HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura was the best choice at #18...

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2004, 03:37 PM
db23

vCash: 500
Chipchura was the best choice at #18...

If you like someone better who was taken later, try to make your case.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:38 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Too early to say, but things are looking good.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:39 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
How can you say that? He didn't even scored 20 goals this season.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Habsaholic

He was a good pick, I thin lots of teams will be sorry they past on him in a few years.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Too early to tell, but things are looking good.
It was great that the team was able to pick for "need" without having to reach at all. Calgary was anxious to pick him at #19, so they got him at the last possible moment in the draft.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
flick0069

Quote:
Have you seen all the other prospects play already to make this kind of judgement? Nobody knows at this point who will turn of to be the better prospect. That question will only be answered in 5 years.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Well, he is never going to be a goal scorer, but I'm optomistic that he has more offensive potential at the junior level than he showed last year. Johann Fransson tore his groin a year ago, and opted out of the draft because it ruined his season. he came back this year to have a great season in the Swedish Elite League and was one fo the best of the Sweds at the WJC. Chipchura tried to play through his injury and did not opt out of the draft.I think he could come back the way Fransson did this year.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
velimiiro

Quote:
You were really pissed when they took him at 18th on draft day... i guess you changed your mind.. lmao

Old
07-13-2004, 03:47 PM
mcphee

Honestly, I've never seen him play, but I think the team needs what he is projected to be. It's like the old Clarke/Perreault debate my friend and I used to have many years ago. I'd take Clarke because he did more to make his team win. My friend couldn't see how Perreault's jaw dropping talent didn't make him better. The Habs need a warrior and I hope he's the guy.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:47 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
True. Which is why he dropped in the rankings. However, Chipchura played with an un-healed groin for half the season. You lose all explosive quickness with an injured groin. No wonder he didn't score much. He also said he wanted to come back to show his teammates that he was not a quitter. Best pick at #18? We'll see how things go, but he might turn out to be one of the top ten players that succeed from the '04 draft based on character alone. I think he was a steal @ #18. I love it, not to mention we stole Kostitsyn (who dropped because of condition) too.

These kids are 18 and 19 respectively, and it's been a long time since we've had so much potential so young. The future's so bright... I gotta wear shades.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:49 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick0069
Have you seen all the other prospects play already to make this kind of judgement? Nobody knows at this point who will turn of to be the better prospect. That question will only be answered in 5 years.
Well Einstein, there will hardly be much suspense or reason for debate five years from now when we know how they turned out, will there? In case you missed it this board is called Hockey's Future and 95% of the posts deal with speculation about the future of players and teams.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Jacques Strappe

Man, we gotta get some free agents moving.... it's gonna be a looooong summer.

At one time, I could at least amuse myself by following the 'Spos, but no point in that anymore!

Well, Go Als I guess (until we get a CFL franchise in Halifax that is!)

Old
07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
flick0069

Quote:
Well Einstein, there will hardly be much suspense or reason for debate five years from now when we know how they turned out, will there? In case you missed it this board is called Hockey's Future and 95% of the posts deal with speculation about the future of players and teams.
First, thanks for the compliment....have always known i was very smart! Out of your 616 post DB23, this is the only intelligent thing I have ever seen you write!
Second, how can you even debate the subject of who is better at this point when you haven't seen 95% of the prospect play more than 2 or 3 games? You are the sameone who hate the pick when we selected Chipchura!! Because he had a couple of god practises now all of a sudden you like the kid???
We can project that he will be a good two way center....nothing new there but to come to the conclusion that he was the best pic at 18 is trully pointless!
By the way congratulations! You managed to write more than 2 sentence's without insulting Kostitsyn!

Old
07-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Freebooter

Quote:
I agree that Chipchura was the best available at #18. The only guy I would try to make a case for would be Mike Green: Right D (a precious commodity), tough, good skater, hits hard, good offence. I would have considered him right alongside Chipchura at #18. Green went #29. Shows what I know!

Old
07-13-2004, 04:13 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebooter
I agree that Chipchura was the best available at #18. The only guy I would try to make a case for would be Mike Green: Right D (a precious commodity), tough, good skater, hits hard, good offence. I would have considered him right alongside Chipchura at #18. Green went #29. Shows what I know!
Yeah, Green strikes me as another Nick Schultz who has been a starter in Minnesota since he was 18. But I do have a lot of faith in CSS ratings, and they kept Chipchura ahead of Green, Wolski, Schremp, etc. even after his second half slump.

Old
07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Freebooter

Quote:
Yeah, Green strikes me as another Nick Schultz who has been a starter in Minnesota since he was 18. But I do have a lot of faith in CSS ratings, and they kept Chipchura ahead of Green, Wolski, Schremp, etc. even after his second half slump.
Schultz is a good comparison for Green. Wolski and to a lesser extent Schremp look like potential busts to me. If Wolski doesn't get quicker and tougher he will be a journeyman at best. Schremp looks like Daniel Cleary to me.

Old
07-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Chipchura will be a player, a character guy. Like a Scott Thornton type. A 3-4th line center. I would have chosen the defenseman Ottawa picked. Has Tomas Kaberle type upside.

Old
07-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Mike Green would have been another good one. Because he has such explosive speed for a defensman.

What I was hoping Montreal would do on draft was trade Garon and the third rounder, move up in the draft to select Mike Green also. Then took the Bonk money and used it to keep Kovalev here or sign either Palffy or Demitra.

Old
07-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I would have chosen the defenseman Ottawa picked. Has Tomas Kaberle type upside.
I would have done the same but Chippy doesn't seem to be as bad as I originally thought. Hopefully the groin injury was the real reason for his lack of offensive production in the 2nd half of his season. His leadership skills are impressing me, he's already the ''captain'' of the development camp and him helping out Kostitsyn understand the drills is another proof.

Old
07-13-2004, 05:36 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Who the hell are you, and what did you do with the real db23?

Old
07-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Who the hell are you, and what did you do with the real db23?
Aliens and vengeful spirits. They are everywhere, everywhere I tell you ! Excuse me while I put on my aluminium cap.

Old
07-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Fanfrombc

Guys, take it easy on this guy. I run three times a week and recently I pulled my groin while I was playing soccer. The pain was incredible for the first week and the doctor has just ordered me to stop any physical acitivty for about at least three months. Now, I do not know the extent of his groin injury but they could be really serious. I think we should wait at least a couple of years before we know his offensive potential. For this reason, I think that the Habs picked a good one since we lack depth down the middle and you will never know how he will turn out to be

Old
07-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I was alittle dissapointed the Habs didn`t draft Meszaro`s, I was hoping they`d make a trade for a second 1st round pick. But Chipchura was another guy I wasn`t opposed to drafting. I`m just happy we didn`t get Schremp.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Best pick they coulda made. Chipchura was perfect.

I don't have much to go on for Chipchura himself, but I have seen plenty of some of the other so-called options, like Wolski and Schremp, and I wouldn't touch them in that spot. The only guys I would alternatively have considered were some of the other guys I haven't seen... Korpikoski, Meszaros, or even Zajac (if I had seen enough of them to be convinced). Of course, 5 years from now, probably one of these guys will look more "glamourous" than Chipchura, but I don't see how we could have made any other choice at this spot.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:34 PM
shady_records

Chipchura was ranked No. 1 in the North American Skaters at the middle of the season.

Closed Thread