HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCSF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (5) Nashville Predators Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
ronnyweed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Selke candidate Johnathan Toews.
toews is on nashville aswell?

Old
04-28-2011, 04:10 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Yeah it's...I misread the post, got halfway through typing that, accidentally fat fingered send, then thought it didn't send...it's a tragic epic, really.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
yapperface
#EmbraceTheHate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
My hockey game fare will be a fine claret, organic roasted garlic hummus with snap peas and some fine salmon lox.

Spare no expense. This will be a good game.
I mean, guy, that's all well and good. But it's a hockey game! Good burger and a good beer is the way to go!

That said, salmon would be nice tomorrow... ah, to live in a place where salmon is so cheap.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Edit: woops problem solved.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistril View Post
Canucks have 3 with 20 or more, it's just as reasonable to assume samuellson if not for playing with injuries and missing games with injuries would get over 20 as well. So thats 4 "on pace" 20 goal scorers on each team, one on each with 19 goals. Then a bunch on each team with around 15. (Canucks have 3 with about 15 to Nashvilles 2)
No one is arguing that the Canucks do not have a significant advantage offensively. However, the Predators offense is better than it appears. Erat/Legwand/SK/Fisher/Hornqvist can all play good offensive hockey. Ward has been very good of late wit the Erat/Legwand line. The Tootoo/Smithson/Spaling line was probably the best even strength line of the Round 1 series (5 points for Tootoo, GWG in OT for Smithson, Spaling with 2 goals in Game 6). The fourth line can be a mixture of skill or grit with Sullivan/Geoffrion/Dumont (or Wilson/Halischuk here).

In other words, the Predators can roll 4 scoring lines, all of which can be defensively responsible (if you axe Dumont from the final line). This is in no way, shape, or form comparable to the Sedin line, but they can put the puck in the net....and 5 on 5, they are fierce.

04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
No one is arguing that the Canucks do not have a significant advantage offensively. However, the Predators offense is better than it appears. Erat/Legwand/SK/Fisher/Hornqvist can all play good offensive hockey. Ward has been very good of late wit the Erat/Legwand line. The Tootoo/Smithson/Spaling line was probably the best even strength line of the Round 1 series (5 points for Tootoo, GWG in OT for Smithson, Spaling with 2 goals in Game 6). The fourth line can be a mixture of skill or grit with Sullivan/Geoffrion/Dumont (or Wilson/Halischuk here).

In other words, the Predators can roll 4 scoring lines, all of which can be defensively responsible (if you axe Dumont from the final line). This is in no way, shape, or form comparable to the Sedin line, but they can put the puck in the net....and 5 on 5, they are fierce.
Preds remind me a bit of the 2003 Minnesota Wild. The year they knocked the high rolling, offensively charged and heavily favored Vancouver Canucks out in the 2nd round.

Fortunately, for all that he does a good impression of him from time to time, Luongo is not Dan Cloutier.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Preds remind me a bit of the 2003 Minnesota Wild. The year they knocked the high rolling, offensively charged and heavily favored Vancouver Canucks out in the 2nd round.

Fortunately, for all that he does a good impression of him from time to time, Luongo is not Dan Cloutier.
You also don't have Bertuzzi spouting off to the media how the series is over, well you better hope Kesler doesn't do that either heh

Old
04-28-2011, 04:26 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
You also don't have Bertuzzi spouting off to the media how the series is over, well you better hope Kesler doesn't do that either heh
A year ago maybe but Kesler is smarter than that now.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Sinistril

Quote:

I'm not saying the preds have no scoring depth, I'm saying its just not as good as the Canucks. The preds real strength is in their system/coaching and goaltending. As well as the big 2 on D. I just don't think this combination is a good matchup against Vancouver. I thought it was an ideal matchup against Anaheim before that series. To be honest the only team left that I think the preds matchup well enough against to beat in a 7 game series is tampa. Otherwise they're gonna have to get some huge goaltending to win a series, something Rinne didn't do against Anaheim. So we'll see.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:

No one is arguing that the Preds cannot do what you are saying either. belive me, I think I speak for all Canucks fans when I say this is not going to be a fun series, and for the winner it is either Detroit or San Jose!

What I think Canucks fas are saying though, is that the Canucks are a better all around team than the Ducks, and if not for some ugly goaltending and bad team play, the Ducks were still almost good enough to beat the Preds.

Vancouver exorcised some demons, but more importantly lost to an 8th seed that clearly should not have been an 8th seed, as you can see when thye got going, and were inspired they were as good as any team.

it is going to be a good series.

I hate making these comparisons but this really reminds me of the Canucks in 94 after their OT win over the Flames, or the Flames 2004 win over the Canucks. the momentum from those wins, truly carried those teams, and I see that happening here.

Preds have had time to think about the 2nd round. Vancouver is just going out to play some hockey.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Both teams have be polar opposites in the playoffs of their regular season stats.

Nashville is #2 in offense in the playoffs with a 3.67 GF
Vancouver is 14th with 2.29 GF

Defensively, Nashville has been horrid by their standards at 12th in the league at 3.33 GA.

Vancouver wasn't much better with a 3.11GA

Odd fact from what I see.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:45 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
No but the Preds have just asked to use his intangibles.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Both teams have be polar opposites in the playoffs of their regular season stats.

Defensively, Nashville has been horrid by their standards at 12th in the league at 3.33 GA.

I think a lot of these stats have to do with their first round opponents. I expect the usual defensive/goaltending battle between these two teams. They were two of the best defensive teams in the league this season.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
No one is arguing that the Preds cannot do what you are saying either. belive me, I think I speak for all Canucks fans when I say this is not going to be a fun series, and for the winner it is either Detroit or San Jose!

What I think Canucks fas are saying though, is that the Canucks are a better all around team than the Ducks, and if not for some ugly goaltending and bad team play, the Ducks were still almost good enough to beat the Preds.

Vancouver exorcised some demons, but more importantly lost to an 8th seed that clearly should not have been an 8th seed, as you can see when thye got going, and were inspired they were as good as any team.

it is going to be a good series.

I hate making these comparisons but this really reminds me of the Canucks in 94 after their OT win over the Flames, or the Flames 2004 win over the Canucks. the momentum from those wins, truly carried those teams, and I see that happening here.

Preds have had time to think about the 2nd round. Vancouver is just going out to play some hockey.
On the same token, the Nucks were a post away from getting beat by Chicago.

Do you think Chicago is better than the Ducks?

Old
04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

this is due to absolutely atroticious team d by anaheim and no hiller.. sorry to burst your bubble

Old
04-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Fairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Maybe (probably) not? Chicago has a +3 match-up advantage over the Canucks for some reason though. All Chicago shooters are also +7 against Luongo's goaltending.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:07 PM
DrChill

I am really likeing this series. I think Weber will be huge for Nashville. Expecially because they are two homes. Blum too.

The key factors are
Kesler and scoring.

Rinne and better goal tending. we all know he can step it up. it is now up for him to show us in post season.

I think 5 for van.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by predeuce777 View Post
No but the Preds have just asked to use his intangibles.
Chet Pickard + Ryan Ellis for Toews's intangibles?

Preds win that deal AINEC

Old
04-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

i cant stand waiting...

Old
04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
i cant stand waiting...
Be happy the game starts at 6pm local time and not 7pm (like usual).

Old
04-28-2011, 05:31 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:

The Canucks were a flu bug away from sweeping the Hawks.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:

Of course I do. I think Chicago would push any of detroit, San Jose, and as we saw Van to the limit. Chicago would've beat the Ducks in 5 games the way they were playing, but it was playing Vancouver that galvanized the team.

And as for your post away from losing comment, chicago were 2 posts away in game 7 of not coming close to tying the score.

Works both ways.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

sweeeeeep. vancouver.
they're an unstoppable stanley cup machine this year.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeRyaneClowe View Post
The Canucks were a flu bug away from sweeping the Hawks.
Sami Salo is one ruptured testicle away from never having kids again.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Reviled*
Partisan

I think the networks have had a big hand in determining game start times. They likely told the NHL when they could best fit the games into their preexisting programming.

Next Tuesday's game starts at 8pm local time - typically a death sentence for attendance with kids still in school. Hopefully the 'Round 2' novelty will retain some allure for a game or two. I still expect sellouts.

Last edited by Reviled*: 04-28-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread