HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCSF: San Jose Sharks vs (3) Detroit Red Wings PART II

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2011, 09:26 PM
WorkingOvertime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
this exact quote is how we feel (except with Pavelski instead of Abdelkader). u cant prove it either way, so its a waste of time to discuss it.

i agree with the rest.
Most game highlights have the Pavelski hit, but I haven't been able to find the Abdelkader one. As I said in my first post here, complaining about penalties, missed calls, embellishing, etc is futile. These things happen in every game. It's unfortunate (for Wings' fans) that the past series (and last game) the Sharks were able to capitalize on these chances. If the Wings were able to kill these penalties it likely wouldn't be a big deal, but the Sharks have scored on these PP's and that's frustrating as a Wings fan.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I am somewhat losing respect for some of my fellow Wings fans who are always crying and blaming the refs.

Thats the **** I hear from Flyers fans(not necessarily the ones on this board) on daily basis and it annoys the hell out of me.

If the refs blatantly costed us the game its one thing, but we were flat out outplayed most of the game and whether you believe calls were questionable or not we killed off every Penalty except for one.

The fact of the matter is Jimmy Howard kept us in the game and the refs didn't make Ferriero's shot deflect of Stuarts stick.

These are the only 3 penalties I see somewhat questionable:

Bertuzzi's board- Pavelski may have embellished but in game speed you can see how it was called.(ends up in SJ goal)

Eaves' slash- This was a lil bit ticky tack IMO, but we killed it off.

Abdelkaders high stick- Clearly a high stick, I personally did not see blood, but we killed it off.

I say this a lot but be thankful the NHL has a penalty kill and penalties don't result in free throws or the ball placed on the 1 yard line.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtylerjr View Post
Over the years, this is what I've seen: Kings Fans: Sensible, reasonably objective, reasonably classy, call a spade a spade Kings Coach: Ridiculous hyperbole, blames refs, everyone else Wings Coach: Sensible, reasonably objective, reasonably classy, calls a spade a spade Wings Fans: Ridiculous hyperbole, blame refs, everyone else ..A weird symmetry.
Theres only a handful of Wings fans arguing in this thread about the refs. I havent looked but I bet theres more Wings posters saying the Sharks deserved the win and played harder. Considering the Wings have one of the largest fanbases in the NHL arguably only behind the Habs and Leafs, I wouldnt paint a whole fanbase as such.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
With regards to not seeing blood...

Refs are feet away from him and can see it a lot better than we can. Sure the refs make mistakes, but that's in the heat of the moment, when they have a single angle and a split second to make a decision. In the case of blood being drawn, they have time to make a ham sandwich before deciding if it's worth the double minor.

So you're left with one of the following arguments:
  • Wallin had a blood packet.
  • They are biased towards a team west of the Mississippi.
  • They don't know what blood looks like.

I'm not sure which is the most ridiculous....

Old
04-30-2011, 10:07 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
Really , I didn't see any Wings players getting shot by a common check to the boards.

If it smells like a fish and dives like a fish and flops like a fish , then....it's ... a .....Shark.
Clowe's hit on Abdelkader. He lays on the ice for like 5 seconds, realizes there isn't a call, and jumps immediately back up and gets back into the play.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I am somewhat losing respect for some of my fellow Wings fans who are always crying and blaming the refs.

Thats the **** I hear from Flyers fans(not necessarily the ones on this board) on daily basis and it annoys the hell out of me.

If the refs blatantly costed us the game its one thing, but we were flat out outplayed most of the game and whether you believe calls were questionable or not we killed off every Penalty except for one.

The fact of the matter is Jimmy Howard kept us in the game and the refs didn't make Ferriero's shot deflect of Stuarts stick.

These are the only 3 penalties I see somewhat questionable:

Bertuzzi's board- Pavelski may have embellished but in game speed you can see how it was called.(ends up in SJ goal)

Eaves' slash- This was a lil bit ticky tack IMO, but we killed it off.

Abdelkaders high stick- Clearly a high stick, I personally did not see blood, but we killed it off.

I say this a lot but be thankful the NHL has a penalty kill and penalties don't result in free throws or the ball placed on the 1 yard line.
I thought Bertuzzi had the only questionable penalty. Eaves slash was pretty bad imo, and Abdelkader was just.....well, words just can't describe what a horrible effort on that play.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

This is a series. Depth will reveal itself over the course of the series. The Sharks played well and dominated much of the 2nd and 3rd periods. IN GAME ONE. Nothing has been established here except a 1-0 lead in the series. The Wings will have to play better to win the series and I suspect they will. I also suspect the team that wins this series will win the cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
er, that's what i meant. the only awesome line the red wings had was THEIR first. their 2nd-4th didn't do terribly a lot and got hemmed in their own zone for alot of the play. so much for their vaunted depth hehe.

Old
05-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm View Post
Theres only a handful of Wings fans arguing in this thread about the refs. I havent looked but I bet theres more Wings posters saying the Sharks deserved the win and played harder. Considering the Wings have one of the largest fanbases in the NHL arguably only behind the Habs and Leafs, I wouldnt paint a whole fanbase as such.

You should've seen the first two pages of this thread before 90% of it was deleted, consisted of nothing but Wings fans *****ing about the refs. Check your own GDT and every single GDT from last year's series if you need further proof. It's a shame that any discussion of games between these two always deteriorates into this, because there are so many other things we could (and should) be talking about with regards to these two great teams.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Kiefer

Remember your history. Fight for it.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:34 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
You should've seen the first two pages of this thread before 90% of it was deleted, consisted of nothing but Wings fans *****ing about the refs. Check your own GDT and every single GDT from last year's series if you need further proof. It's a shame that any discussion of games between these two always deteriorates into this, because there are so many other things we could (and should) be talking about with regards to these two great teams.
a lot of the GDTs from last years series have lots of neutral fans complaining about the refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post

actually they kind of did

the Wings penalty killers were still trapped in their zone and tired from the kill on that play

Old
05-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
a lot of the GDTs from last years series have lots of neutral fans complaining about the refs

the Wings penalty killers were still trapped in their zone and tired from the kill on that play
And either way, it discredits and disrespects the opposition by complaining about the officiating.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:08 AM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

wzf? can't believe this call is still being talked about.

this. is. amazeballs.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:13 AM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
And either way, it discredits and disrespects the opposition by complaining about the officiating.
No, it does not. I think the Sharks outplayed the Wings and the officiating was inconsistent.

What black and white world do you live in?

Old
05-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
No, it does not. I think the Sharks outplayed the Wings and the officiating was inconsistent.

What black and white world do you live in?
Read what I was responding to before you go off talking about what world I live in.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:20 AM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Read what I was responding to before you go off talking about what world I live in.
I did, either explain yourself better or don't make comments that sound like you are stating complaining about officiating precludes giving credit to the other team.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I did, either explain yourself better or don't make comments that sound like you are stating complaining about officiating precludes giving credit to the other team.
Do you notice any credit given in his post to the opposition? No? That would be why. I would think reading it would've solved that for you but I guess some things need to be spelled out for some people. Or you didn't actually read it and I'm inclined to go with the latter with such a silly response by you.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:29 AM
icKx
What now?

What you're attempting to do is stifle any discussion about penalties under the premise that doing so is necessarily disrespectful and takes away from the Sharks.

It doesn't, and nobody needs to preface every single comment about officiating with "the Sharks played well but..." just to cater to your sensitivities.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
What you're attempting to do is stifle any discussion about penalties under the premise that doing so is necessarily disrespectful and takes away from the Sharks.

It doesn't, and nobody needs to preface every single comment about officiating with "the Sharks played well but..." just to cater to your sensitivities.
lol you keep thinking that. I've already had discussions with people in this very thread about the officiating but no, I'm doing what you think I am. That's rich.

The point of the post was simply to stifle that particularly ridiculous notion that it was the refs fault that Ferriero's shot deflected off of Stuart's stick.

What you're attempting to do is respond to a post in an uninformed fashion...and you succeeded.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:55 AM
icKx
What now?

And yet rather than simply stating that credit must be given to Ferriero your whole argument was framed around the idea that it "discredits and disrespects" the Sharks by acknowledging that the officiating had a role in the play.

See, what I'm attempting to do is respond to the words you used... so do a better job of choosing them.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
And yet rather than simply stating that credit must be given to Ferriero your whole argument was framed around the idea that it "discredits and disrespects" the Sharks by acknowledging that the officiating had a role in the play.

See, what I'm attempting to do is respond to the words you used... so do a better job of choosing them.
That's because, and like I said before about you reading that post, that poster inferred that the refs were the reason why the Wings lost that game.

See, what I'm attempting to do is explain to a poster who is arguing for argument's sake because they refuse to read the post I was responding to and wants to add something that was never said by that poster and use that as a way to defend such a ridiculous stance.

You can respond to this with whatever you like as I'm done with this particular part of it. My post is exactly what I want it to say because I actually read what I was responding to unlike you.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:17 AM
icKx
What now?

I read what you were responding to but it's obvious at this point that rather than just say the Sharks deserve credit and not the refs you tried to be clever and insinuate that a Wings fan was discrediting and being disrespectful towards your team when clearly he was only criticizing the officiating and the two can be exclusive.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:27 AM
14ari13

Look
1. We the Wings fans might think/see that the Bertuzzi hit on Pavalsi was not a penalty, but the Sharks fans might think it was a penalty. It was called a penalty.
2. Again, we the Wings fans might think that the hit on Abdelkader by Clowe was a penalty, the Sharks might think it was not a penalty. It was not called a penalty.
So what the fans think might be/is subjective, but the fact is that those 2 questionable calls went against the Wings
So, we can again say the refs are human they can make mistakes.
But let see some more facts.
The calls in game 1 were 6 to 2 against the Wings. So let say again this can happen if a team is outplayed badly.
But more facts.
In our 1st round, we were very focused on the officiating, in our 1st 2 games vs the Coyotes we had to kill around 3 min 30 sec 5 on 3. The Coyotes none. Home games.
More facts. Through 1st 3 games vs the Sharks last year the penalties were 22 to 12 vs the Wings.
More facts. In the SC finals vs Pens, the Pens had 6 men on for about 25 sec, no call of course.
In the series vs the Ducks in 2007, there was a call on Datsyuk where everybody saw it was actually a foul on Datsyuk.

So we, some (many) Wings fans, complain about the officiating because we think Bettman does not want us to advance, because of his agenda of parity and making money.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:33 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I read what you were responding to but it's obvious at this point that rather than just say the Sharks deserve credit and not the refs you tried to be clever and insinuate that a Wings fan was discrediting and being disrespectful towards your team when clearly he was only criticizing the officiating and the two can be exclusive.
They were by inferring that the game was decided by the officiating. It's not that hard and the two can be exclusive but in this particular instance, it is not. One who had read the post, and the conversation in total, would realize this. However, you continue to think that you understand the whole context of it all and you completely fail to do so in reality.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Look
1. We the Wings fans might think/see that the Bertuzzi hit on Pavalsi was not a penalty, but the Sharks fans might think it was a penalty. It was called a penalty.
2. Again, we the Wings fans might think that the hit on Abdelkader by Clowe was a penalty, the Sharks might think it was not a penalty. It was not called a penalty.
So what the fans think might be/is subjective, but the fact is that those 2 questionable calls went against the Wings
So, we can again say the refs are human they can make mistakes.
But let see some more facts.
The calls in game 1 were 6 to 2 against the Wings. So let say again this can happen if a team is outplayed badly.
But more facts.
In our 1st round, we were very focused on the officiating, in our 1st 2 games vs the Coyotes we had to kill around 3 min 30 sec 5 on 3. The Coyotes none. Home games.
More facts. Through 1st 3 games vs the Sharks last year the penalties were 22 to 12 vs the Wings.
More facts. In the SC finals vs Pens, the Pens had 6 men on for about 25 sec, no call of course.
In the series vs the Ducks in 2007, there was a call on Datsyuk where everybody saw it was actually a foul on Datsyuk.

So we, some (many) Wings fans, complain about the officiating because we think Bettman does not want us to advance, because of his agenda of parity and making money.
Wow. That is an amazing conclusion that you come to with those facts.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:38 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Or you could follow the beliefs of your coach and realize that the players have to stop putting themselves in a position to take penalties. Instead of yelling conspiracy, wouldn't the more logical approach be that the Wings are just simply taking too many penalties?
This is why I dislike the belief of some fans saying that Pavelski and Marleau are divers. They seem to be yelling embellishment on every call against the Red Wings when the fact of the matter is the Sharks aren't the only ones that have a PP advantage. I didn't watch the first round series that much, but I heard that Phoenix had a lot of power play opportunities as well. Again, wouldn't the more logical approach be that the Red Wings are taking too many penalties instead of the belief that every team other than the Red Wings are filled with divers?
I don't mean to generalize either. There are a lot of more level-headed Red Wings fans not on the main board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post

But that penalty was as clear as day.

Closed Thread