HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura was the best choice at #18...

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2004, 08:12 PM
db23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Best pick they coulda made. Chipchura was perfect.

I don't have much to go on for Chipchura himself, but I have seen plenty of some of the other so-called options, like Wolski and Schremp, and I wouldn't touch them in that spot. The only guys I would alternatively have considered were some of the other guys I haven't seen... Korpikoski, Meszaros, or even Zajac (if I had seen enough of them to be convinced). Of course, 5 years from now, probably one of these guys will look more "glamourous" than Chipchura, but I don't see how we could have made any other choice at this spot.
I don't know about Meszaros, he could be a real sleeper coming out of Slovakia, but for a pair of forwards who were supposed to be offensive types I'm not impressed by Korpikoski or Zajac. Korpikoski averaged less points per game in the Finnish junior league last season than Chipchura did in the CHL. Zajac is a year older and had just a few more points in the Tier II when he was 17 than Chipchura had in the CHL as a 17 year old. I seriously doubt that either of these players will be more productive on offense than Chipchura. Not to mention the fact that Kyle has all of the other things going for him.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
I don't know about Meszaros, he could be a real sleeper coming out of Slovakia, but for a pair of forwards who were supposed to be offensive types I'm not impressed by Korpikoski or Zajac. Korpikoski averaged less points per game in the Finnish junior league last season than Chipchura did in the CHL. Zajac is a year older and had just a few more points in the Tier II when he was 17 than Chipchura had in the CHL as a 17 year old. I seriously doubt that either of these players will be more productive on offense than Chipchura. Not to mention the fact that Kyle has all of the other things going for him.
Like I said, I have no clue about Korpikoski or Zajac... I'm not impressed by their statistical stories either, but you do hear other good things about them, stats aside. And if Conte and Lou liked Zajac so much, that to me says something.

Anyway, it's money in the bank that somebody picked after #18 will turn out to be a more productive player than Chipchura. But since we have absolutely no clue who it will be, I'm totally thrillified with Chips. Canadiens Hockey Patrol, they nailed the pick. Obviously Calgary was going to take him right after us, so it's not like there was any thought of trading down either. He went exactly where he was gonna go.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
I would of personally taken Robbie Shcremp. He's has star potential written all over him..

Old
07-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life
I would of personally taken Robbie Shcremp. He's has star potential written all over him..
Alas, expert handwriting analysis shows that half the writing is in his own hand. Sometimes a kid like that, you get his head screwed on "right enough" for him to rock in the NHL. Nobody every complained about Jeremy Roenick or Brett Hull having a big mouth. But at the end of the day, those guys do care a heckuvalot about their teammates too. As for Schremp... if he never has to face any adversity, he might be ok. But I think he'll go belly up at the first sign of hard times.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:14 PM
db23

Schremp has been cut from teams he should have made on talent alone. Same with Wolski who didn't make the U18 team. That makes you wonder.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:19 PM
db23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfrombc
Guys, take it easy on this guy. I run three times a week and recently I pulled my groin while I was playing soccer. The pain was incredible for the first week and the doctor has just ordered me to stop any physical acitivty for about at least three months. Now, I do not know the extent of his groin injury but they could be really serious. I think we should wait at least a couple of years before we know his offensive potential. For this reason, I think that the Habs picked a good one since we lack depth down the middle and you will never know how he will turn out to be
I read one report that said he tore the groin, but that doesn't seem right if he only missed 8 games. The fact that he was rated the top N.A. prospect up until mid season (when the injury occured) then slipped in the scout's estimation, but came back at the end of the year would indicate the injury hampered his performance quite a bit even when he was in the lineup.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:49 PM
markov`

Quote:
Well, he is never going to be a goal scorer, but I'm optomistic that he has more offensive potential at the junior level than he showed last year. Johann Fransson tore his groin a year ago, and opted out of the draft because it ruined his season. he came back this year to have a great season in the Swedish Elite League and was one fo the best of the Sweds at the WJC. Chipchura tried to play through his injury and did not opt out of the draft.I think he could come back the way Fransson did this year.
What? Are you telling me hockey is more than just stats?

Are you going crazy or what?

Old
07-13-2004, 10:09 PM
db23

[QUOTE=markov`]What? Are you telling me hockey is more than just stats?

Chipchura's stats as a 16 year old in the WHL were fairly good, 30 points for a last place team that averaged 2.5 goals per game. Last year they weren't good but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt over the injury. If he comes back to score 1.5 points per game this season in the WHL, then they have a player on their hands.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:13 PM
markov`

For a moment, I thought you were intelligent. Thanks for reminding me I was wrong.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:59 PM
velimiiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
For a moment, I thought you were intelligent. Thanks for reminding me I was wrong.

Old
07-13-2004, 11:07 PM
db23

Well, comedians, take a look at the case of Ryan Hollweg who was the top Bantam draft pick into the WHL a couple of years before Chipchura. Hollweg broke in very well with 46 points in 50 odd games. Next season 50 odd points in 60 odd games. Next season 70 points in 60 games, then a lost season due to injury and last year he was playing as an overage player and had 57 points in 52 games. He ended up being an 8th round NHL draft pick. I don't think the Rangers are counting him in their plans at the moment, either.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:04 AM
flick0069

Quote:

Old
07-14-2004, 10:24 AM
perezhoginthebest

I prefer Robbie Shremp than Kyle Chipchura !!!!!!

Old
07-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Schremp has been cut from teams he should have made on talent alone. Same with Wolski who didn't make the U18 team. That makes you wonder.
Oh yeah. I forgot that not making the World Junior team as a 17 year old automatically means you have absolutely no shot at making the NHL, let alone becoming a good player.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Oh yeah. I forgot that not making the World Junior team as a 17 year old automatically means you have absolutely no shot at making the NHL, let alone becoming a good player.
I dunno about that (sarcasm aside)... it's just Schremp's CV in a microcosm: they had enough talented top-2 line guys, and Schremp can't play any other spot. He'll have the same barrier to overcome in the NHL. And he'll probably overcome it, well enough. He'll be a productive player, if he gets a fair chance. But Mike Ribeiro is a productive player too, and I wouldn't want him on my team either. There's more to winning than having talented and productive players.

Old
07-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhoginthebest
I prefer Robbie Shremp than Kyle Chipchura !!!!!!
Perhaps Shremp has more talent hockey-wise, but I doubt he would be taking Kostitsyn under his wing as Chipchura is apparently doing right now in development camp. Some say Chipchura is the tacit leader of the prospects already. He is showing why TT and AS liked him so much.

Reading an article in the Vancouver Sun a while back, Edmonton's chief scout stated that he was less than impressed with Shremp during the interview process. He was foul-mouthed and extremely arrogant. So much so that the Edmonton people had to tell him to change his tone.

There is no "I" in team.

Last edited by Duster: 07-14-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old
07-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Reading an article in the Vancouver Sun a while back, Edmonton's chief scout stated that he was less than impressed with Shremp during the interview process. He was foul-mouthed and extremely arrogant. So much so that the Edmonton people had to tell him to change his tone.

There is no "I" in team.
The one I read said that the Oilers were very happy, although maybe taken a little aback, by his interviews. If they weren't, they wouldn't have picked him.

Yeah, he dropped some F-bombs during the interview. The Oilers thought it was funny. MacTavish made a joke about it in the paper. He said something like "We told him we don't use that f***in' word around here." They didn't tell him to change his tone. His tone is a breath of fresh air that the Oilers need.

Schremp's teammates all rave about what a good guy he is on and off the ice.

Old
07-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
The one I read said that the Oilers were very happy, although maybe taken a little aback, by his interviews. If they weren't, they wouldn't have picked him.

Yeah, he dropped some F-bombs during the interview. The Oilers thought it was funny. MacTavish made a joke about it in the paper. He said something like "We told him we don't use that f***in' word around here." They didn't tell him to change his tone. His tone is a breath of fresh air that the Oilers need.

Schremp's teammates all rave about what a good guy he is on and off the ice.
Interesting comment. Perhaps the editors coloured it differently or it's the eye of the beholder thingy. I came away with the impression that they were not overly impressed with his tone or his swearing.

I interview plenty of people. F bombs during interviews denote lack of education and respect.

Old
07-14-2004, 03:11 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by flick0069
Have you seen all the other prospects play already to make this kind of judgement? Nobody knows at this point who will turn of to be the better prospect. That question will only be answered in 5 years.
Are you looking to pick a fight here!!!!! The thread is about the player available, at the present pick in the draft.. not whether or not we think that the pick will be a good one..... I can't really speak whether or not Chip will be a great player, however in drafting him our boys addressed some of our needs!!! Lets not just pick an arguement for arguing sakes... lets just address the question in hand and do so in a civil way.

So from the little information i knew about certain draftees, i'd say that it was a good pick.

Old
07-14-2004, 09:12 PM
theo6060

Quote:
This was a very inapropriate post. User attacks are against board guidelines, you should know that. Don't let it happen again.

Closed Thread