HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Now is Darcy's time to show his stuff

Old
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Now is Darcy's time to show his stuff

Quote:
Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff huddled with their troops for end-of-the-season meetings Thursday and no doubt left the Sabres' nucleus with an upbeat message about next season and beyond. It was a good year. This team is skating in the right direction, but gone now are their annual excuses for falling short.
Quote:
The bottom line now is that he needs to prove he's up to the job. We're going to learn plenty about his management skills now that the word "no" has been removed from the Sabres' vocabulary. We're going to see whether his negotiating skills can be effective without him needing the hard-line approach common during his tenure.
Quote:
Regier is a good man, he really is. He knows hockey, he really does. But I have my doubts about his ability to make the bold, unsentimental choices needed to build a winner. A few players are skeptical, too. He has a reputation inside his own organization for fretting over petty decisions, let alone the ones that can push the Sabres over the top.

Granted, Regier worked for owners who worried about money first and winning second, but it didn't mean he didn't have enough to succeed. This bit about him chained to an unreasonable budget is a myth. The Sabres spent enough money during the Golisano Administration, but they didn't spend it wisely enough.
Quote:
Brad Boyes looked like a sound addition and worth the $4 million salary through next season. The Sabres probably wouldn't have reached the playoffs without him before his production plummeted late in the season and the playoffs. Boyes looked like a keeper after the trade, but he looked like a mistake in the playoffs. Does he stay?
Quote:
The Sabres need help down the middle, and there aren't many No. 1 centers available after Brad Richards when free agency opens. Regier will need to sell the master plan, sell Buffalo as a great hockey town and in many ways sell himself. Trades are always a possibility, but it will take imagination and could cost them good prospects.
Quote:
Can they get Patrick Sharp out of Chicago? Can they convince the Penguins they don't need Evgeni Malkin's big contract? If so, do they want him? Heck, any chance they can grab Briere from cap-strained Philly for one of their kids?
Quote:
The options are limitless. Players previously deemed off limits are now on their radar. Rumors were rampant that he nearly pulled off a blockbuster at the deadline this year before making the swap for Boyes. The Sabres need to stop speculation about just-misses and start holding news conferences announcing deals that were completed.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle406546.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

He's STILL going on with Patrick Sharp? Holy hell.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I would be all about the Malkin rumor if Tyler Myers didn't reconfigure the ligaments in his knee.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
AxeMan816

Just out of curiosity did anyone ever hear any guesses on what the rumored "blockbuster that almost happened at the deadline" was?

AxeMan816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
He's STILL going on with Patrick Sharp? Holy hell.
When does Bucky ever let an idea go?

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:28 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
This isn't meant to revisit the past but to deliver warnings about the future. Regier might not have the stomach or temperament needed to keep this team moving forward and put the Sabres back into Cup contention. Then again, maybe he does.
His negativity and perpetual doubt makes me sick and so does his weak attempt at being positive

I have never been a staunch supporter of Regier, but I have never been completely against the man. I am confident that we will see some very positive things come out of this offseason.

Even if Regier were to land Richards in a blockbuster deal, I am sure Bucky will report on Regier's love fest for concussion prone centers

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan816 View Post
Just out of curiosity did anyone ever hear any guesses on what the rumored "blockbuster that almost happened at the deadline" was?
Spezza.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

We all knew this was coming from Bucky. I laughed so hard reading this sentence: "Regier is a good man, he really is. He knows hockey, he really does." It's like he's trying to convince himself while writing his own opinionated article.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
We all knew this was coming from Bucky. I laughed so hard reading this sentence: "Regier is a good man, he really is. He knows hockey, he really does." It's like he's trying to convince himself while writing his own opinionated article.
The guy is a horrible writer.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
OkimLom

Can we send Bucky over to Eklund(unless he's Eklund too). This way we will never have to read any of his atricles.

I find it so funny that the writers that you see once a week, have better written and better researched articles. Its like those guys are out there getting the facts. ROOKIES!!!! Nobody wants facts, they want opinions.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
michaelsaas

Bucky is an idiot and although I am generally positive and think Darcy is a good GM overall, I can't avoid this sinking feeling that he is not gonna find any of the pieces we really need, and end up making a lateral move (or worse) for the sake of "making a splash this summer"

Hopefully I am wrong though.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
The guy is a horrible writer.
No doubt about it, I just got a really good laugh out of that sentence.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Eh, at the root of it, he's expressing the same concern I have with Regier -- is he able to change his ways enough to be dynamic in the face of needed change or is he going to continue to be glacially slow to act? And will his actions be correct, more importantly?

04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Eh, at the root of it, he's expressing the same concern I have with Regier -- is he able to change his ways enough to be dynamic in the face of needed change or is he going to continue to be glacially slow to act? And will his actions be correct, more importantly?
I may detest Bucky, but I'm in the same boat as taking a wait and see attitude about Regier now that the "handcuffs are off".

Will Regier deliver changes now or will we continue to hear about the players that got away more than the players that he landed?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I may detest Bucky, but I'm in the same boat as taking a wait and see attitude about Regier now that the "handcuffs are off".

Will Regier deliver changes now or will we continue to hear about the players that got away more than the players that he landed?
He was a slow mover early in the Riga$ years too, taking over a year to land Gilmour and Gratton. And then later on as the team changed hands, it took him a long time to acquire Grier, who was someone he had interest in as far back as the Hecht deal in '02 but took another 2 years to finally land. He has moved at the speed of glacial drift in the past. We can only hope that with Pegula and Black being around, he'll be moving faster in both contract negotiations (RFA and UFA) and trade dealings.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
michaelsaas

Quote:
He was a slow mover early in the Riga$ years too, taking over a year to land Gilmour and Gratton. And then later on as the team changed hands, it took him a long time to acquire Grier, who was someone he had interest in as far back as the Hecht deal in '02 but took another 2 years to finally land. He has moved at the speed of glacial drift in the past. We can only hope that with Pegula and Black being around, he'll be moving faster in both contract negotiations (RFA and UFA) and trade dealings.
Maybe that's what is causing my concern. I forgot he moved slow in the past too! But he did manage to pull off some nice moves. Didn't Dumont get included in the Gilmour trade?

Like the rest of us, I am just going to hope for the best

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
Maybe that's what is causing my concern. I forgot he moved slow in the past too! But he did manage to pull off some nice moves. Didn't Dumont get included in the Gilmour trade?

Like the rest of us, I am just going to hope for the best
Dumont was, yet that was 11 years ago. Gilmour was someone Regier bid on in free agency (as was Ron Francis) in '98 but he couldn't close the deal with either and it took him nearly two full seasons to finally land him in trade.

The influence of Ted Black will be interesting to witness, if he's able to keep Darcy moving and keep selling new image of the team to outsiders.

Cautious optimism at this point.

Edit -- speaking of Gilmour, he's another one they could try healing up old wounds with since he's still a paragon for many in the Golden Horseshoe.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Yeah, Gilmour and Francis are prime examples of Regier getting close to landing guys, but not sealing the deal.

That we continued to hear it at the deadline has me slightly worried that Regier won't be vastly improved just because the owner changed and the handcuffs are off.

But, I have no problem with giving him an entire season with the new regime in place to see if he can land a whale or two.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, Gilmour and Francis are prime examples of Regier getting close to landing guys, but not sealing the deal.

That we continued to hear it at the deadline has me slightly worried that Regier won't be vastly improved just because the owner changed and the handcuffs are off.

But, I have no problem with giving him an entire season with the new regime in place to see if he can land a whale or two.
OT: It just struck me that you and I have been commenting on and arguing over Regier's moves for 11 years. I love tech jobs!!

At this point, Regier's patience may be a virtue in keeping Pegula's exuberence in check a bit. The fear that they'll make a bad contract or poor deal just to make one for what they think they need is almost as significant a risk as the possibility of Regier's slowness. Perhaps they can hit a middle ground.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
OT: It just struck me that you and I have been commenting on and arguing over Regier's moves for 11 years. I love tech jobs!!
Time flies when you're complaining about Darcy's slowness!

Quote:
At this point, Regier's patience may be a virtue in keeping Pegula's exuberence in check a bit. The fear that they'll make a bad contract or poor deal just to make one for what they think they need is almost as significant a risk as the possibility of Regier's slowness. Perhaps they can hit a middle ground.
True.

I do worry about cap space in the future to lock up Myers et al.

Plus, if the whole Drury offer not getting signed off is true, we shouldn't have to worry about Regier having to deal with that, at least!

Old
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

god, I hope he doesn't show off his stuff.

ba dum shhh

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
slip

Quote:

Then you have Cullen and Koivu this past off-season.

It's been years since Regier did anything of significance on the trade/UFA front. Does he even know how to overpay for something we desperately need?

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Then you have Cullen and Koivu this past off-season.

It's been years since Regier did anything of significance on the trade/UFA front. Does he even know how to overpay for something we desperately need?
We're all about to find out if he can close the deal now that he has backing... and if he's able to do so without going Sather Stupid now that he's got the financing.

Wasn't there a third? Matt Lombardi too?

Old
04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
slip

Quote:
We're all about to find out if he can close the deal now that he has backing... and if he's able to do so without going Sather Stupid now that he's got the financing.

Wasn't there a third? Matt Lombardi too?
Lombardi too? That's even more comical. I mean, it's not like we weren't in dire need of centers before the season started. Some might even argue that the lack of center depth is what did us in against the Flyers. Heck, I might be one of those people.

I mean, what can you say when every main UFA you target shuns you? I hope the only thing holding Regier back is/was the perception of among UFAs that Buffalo ownership is stingy, apathetic, and content to be average -- the very things Pegula seems hell bent on fixing.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:11 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Lombardi too? That's even more comical. I mean, it's not like we weren't in dire need of centers before the season started. Some might even argue that the lack of center depth is what did us in against the Flyers. Heck, I might be one of those people.

I mean, what can you say when every main UFA you target shuns you? I hope the only thing holding Regier back is/was the perception of among UFAs that Buffalo ownership is stingy, apathetic, and content to be average -- the very things Pegula seems hell bent on fixing.
I seem to get the impression that Regier gets close, but then doesn't seal the deal because he's $500k per short or offers 1 or 2 years fewer than other teams.

Now he tried to pin some of that on BTG/LQ (Lydman and/or Tallinder, IIRC). So, if that truly was the case, then I would expect results to vary moving forward.

But, we shall see......