HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First round forward performance?

Old
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
unintelligence

vCash: 500
First round forward performance?

In the same vein as RAF's thread (here), how would you rate the guys up front on their first round performance?

Anybody stand out to you? Have a breakout series like Vlasic ? Turn out to be a disappointment? Should MC The Lellan remix a line or two?

Let's hear your thoughts/opinions/comments/suggestions/criticisms/musings/drivel

unintelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Jesus Toews*

Clowe
Couture
Pavelski
Wellwood
Marleau
Heatley
Thornton
Setoguchi
Mitchell

And the rest are pretty much INC. The line combos are clicking so there's no need to change them.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Love how wellwood handles the puck and is always able to get passes out even under pressure. He also tries hard even when he had 2 kings guys on him he was still looking for the pass. great compliment to pavelski.

One bad thing is sometimes I don't think Pavelski or mitchell expected the passes he was going to dish out, could be lack of communication.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

I'd quickly rate the forwards based on not a whole lot of deliberation:

Clowe
Couture
Pavelski
Heatley
Wellwood
Thornton
Setoguchi
Mitchell
Marleau
Nichol
Mayers
McGinn
Eager

Also, I don't see a need for any line changes. They did what they had to do and the wealth was spread around. I just wish the PP wasn't a joke (and it might have been due to the Kings PK and Quick more than anything).

RammsteinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Top 9 had their ups and down, but every game (sans Game 2) there was at least one line and several players that stood out, and that's a good sign. Whoever we play next is gonna have some difficult decisions to make regarding line-matching.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Welly/Pavs/Mitchell - B+ very good, and clutch goals

Clowe/Juicy/Heater - B gotta be more disciplined, Clowe. but did lead the comeback

4th line (Eags/Mayers/Nichol/Gin) - F ..watch the PIMs Nichol gets a passing grade, McGinn was good until the major penalty almost cost us the series. Eags deserves to be in the doghouse, but he is hurting the team by not being out there

Top Line (Seto/Patty/Jumbo) - C, avg. performance. they got better as the series went on, but werent working well as a line until the last game. needs to be better.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
rideaucrusher21

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Welly/Pavs/Mitchell - B+ very good, and clutch goals

Clowe/Juicy/Heater - B gotta be more disciplined, Clowe. but did lead the comeback

4th line (Eags/Mayers/Nichol/Gin) - F ..watch the PIMs Nichol gets a passing grade, McGinn was good until the major penalty almost cost us the series. Eags deserves to be in the doghouse, but he is hurting the team by not being out there

Top Line (Seto/Patty/Jumbo) - C, avg. performance. they got better as the series went on, but werent working well as a line until the last game. needs to be better.
Yeah, the 4th line was absolutely brutal. Anyone else want to see a Mcginn, Nichol, Ferry-O line? Just to switch it up, they can't be any worse than trotting out the other guys.

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
Yeah, the 4th line was absolutely brutal. Anyone else want to see a Mcginn, Nichol, Ferry-O line? Just to switch it up, they can't be any worse than trotting out the other guys.
Even if you believe McGinn's penalty was not worthy of 5, it was worthy of 2, which still made it a dumb inexcusable play that almost cost the Sharks. Since his name is not Wallin, he'll be in the doghouse IMHO. We'd be talking about that play ad nauseum if the Kings converted.

I'm thinking we'll see one of two 4th line options:

1.) Ferriero-Nichol-Mayers

or

2.) Eager-Nichol-Mayers

I think Mayers will stay because he's on the PK and the PK has been doing well (Except game 6) since going back to the box. Ferriero would be an interesting sub in, definitely fresh and rested. I still think Eager should be given a chance to redeem himself against either round 2 opp, but especially Chicago.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:11 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Love how wellwood handles the puck and is always able to get passes out even under pressure. He also tries hard even when he had 2 kings guys on him he was still looking for the pass. great compliment to pavelski.
One bad thing is sometimes I don't think Pavelski or mitchell expected the passes he was going to dish out, could be lack of communication.
And with all the people knocking Welly for not shooting, he looked possessed in his determination to score in Game 6 and then cashed in (but before that he had a couple of other shots too, don't know how many were on goal but he was taking the puck to the net which I liked).

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:53 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
And with all the people knocking Welly for not shooting, he looked possessed in his determination to score in Game 6 and then cashed in (but before that he had a couple of other shots too, don't know how many were on goal but he was taking the puck to the net which I liked).
Wellwood is a playoff warrior and I expect DW to try to hang onto him and White.

Eager I don't know, he really has bombed in the playoffs this year, but it's early. If the situation does not improve I'm not sure what to expect there.

My list would be:

Clowe
Couture
Pavelski
Wellwood
Heatley
Thornton
Mitchell
Seto
Marleau
Nichol
Mayers
Eager
Mcginn

Marleau needs to be better, and Seto is infuriating to watch 90% of the time. Guy needs to spend the offseason learning how to receive passes.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
in the regular season, you saw wellwood getting knocked down and muscled off the puck pretty easily at times. in the playoffs so far, no matter how hard you push him or try to muscle him off the puck, he's still able to hang on most of the time. did he just magically gain like 20-30 pounds of muscle at the start of the playoffs or something?

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:50 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
in the regular season, you saw wellwood getting knocked down and muscled off the puck pretty easily at times. in the playoffs so far, no matter how hard you push him or try to muscle him off the puck, he's still able to hang on most of the time. did he just magically gain like 20-30 pounds of muscle at the start of the playoffs or something?
He's been hanging around Wallin for long enough, I'm sure it's something like that. He'll be the next Frederick Dukes by the end of the POs

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
Imo Mayers has to be on the 4th line, along with Nichol they are the only 4th liners we have that can kill penaltys. The third spot, however, seems to be a revolving door.

Having 2 4th liners that can kill penaltys helps keep our top guys from using up too many minutes PKing.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
magic school bus

Heatley looked great in this series - even before the goal. hes been skating well, and looked faster.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:19 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Heatley looked great in this series - even before the goal. hes been skating well, and looked faster.
The goal 18 seconds (or whatever it was) into the first period of game 1?

Old
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
2nd and 3rd lines were great and the 1st line had flashes of goodness. 4th line didn't look good in any game besides game 1 and they'll need to fix that for Chicago or Detroit.

I really liked Mitchell this series. 4 points, +3. Played hard. Something really good going on with the helicopter line. This is the type of line you need in the playoffs.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
Agreed. Even fine defensively as well. Remember last year when it looked like a 5 year old could out-skate him? I know he was injured but he looks much better right now.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
The goal 18 seconds (or whatever it was) into the first period of game 1?
haha no. the goal last night. he must be feeling healthy, cuz i havent seen him skate this well all year. he slowed down a little last night, but hes got some extra jump goin right now.

Wellwood was also impressive. pretty much the same guy we saw is the reg year, but thats a goos thing. hes crafty and good along the wall. Pavs and Welly are carrying that line.

Old
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
polmaniac932

Interesting stat concerning Wellwood: he has played in 41 games with the Sharks, and has yet to take a penalty. Talk about discipline.

polmaniac932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
unintelligence

Quote:
Wellwood was also impressive. pretty much the same guy we saw is the reg year, but thats a goos thing. hes crafty and good along the wall. Pavs and Welly are carrying that line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polmaniac932 View Post
Interesting stat concerning Wellwood: he has played in 41 games with the Sharks, and has yet to take a penalty. Talk about discipline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eid Ma Clack Shaw View Post
I really liked Mitchell this series. 4 points, +3. Played hard. Something really good going on with the helicopter line. This is the type of line you need in the playoffs.
mitchell - 1G, 3A, 4P, +3
pavelski - 3G, 1A, 4P, +4
wellwood - 1G, 3A, 4P, +6

i'm really digging the 3rd line right now

unintelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:10 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by polmaniac932 View Post
Have you seen him when there are scrums in front of the net. He's doing one of two things:

A)looking on from a distance with no intention of joining.
or
B)Stuck in the fight and getting rag dolled in the pile.

Old
04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Matalvatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Even if you believe McGinn's penalty was not worthy of 5, it was worthy of 2, which still made it a dumb inexcusable play that almost cost the Sharks. Since his name is not Wallin, he'll be in the doghouse IMHO. We'd be talking about that play ad nauseum if the Kings converted.

I'm thinking we'll see one of two 4th line options:

1.) Ferriero-Nichol-Mayers

or

2.) Eager-Nichol-Mayers

I think Mayers will stay because he's on the PK and the PK has been doing well (Except game 6) since going back to the box. Ferriero would be an interesting sub in, definitely fresh and rested. I still think Eager should be given a chance to redeem himself against either round 2 opp, but especially Chicago.
What about bringing Dejardins back up? I know he's a rookie, he's not anything super amazing, but I'm an advocate of why fix what's not broken? The kid played hard in Nichol's stead, and we won a lot of games during that stretch...

On that note, does Dejardins get Nichol's fourth line spot next year?

Matalvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:21 PM
gonegonegone*

our 4th line sucked but just put mayers and nichol on it and whoever for the 3rd slot, can even do a 7th dman if you want. my thinking is, we have 3 good lines now, so let's just roll those 3 nearly 20 mins a pop. nichol and mayers should only see action on the PK or the occasional breather.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:28 PM
rideaucrusher21

Not sure why Mayers has to be on the 4th line. He hasn't spent significant time on the PK this series. Usually the forward pairings for PK are Pavs-Marleau, Nichol/Couture-Mitchell, and Thornton-Heatley. I really think Ferriero could make that 4th line much more dangerous, he has a decent shot. I also love Nichol's energy and face off ability. He's been the only reliable member of that line.

Agree with others rankings for the most part. But I think Marleau is not getting enough credit. He played awesome, scored some timely goals and seemingly chipped in every game(cept game 2 of course). I thought he used his speed very effectively on the outside, created multiple chances per game.

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 07:15 PM
RAF

I didn't like Joe except game 6, no problems with Seto, Marleau played well(he didn't show up until the Hawks series last year), but not great.

Couture just gets it, Clowe lead the team in points but had some horrible lapses, and I thought Heater played really well, he's just sooo slow and overpaid...

The third line was the Sharks best IMO, Pavelski is the type of guy that tightens the *******s of opposing fans when the puck is on his stick...

Nichol had his moments, McGinn was fine until that bs boarding penalty(and that's not even a two minute minor with 3:00 left in a PO game, Drew didn't protest because Vs picked up their broadcast.)
I honestly don't remember eager doing anything other then fighting Clifford, and Mayers was Mayers, he's just not very good.

RAF is offline   Reply With Quote