HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ECSF: (1) Washington Capitals vs (5) Tampa Bay Lightning

View Poll Results: Predict the outcome
Capitals in 4 8 1.59%
Capitals in 5 88 17.50%
Capitals in 6 147 29.22%
Capitals in 7 28 5.57%
Lightning in 4 77 15.31%
Lightning in 5 18 3.58%
Lightning in 6 74 14.71%
Lightning in 7 63 12.52%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-27-2011, 10:20 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Want the Bolts to win, but let's us be honest, the Caps are too much for them to handle. They'll keep it close, but the Caps will win in 6.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:21 PM
newham89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
Tampa nearly got beat by a Pittsburgh team without Crosby and Malkin. Can't really blame people for thinking Caps will make it tougher on Tampa with a healthy squad.
That same team that despite missing those two players still managed to get finish 3rd in points in the conference IIRC.

Also, with regards to our D, they have really shown up so far in the play-offs. Although this was against a much inferior offense than the Caps have. They did shut out the Caps twice this year as well.

That being said, I can't see anyone stopping Washington this year.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Voted caps in 6, but I think they can end it in 5. They top the Bolts in O, D and in net plus they are rested. I wanted this matchup since the caps beat the Rags. Happy I got it.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TravisUlrich

I'll be rooting for the Lightning as they fall under two of my criteria (I cheer for the team that beats my team, I cheer for any team playing against the Caps) but this will be short. The Bolts couldn't handle the depleted Pens 5-on-5 and if the Pens had a powerplay that did any better than 1-for-36 (like 3-for-36 say) they'd be done already.

Caps in 5.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jtown

vCash: 539
I honestly believe the Lightning are the best team in the East.

First off their power play is lethal with 2 very good units.

Second, they can play multiple styles. If they get a lead they can pack it in and make things difficult like in the Pittsburgh series. If you want to open things up a bit they can play that style too, and trust me you don't want the Lightning to open things up.

The lightning are a frustrating team to play against and it will be interesting to see how this series plays out. If the caps struggle on the power play this is going to another upset.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
Love being the underdog. Hopefully the Caps will overlook the Lightning as much as the folks here.
I hardly think the Caps are going to overlook a 5 seed and a team that they spent a good portion of the season behind in the divisional standings.

Skrudland2Lomakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Regal

Picked the Caps to come out of the East at the beginning of the playoffs, so I'll stick with that here. I think this was probably the best matchup for the Caps, as I think they can match the Bolts in offense and are better defensively. The Bolts are a good team, and should keep the games close, but I think Washington is just too much for them to handle and will take it in 5 or 6.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
IceBjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

Second, they can play multiple styles. If they get a lead they can pack it in and make things difficult like in the Pittsburgh series. If you want to open things up a bit they can play that style too, and trust me you don't want the Lightning to open things up.

The lightning are a frustrating team to play against and it will be interesting to see how this series plays out. If the caps struggle on the power play this is going to another upset.
Ok, first you call TBL the best team in the east. Then you say if Caps lose, it will be regarded as an upset?

IceBjoern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Want the Bolts to win, but let's us be honest, the Caps are too much for them to handle. They'll keep it close, but the Caps will win in 6.
Love your avatar.

Vladiator16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
sycamore

Quote:

Thanks for weighing in Flyers fan -- pretty obvious what result you want. Now go back to your boards and figure out how Brian Boucher is going to get you past the Bruins

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Voted caps in 6, but I think they can end it in 5. They top the Bolts in O, D and in net plus they are rested. I wanted this matchup since the caps beat the Rags. Happy I got it.
Offensive capabilities for each team is up in the air. Total tossup based on who the **** decides to show up for both teams.

However, goalie advantage is clearly us. I'll take the veteran goalie who leads the playoffs in Save % over the rookie goalie just below him. Roli has less of a defense than Neuvirth has. And you never know with whacky Bruce and his magical rotating chain of goalies in the playoffs if Neuvirth even has one bad game.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
Ok, first you call TBL the best team in the east. Then you say if Caps lose, it will be regarded as an upset?
Personal belief is different from public perception.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
Thanks for weighing in Flyers fan -- pretty obvious what result you want. Now go back to your boards and figure out how Brian Boucher is going to get you past the Bruins
I am actually rooting for the Caps, The lightning have owned us all season. Plus i live in Northern Virginia and will be able to attend a game or two.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:31 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Love your avatar.
My avatar is the ugliest piece of **** ever. But I made it with love. All the teams I like are eliminated, so I gotta cheer for "something".

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Lightning are my 2nd favorite team, and I am currently on not good terms with Washington... so... yeah.

Bolts in 7.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:33 PM
IceBjoern

Quote:
I am actually rooting for the Caps, The lightning have owned us all season. Plus i live in Northern Virginia and will be able to attend a game or two.
You have a funny way of showing it.

IceBjoern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Offensive capabilities for each team is up in the air. Total tossup based on who the **** decides to show up for both teams.

However, goalie advantage is clearly us. I'll take the veteran goalie who leads the playoffs in Save % over the rookie goalie just below him. Roli has less of a defense than Neuvirth has. And you never know with whacky Bruce and his magical rotating chain of goalies in the playoffs if Neuvirth even has one bad game.
one series does not a goalie make

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LateNightOilerFan

The thing about the Bolts is that they had to battle through some adversity going down 1-3, especially after losing Game 4 in OT. They were like two different teams IMO, in fact I said after Game 4 that the Pens seemed to be playing more as a team and then it just seemed to click with the Bolts games 5-7. It's like they finally figured out what it takes.

So it'll be the rested Caps vs the on a roll Bolts, should be good.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Funkyalligator

No way do the caps overlook Tampa....they got shutout twice by them. Plus they play them enough that they know what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post

However, goalie advantage is clearly us.

If that is what you're counting on you're in heaps of trouble.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:37 PM
thinicer

Quote:
The best team in the East got pushed to 7 games by another missing three of their regulars, including their two superstars?

thinicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:

Scarier coming up the ice?

Vinny, St. Louis and Stamkos or Semin, Backstrom, Ovechkin

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If Neuvy fails, it's not like Varlamov didn't play well in relief in past playoffs, and against Tampa this season.

I don't know that goalie is a clear win. I don't like facing Roloson, as he has given the Caps shooters fits in the past, but I think the playoffs are completely different, and for at least some of them, they've figured out how to get the dirty goals.

I do know this, if the Caps get 35 shots on net, they're not going to come away with a blank.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
SkinsFan09

The biggest question is who finally shows up first, Stamkos or Backstrom?

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
IdealisticSniper

The Lightning went 2-1 since Roloson and Brewer came to town against the Caps.

Playoff experience on each squad is negated, if anything tilted towards TB now with the cup winners.

Offense is a wash IMO as both teams have stars that can light it up and depth players that can cycle a shift and pot a dirty goal here and there.

Defense is slightly tilted to Washington but nowhere near what people want to believe. Washington has the true puck mover in Green which is more than the Lightning have, but the Lightning do have a blossoming Hedman and a rejuvenated Ohlund and Kubina, not to mention Brewer is probably going to be the best defensive defensemen on the ice for either team.

Special teams is to TB. Their PP/PK index during the regular season was 103.8 and Washingtons was 103.1 so not much difference there, but in the playoffs its TB 126.7 to Wash 113.8 and TBs has been over a larger sample size and the PP percentage was against the leagues best PK unit.

Goaltending I give the nod to Roloson for experience and being hot right now. Hes looked great and I dont see it changing. The Caps goaltenders are very good, but can still be rattled and one bad game and it becomes a carousel. This is close too.

Overall I think its a great matchup. The teams are very very close. I do think the Caps are still somewhat of a bugaboo for the Lightning so they will need to shake the mental part of it for them to make it a series.

My homer pick says Bolts in 7. My betting with a gun to my head pick would be Caps in 6.

Lets go Bolts!

IdealisticSniper is online now   Reply With Quote