HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF: (2) Philadelphia Flyers vs (3) Boston Bruins

Old
04-30-2011, 10:57 AM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Those Bruins fans who are convinced that Philly is a slow team are going to be in for a surprise, I suspect.

I also noticed that Chara was outmuscled by smaller players in the Montreal series a few times while fighting for the puck. I don't know how that happens.
Briere beat him in a similar fashion a couple times last year as well, even laying him out once. If Philly continues their persistent hard work, they can definitely take the series.
Chara has terrible balance when stationary.

If he's against the boards, just about anyone can knock him down if they get low enough. Going high doesn't really work against him.

If an opponent is against the boards, he will tattoo them.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:03 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Pump up videos?

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Pump up videos?
This should get you pumped.

Last edited by King Forsberg: 04-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:42 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
This should get you pumped.

Fixed it.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:04 PM
misterjaggers

How does this Flyers team differ from the team that defeated the Bruins in 7 games last season? Is there a substantive difference or just minor tweaks?

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:36 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
How does this Flyers team differ from the team that defeated the Bruins in 7 games last season? Is there a substantive difference or just minor tweaks?
Gagne isnt here... thats it though. We super pumped up our defense which looked ****** in the 1st game as we can see.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Goaltending is pretty much the same (though Boucher/Bobrovsky are better than Leighton, although they haven't shown it), our defense is better, and I would argue our offense is slightly better.

However, our drive last playoff push/poise seemed in a better state. We'll see going forward.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

The Flyers seem to regain their footing on the road, away from the scrutinizing eyes of the home crowd. Unfortunately, securing the split and minimizing the damage at home will not be as easy as it was against Buffalo.

The goalie dialogue is increasingly silly. I'm not sure how anyone could reasonably argue that one option would be clearly better than any another at this point. Boucher, Bobrovsky, Leighton, Backlund... Neil Little, Ron Hextall... a piece of plywood with a face painted on it... who cares.

And not for nothing, but the secondary numbers don't dictate that the Flyers were thrashed. They performed well in terms of shots, faceoffs, hits, PKs, gives/takes, etc. And Thomas was beaten three times, twice cleanly. I'm not reading tea leaves here - I'm just sayin'...

Last edited by Readyrock: 04-30-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Jester

Secondary numbers aren't worth much when one team has a commanding lead. They actually throw em out in some advanced metrics.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Secondary numbers aren't worth much when one team has a commanding lead. They actually throw em out in some advanced metrics.
Yes, indeed.

There are silver linings there, somewhere. A couple solid PKs and some promising effectiveness on Thomas, I guess.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:40 AM
coletta44

I'm happy to see some level-headed fans on this board.After a week and a half of over the top habs fans,I couldn't take it any more.We all know this series will be dirty but at least it will be "Old Time" dirty,where if you fall down,it's actually because someone HIT you.

coletta44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by coletta44 View Post
I'm happy to see some level-headed fans on this board.After a week and a half of over the top habs fans,I couldn't take it any more.We all know this series will be dirty but at least it will be "Old Time" dirty,where if you fall down,it's actually because someone HIT you.
"ration Habs fans" is an oxymoron for the most part.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Both teams, for sure, are seeing different-style opponents than in round 1. Canadiens were winning with speed, and while the Flyers are not snails, I'm not sure they can lay on the wheels to the same extent. One thing I'm going to be watching is aggressive PK to spring a breakaway or 2-on-1.
The Bruins PP might be too conservative for that. Kaberle never shoots, so they might not even bother covering him.

We'll probably just throw out Game 1. I think no matter what happens, the Flyers split in Boston, so again Game 2 has to be a tour de force effort. They're not too different than Buffalo other than they can actually play big unlike the Sabres, and they have a better goaltender.

Here's another interesting thing from BTN, was Score-Tied Fenwick ratings. We're just short of Montreal, but Boston is just short of Buffalo. The Flyers set up well as long as games don't get out of hand, and we're not putting our 4th line out against David Krejci.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
wjag

Flyers goal tending is a complete train wreck.

wjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:12 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjag View Post
Flyers <---This needs an apostrophe to show "ownership" goal tending <---- This is one word is <---Is goaltending singular? a complete train wreck.
Hey thanks for dropping by! We love friendly visitors.

Last edited by decadentia: 05-01-2011 at 11:21 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Hey thanks for dropping by! We love friendly visitors.
I don't mind telling off the odd poster who finds his way over here to point out obvious problems...but that doesn't need an apostrophe, and the "is" works just fine, since it's referring to the act and not the player(s).

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Savynquick*

The current Bruins roster has about 11 different players than the one that played game 5 and onward last year. That's half the team. I don't think it's so much a difference in the Flyer roster. It's the 11 different (or healthy) Bruins.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
The current Bruins roster has about 11 different players than the one that played game 5 and onward last year. That's half the team. I don't think it's so much a difference in the Flyer roster. It's the 11 different (or healthy) Bruins.
Well, a notable difference yesterday was that Lavi had his head shoved up his a**.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:54 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
Dear Flyers,
Tomorrow during the game I was hoping you could do something for me so that I don't have to fly into a blinding rage as I did on Saturday. Could you please not let Bruins stand directly next to the goal completely uncontested making it easy for them to get point blank chances/goals on us? Also, Matt Carle it would be a huge help if you would not pass the puck directly to a Bruin standing right next to the net. Thank you.

Last edited by whatthef: 05-02-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
our goaltending isnt good enough to recover from brutal turnovers like we have seen in the 2 OT games we have lost in OT. Some, ok most teams have the goaltending to mask brutal mistakes like we have seen in the 2 OT losses. Doesnt excuse the play or put fault in the goaltender in OT but having compitent goaltending might have saved us.
You arent going to win anything if your goalie is giving up at least 2 bad goal a game.
I am fully coonvinced if we go on to lose this series Holmgren is going to play the injury card in the reason we lost. not the real issues wrong with this team.
Goaltending.
A 4th line that can contribute and not be totally worthless out there.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
our goaltending isnt good enough to recover from brutal turnovers like we have seen in the 2 OT games we have lost in OT. Some, ok most teams have the goaltending to mask brutal mistakes like we have seen in the 2 OT losses. Doesnt excuse the play or put fault in the goaltender in OT but having compitent goaltending might have saved us.
You arent going to win anything if your goalie is giving up at least 2 bad goal a game.
I am fully coonvinced if we go on to lose this series Holmgren is going to play the injury card in the reason we lost. not the real issues wrong with this team.
Goaltending.
A 4th line that can contribute and not be totally worthless out there.
I thought I might have been the only one that saw this. Betts and Powe have been HORRENDOUS this postseason. Throw in the Shelly/Rinaldo etc, and they look as bad.

Wouldnt surprise me if Betts was playing hurt again. Powe is also playing like he doesnt want to beon the team next season. He barely got a contract this season. Playing like he has in playoffs..not going to work.

Not even going to get started on the goaltending. One POSITIVE thing in goaltending was Bob coming in last game, for the 8 or so minutes and playing lights out. I think thats a VERY good thing to see.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I thought I might have been the only one that saw this. Betts and Powe have been HORRENDOUS this postseason. Throw in the Shelly/Rinaldo etc, and they look as bad.

Wouldnt surprise me if Betts was playing hurt again. Powe is also playing like he doesnt want to beon the team next season. He barely got a contract this season. Playing like he has in playoffs..not going to work.

Not even going to get started on the goaltending. One POSITIVE thing in goaltending was Bob coming in last game, for the 8 or so minutes and playing lights out. I think thats a VERY good thing to see.
its the mentality by Holmgren of the type of players we need to have on the 4th line. Some of these guys are fine for the regular season but playoffs? I dont want them out there. I like Betts. he fits the 4th line well. But there is no need to have guys like Shelley and Rinaldo out there. Carcillo has been ok for the most part, but still I would like to have players that can contribute offensively, be defensively responsible and not look out of place out there. But we always seem we need to have 1 type of player on the 4th line.
Bobrovsky did play well. I still think Boucher gets the game 3 start. Throwing him out there in a hostile situation in a must win game is asking too much of the kid IMO

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
its the mentality by Holmgren of the type of players we need to have on the 4th line. Some of these guys are fine for the regular season but playoffs? I dont want them out there. I like Betts. he fits the 4th line well. But there is no need to have guys like Shelley and Rinaldo out there. Carcillo has been ok for the most part, but still I would like to have players that can contribute offensively, be defensively responsible and not look out of place out there. But we always seem we need to have 1 type of player on the 4th line.
Bobrovsky did play well. I still think Boucher gets the game 3 start. Throwing him out there in a hostile situation in a must win game is asking too much of the kid IMO
The hole thing is do you play an injured goalie (he broke a finger right?) who, even if its still just a finger is injured, or go with a rookie goalie. Maybe its just me, but a injured goalie worries me more than a rookie goalie.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Quote:
Outside of Gagne, the Flyers aren't much different...it's the Bruins who have had an overhaul

Out: Wheeler, Strum, Wideman, Satan, Begin, Hunwick, Sobotka

In: Campbell, Horton, Kelly, Marchand, Peverly, Kaberle

Add to that the return of Krejci and Seidenberg who both missed most of the series last year, plus the swap of Thomas for Rask, and the Bruins are a much better team.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Minutes4Fighting View Post
Outside of Gagne, the Flyers aren't much different...it's the Bruins who have had an overhaul

Out: Wheeler, Strum, Wideman, Satan, Begin, Hunwick, Sobotka

In: Campbell, Horton, Kelly, Marchand, Peverly, Kaberle

Add to that the return of Krejci and Seidenberg who both missed most of the series last year, plus the swap of Thomas for Rask, and the Bruins are a much better team.
Wait...what?

Add: Versteeg, Zherdev, Meszaros, O'Donnell, Bobrovsky, Shelly/Rinaldo (ew). 2 new top 9 players, a goalie, and 2 pretty important defenders?