HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs re-sign Niklas Sundstrom

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Petey21

vCash: 500
Habs re-sign Niklas Sundstrom

It said in Swedish media today that Niklas Sundström has signed a new two-year contract with Montreal, but I can't find any official info on this from any NHL or Montreal related website, has anyone heard this? It said he turned down an offer to play for his hometown's team MoDo Hockey to play for the Canadiens instead, but will play for MoDo in case there's a lockout.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Any link? If it's true then it will probably be written on the habs website within 24 hours.

Last edited by Kerberos: 07-13-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Old
07-13-2004, 08:52 AM
eddy

If this is true I think it's some good news, Sundstroms a good 2-way player and should do well playing 3/4 line and PKing. If he's on the 3rd with Bonk maybe playing with him will open up his offencive game a bit because he is a bit of an underachiver for the offencive abilities he does have. This would also give somone like Plekcanek or maybe even Higgins less of a chance of making the team right out of camp. Also hope Sunny's contract is much cheaper than the previous one.

Last edited by eddy: 07-13-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old
07-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Legolas

Have not heard anything about this. It's a given he would play for MoDo though with Forsberg and Naslund in the event of a lockout...reuniting that infamous line.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Any link? If it's true then it will probably be written on the habs website within 24 hours.
Ya if i could be that the news hasent spread here yet after first being reported in modo.

Well i cant say im excited, but if he came cheap, you really cant go wrong with Sunny. He may fit in well on a more offensive line of Bulis and Bonk.

Bulis, Bonk, Sunny----not to bad at all!
Higgins/ UFA tough guy, Begin, Ward---I guess that would be our fourth then.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Beurk! Beurk!

I have coffee all over my keyboard now. Man this guy sucks big time. Now i will be stuck watching him play....Well I guess I will have to root for a lockout!

Old
07-13-2004, 09:04 AM
ME

I think they should keep him around, he has offensive skill and can play extremely well in his own zone!!!.....as much as i want to see some of the prospects come up and play you cant just dump five or six of them in your lineup and expect them all to contribute, they will all eventually get their shot at the nhl, but for now sundstom is ready to take on a 3rd or 4th line role, some of these young guys just wouldnt react well to playing a checking line role!!!....i hope the sundstom rumor is true..and stays for one or two more years!!

Old
07-13-2004, 09:07 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Beurk! Beurk!

I have coffee all over my keyboard now. Man this guy sucks big time. Now i will be stuck watching him play....Well I guess I will have to root for a lockout!
He's not worth the 2m$ he would have have made this year if BG had qualified him, but for a (much) lower salary he's way more effective than Dackell on the 3rd line and can even
sometimes play on the 2nd line or 2nd PP unit.

If true it's good news!

Old
07-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Howie Morenz

I hope it's for dirt cheap.. He is the guy who cost us game three against the Bolts. He didn't want to take the hit along the boards to chip the puck out of the zone.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Petey21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
The only place where I have seen it so far is on Swedish "Text-TV" which is hard to describe what it is, but they do have an online version of their news as well. However the link is only valid for a day as they recycle the pages every day and fill them with fresh news and notes.

http://www.svt.se/texttv/328.html

It reads (in Swedish):

HOCKEY Niklas Sundström väljer NHL före spel i Modo. Han har tecknat nytt tvåårskontrakt med Montreal Canadiens. Blir det lockout kommer han dock gärna hem till Modo. -Om de vill ha mig och försäkringsfrågan går att lösa, säger han till Expressen.

Translated into English it says:

HOCKEY Niklas Sundström choses the NHL instead of playing for Modo. He has signed a new two-year contract with the Montreal Canadiens. If there's a lockout he'd like to play for Modo. -If they want me and the insurance issue is solved, he says to Expressen.

Expressen is a Swedish tabloid, but I haven't seen this on their online site though (it might be in the printed edition though).

Anyway, this is weird, I thought he was an unrestricted free agent? Wonder what made the Canadiens change their mind if this is true?

Old
07-13-2004, 09:43 AM
aHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21
Anyway, this is weird, I thought he was an unrestricted free agent? Wonder what made the Canadiens change their mind if this is true?
He was UFA since Habs didn't qualify him. Similar situation then what they had with Chad Kilger last season. Sundström is a useful player in a defensive role, the problem was only his salary last season.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:49 AM

I'm pretty much on board with everybody else, if he's signed for a reasonable amount, he's a good fit on the 3rd line with Bulis and Bonk, he can even fill an offensive role for a short period, as someone already mentionned, hopefully Sundstrom will find his offesive game with Bonk and Bulis...

Old
07-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I like Sunny. If he signed for 1.5-2 million a season, I think he'd look great on our top checking line with Bulis and Bonk.
Wow. I really like that actually. Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom. Three players who are great defensively and also have offensive talents.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I like Sunny. If he signed for 1.5-2 million a season, I think he'd look great on our top checking line with Bulis and Bonk.
Wow. I really like that actually. Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom. Three players who are great defensively and also have offensive talents.
Personally i think 2 mill is too much for sunny. If he could be had for a max of 1.5 mill, then id say hes worth it. I like him, but not at 2 mill.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:36 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
yeah it's a good news if he can come cheap it's okay I will give him maximum 1.5 millions he can be a great fit on the third line with Bulis and Bonk ,his offensive game is so underrated yeah he didn't had some good seasons with the habs it's easy to understand why he was playing with Joe Juneau. I am sure that he'll do great with bonk,bonk he's a more complete player he can play well offensively and defensively.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 07-13-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old
07-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Habs

Lets hope this is only a rumour, and Sundstrom will return to Europe, where he can float for the remainder of his career.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:43 AM
EaGLE1

I would prefer if CJ would be using Higgins for exemple...But maybe he is not ready yet. They know the players better than I do.

Of course a Bulis-Bonk-Sunny D sounds great.

But please, not at 2 millions a year. It's a waste of money. 1.5 max.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Subban Fan

Am i the only one who prefer by far a Bulis-Bonk-Ward to a Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom 3rd line???

Old
07-13-2004, 11:00 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1
Am i the only one who prefer by far a Bulis-Bonk-Ward to a Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom 3rd line???
Nope, Sundstrom is a waste of space, he is slow, soft and offensively limited...

He would steal a spot that a rookie deserve!

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 07-13-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old
07-13-2004, 11:01 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
no you're not...

Old
07-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Yes... eeh no.. I would prefer Ward, he is a better forechecker and can do the job Sundstrom was doing last year. And imo Ward can contribute offensively, it's just a matter of experience in the nhl. And our third line would then be bigger and grittier.

So no, you're not the only one who prefer Bulis-Bonk-Ward to Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom...

Old
07-13-2004, 11:10 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
IMO Ward is more suited for a 4th line, occasional 3rd line role. But i would give Ward 10 min of ice-time a game, not 2 min like Langdon...

Old
07-13-2004, 11:30 AM
rocketlives

Sunny inked

$500K doesn't make that much difference to me. If we can give $4M to Breezy and $3M to Rivet why not $2M to Sunny.

What concerns me more is who in the farm system will be deprived of priceless experience at the NHL level? Higgins? Hossa? Ward? as a consequence of Sunny being resigned.

Old
07-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
At the very least, he adds extra depth. With Julien, everybody has to earn their spot so if a rookie outplays him he'll get Sunny's job.

I like this signing if he comes cheap. Looking at our lineup, we have some great players but if we ever hit an injury rut, we'd be screwed. While losing Juneau, Dackell, Perreault and the gang is good for the kids, we still need depth.

Old
07-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Salary

I read that tabloid (expressen) today (the article is only in the printed version) and if i remember correctly it was:

Year 1: 9`000`000 SEK
Year 2: 9`800`000 SEK
+ perfomance bonuses
7,45 SEK / US $=
Year 1: 1`208`000
Year 2: 1`315`000

Closed Thread