HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wiz broken hand?

Old
05-03-2011, 10:41 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Wiz broken hand?

I didn't see a thread on this.

I haven't been following the news, but someone at work today mentioned to me that The Wiz had a broken hand in the playoffs. He apparently hurt it initially during the fight in game 2, and then broke it during game 5 against the boards.

The tried to freeze the hand for OT in game 5 and for game 6, but by game 7 he could barely hold his stick.

Pretty crazy stuff! Did anyone see this in the news?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Shadyone33

If this is true I hope we at least offer a contract to the guy. That is dedication simply put.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Newhabfan

On the other hand (the evil one) this means that Weber had to sit while Wiz was playing without a hand (so no slapshot either)....Mostly because he is in a contract year and wanted to be seen....

jk

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pine

vCash: 50
TonyMarinaro.

Credible or not?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
If this is true I hope we at least offer a contract to the guy. That is dedication simply put.
I have no idea if it is true. This is what someone at work said to me. I wasn't sure if this was reported in the news or anything.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
pine

@TonyMarinaro
Tony Marinaro
HABS: re J.Wisniewski injury. GM2 fought S.Hnidy. Hurt hand; later jammed it; broken hand. Frozen going into OT GM5. Frozen 2x in GM7.#gamer
13 hours ago via web

https://twitter.com/#!/TonyMarinaro

Old
05-03-2011, 10:49 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

We need to re-sign the Wiz.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:52 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
<3 this guy

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
We need to re-sign the Wiz.
Nice ninja edit

Old
05-03-2011, 11:13 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Hope its better now because He'll need it to sign his new Contract with the Habs ^^

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:43 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I remember a lot of people saying he wasn't shooting much in the playoffs, would a broken hand effect shooting? I think so

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:35 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

heart of a warrior
give this boy a contract

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Mr. Hab

I respect the grit and guts he showed during that fight in playoffs, but at the same time...Wiz was/is too important for us to risk a serious injury during a fight and...to Hjindy (spelling).

If this is true (Wiz's broken hand) and I'm the coach...and he is signed...I'm going to tell him how much I respect him for not taking any **** (when he fought) but I would also tell him that it was Boston's advantage since they sent a #8dman to fight Wiz (top 3 dman for us).

No more fighting for Wiz...he's too important (his hand/shoulder,etc...). Only if he can take out a player of equal value (a Hornton or a Boychuk or Seidenberg for examples or better players).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-04-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:15 AM
neofury*

If it is true then this is the kind of guy you want to sign if you can get him for the right price. Not some Alex Tanguay.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Now i understand why he wasn't play up to par. The guy was playing with a broken hand. It will be a sad day on July 1rst if we walks

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Maxpac

He is a warrior, and atleast he didn't go crying to the media like Bouillon did. I really hope we sign this guy to be Markov's permanent D partner and QB of the 2nd pp wave with Subban.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:59 AM
LyleOdelein

While I admire his grit, it's a little tough to swallow the fact that Wiz's game was hindered by a meaningless fight against a useless player. I'm not one to dwell too much on hypothetical situations, but considering that 3 of the Bruins' wins came in OT it's quite possible that even the slightest boost to the Habs' overall offense could have made the difference. I guess those are the breaks (cheesy pun fully intended).

I like Wiz and hope that the Habs retain him going into next year. He has all of the tools to be a fine defenseman for quite a few years.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:08 AM
shiram

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
While I admire his grit, it's a little tough to swallow the fact that Wiz's game was hindered by a meaningless fight against a useless player. I'm not one to dwell too much on hypothetical situations, but considering that 3 of the Bruins' wins came in OT it's quite possible that even the slightest boost to the Habs' overall offense could have made the difference. I guess those are the breaks (cheesy pun fully intended).

I like Wiz and hope that the Habs retain him going into next year. He has all of the tools to be a fine defenseman for quite a few years.
He is known for having discipline issues, and his record in the past might work against him, in these days NHL.
While it is admirable that he would play hurt, I'd rather he not had that fight at all.

shiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
He shouldn't have been playing. Good for him for playing hurt, etc.. but it hurt the team. I'd rather have had a healthy Weber on the backend personally.. oh well.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiram View Post
He is known for having discipline issues, and his record in the past might work against him, in these days NHL.
While it is admirable that he would play hurt, I'd rather he not had that fight at all.
I took a shine to Wiz when he was on the Hawks and have followed him fairly closely ever since. It's certainly fair to say that he played over the line in the past years, but it's also fair to say that he took a solid step forward in this respect after the Avery incident. The Wisniewski we saw on the Habs was a much more disciplined player than the Wisniewski that played for the Hawks or Ducks. For that reason, I think he'll continue to trend in the right direction with regards to discipline.

I'm sure that the injury he suffered and aggravated after that fight provided a valuable lesson about the risks involved in that kind of thing. Wiz's next contract will probably reaffirm that he's a little too valuable to take on that kind of risk against a guy like Hnidy in that situation. It might be tough to act against instincts in the heat of the moment but Wiz is at that point in his career where he's learned that lesson first hand (cheesy pun not intended this time).

He's a player that's learned a lot over the last couple years and I have faith that he will begin to pick his spots more prudently in the future (both with regards to fighting and with regards to pinching). I think he'll probably want to test the market to earn his keep, but I strongly hope that he ends up on this team next year as I feel his best is yet to come.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
shiram

To be clear I really like the player, and would love to have him stay a Habs, it just feels that with his production he might price himself out of town, as most likely alot of teams will be looking at him in the off-season.
I think spending some time with Jacques Martin might have calmed some of his more uh unruly ways as well, but that's not something I could say for sure.

shiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiram View Post
To be clear I really like the player, and would love to have him stay a Habs, it just feels that with his production he might price himself out of town, as most likely alot of teams will be looking at him in the off-season.
I think spending some time with Jacques Martin might have calmed some of his more uh unruly ways as well, but that's not something I could say for sure.
Any player whose willing to buy into the coaches game plan will look like gold under Martin. Defensively liabilities who are willing to do what they're told, like Wiz, often look good compared to when they were with other teams.

I'd be willing to bet he signs here at a fair rate as he probably wants to stay with this squad. Seems like we have a tight knit group.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I'd be willing to bet he signs here at a fair rate as he probably wants to stay with this squad. Seems like we have a tight knit group.
After playing for 4 NHL teams in 3 seasons I would assume Wiz is probably tired of moving around. If I were him, I'd want to go to the team that will offer the most long-term security at the salary that is fair. In other words, I wouldn't be shocked to see him going somewhere else for more years or one that is willing to offer a more secure NTC clause.

If the Habs commit to him for a longer term deal with an NTC, I think they have the inside track. However, if they are hesitant to sign him under those conditions, I think there's a great chance he will go somewhere that will.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Don't become a "Souray"!!!!!!!!!!!!

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The Wisniewski/Markov decision will be an interesting one. As much as it would be great to have both in our lineup, I think it will be hard to sign both long term with Subban and Price needing to be extended for 2012-2013. Where one of them might become expendable also is with Weber emerging this year as a viable top 6 guy who can be a good PP contributor. The dicey part of the situation is if you let Wisniewski walk(in his prime) and sign Markov and he gets hurt again then you are looking for another rental and using young assets once again.

If there was some way of knowing Markov could be there for 75-80 games you'd let Wisniewski walk and sign a young stay at home type(Hejda Bewer Bieksa etc), depending on how much you want to spend on that player. Realistically Subban Markov/Wiz plus Weber should be enough in terms of PMD and PP point men.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote