HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Bruins vs Flyers - BRING ON THE FLYERS!

View Poll Results: Who will win this series?
Flyers in 4 6 2.83%
Flyers in 5 5 2.36%
Flyers in 6 18 8.49%
Flyers in 7 8 3.77%
Bruins in 4 4 1.89%
Bruins in 5 27 12.74%
Bruins in 6 115 54.25%
Bruins in 7 29 13.68%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-29-2011, 12:12 PM
doakacola*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
You can argue he shouldn't have pushed him, but to not think he could've done worse is silly.

...so someone realizing they can adapt and be more responsible at or with a given task or opportunity isn't worth acknowledging? That's like saying an alcoholic shouldn't bother even considering rehab.
Boy if I need to be compared to an alcoholic to show how much progress I've made
as an athlete in regard to injuring other players, I'd be ashamed of myself.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
No doubt, I've seen him let up on guys he could have crushed blindside. He'll always carry that reputation, not that I think he's a truly dirty, but he finishes every check, sometimes he crosses the line. I don't know, it's hard for me to explain. I don't think he's a dirty player, although sometimes he throw questionable hits. I'll just leave it at that he can be dirty, but he's no Matt Cooke.
Eh, I think I get what you're saying. Sometimes finishing checks can cross the line, given a certain context.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
...so someone realizing they can adapt and be more responsible at or with a given task or opportunity isn't worth acknowledging? That's like saying an alcoholic shouldn't bother even considering rehab.

If he never delivers a cheap shot again, I will eat my words. Yes, I am still bitter about his cheap shot on Krejci last year.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Boy if I need to be compared to an alcoholic to show how much progress I've made
as an athlete in regard to injuring other players, I'd be ashamed of myself.
The principle is the same, and you're ignoring that it would be an alcoholic going to rehab. Correcting a problem. You're also ignoring your statement conveys you disagree with people changing for the better, because once they're one way they can't be another.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:18 PM
patty59

Quote:
Eh, I think I get what you're saying. Sometimes finishing checks can cross the line, given a certain context.
Not quite what I was saying, I don't have a problem when guys finish their checks, hell, I wish the Bruins would finish every hit, especially this time of year. It was 2 statements, sometimes he crosses the line on his hits, not the finishing his hits are crossing the line.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Not quite what I was saying, I don't have a problem when guys finish their checks, hell, I wish the Bruins would finish every hit, especially this time of year. It was 2 statements, sometimes he crosses the line on his hits, not the finishing his hits are crossing the line.
Oh. Well. In that case...I don't understand yet

But don't feel like you have to keep going with me. You're being rational in your statements, and that's good enough for me.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:20 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
The principle is the same, and you're ignoring that it would be an alcoholic going to rehab. Correcting a problem. You're also ignoring your statement conveys you disagree with people changing for the better, because once they're one way they can't be another.
You do realize alcoholism is a disease right? Do you?

What disease did Mike Richards overcome making sure he didn't injure someone illegally on purpose? You Flyer fans are hilarious. I know B's fans are homers, but you guys belong in Ripleys.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP222 View Post
If he never delivers a cheap shot again, I will eat my words. Yes, I am still bitter about his cheap shot on Krejci last year.
You thought it was a cheapshot?

How so?

I hated the outcome, and not a particular fan of Richards, but I thought it was a pretty good, clean hit.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
I can see that, Richards doesn't really use stick work and yes he is a "mean" player. But my point was more that as far as "dirty" hits go, Richards would fall into that category on the Flyers. I'm no way saying he's on Cooke's level, but he sometimes crosses the line, but he's a guy who ALWAYS finishes his hits. Sometimes their from behind or blindside, but whatever. I think that's why he's perceived as dirty.

Briere does use his stick a lot, probably wouldn't do it as much if he wasn't 4'9" 115lbs though.
Exactly. Not only that, but despite being a midget, Briere is simply not a perimeter player whatsoever. He goes in the most dangerous areas of the ice to make his money and he does it well. He's going to have to get his stick up once in awhile if he's going to be able to continue doing that. I have no problem with anyone calling him dirty, because he is.

For me, Richie is just mean, in the way that Stevens or any of the old power forwards were (I do not consider Richie to be a power forward). Though Stevens would definitely be considered dirty today.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:23 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
I guarantee hell will freeze over before that ever comes true. In fact I will go on record right now that Richards will incur a suspension in this series.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:26 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
With all due respect, he really let up on conolly, didn't he?
He most assuredly did. The old Mike Richards would have broken out a fork & knife in order to feast on Connolly's still beating heart right then and there. The new Mike Richards instead let him die a relatively quick though painful death this time around. That's letting up quite a bit in my estimation.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Exactly. Not only that, but despite being a midget, Briere is simply not a perimeter player whatsoever. He goes in the most dangerous areas of the ice to make his money and he does it well. He's going to have to get his stick up once in awhile if he's going to be able to continue doing that. I have no problem with anyone calling him dirty, because he is.

For me, Richie is just mean, in the way that Stevens or any of the old power forwards were (I do not consider Richie to be a power forward). Though Stevens would definitely be considered dirty today.
I can get on board with that, I'm not saying he's a dirty player because he hits a lot, I'm not even saying he's really a dirty player, just sometimes he throws dirty hits. Lots of players do.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
You do realize alcoholism is a disease right? Do you?

What disease did Mike Richards overcome making sure he didn't injure someone illegally on purpose? You Flyer fans are hilarious. I know B's fans are homers, but you guys belong in Ripleys.
I figured to make it alcoholism because you appeared to need something drastic to understand. But you also appear to not be willing to accept Mike Richards as anything more than a borderline thug on skates, as stated earlier. If that's the case, I'm ok with it at this point.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:30 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post

How so?

I hated the outcome, and not a particular fan of Richards, but I thought it was a pretty good, clean hit.
okay, it wasn't as dirty as I remember, but he's still a scum bag.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
I figured to make it alcoholism because you appeared to need something drastic to understand. But you also appear to not be willing to accept Mike Richards as anything more than a borderline thug on skates, as stated earlier. If that's the case, I'm ok with it at this point.
Thats factually untrue. I certainly recognize the guy has talent and does in fact make key plays for his team.

However, that has nothing to do with what I've seen from this guy over his career. The hit on Booth was nothing more than a deliberate attempt to injure another player. If you or Richards can't understand that you can paralyze or permanently injure or yes kill someone with that type of hit, well I guess we are discussing two different
levels of behavior and their consequences.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:37 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
How about the hit on Wideman in G7 last year before JVR's goal? Or Connolly this year?

Old
04-29-2011, 12:46 PM
BoyntBergie

Just read on the Flyers board that apparently Shelley has been skating on the 4th line. The Flyers blogger who reported that also said to look out for Zac Rinaldo getting in the lineup.

Rinaldo has no NHL experience yet, and racked up 331 PIMs in 60 AHL games this season. He's small though- 5'11, 180.

Interesting.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I hope everyones ready to watch Krejci go down with an injury again

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Habs killer

Quote:

How so?

i concur. absolutely no way that was a penalty. Richards is a hell of a hockey player, still doesnt change the fact, flyer fans sell it how ever they want, he is an opportunist at initiating contact w/ players who are in vulnerable situations. Maybe even putting a little extra zip in his hits. There is absolutely no penalty for playing this way, but he is still POS. I hope someone buckles him on the bruins, dont confuse with trying to hurt him.

Habs killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Joseph LaMonica

Send a message via AIM to Joseph LaMonica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
The reason some picked the Sabres prior to the Flyers series was that the Flyers played poorly down the stretch while Buff was one of the hottest teams in league, especially on home ice. The Flyers got much better as the series moved on and dominated the nearly the entire series. Miller was out of his mind and single handedly made it a series coupled with beyond atrocious goaltending. Goaltending so bad I haven't seen stuff like that in years and I've watched every Flyer game for a decade....3 times in 7 games the Flyers goalie gave up 3 in the 1st on some absolutely horrid goals. Overall, the Flyers played a very good defensive game and allowed very few good opportunities from the middle of the ice and that was without Pronger. Pronger at 10% is >>>> Syvret at 150%, it's night and day. He's certainly not going to play 30 mins a game but he's a very big frame, he's very smart and great outlet passing. The Flyers like the B's also struggled big time on the PP although they heated up the last 2 games (won both) once Pronger returned to the point.

If you think that the awful goaltending will continue the B's will walk through the series. Boosh played well in the series with the exception of one start and he'll be the goalie in this series so you can throw the Bob and Leighton starts out. As a Flyer fan I'm not extremely confident what kind of goaltending we'll get but I'm positive it won't be as bad as last series. It'll be a good close series.

Oh, and keep an eye on #21 on the Flyers as he's skating wide on your D for a few games with his "average" speed. That guy couldn't be more wrong. Bad luck and let's get it on!!!
Yeah. Nearly. Except for the 3 games they lost including 2 shutouts to a crappy Buffalo team.

Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I like where the Bruins have their holes at the moment better than where the Flyers do. Overall I'll take a weakness on the power play mitigated by overall strength 5 on 5 and a good checking system, over a hole in net.

There's nothing wrong with the Bruins' goal prevention unit, generally if you score on us it's because you've beaten good players and a good system to do so, even just to get into position for that lucky bounce.

With the Flyers that's not so definite, their goaltending situation is mediocre and they have no playoff #1. They're trying to do a playoff tandem as they wait for someone to emerge. That's a bad way to have a deep run into the playoffs. It can work don't get me wrong, especially if you have a good run offensively, but it definitely reduces your margin for error. If Boston plays good counterattack hockey and can force some odd man rushes, which the Julien system is good at and the Kaberle acquisition is primed to help with, then the Bruins should score goals against the Flyers.

At that point it comes down to what the Julien system is best at. Defense.

I still think Kaberle is the key. He needs to be a force 5 on 5 with good stretch passes like the one to Ryder. The Flyers are going to be playing aggressively to keep the puck away from Boucher, that means they're going to be caught up ice several times a game, a good stretch passer is the difference between quality scoring chances and a lot of "D to D" while the Flyers get set.

My prediction is that Julien "outcoaches" Laviolette this series because Julien knows how to put Thomas in net, and Laviolette is only skilled enough to put Boucher, Leighton or Bobrovsky in.
This could be the quote of the series

Joseph LaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:

How so?

It was not a cheap shot....but it still needed to be dealt with, like in the game where they trailed 4-0 going into the third.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Nice sucker pass by Chara.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Just read on the Flyers board that apparently Shelley has been skating on the 4th line. The Flyers blogger who reported that also said to look out for Zac Rinaldo getting in the lineup.

Rinaldo has no NHL experience yet, and racked up 331 PIMs in 60 AHL games this season. He's small though- 5'11, 180.

Interesting.
The Flyers have lost a little bite with the lose of Asham. The Bruins are clearly the tougher team so they may want to add a little more muscle.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Let them add some goons and disturbers that will keep us in the series and the longer it goes the better chance we have.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Joseph LaMonica

Send a message via AIM to Joseph LaMonica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
What gave it away ?

Anyone of US going to game 1 or 2 ?

I just hope no one gets hurt. The Flyers ar SO dirty.
I'm planning on going to game 5... just not convinced that the Bruins don't sweep and I don't make it.

Joseph LaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote