HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura was the best choice at #18...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2004, 03:37 PM
  #1
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Chipchura was the best choice at #18...

If you like someone better who was taken later, try to make your case.

db23 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:38 PM
  #2
KILLger
Registered User
 
KILLger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Too early to say, but things are looking good.

KILLger is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:39 PM
  #3
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
If you like someone better who was taken later, try to make your case.
How can you say that? He didn't even scored 20 goals this season.

markov` is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:39 PM
  #4
Habsaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
He was a good pick, I thin lots of teams will be sorry they past on him in a few years.

Habsaholic is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
  #5
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Too early to tell, but things are looking good.
It was great that the team was able to pick for "need" without having to reach at all. Calgary was anxious to pick him at #19, so they got him at the last possible moment in the draft.

db23 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
  #6
flick0069
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
If you like someone better who was taken later, try to make your case.
Have you seen all the other prospects play already to make this kind of judgement? Nobody knows at this point who will turn of to be the better prospect. That question will only be answered in 5 years.

flick0069 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
  #7
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
How can you say that? He didn't even scored 20 goals this season.
Well, he is never going to be a goal scorer, but I'm optomistic that he has more offensive potential at the junior level than he showed last year. Johann Fransson tore his groin a year ago, and opted out of the draft because it ruined his season. he came back this year to have a great season in the Swedish Elite League and was one fo the best of the Sweds at the WJC. Chipchura tried to play through his injury and did not opt out of the draft.I think he could come back the way Fransson did this year.

db23 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
  #8
velimiiro
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
If you like someone better who was taken later, try to make your case.
You were really pissed when they took him at 18th on draft day... i guess you changed your mind.. lmao

velimiiro is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:47 PM
  #9
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Honestly, I've never seen him play, but I think the team needs what he is projected to be. It's like the old Clarke/Perreault debate my friend and I used to have many years ago. I'd take Clarke because he did more to make his team win. My friend couldn't see how Perreault's jaw dropping talent didn't make him better. The Habs need a warrior and I hope he's the guy.

mcphee is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:47 PM
  #10
KingJarl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
How can you say that? He didn't even scored 20 goals this season.
True. Which is why he dropped in the rankings. However, Chipchura played with an un-healed groin for half the season. You lose all explosive quickness with an injured groin. No wonder he didn't score much. He also said he wanted to come back to show his teammates that he was not a quitter. Best pick at #18? We'll see how things go, but he might turn out to be one of the top ten players that succeed from the '04 draft based on character alone. I think he was a steal @ #18. I love it, not to mention we stole Kostitsyn (who dropped because of condition) too.

These kids are 18 and 19 respectively, and it's been a long time since we've had so much potential so young. The future's so bright... I gotta wear shades.

KingJarl is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
  #11
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flick0069
Have you seen all the other prospects play already to make this kind of judgement? Nobody knows at this point who will turn of to be the better prospect. That question will only be answered in 5 years.
Well Einstein, there will hardly be much suspense or reason for debate five years from now when we know how they turned out, will there? In case you missed it this board is called Hockey's Future and 95% of the posts deal with speculation about the future of players and teams.

db23 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 03:53 PM
  #12
Jacques Strappe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Halifax
Posts: 424
vCash: 500


Man, we gotta get some free agents moving.... it's gonna be a looooong summer.

At one time, I could at least amuse myself by following the 'Spos, but no point in that anymore!

Well, Go Als I guess (until we get a CFL franchise in Halifax that is!)

Jacques Strappe is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
  #13
flick0069
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Well Einstein, there will hardly be much suspense or reason for debate five years from now when we know how they turned out, will there? In case you missed it this board is called Hockey's Future and 95% of the posts deal with speculation about the future of players and teams.
First, thanks for the compliment....have always known i was very smart! Out of your 616 post DB23, this is the only intelligent thing I have ever seen you write!
Second, how can you even debate the subject of who is better at this point when you haven't seen 95% of the prospect play more than 2 or 3 games? You are the sameone who hate the pick when we selected Chipchura!! Because he had a couple of god practises now all of a sudden you like the kid???
We can project that he will be a good two way center....nothing new there but to come to the conclusion that he was the best pic at 18 is trully pointless!
By the way congratulations! You managed to write more than 2 sentence's without insulting Kostitsyn!

flick0069 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 04:08 PM
  #14
Freebooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
If you like someone better who was taken later, try to make your case.
I agree that Chipchura was the best available at #18. The only guy I would try to make a case for would be Mike Green: Right D (a precious commodity), tough, good skater, hits hard, good offence. I would have considered him right alongside Chipchura at #18. Green went #29. Shows what I know!

Freebooter is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 04:13 PM
  #15
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebooter
I agree that Chipchura was the best available at #18. The only guy I would try to make a case for would be Mike Green: Right D (a precious commodity), tough, good skater, hits hard, good offence. I would have considered him right alongside Chipchura at #18. Green went #29. Shows what I know!
Yeah, Green strikes me as another Nick Schultz who has been a starter in Minnesota since he was 18. But I do have a lot of faith in CSS ratings, and they kept Chipchura ahead of Green, Wolski, Schremp, etc. even after his second half slump.

db23 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
  #16
Freebooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Yeah, Green strikes me as another Nick Schultz who has been a starter in Minnesota since he was 18. But I do have a lot of faith in CSS ratings, and they kept Chipchura ahead of Green, Wolski, Schremp, etc. even after his second half slump.
Schultz is a good comparison for Green. Wolski and to a lesser extent Schremp look like potential busts to me. If Wolski doesn't get quicker and tougher he will be a journeyman at best. Schremp looks like Daniel Cleary to me.

Freebooter is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 04:28 PM
  #17
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Chipchura will be a player, a character guy. Like a Scott Thornton type. A 3-4th line center. I would have chosen the defenseman Ottawa picked. Has Tomas Kaberle type upside.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 04:31 PM
  #18
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Mike Green would have been another good one. Because he has such explosive speed for a defensman.

What I was hoping Montreal would do on draft was trade Garon and the third rounder, move up in the draft to select Mike Green also. Then took the Bonk money and used it to keep Kovalev here or sign either Palffy or Demitra.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 04:31 PM
  #19
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,577
vCash: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I would have chosen the defenseman Ottawa picked. Has Tomas Kaberle type upside.
I would have done the same but Chippy doesn't seem to be as bad as I originally thought. Hopefully the groin injury was the real reason for his lack of offensive production in the 2nd half of his season. His leadership skills are impressing me, he's already the ''captain'' of the development camp and him helping out Kostitsyn understand the drills is another proof.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 05:36 PM
  #20
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
If you like someone better who was taken later, try to make your case.
Who the hell are you, and what did you do with the real db23?

All-Star is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 05:38 PM
  #21
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Who the hell are you, and what did you do with the real db23?
Aliens and vengeful spirits. They are everywhere, everywhere I tell you ! Excuse me while I put on my aluminium cap.

Des Louise is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 07:11 PM
  #22
Fanfrombc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
Guys, take it easy on this guy. I run three times a week and recently I pulled my groin while I was playing soccer. The pain was incredible for the first week and the doctor has just ordered me to stop any physical acitivty for about at least three months. Now, I do not know the extent of his groin injury but they could be really serious. I think we should wait at least a couple of years before we know his offensive potential. For this reason, I think that the Habs picked a good one since we lack depth down the middle and you will never know how he will turn out to be

Fanfrombc is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 08:10 PM
  #23
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,297
vCash: 500
I was alittle dissapointed the Habs didn`t draft Meszaro`s, I was hoping they`d make a trade for a second 1st round pick. But Chipchura was another guy I wasn`t opposed to drafting. I`m just happy we didn`t get Schremp.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 08:32 PM
  #24
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,754
vCash: 500
Best pick they coulda made. Chipchura was perfect.

I don't have much to go on for Chipchura himself, but I have seen plenty of some of the other so-called options, like Wolski and Schremp, and I wouldn't touch them in that spot. The only guys I would alternatively have considered were some of the other guys I haven't seen... Korpikoski, Meszaros, or even Zajac (if I had seen enough of them to be convinced). Of course, 5 years from now, probably one of these guys will look more "glamourous" than Chipchura, but I don't see how we could have made any other choice at this spot.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 08:34 PM
  #25
shady_records
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Chipchura was ranked No. 1 in the North American Skaters at the middle of the season.

shady_records is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.