HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds @ Canucks 4-30-11 - Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

Old
04-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
Preds @ Canucks 4-30-11 - Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner

all that needs to be said

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 04-30-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
The team knows what they need to do and what needs to change from the first game. Hopefully we can steal one away and come back home 1-1, and be right where we wanted to be from the start.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:18 AM
canadianpredsfan97

I'll be at work tonight at the airport but I'll be listening (even though it will be on Canucks radio). Hoping we get the split going home with a brand new series.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

JUST WIN

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 12:10 PM
predfan24

All I ask for is the team plays with the effort they should here in the damn second round. Win or Lose if they bring it I will be satisfied.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 12:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Yeah, what you said.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 12:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Here's to Warren winning one for us tonight, so we can win one for Warren next time!

Just. Freakin. Win.

(if we lose I call next GDT. I'm itching to get in my first game)

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
To the OP.

It is blasphemy messing up the title of a Warren Zevon song.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

And you guys probably don't know this, but Warren Zevon has a solid connection to Vancouver and the Canucks outside of the fact they're mentioned in one of his songs.

The band you sometimes see playing at the start of Hockey Night in Canada games from Vancouver is called the Odds. They were big in Canada in the early to mid-90's. Warren used them as a back-up band for a couple of North American tours. They would open the show with their songs, the Warren would join them on stage for his part of the show.

You can call me Cliff.

Old
04-30-2011, 01:01 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Pred Fan Psyche: Game 2

Strange feeling this morning. Not nervous like I was b4 Game 1. Not excited like I was b4 Game 2 in the Ducks series. I'd say its a dull "downer" feeling. As Pred fans, we all deal with low-grade-doubt. As much success as we've had making the playoffs and finally winning a playoff round, only we know how fragile it all is. We deep-down know we don't match up talent-wise with most teams and certainly not this Nucks team. We know we rely on what Trotz loves to call "Predators Hockey". That "I Crawl For That Inch" tenacity where we out work our more talented foes, get great goaltending, and send them home puzzled how they lost to us (see Ducks). Then we get the cold slap in the face that was Thursday Night.

Thursday was the "Not ready for the big test in school but I'm sitting here taking it anyway" nightmare for the first 40 minutes, followed by the predictable "we had a few random chances but not talented enough to finish" 3rd period. As experts in our team's psyche, we know performances like Thursday are always lurking close by because our game relies heavily on emotion and having 20 guys "bringing it". When we just play and react to the game, we can be one of the worst teams in the league except for our goal tending.

Which brings us to tonight. The Downer vibe comes from the fear of being outed as a team that lacks the next gear needed to win at the next level of the playoffs. We toiled for 6 years trying to find it in the 1st Round. 1st Round upsets are actually rather common because its the time to catch the really good teams before they find their stride. Its like getting to an ace pitcher. If you're going to do it, you need to do it early.

I don't want tonight to be proof-positive we don't have that gear. I'm confident Trotz got their attention. The rust factor should not play in. The sense of urgency and the need to win is evident. The stage is set for a turnaround in Game 2. Win it and the world is a vastly different place. Lose it and we're in that familiar postition we've known so well in past 1st Rounds: Come home 0-2 and HOPE we can steal 2 at home.

I worry we're not up for it. That our collective lack of talent has caught up with us. That we're playing a better team who has already dodged their 1st Round bullet and is now running on all cylinders, and they have 8 of them. Our super-charged 4 cylinders needs to run at an incredible RPM level to hang.

Rev it up, Boys. Tonight is the night. The 3 day layover between Game 2 and 3 will really be a bummer if we're in that 0-2 mentality. Say it ain't so. Carry the play. Get a lead. Make them scramble. Stay out of the box. Win freakin' face-offs. Win one-on-one battles. Skate faster. Be hard on the puck. Shoot more. Get traffic to the net. Clog them up in the neutral zone. Own your own blue line. Get them whining to the refs. But most of all, give us a game we can point to that says "we belong and can win this series".

Hmmmmm, I'm feeling more excited already. I believe I've "posted" my way out of "Downer" mood and into an excited/nervous mood. Dang, they got me right where they wanted me. Believing again. I know this place. Been here many times. Hence the "Pred Cross We Bear". Okay, now that you got me, follow the word of that great 1980's philosopher, Adrian Balboa:

"Win".

"Whatta we waitin' for"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

ILikeItILoveIt - very well-written.

Old
04-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Pekka Rinne is not amused by Thursday nights game.

Let's go Preds, make him amused.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
thrillhous

Think Colin Wilson might be given a chance tonight?

Edit: Found this http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/G...445/story.html

"If I try to pick one or two players and punish them, then I don't have any players left," Trotz shrugged. "I got a goalie, some defencemen and I have no forwards. So, most likely, I will go with the same lineup."

Last edited by thrillhous: 04-30-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added link
thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:21 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Think Colin Wilson might be given a chance tonight?

Edit: Found this http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/G...445/story.html

"If I try to pick one or two players and punish them, then I don't have any players left," Trotz shrugged. "I got a goalie, some defencemen and I have no forwards. So, most likely, I will go with the same lineup."
wow, is he pissed at wilson, lol

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Did Wilson run over his dog or something?

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:27 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
No, he's pissed at everyone who isn't a goalie or a defenseman at this point. He was not very tight lipped about the forward play from the other night and I don't blame him at all. I'm sure the message got across and Shea was also pretty vocal about how embarrassed the team should've felt the other night. I think when Shea talks, people listen.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:48 PM
TootooTrain
-

Tootoo's going hunting

just win...

Last edited by TootooTrain: 04-30-2011 at 02:58 PM.
TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I think trotz might have been implying that he doesn't have enough forwards to sit everyone that deserves a wakeup call but really we don't have any extra forwards...sure maybe willy but what has he shown during practice? Is he pulling a surer?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:59 PM
predfan24

I want to see Dumont in this game.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 03:27 PM
thrillhous

I know that Halischuk and Geoffrion have been pretty solid but I can't see why Trotz wouldn't sit one of them and give Wilson a shot. He must be chomping at the bit.

Or maybe he did run over Trotz's dog

Old
04-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Soundgarden

Go Preds!! Win this one.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I understand sending a message to Wilson, but wow - I am stunned that he has not sniffed the ice in 7 playoff games. Even with injuries taken into consideration, it would have been nice for Trotz to bench him prior to the end of the regular season to see if there was a positive change in Wilson's demanor and game. Instead, he has decided to take one of the few 82 gp players in the NHL and bench him for the duration of the playoffs. Is it the right decision? I am not sure. Honestly, I think Wilson can help. He can hit, has offensive talent, and once upon a time was defensively capable. I think he can play a positive role going forward for this team in the playoffs, and he has a history of playing big in big games. The question becomes: who should Trotz bench? Of all the forwards, Sullivan probably brings the least to the team each night (when you factor in the turnovers, lack of physical play, and poor board work), but even as I say that, he has had two huge goals already this playoff season. As poor as his overall play may be, results speak for themselves, and in a limited ice-time role, he has provided timely goal-scoring with leadership. Maybe Halischuk is the forward to replace, but I like his tenacity and skating on that fourth line.

Last edited by Enoch: 04-30-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
No, he's pissed at everyone who isn't a goalie or a defenseman at this point. He was not very tight lipped about the forward play from the other night and I don't blame him at all. I'm sure the message got across and Shea was also pretty vocal about how embarrassed the team should've felt the other night. I think when Shea talks, people listen.
yup. i didn't read it close enough, and actually think you are right and it being all the forwards...

last time i asked at a game, "why is sullivan playing, he can't make a difference?".....sully proceeded to score in the next period.........so all you guys who were passengers last game........show us why you deserve to be on the bus!!

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Obviously a personality conflict or something going on with Trotz and Wilson. I don't understand JP sitting out either. At least he has offensive talent. Vancouver has a plethora of talent that was on display the other night. They make incredibly creative plays, even coming across the offensive blue line......which if I am correct, Trotz would have a heart attack if the Preds tried something like that.
Realisticly though, putting Dumont or Wilson in for 7 minutes of ice time? That is not enough time to make much of a difference, but possibly they could create some much needed creativity and offense to the Preds.
Highly doubt any changes are made. If anything it will be Dumont in.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
thrillhous

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it if Wilson took the benching poorly and he is now being punished. I remember reading one of Wilson's quotes after being benched for Game 1 (or maybe Game 2) and remembered thinking that he didn't necessarily say all the right things.