight. lou's save on sharp in OT wasnt big. we won because the team played well. but in games 4 and 5 we lost because our goalie let us down. typical horrible logic fueled by haterade.

There was only 1 leader on the team who didnt show up all series long, and his name is Henrik.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:28 PM
JamesBond*

Luongo is seen as shaky at times for a variety of good reasons, including his well documented meltowns against Chicago for 3 consecutive years and his propensity to allow goals late in pivotal games (see Olympics, 2 nights ago, etc.).

Do you honestly have confidence in him that he will shut the door late in the game?

All that said, I am very eager to see Luongo in round 2. Aside from his Chicago series, the other 3 playoff series he has played in, he has been (arguably) the MVP of each.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:29 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
OMG. 31/32 for saves. Cmon. Give him his due. "Not a big part?"

Old
04-28-2011, 05:31 PM
The Big Foot

So do you see Thomas the same way? Gave up a late one, on a point shot..

No credit if the Canucks win, all the blame if they lose. I guess that's the way it will always be here.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
So do you see Thomas the same way? Gave up a late one, on a point shot..

No credit if the Canucks win, all the blame if they lose. I guess that's the way it will always be here.
I don't know...........are you 100% confident in Thomas after watching that Montreal series? I thought Price outplayed him.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:36 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I don't know...........are you 100% confident in Thomas after watching that Montreal series? I thought Price outplayed him.
Is anyone ever 100% confident in any goalie? Maybe if Luongo was playing in a beer league..

Old
04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Is anyone ever 100% confident in any goalie? Maybe if Luongo was playing in a beer league..
Yeah, there are some goalies you just know won't give one up, unless there is some massive breakdown. Roy, Hasek, were like that. Luongo has not shown that in the Chicago series.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Cherry was right, for once, when he said that he's never seen a goalie under more pressure then Luongo.
If we lose, some how its only his fault and if we win he was just a small part of the team. Guy can't catch a break.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
JamesBond*

Cherry once also called Luongo the best playoff goalie he has ever seen - after the 2006 playoffs.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
P-M Bouchard

Luongo's knee pads are too wide.

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Cherry once also called Luongo the best playoff goalie he has ever seen - after the 2006 playoffs.
Which is why I said for once.

Everyone has spent time around the fans that spout off "sieve" after every goal he lets in. I can't remember the last time a goalie was under this much scrutiny.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Yeah, there are some goalies you just know won't give one up, unless there is some massive breakdown. Roy, Hasek, were like that. Luongo has not shown that in the Chicago series.
Don't really agree with you there but whatever. You're proving my point more than anything.

And both the Olympics goal and the game 7 SH goal by Toews could be categorized as massive breakdowns by the defense. Great job Shea Weber tying NOONE up and letting Zach Parise whack the puck in..and great job the other night by the THREE Canucks who let Toews get to the loose puck, while on his belly!!! Jesus, both brutal team plays.

Old
05-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Link Gaetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-M Bouchard View Post
Luongo's knee pads are too wide.
And his chest&arm protector.

Link Gaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:05 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
If Luongo walked on water someone would post "Luongo can't swim".

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:10 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
If Luongo walked on water someone would post "Luongo can't swim".
I spelled "Lou" wrong in the title - d'oh! Can a mod change it??

Old
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Sedin Twins

He doesn't get the praise he should because he doesn't make as many insane acrobatic saves as goalies like Tim Thomas or MA Fleury, but thats because he is a big, positionally sound goalie who can read the play well, and makes saves off rebounds look easier.
He does let in weak goals, but most of the time its because some poor puck handling or something (esp. in these playoffs). The weak goals stick out more because thats the most remarkable thing about him: He won't be making 3 highlight reel saves a game because he plays in a manner that you don't have to, and when he lets in a weak goal (as evry goalie does) its magnified.
Plus I think expectations are way too high for any goalie other than maybe hasek in his prime. Fans here honestly expect him to stop every breakaway, shootout attempt and 2 on 1.

Sedin Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Game 6, western conference final, 2002. Tied 0-0. YouTube "Roy statue of liberty".

Game 7, eastern conference quarter final, 2009. Up 3-2, Brodeur allows 2 goals in the final 1:20 to give Carolina the win and series.

Nobody is immune to brain farts..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedin Twins View Post
He doesn't get the praise he should because he doesn't make as many insane acrobatic saves as goalies like Tim Thomas or MA Fleury, but thats because he is a big, positionally sound goalie who can read the play well, and makes saves off rebounds look easier.
He does let in weak goals, but most of the time its because some poor puck handling or something (esp. in these playoffs). The weak goals stick out more because thats the most remarkable thing about him: He won't be making 3 highlight reel saves a game because he plays in a manner that you don't have to, and when he lets in a weak goal (as evry goalie does) its magnified.
Plus I think expectations are way too high for any goalie other than maybe hasek in his prime. Fans here honestly expect him to stop every breakaway, shootout attempt and 2 on 1.
The problem with Luongo is that for some reason the spectrum of a 'weak goal' is SIGNIFICANTLY larger when talking about Luongo.

I mean, people were blaming him for goals against on a 3-5. Or breakaway goals that were placed perfectly. Or 2-0's stemming from terribly defensive plays. Or a wide-open Marleau left by his own right in front of the net.

Those aren't weak goals, those are just goals.

Luongo hasn't let in many 'weak' goals these playoffs at all.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Game 6, western conference final, 2002. Tied 0-0. YouTube "Roy statue of liberty".

Game 7, eastern conference quarter final, 2009. Up 3-2, Brodeur allows 2 goals in the final 1:20 to give Carolina the win and series.

Nobody is immune to brain farts..
Or when Marty scored on himself in the Finals.

**** happens to goalies, it's all about how you handle it. One bad/funny goal hasn't led to 2 or 3 or 4 for Luongo. If anything, he tightens up after one happens and shuts the door.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Scurr

It's halarious to read this thread. The same guys that are saying Lu shouldn't get all the blame for those loses are up in arms that guys don't want to give him all the credit for the wins.

Shaky Lu is part of what makes Lu so good imo. Even when he isn't playing at his very best he's finding ways to stop the puck. There are times when he is economical in his movements and seems ultra relaxed. When he plays like that his rebound control is better, catches the puck better and gererally keeps the puck infront of him. Then there are times when he overreacts to make the first save and has to battle for rebounds. The first guy is the best goalie in the league imo, the second is somewhere in the top 10. Either is good enough to win a cup for this team imo.

I think we've only seen the best Lu has in games 1 and 3 against Chicago and game 5 vs the Sharks. I'd like him to have his best game more but I do admire his battle in the net. I don't think it's a shot at Lu when people say he looks shaky. I think it's just people that have seen him play at his best noticing he isn't quite there. I think some of you have become ultra sensative and are lumping shaky in with choker and seive, I just don't see it that way.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote