HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Breaking...Flyers tanked to get JVR

Old
04-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Unstable

vCash: 500
Breaking...Flyers tanked to get JVR

Not exactly how I remember that season.

Quote:
James van Riemsdyk was a difference maker in this series for the Flyers. He’s another example of what can happen when a perennial good team has a down year and is willing to tank. Picked 2nd overall just a few years ago, he’s going to be a star. The Sabres’ unwillingness to bottom out when they’re bad keeps guys like that out of the system.
http://3rdmanin.wordpress.com/2011/0...dition-game-7/

(In case you still had a shred of respect for Sabres fans.)

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:15 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I'd be salty too if I lived in Buffalo and just had my favorite team gang banged by the bullies!

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:31 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

In other news, the Flyers are the dirtiest team the NHL has seen in the last 30 years.
Also they dive a lot.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:31 AM
2Claude2Giroux

Sounds to me like he's more disappointed that Buffalo didn't tank themselves and was just using JvR as an example.

Either way, I don't understand why most Buffalo fans would be so upset about this series. Their time isn't now but they have a bright future and a new owner who is willing to spend the money to make them competitive.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

More like the team played like crap and decided to move pieces for prospects etc and wound up last and then bounced back.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:10 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
It's funny hearing that excuse, because the Flyers have been suffering from that for ages. JVR was pretty much the highest draft pick the Flyers have ever had, if I recall correctly. MSE, maybe you can enlighten us?

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:20 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
It's funny hearing that excuse, because the Flyers have been suffering from that for ages. JVR was pretty much the highest draft pick the Flyers have ever had, if I recall correctly. MSE, maybe you can enlighten us?
Lindros was a #1 overall, but we traded for him.

Wiki:
"The Flyers are one of the few teams to have never earned the right to draft first overall by means of having the worst record in the league. The only first overall pick the Flyers have ever used was in 1975 when the defending Stanley Cup champions traded up to select Mel Bridgman."

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:23 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Lindros was a #1 overall, but we traded for him.

Wiki:
"The Flyers are one of the few teams to have never earned the right to draft first overall by means of having the worst record in the league. The only first overall pick the Flyers have ever used was in 1975 when the defending Stanley Cup champions traded up to select Mel Bridgman."
Well, we should have had the 1st overall in 2007 because we did have the worst record. Regardless, we're one of the most consistently good teams in the league. Buffalo has no right to *****.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
El Emperor

LMFAO... seriously?

Meanwhile teams like Pittsburgh, who were one of the perrenial bottom teams, have basically put together a core of top 5 picks and the Flyers, who had ONE bad year are being labeled as "tanking" that season?

Let's not even forget last season's winner, Chicago, who cheaped out the pre-lockout days on purpose because the owner was a POS!

They act like JVR was an overnight success... not Philly's fault the Sabres' front office didn't throw money at Briere four years ago. Get over yourselves, Buffalo!

Last edited by El Emperor: 04-28-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: changed are to were
El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
Quote:
Mel Bridgman was a #1 overall pick and the only higher pick than JVR (#2). That came as a result because of a trade with Washington. Ron Sutter, Mike Ricci and Joni Pitkanen were all #4s. I think those were the only top fives in the post-Cup years.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Traded for the Joni Pitkanen pick as well.

I can *sort of* see the point the article is making, due to the fact that once that season was beyond salvaging we traded Forsberg to stock up for the future. The writer does state that the Flyers are a perennially good team who had one bad year.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Mel Bridgman was a #1 overall pick and the only higher pick than JVR (#2). That came as a result because of a trade with Washington. Ron Sutter, Mike Ricci and Joni Pitkanen were all #4s. I think those were the only top fives in the post-Cup years.
Thanks for digging that up. I discounted Lindros since he was acquired via trade. Didn't know about Bridgman. Pitkanen's pick was also acquired via trade. Just goes to show that the Flyers have really consistently been that good.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Quote:
Thanks for digging that up. I discounted Lindros since he was acquired via trade. Didn't know about Bridgman. Pitkanen's pick was also acquired via trade. Just goes to show that the Flyers have really consistently been that good.
When the Flyers made the trade to move up and eventually draft Pitkanen, the hope was that Kari Lehtonen would still be on the board at #4.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:42 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Us? Tank? No. That doesn't fly with Ed Snider. We were just that bad that year. Had a coach (Hitch) who didn't like young kids and we had a lot of them. Had two pylons on defense in Rathje and Hatcher. Forsberg saga going on. A lot of injuries. If we were tankers, we would have been that way for 4 years or so like PIT so we get top draft picks like they did.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

We did far from tank. At the trade deadline we actually built ourselves quite a competative team with the deals of biron, coburn, upshall, parent, getting the first rounders ect. Homer was pretty much ruthless at that dealine, and produced some of the finest GM moves the league has seen, putting us in a great position to aquire kimmo, hartnell, jason smith, lupul and briere.

We were just so horrifically bad before the dealine, that we couldn't make up any ground. Then we got punished further for actively trying to get off bottom by landing the 2 overall in the lottery ****.

Funny that eh. Talk about sour ****ing grapes. Learn to take a loss you ****** bags

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post

I can *sort of* see the point the article is making, due to the fact that once that season was beyond salvaging we traded Forsberg to stock up for the future. The writer does state that the Flyers are a perennially good team who had one bad year.
I'm sure the writer was just making an off the cuff arguement and that seeing JVR in action makes Buffalo fans irritated that they are never "bad enough" to get a premiere player.

But besides that terrible season, the Flyers front office has proven that it can still build a competitive team without needing those high draft picks. Like I said above, that same year, Buffalo told Briere to take a hike instead of giving him another contract and look what happened, they missed the playoffs.

The Flyers had one bad year, mostly because their core players were pre-lockout types... and to point out your comment above, this team was far and beyond eliminated from seeing the playoffs before making that Forsberg trade.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

All I know is, at one point our top line consisted of Ryan Poltuny and Stefan Ruzicka.. and its not like we did it on purpose. So may players got hurt that year, and we had so many problems. From Forsberg always being hurt, to Joni crying 24/7, to trading for Todd f'ing Fedoruk, to having a Eshe/Nitty goaltending combo (lol Eshe). This team had a TON of problems.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
those Sabre team writers over at hockeybuzz arent all that bright. of course this clown who wrote this isnt as bad as Garth.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:22 PM
kicksave27

I think we got that first pick overall in the 70s for none other than Bill Clement.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
When the Flyers made the trade to move up and eventually draft Pitkanen, the hope was that Kari Lehtonen would still be on the board at #4.
Ouch. There's one I wish the Flyers brass could take a Mulligan on.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
smokin018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
Sounds to me like he's more disappointed that Buffalo didn't tank themselves and was just using JvR as an example.

Either way, I don't understand why most Buffalo fans would be so upset about this series. Their time isn't now but they have a bright future and a new owner who is willing to spend the money to make them competitive.
We didn't tank...but if we did, it was for Kane, not JVR. We had the worst record in the league that year and STILL didn't get the top pick.

smokin018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:54 PM
drownedsailors

We had one bad year, but aside from that we've been a pretty consistent team in terms of making the playoffs every year for the past 16 years (but one of course), it's not like we tanked year after year like Pittsburgh and Chicago to get higher draft picks. A lot of our success is through FA signings and growth development of our core players.

I find it hilarious actually how people don't understand why were allowed to have this much depth. It's kind of like Detroit in the sense that they have a lot of depth, but goal tending isn't amazing for them (let's be honest they got lucky with Howard, and even he's struggling for them). Chicago had the chance of doing the same and becoming a dynasty, but Tallon screwed that over for them.

Honestly, I'm just really sick of hearing about Buffalo; you lost, move one, get over it like sheesh.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 04-28-2011 at 03:35 PM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
donelikedinner

sabresuck@maxpower

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 01:12 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Ouch. There's one I wish the Flyers brass could take a Mulligan on.
Worked out well for the Canes.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Worked out well for the Canes.
That's exactly what I thought when I looked up the '02 draft. Hindsight and all, but damn...Cam Ward at #25?

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote