HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Bruins vs Flyers - BRING ON THE FLYERS!

View Poll Results: Who will win this series?
Flyers in 4 6 2.83%
Flyers in 5 5 2.36%
Flyers in 6 18 8.49%
Flyers in 7 8 3.77%
Bruins in 4 4 1.89%
Bruins in 5 27 12.74%
Bruins in 6 115 54.25%
Bruins in 7 29 13.68%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-28-2011, 10:46 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdasmurf2 View Post
I think Horton hit 100 posts in January and February

And we sure have exorcised demons, nice load to take off our shoulders, almost like Halpern sized...

But in all seriousness, maybe its like the milestone effect where a player will sit on 29 goals forever and once they pot the 30th, they continue on their pace again. Lucic needs to fix it, whatever was clearly bothering him, just fix it.
I can't decide if there is just something wrong in his attitude/approach, or if he is injured....

....but this guy looks nothing like the PlayoffLucic we have come to love.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
I've watched JVR since his freshmen year at UNH, I'm well aware of his skill set. He's
6:04 with good hands, a willingness to go to the dirty areas and decent hockey IQ, combine that with average NHL speed and why are you surprised he's able to generate offense. I'm not saying he has the speed of Milan Lucic, he certainly faster than say Lucic, but in total HOCKEY SKATING SPEED at the forward position he's average throughout the league.
Yeah, this is the part I'm having a problem with.

If you want to say Mike Richards or Scott Hartnell have average hockey skating speed, then I'm all with you.

However, JVR has really, really good hockey skating speed. Above average, in fact. I know it, because I watch him every game, and I see him scooping up the puck in the neutral zone and blowing by defenders regularly, something that neither Richards, nor Hartnell, for example, are capable of doing.

The only forward with better hockey skating speed on the Flyers is Jeff Carter. Briere and Roo are more polished, but they mostly rely either on slipperiness or dangles. JVR just goes around people.

You said Powe was an average skater, which was already enough b.s. for me, but if you want to give a scouting report on the Flyers team speed (which is what you are effectively doing, by the way, whether you announce it or not) then you had better have your facts straight, because just as you better know the ins and outs of the Bruins, we better know what the deal over in Philly is, and we will call you out on it.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Gert B Frobe

My prediction is for a good series - I will pick the Flyers in 6.

Wonder how one-sided a poll like this one would be on the Philly board. It seems most here as well as Peter Chiarelli are very confident going into this series.

Honestly I think the whole thing depends on Boucher. He could suck or be very good but probably somewhere in between while Thomas will be somewhere between good and great. If Boucher plays well and Thomas isn't brilliant then the Flyers will take the series (yes I know that's a pretty big if)

During the first round I thought the Bruins looked very average against a very average Montreal team.

And who the hell said JVR has average speed for an NHL forward?? that is just foolishness

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Niz Bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

During the first round I thought the Bruins looked very average against a very average Montreal team.
You know what, I find no argument with that, both teams looked average at times, it didnt help that both teams would sit back on leads all the time. However I think the reason they look so average is that Montreal have given this B's team so much trouble all year. Theres something about this latest incarnation of the Canadiens which the Bruins just can't break down. I think the Flyers actually play a style of hockey that the Bruins will perform better against.

Sometimes a teams perceived performance is not just down to themselves, but the methods employed by their opponent.

Niz Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Like others have said, Lucic needs to show up this series.

If he can get going and Kaberle can help the power play (both statements I think will go hand-in-hand with each other), then I think the Bruins have a great chance in this series.

Bridges31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Well... The Bruins made a very good comeback against Montreal but people need to get real here. Our PP is brutal and we still have to see the 1st line making an impact. Even if you consider their goaltending woes, Philly is a skilled and though team. Thomas was good in his last 3 games; not so much in the first 4... It's gonna be an interesting series and while some Philly fans might think that we " don't have a chance ", i think there's a real possibility that the Bruins can knock Philly out. Still, i don't see the Bruins as a winner in this one. Philly in 6.

MODS: I voted in the wrong place in the poll. Please make the appropriate changes.

Last edited by Latrappe: 04-29-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 05:31 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
My prediction is for a good series - I will pick the Flyers in 6.

Wonder how one-sided a poll like this one would be on the Philly board. It seems most here as well as Peter Chiarelli are very confident going into this series.

Honestly I think the whole thing depends on Boucher. He could suck or be very good but probably somewhere in between while Thomas will be somewhere between good and great. If Boucher plays well and Thomas isn't brilliant then the Flyers will take the series (yes I know that's a pretty big if)

And who the hell said JVR has average speed for an NHL forward?? that is just foolishness
And the Flyers didn't look average against an average Buffalo team?

There is this thing in the NHL where some teams match up better against other teams. Montreal has had our number all year long.. I'm sure there are a couple teams that did that to the Flyers..

Bruins played the Flyers pretty damn good against them this season and Thomas is great against them. Not to say your team isn't good, because it is.. but the Bruins match up a whole hell of a let better with the Flyers than they did the Canadiens.

If you think it's going to be easy because we looked "average", think again. Bruins are taking this series.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 06:07 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post

There is this thing in the NHL where some teams match up better against other teams. Montreal has had our number all year long.. I'm sure there are a couple teams that did that to the Flyers..

Bruins played the Flyers pretty damn good against them this season and Thomas is great against them. Not to say your team isn't good, because it is.. but the Bruins match up a whole hell of a let better with the Flyers than they did the Canadiens.

If you think it's going to be easy because we looked "average", think again. Bruins are taking this series.
Boston won because montreal was brutal in 5 on 5 situation. Philly is way better in that category and if their PP click, the Bruins are in trouble.

Old
04-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Boston won because montreal was brutal in 5 on 5 situation. Philly is way better in that category and if their PP click, the Bruins are in trouble.
And if Boston's PP clicks Philly will be in trouble.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
And if Boston's PP clicks Philly will be in trouble.
Good luck with that. The bruins are a big PP failure for 90 games + and they will " suddenly " turn into a PP powerhouse? Not buying it for one second.

Old
04-29-2011, 06:29 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Good luck with that. The bruins are a big PP failure for 90 games + and they will " suddenly " turn into a PP powerhouse? Not buying it for one second.
Over the last 90 games Philly's PP has been just as bad.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Over the last 90 games Philly's PP has been just as bad.
But they have the firepower to make it happend. Not our case...

Old
04-29-2011, 07:09 AM
JMiller

Quote:
But they have the firepower to make it happend. Not our case...
They've had the firepower all year. Besides are you saying Boston doesn't have guys underperforming on the PP?

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:19 AM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

I've been looking at the So-Called "Experts" picks and most have the Flyers winning (which is funny, since most had the Sabres, a lesser team than the B's beating them in round 1). It's interesting that in the discussions you hear, that although our goaltending is far and away better than Philly, that most mention our anemic power play as the reason we will lose.

Is it me, or, as much as the B's lack of adjustments on the PP and predictability caused some of the poor play, don't you give the Habs some credit as to what they did out there on the PK? What's to say that the Flyers, who were average on the PK will do as good of a job? And what's to say that the difference between a successful PP for us and a miserable one might just be the difference between Carey Price and Boucher/Leighton/Bobowabo?

We outplayed them in the season series. We have the better goaltending. We played decent without much first line production in round 1. I don't see any reason the B's don't take the Flyers in 6.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:19 AM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Am I wrong, or in the 4 games vs. the Flyers.....Bruins 4 PPG, Flyers 0?

Old
04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
CamTheMan

I am amazed at some of the general opinions on this site. Not many giving Boston a chance. Saying we are slow, no creativity, shaky goaltending and an easily exposed defense. I know I'm a fan and all but beating teams like the Flyers after a tough series with your hated rivals is what leads to cup runs. I have a new confidence in this team that feels different than years past. If the top line wakes up and the PP finally cracks the goose egg, the Bruins have a great chance of beating this team. Get in there heads and play smart and try and decline any powerplay they are offered...

CamTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Minutes4Fighting View Post
I've been looking at the So-Called "Experts" picks and most have the Flyers winning (which is funny, since most had the Sabres, a lesser team than the B's beating them in round 1). It's interesting that in the discussions you hear, that although our goaltending is far and away better than Philly, that most mention our anemic power play as the reason we will lose.

Is it me, or, as much as the B's lack of adjustments on the PP and predictability caused some of the poor play, don't you give the Habs some credit as to what they did out there on the PK? What's to say that the Flyers, who were average on the PK will do as good of a job? And what's to say that the difference between a successful PP for us and a miserable one might just be the difference between Carey Price and Boucher/Leighton/Bobowabo?

We outplayed them in the season series. We have the better goaltending. We played decent without much first line production in round 1. I don't see any reason the B's don't take the Flyers in 6.
The reason some picked the Sabres prior to the Flyers series was that the Flyers played poorly down the stretch while Buff was one of the hottest teams in league, especially on home ice. The Flyers got much better as the series moved on and dominated the nearly the entire series. Miller was out of his mind and single handedly made it a series coupled with beyond atrocious goaltending. Goaltending so bad I haven't seen stuff like that in years and I've watched every Flyer game for a decade....3 times in 7 games the Flyers goalie gave up 3 in the 1st on some absolutely horrid goals. Overall, the Flyers played a very good defensive game and allowed very few good opportunities from the middle of the ice and that was without Pronger. Pronger at 10% is >>>> Syvret at 150%, it's night and day. He's certainly not going to play 30 mins a game but he's a very big frame, he's very smart and great outlet passing. The Flyers like the B's also struggled big time on the PP although they heated up the last 2 games (won both) once Pronger returned to the point.

If you think that the awful goaltending will continue the B's will walk through the series. Boosh played well in the series with the exception of one start and he'll be the goalie in this series so you can throw the Bob and Leighton starts out. As a Flyer fan I'm not extremely confident what kind of goaltending we'll get but I'm positive it won't be as bad as last series. It'll be a good close series.

Oh, and keep an eye on #21 on the Flyers as he's skating wide on your D for a few games with his "average" speed. That guy couldn't be more wrong. Bad luck and let's get it on!!!

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Let's go Bruins!!!!!

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 07:52 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post

Reading what the fans are saying on their board, they have been playing "average" for the last 6 weeks.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:18 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Yeah, this is the part I'm having a problem with.

If you want to say Mike Richards or Scott Hartnell have average hockey skating speed, then I'm all with you.

However, JVR has really, really good hockey skating speed. Above average, in fact. I know it, because I watch him every game, and I see him scooping up the puck in the neutral zone and blowing by defenders regularly, something that neither Richards, nor Hartnell, for example, are capable of doing.

The only forward with better hockey skating speed on the Flyers is Jeff Carter. Briere and Roo are more polished, but they mostly rely either on slipperiness or dangles. JVR just goes around people.

You said Powe was an average skater, which was already enough b.s. for me, but if you want to give a scouting report on the Flyers team speed (which is what you are effectively doing, by the way, whether you announce it or not) then you had better have your facts straight, because just as you better know the ins and outs of the Bruins, we better know what the deal over in Philly is, and we will call you out on it.
Thats just flat out hyperbole. JVR IS 6:04 with good hands and hockey IQ. If JVR
was 6:00 instead of 6:04 you would be looking at someone with the overall HOCKEY SPEED of Patrice Bergeron. You're projecting his size and frame onto his base skating skills, that simple. Ask the Bruins fans here how elite of a hockey skater Bergeron is.

If all you guys Flyer guys say Powe is fast, great I'll take your word for it, however
I've watched JVR since he was 18 and you are flat out wrong in saying he has very very good hockey skating ability. So I ask you a simple question, if JVR was 6:00 tall do you actually believe you'd be saying he was above average in speed?

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
whatsbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

on the allowance the Bride gives me?
Don't I recall posts about you getting some impressive TV, and
new car ? Granted, it may have been a while ago, but your
allowance can't be too bad.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:27 AM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
The reason some picked the Sabres prior to the Flyers series was that the Flyers played poorly down the stretch while Buff was one of the hottest teams in league, especially on home ice. The Flyers got much better as the series moved on and dominated the nearly the entire series.
I take nothing for granted, but a few other observations:

1. Buffalo was hardly a scary offensive force.
2. Didn't Miller give up an average of almost 3G a game (which is shocking considering he had 2 Shutouts) and get pulled in G7? Not sure how dominating that is.

If you throw out the two games you talk about, and expect 1 goalie to run the show for Philly this round, I still don't see Boucher as the Championship goalie. I like my chances with TT. I don't know how much of the Bos/Mon series you watched, but the first 2 games, the B's were horrifically sloppy, turning the puck over in their own zone that directly led to all of the goals scored my Mtl. After that, they played smart and were pretty tough, and didn't allow any even strength goals in Games 6/7. I expect a very entertaining series.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:28 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
The reason some picked the Sabres prior to the Flyers series was that the Flyers played poorly down the stretch while Buff was one of the hottest teams in league, especially on home ice. The Flyers got much better as the series moved on and dominated the nearly the entire series. Miller was out of his mind and single handedly made it a series coupled with beyond atrocious goaltending. Goaltending so bad I haven't seen stuff like that in years and I've watched every Flyer game for a decade....3 times in 7 games the Flyers goalie gave up 3 in the 1st on some absolutely horrid goals. Overall, the Flyers played a very good defensive game and allowed very few good opportunities from the middle of the ice and that was without Pronger. Pronger at 10% is >>>> Syvret at 150%, it's night and day. He's certainly not going to play 30 mins a game but he's a very big frame, he's very smart and great outlet passing. The Flyers like the B's also struggled big time on the PP although they heated up the last 2 games (won both) once Pronger returned to the point.

If you think that the awful goaltending will continue the B's will walk through the series. Boosh played well in the series with the exception of one start and he'll be the goalie in this series so you can throw the Bob and Leighton starts out. As a Flyer fan I'm not extremely confident what kind of goaltending we'll get but I'm positive it won't be as bad as last series. It'll be a good close series.

Oh, and keep an eye on #21 on the Flyers as he's skating wide on your D for a few games with his "average" speed. That guy couldn't be more wrong. Bad luck and let's get it on!!!
Nice try pal, but JVR wouldn't be going wide on anyone without being 6:04, that simple.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I like where the Bruins have their holes at the moment better than where the Flyers do. Overall I'll take a weakness on the power play mitigated by overall strength 5 on 5 and a good checking system, over a hole in net.

There's nothing wrong with the Bruins' goal prevention unit, generally if you score on us it's because you've beaten good players and a good system to do so, even just to get into position for that lucky bounce.

With the Flyers that's not so definite, their goaltending situation is mediocre and they have no playoff #1. They're trying to do a playoff tandem as they wait for someone to emerge. That's a bad way to have a deep run into the playoffs. It can work don't get me wrong, especially if you have a good run offensively, but it definitely reduces your margin for error. If Boston plays good counterattack hockey and can force some odd man rushes, which the Julien system is good at and the Kaberle acquisition is primed to help with, then the Bruins should score goals against the Flyers.

At that point it comes down to what the Julien system is best at. Defense.

I still think Kaberle is the key. He needs to be a force 5 on 5 with good stretch passes like the one to Ryder. The Flyers are going to be playing aggressively to keep the puck away from Boucher, that means they're going to be caught up ice several times a game, a good stretch passer is the difference between quality scoring chances and a lot of "D to D" while the Flyers get set.

My prediction is that Julien "outcoaches" Laviolette this series because Julien knows how to put Thomas in net, and Laviolette is only skilled enough to put Boucher, Leighton or Bobrovsky in.

Last edited by Dojji*: 04-29-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
22Brad Park

Alot of classy habs fans here congratulating Bruins and not only that but going step further and hoping we beat Flyers.Thanks,And as far as playing them,Bruins owe them one and in particular Mike Richards,Time to get even with him for sure

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote