HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Who is the captain?

Old
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Tyler EFFING Myers.

/end thread and the entire know universe should implode upon the reading of those words.

My first Sabres jersey shall be 57 with a "C".

He leads on the ice. He speaks like a leader. And carries himself like a leader. His game and his attitude define Sabres hockey.

He is very young, and it's an unfair amount of pressure to put on him if you have the bitter veteran types on the team. So maybe it's a couple years premature, but my jersey will have the C because I am a visionary.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
Team defense fell apart, penalty kill was noticeably less effective, that supportive voice on the bench was gone. He's clearly a leader on both offense, defense, and vocally.
How do you know that wasn't because of Tim Connolly's absence? That's the biggest piece of speculative evidence I've ever seen. Supportive voice on the bench was gone? How in the world can you possibly know that?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:45 AM
NoClue4u

I think Vanek would be a good choice or Pommers. I like Gerbe's work ethic and I think that is a good thing to have in a captain, but he is still too new at the NHL. I hope he gets a letter down the road. Out of curiosity why can't a goalie be captain? I know the rules say so, but what is the reason behind them?

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue4u View Post
I think Vanek would be a good choice or Pommers. I like Gerbe's work ethic and I think that is a good thing to have in a captain, but he is still too new at the NHL. I hope he gets a letter down the road. Out of curiosity why can't a goalie be captain? I know the rules say so, but what is the reason behind them?
The captain has to relay information between the officials and the bench. Or he's supposed to anyway. The league doesn't want games delayed while goalies are skating all over the ice talking to people.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
The captain has to relay information between the officials and the bench. Or he's supposed to anyway. The league doesn't want games delayed while goalies are skating all over the ice talking to people.
Bingo. That's why they put the rule in place in the 40's.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:03 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I wish fans who watch the team on the teevee a few hours a week would stop trying to think they know who should be the captain.

Let the players/coaches decide this stuff. They know what's going on in that room. We don't.
Than what the **** are you doing on a message board, *******? If you want to strictly hear things from the players/coaches, go check out Bucky Gleason.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
OkimLom

I feel that all players that are "leaders" should speak up no matter if they have a letter or not. Some guys play better if they do have the letter on their chest(Vanek, Pominville). Some play worse when they have a letter(Roy). If giving Vanek the "C" will mean we are gonna see the Vanek from the 2nd half give it to him.

Vanek-C
Pominville-A
Myers-A

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote