Fomitchev - Spiridonov - Lyubimov

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2004, 04:46 AM
Hellström

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Fomitchev - Spiridonov - Lyubimov

I´d love to get a little update on these guys.
All former Oiler property and i´ve seen, that Fomitchev posted good numbers in Russia, as Spiridonov did.
Are they core players in their teams ? Any chance of seeing them playing for Russia at the WCs ?

Thx in advance !

Old
07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

Is this Fomitchev related at all to Sergei Fomitchev?

Old
07-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Soyuz

Fomichev is doing very well. The young goalie first signed with Sibir and was supposed to be the backup, but wrestled away the starting position and even got the invitation to the national team for the WC (3rd goalie). He sigend with CSKA in the summer, where he will share the starting job with a Slovak goalie.

Spiridonov did really well with Amur a couple of years back - was one of Russia's top snipers. Signed a good deal with Lokomotiv, but struggled (relatively speaking) and was "loaned" back to Amur, where he picked up his scoring touch again. He is a key player on a weak team, but doesn't make the impact of that core guy.

Lyubimov - did not do so great - had a marginal season. I think he spent the season with a couple of different teams ...forget the name though - I think one was Lada and the other Sibir -not sure though.

Old
07-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Hellström

Thanks a lot Soyuz !

Good to hear about Fomitchev and Spiridonov doing well.

Old
07-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Allan

It's great that Fomitchev is doing well, but just FYI, he is no longer Oiler's property. They put him on their defected list when he went back to Russia, so if he were to return to the NHL, he could sign anywhere.

From GuyF's interview with Kevin Prendergast: Link
Quote:
HF: Alexander Fomitchev has been stellar this year in Russia and he's a player that you once drafted.
KP: We drafted him but we don't own his rights anymore. He's a great young man and I wish him all the best. At that time when we had him, small goaltenders were just having a hard time playing so we released him at that point to give him an opportunity to go somewhere else and he went back home where he's making the best of it.

HF: I thought that an NHL owned a European player's rights until they eventually play in North America?
KP: That's true but you can drop them if you want to. It's called a defected list and if you want to drop them off to defected status it basically makes them a free agent to give them that opportunity and that's what we did, we gave him an opportunity.

Old
07-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Hellström

Thx, but i know
That´s why i wrote "all former Oiler property"

Closed Thread