HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corvo

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2004, 06:09 AM
studhorseman

vCash: 500
Corvo

He seemed to have a decent season last year (based on stats); do you think he'll definately see time with the Kings this year? and do you think he's topped out, or does he have potential to score more? Any input with be greatly appreciated.

Old
07-09-2004, 09:06 AM
kingsfan25

Corvo hasn't been too popular on this board this past season due to both his poor defensive play and his assault of a waitress earlier in the year. Speaking strictly from a hockey perspective I'd say that Corvo disappointed those of us who were hoping to see a repeat of his rookie season. I beleive that he has the tools necessary to stay with the club in a no. 5-6 role (decent defensive game, above average offensive game) however he'll have to make a case in camp for Andy Murray to give him a role in the top six over Gleason or Quintal. With regards to points, yeah, I'd say he has the POTENTIAL for more; he has shown flashes of stickhandling brilliance and has a bullet for a shot. I just think that he has to pick his chances a little bit more and has to learn how to hit the net again, something that seemed to elude him for the better part of last season.

Old
07-09-2004, 09:19 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

i like him. i don't thnk he'll be great, but his top end potential is probably to barely break the top 4. he can score a lot more if he just proves himself and i think he has it in him to do so. i would give him 2 more years before we can say we saw the most out of what we can get from Corvo.

Old
07-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Mxpunk

I thought Corvo played great at the start of last season, tailed off in the middle, and began to pick it up in the end. He has a great shot and can play physical if he wants to. He was definitely better than Modry; I am also worried about Quintal. I liked Quintal on MTL, but it seems all of his best seasons were with MTL. Even when he left the Habs and joined the Rangers, he had a terrible season. However, when he was traded back to the Habs, he played better. If he doesnt pull through, Corvo will definitely be in the lineup (also remember Miller's always injured too). I think he will be a regular in the Kings lineup soon, but if his defense continues to falter, then the young guys may get a chance at his expense.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
OC Kings Fan 24

I love those no look passes he is famouse for. You know , the ones they pick off and take off on breakaways and score.....

Old
07-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
As much as you guys may not like Corvo, he's still 100% more physical that Modry, and if given his minutes, could put up better numbers that Euroslob. I kinda like him, and if he's given more pp time expect his stats to jump up big time. . . .

Old
07-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Matt13

Joey C had a good season. 72 games and 25 points isnt nothing to be ashamed of. If this was his sophmore slump, Ill take it. Lubo did the same thing his second season but was freakin awesome last year. Joe does make mistakes as any young player does, but he should be on the ice opening night paired up with Matias.

Matty / Joe
Lubo / Miller
Dempsey / Quintal

Holland as the 7th, while Gleason and Grebs get ice time in Manchester.

Old
07-09-2004, 10:02 PM
kingschix

Send a message via AIM to kingschix
Corvo plays pretty good when he's paired up with Matty. He seems to learn from Matty and not make as many mistakes when they're together. He's young and I think his work ethic is great. He also had to deal w/all that waitress stuff, which I personally don't care about, I only care about him as a King, not a person.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Saprykin Fan

hey

i like corvo, whenever i watched him on centerice he played well, corvo will get say around 30-35 poitns max when he hits his full potential, thats the best i see out of him.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I really lie Corvo's game. If he plays smart and physical each game then he's truly a very good player. He needs to be consistent.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:47 PM
KINGLEWOOD

Corvo can be a good defenseman for any team when used in the right situations. Last year he played a lot with Matty and faced the other teams top players, he's better off playing as a 5th or 6th defenseman and on the power play.

That being said I think he and Zizka have intrigueing offensive upside that all teams might look for, so I wouldn't be surprised to see DT trade one of the two.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Corvo isn't a mammoth, so he isn't all that physcial, but he is good enough to be a #6 defenseman

Old
07-10-2004, 04:32 AM
studhorseman

Thanks for the input

Old
07-10-2004, 08:59 AM
maximil

I don't like him. But if neccesary he definately can play a depth role (6-7 d-man) in the NHL. There are much better options than him, even within the Kings organization.

Old
07-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Joe Dokes

Norstrom
Miller
Dempsey
Visnovsky
Quintal
Gleason

Holland
Corvo
Grebeshkov

Holland is a very good #7 d-man. He steps in when needed and plays a sound game. Grebeshkov will either be playing every day, or back in Manchester until someone gets hurt.

Corvo is not needed on this team. His defensive game is suspect, and I saw far too many "deer in the headlight" plays out of him, especially 5-on-5. As far as pairing him with Norstrom, I think you are just taking away Matty's ability to do his own job. I worry a little about the 2nd unit PP, but when Grebeshkov is ready for full-time NHL duty, dumping Corvo is inevitable. I'd trade him today if anyone was interested.

Also, I can't deny my feelings on this: for a team that emphasizes "character" guys, Corvo completely failed that test, and really should not be on this team.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGK Spanky
Norstrom
Also, I can't deny my feelings on this: for a team that emphasizes "character" guys, Corvo completely failed that test, and really should not be on this team.

The character of a person has never been established by one event in time. Its time to move on and give the guy another chance.

Did you know that Joe no longer drinks?

Old
07-10-2004, 04:42 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
The character of a person has never been established by one event in time. Its time to move on and give the guy another chance.

Did you know that Joe no longer drinks?
Yes, but a single event in time often can reveal a person's true character.

WIth that said, if the Kings haven't gotten rid of him by now for character issues, they're not going to.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 07-10-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old
07-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Yes, but a single event in time often can reveal a person's true character.
But, a person can also change and a single event shouldn't follow him for the rest of his life, if he really is changing.

Old
07-10-2004, 05:00 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
if he really is changing.
Therein lies the question.

If the Kings keep him, fine. If they get rid of him, so be it. I can go either way. I would only hope thatif the Kings kept/keep him, they are satisfied enough that he is truly remorseful for what he did. If they do not feel this way and keep him around anyways, that's what I would be upset over.

Old
07-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:

If the Kings keep him, fine. If they get rid of him, so be it. I can go either way. I would only hope thatif the Kings kept/keep him, they are satisfied enough that he is truly remorseful for what he did. If they do not feel this way and keep him around anyways, that's what I would be upset over.
That's the thing we don't know if the KINGS feel like he's remorseful. I think he's I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old
07-10-2004, 05:16 PM
willie

Quote:

I completely agree. It seems some people on these boards have completely maligned Corvo over his actions when, really, they don't know the exact details of the event. (nor do they know whether Corvo has taken measures to 'change')

When it comes to questions regarding a player's character, I have plenty of faith that DT (& Co.) will make the right decision. If Corvo really is an *******, than I would anticipate DT will make the right decision.

Old
07-10-2004, 05:20 PM
R0CKET

Well put down as one of the Don't Like Corvo Guys.

He just can not be trusted out there and that's the bottom line for me.

If his skating or his shot (which in the right conditions is pretty darn good) or his puckhandling were jsut a cut above what he has now maybe he would have enough game get by as a good offensive Dman.

But where he's at right now he's not going to be able to pull down the lead offensive D assignment, so he just has to make sure he doesn't fall down or mess up a pass that leads to a crucial goal against to make it at this point.

In the No 5 or 6 role he can't leave any feeling that he can't be trusted on D and so I don't like him much.

I'd give him this season and then deal him if he doesn't progress. I feel we could better spend this ice time on Grebsif he can't make a move up.

That's just me.

Old
07-10-2004, 09:46 PM
swinginutter*

Everybody has mixed emotions on the guy, and some of these posts were dead on in my eyes as far as assessment goes. He skates real well with good breakout speed, has a laser of a shot, excellent stickhandling (but major over-use during season), and as far as physical goes he doesn't have it.
I like Jose Cuervo (Corvo), and everybody needs to get past his incident. Nobody really knows the whole story and although it was cowardly and chicken *****, it's his buisness. For me this team still didn't answer a need in the back and I still think Corvo should be in the line-up with our present defensive corp. The Quintal pick-up is still a head scratcher. I would have rather picked up Eric Cairns.........he's younger, cheap, same style as Quintal and he can beat the crap out of you. Team toughness needs to be addressed in a major way! It starts with our coaching staff!

Old
07-12-2004, 02:33 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

who the heck cares about what corvo did in that incident? am i the only one who thinks that this is a hockey team, not a church sanctioned hockey team? this is hockey, not a morality test. And for those who think he "failed the character test" just because he messed up once ought to look at themselves before they cast the first stone. i don't know about all you guys, but i've done some screwed up things in my life. i don't expect you guys to judge my character based on the worst incidents of my life and neither do i think you should of corvo.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
who the heck cares about what corvo did in that incident? am i the only one who thinks that this is a hockey team, not a church sanctioned hockey team? this is hockey, not a morality test. And for those who think he "failed the character test" just because he messed up once ought to look at themselves before they cast the first stone. i don't know about all you guys, but i've done some screwed up things in my life. i don't expect you guys to judge my character based on the worst incidents of my life and neither do i think you should of corvo.
Not only is he representative of an organization, but of a community as well. If I did what he did, or something similar, I would have been fired from my job. Not all professions are that way. But when you are in a profession where public relations plays a central role in the vitality of the company, you will be fired for something like this. In fact, some contracts, both in the sports industry and other industries, now include a "morals clause" in recognition of the need to release people who do egregous acts that may affect the public perception of the company. If he doesn't like it, find another line of work.

Closed Thread