HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Giroux

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2004, 01:11 PM
  #1
Blueshirt13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Other side of the Ri
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Giroux

I harassed the HF writer for the Sens on Giroux. Since not many people know much about him, here goes one opinion on him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa

On Giroux, he's an interesting player that is not that different from Stephens actually.

What is most remarkable about Giroux is that he used to be a complete string bean. He was drafted as a 6'3", 165 pound forward from the Hull Olympiques. As you probably know, his next two seasons were quite productive, but he was still way too short. The question with him was whether he could bulk up and play a bit of a power game.

Giroux is now around 195 pounds, and he's bulked up a fair bit. I like his skating, he's got pretty good hands and at times he can play physically. When the Binghamton Sens were playing at the Corel Centre this year, he was absolutely dominant. He was all over the ice and had a hat-trick in the game I believe. He's a goal scorer first and foremost, and his playmaking game is pretty limited. But he's incredibly inconsistent. Binghamton fans will tell you there are times he's a complete liability, and others he's a fantastic player.

Giroux did have a great camp in Ottawa though. What was great about his performance was that he was playing physically and even fighting. Unfortunately he really didn't play this way in the AHL, and that is probably why the Senators dealt him. They didn't feel he had the pure scoring ability to be a big point producer, and he isn't consistently physical enough to play on a third or fourth line. Chris Kelly's strong play also made Giroux expendable.

Personally, I think Giroux is the type of player who could make it in the NHL on a weaker team. The same kind of goes for Stephens probably. While Giroux obviously lacks consistency and some question his desire, I like the fact that he's come a long ways since being drafted. The biggest knock on him was his size, and he's bulked up tremendously. But he's not the answer to your LW problems. Ottawa has LW problems and if they felt Giroux could solve any real problems in the near future, I doubt he'd have been dealt. I don't see Giroux as more than a third liner, but I could defenitely see him playing on a checking line next year in New York if he commits himself to playing the way he did in training camp last fall.

Blueshirt13 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 01:23 PM
  #2
Davisian
Registered User
 
Davisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Endicott
Posts: 6,074
vCash: 500
As a Binghamtonian and one who caught a few B-Sens games, I can say there is a good amount of truth to that write up.

where I disagree is on the "desire" knock. While he is inconsistent offensively, it never seemed to be a case of desire. and when he wasn't scoring he did help in other ways. as was mentioned, he'd fight to protect a teammate, or be smarter defensively if his "O" was struggling.

I just really like his versatility. He's got good wheels and looks to help out in several ways.

I think he's in a great spot (for him) now. with Ottawa he really had to stand out to get a call up. With the Rangers trying to build a core of guys to grow together, I think he'll fit in great because of his versatility. He likely won't be much more than a third liner, or defensive presence on a 2nd line, but I think he can add a lot to a re-building team, and eventually become an important player.

Davisian is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 01:34 PM
  #3
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
As a Binghamtonian and one who caught a few B-Sens games, I can say there is a good amount of truth to that write up.

where I disagree is on the "desire" knock. While he is inconsistent offensively, it never seemed to be a case of desire. and when he wasn't scoring he did help in other ways. as was mentioned, he'd fight to protect a teammate, or be smarter defensively if his "O" was struggling.

I just really like his versatility. He's got good wheels and looks to help out in several ways.

I think he's in a great spot (for him) now. with Ottawa he really had to stand out to get a call up. With the Rangers trying to build a core of guys to grow together, I think he'll fit in great because of his versatility. He likely won't be much more than a third liner, or defensive presence on a 2nd line, but I think he can add a lot to a re-building team, and eventually become an important player.

Does he remind you of Stephane Matteau? Same type of skating, can hit, score a bit, etc....

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 01:35 PM
  #4
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
He didn't seem to do much in the AHL playoffs, didn't see much intensity from him, he just looked lost.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 01:42 PM
  #5
Davisian
Registered User
 
Davisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Endicott
Posts: 6,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Does he remind you of Stephane Matteau? Same type of skating, can hit, score a bit, etc....
I don't think so.. Giroux is faster, but doesn't hit as hard (isn't as strong) and isn't as agressive.

I HATE comparing young players to older ones, but the first name that comes to mind is Tikkanen. No, not the pest like tik, and not the big shot like Tik, but the ability to play all 3 forward positions with a good defensive awareness, can add a few goals, and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty..

As I said, I think he'll flourish with the Rangers because they're building a core, and I can see them all pushing eachother and getting closer as teammate's, which I think will bring out the best in him.

Davisian is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 08:25 PM
  #6
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
As I said, I think he'll flourish with the Rangers because they're building a core, and I can see them all pushing eachother and getting closer as teammate's, which I think will bring out the best in him.
Amen to that, brother.

Forechecker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.