HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF|Game 1|Tampa Bay Lightning @ Washington Capitals | Verizon Center |4.29.11| 7:00

Old
04-30-2011, 11:30 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
they are not really that bipolar. yea, lose a game and they suck and fire the coach comes out hard. but, win a game and you still get a lot of they are not that good and will lose sooner or later. that will prove they suck and they should fire the coach.

we all know that had arnott crosschecked brewer into the tampa net and scored a goal it would have been washed out and a penalty called. 1. we all saw the second goal as a puck that was going away from the net that hit a caps player approaching the net and it bounced in. we all know they can and will play better. detroit lost after a long layoff themselves.

i know any loss brings the doom here, but really. breath....or do something about it. if you are convinced that the caps have no shot as long as boudreau is the coach or semin on the team or green skating a lot of minutes, etc., take a couple of games off yourself. if losing is going to so torture you, dont watch since you are already convinced that its inevitable.

i watch because i dont know whats going to happen. i posted at least a couple times before the game that i thought there was a good chance that they were in trouble in that game. the caps hadnt played in a week and tampa bay really needed to win that game or risk being swept.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:37 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I don't understand this Backstrom is terrible stuff. He seems to be the only guy who can puck handle into the zone on this team.

It's not his fault OV can't get a shot on goal any more.

The guy plays good defense, one of the best pk, and handles better than anyone on the team. All the while he blocks shots, gets takeaways, and his faceoffs are up.

He's a passer, and he's made some good ones. Other guys need to finish.
well...the results are pretty underwhelming. ovechkin does have 3 goals and 6 pts in 6 games while backstrom has 1 assist. backstrom hasnt scored a goal of any kind in 14 games. backstrom isnt skating a lone with ovechkin either.

or we can just look at marcus johansson. he has 2 goals and 5pts in 6 games and has scored 4 goals in the 14 games since backstrom has one.

backstrom's defense and penalty killing has been good. he's becoming jeff halpern.
something's not right there.

one more thing. ovechkin has 6 pts in 6 games. johansson 5 pts in 6. green 5pts in 6. semin has 5 pts in 6. backstrom has 1. you dont see something off there? you really want to blame that on ov? sturm has 2 pts. chimera 3pts. no matter how you slice it the 1 pt is a problem.

Old
04-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
They should have buried them. Downie is right. The first 2-4 minutes were sloppy but after the score was tied, the Caps took it to them until about five minutes left in the period. Missed too many opportunities though. Hit posts, couldn't score on a wide open net, and didn't hustle enough to bury any of the 4,653 rebounds Roloson served up.

But from about five minutes left in the 2nd through to the end, they were horrible. Turnovers, passes to nobody, very very sloppy overall play. Guys trying to make spectacular plays instead of the smart plays. 5 3rd period shots? Geesh.

And someone, anyone, know what the F is up with Backstrom? At this point either he's been hurt all year or we have a textbook case of big contract laziness here. My cat could have knocked the puck in on that wide open net. Well anyway they were about as bad as could be and still were right there. Need a lot better effort Sunday night.
Of course it would be too much to ask of Boudreau to correct that tendency. The 2nd intermission and a timeout would have been perfect to, you know, tell guys to stop going one on three, give suggestions on breaking through the blue line, etc. You think players were trying to do too much on their own without BB's blessing? They blatantly disregarded him? Hogwash. He was clueless so they tried and did what they know. That shot of him with his hands on his head doing nothing at a critical juncture of the 3rd period said it all. Five 3rd period shots while down a goal is about unheard of for any decent team. And that was with 2 PP's.

Boudreau is a buffoon

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Robert Theodorson

I am actually optimistic about next game, but seriously, put MoJo back with OV, Backstrom is out in la la land for whatever reason and it doesn't look like he's coming back home.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:51 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Of course it would be too much to ask of Boudreau to correct that tendency. The 2nd intermission and a timeout would have been perfect to, you know, tell guys to stop going one on three, give suggestions on breaking through the blue line, etc. You think players were trying to do too much on their own without BB's blessing? They blatantly disregarded him? Hogwash. He was clueless so they tried and did what they know. That shot of him with his hands on his head doing nothing at a critical juncture of the 3rd period said it all. Five 3rd period shots while down a goal is about unheard of for any decent team. And that was with 2 PP's.

Boudreau is a buffoon
Yes, he is.

The Caps should have buried them and won that game handily.

Teams reflect their coach and this one has a lot of ****ing mental flab on it. They are pathological.

I can't fathom a scenario under any number of well-coached teams in this league where the team half-***** line changes all night or tries to showboat when up by 1 goal in a playoff game. I'm still ****ing amazed at this.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
"They should have buried us." This from Downie. Ouch.

For his part, Boucher said all the right things.

As for #8, seemed odd that he thought the puck was going in, on the ENG. From the replay, it looked just the opposite -- looked as if it wouldn't, then took a bounce toward the net, and only when it was too late did Ovie realize there would be a play right at the goal line. Anyway, embarrassing end to embarrassing night.

On the other hand, Ovie did say one thing right, and I believe he meant it from deep inside. 'Next game going to be different game.' He seemed angry. Which I like. Give me angry Ovie every time.

Tonight sucked. But don't give up, people. We're gonna sack up and turn this thing around. We win #2 and we split down in Tampa. I do believe we learned lessons from our excruciating December. Maybe it wasn't evident tonight, but this is a harder, steadier, more serious team than previous 3 years.
Should have been 6-1 Caps at one point....no finish...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:51 PM
TampaDude

Don't sell the Lightning short. Their defense was damn good and their PK has been LIGHTS OUT in the playoffs so far (39 of 40 including 5 of 5 last night). They also have a lot of momentum...that's 4 in a row for the Bolts. The Caps need to hammer them hard in Game 2 and establish control of this series.

TampaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:58 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
they are not really that bipolar. yea, lose a game and they suck and fire the coach comes out hard. but, win a game and you still get a lot of they are not that good and will lose sooner or later. that will prove they suck and they should fire the coach.

i know any loss brings the doom here, but really. breath....or do something about it. if you are convinced that the caps have no shot as long as boudreau is the coach or semin on the team or green skating a lot of minutes, etc., take a couple of games off yourself. if losing is going to so torture you, dont watch since you are already convinced that its inevitable.

Theres a very interesting dynamic on this board. When the caps do poorly some complain about the fan base and not about the team. I dont quite get what thats all about because the whole purpose of a sports message board is to share opinions about the team. Complaining about the fans sharing opinions is pointless contributes nothing and is just boring. If you dont like their opinions its perhaps better to state an argument in ones case. Even if it doesnt change someones mind its at least interesting unlike going "omg i hate half the posters on here".

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 03:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Only the Caps can make a team coming off an emotional game 7 win where they should by all accounts completely spent, look like they were instead the well rested team.

Full of dumb....but that's what we get with this team when they play poorly. The appearance of a lack of effort, dumb play and frustration...

Next game if they don't come out completely different, there's cause for real concern.

Old
04-30-2011, 03:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

There's really on two guys carrying the charge against fan compliants (and a couple other who love to pile on from time to time). I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Old
04-30-2011, 03:29 PM
TampaDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Only the Caps can make a team coming off an emotional game 7 win where they should by all accounts completely spent, look like they were instead the well rested team.

Full of dumb....but that's what we get with this team when they play poorly. The appearance of a lack of effort, dumb play and frustration...

Next game if they don't come out completely different, there's cause for real concern.
^ truth

Old
04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Semin

I'm kind of eager to see how the Caps come out and play while being down 1 game.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:47 PM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDude View Post
Don't sell the Lightning short. Their defense was damn good and their PK has been LIGHTS OUT in the playoffs so far (39 of 40 including 5 of 5 last night). They also have a lot of momentum...that's 4 in a row for the Bolts. The Caps need to hammer them hard in Game 2 and establish control of this series.
Honestly, I think this series is going to be decided by which goalie breaks first. Most Caps fans may not agree, but I'd say we are pretty well-matched teams.

DracoFulmineus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFulmineus View Post
Honestly, I think this series is going to be decided by which goalie breaks first. Most Caps fans may not agree, but I'd say we are pretty well-matched teams.
Not trying to sell any team short, but that loss was clearly more about what the Caps did/didn't do and the mistakes they made than it was about anything the Lightning did.

It's not like the Caps weren't figuring that 1-3-1 out before simply deciding to not play the rest of the game after getting a lead.

If the Caps actually decide to play even just 45 minutes like they played the stretch where they scored two goals and had one properly taken away, the Lightning should have zero chance.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
TampaDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFulmineus View Post
That's the impression I got last night. I really expected the Caps to come out and just take it to the Lightning, but what I saw was two pretty evenly matched teams. This series could very well go the distance.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:25 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
TampaDude is right. We cant sell them short. We should have won rings a bit hollow in a league filled with parity upsets big comebacks and numerous overtimes across the playoffs. Tampa is a force to be reckoned with. Outside of the suspected concussions, we didnt wear them down. Having emerged from a 7 game series made them a tougher opponent, not worn out and softer and ready to roll over and die. They were fresh.

I wonder how the injuries to Gagne Kubina and Carlson will shake things up. I am still wondering what happened to Carlson, if forced to guess from the way he was in pain on the bench he seemed to be favoring his side, leaning over and in pain.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:28 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Does someone else want to make the GDT to change up the mojo? 442?

04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
piercehannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Does someone else want to make the GDT to change up the mojo? 442?
442!!!

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:51 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehannigan View Post
442!!!
He hasnt exactly been reliable thus far.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
txpd

just open the thread with the simple thread title and the words gdt is open as the op.
no more fancy gdt. caps should avoid fancy play and we a fancy gdt. or just open it with a photo of lloyd or sammy L and be done with it

Old
04-30-2011, 10:28 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
i am not going wading in tampon bay

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote