HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Which Sharks playoff performance has surprised you the most so far?

View Poll Results: Which Sharks playoff performance has surprised you the most so far?
Patrick Marleau 2 1.60%
Joe Thornton 5 4.00%
Dany Heatley 4 3.20%
Ryane Clowe 1 0.80%
Joe Pavelski 2 1.60%
Logan Couture 1 0.80%
Devin Setoguchi 4 3.20%
Dan Boyle 4 3.20%
Marc-Edouard Vlasic 8 6.40%
Kyle Wellwood 12 9.60%
Jason Demers 16 12.80%
Niclas Wallin 18 14.40%
Antti Niemi 4 3.20%
Ian White 41 32.80%
Other (please specify) 3 2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-30-2011, 04:04 AM
Squeeven

vCash: 500
Which Sharks playoff performance has surprised you the most so far?

I just wanted to know which Shark you guys think has surprised you the most so far, in a good or bad way.

I definitely have to say that Niclas Wallin's performance has really surprised me so far in a very good way. I think he's been playing great. He's got a few points, he's made some really good defensive plays, he stopped that 2 on 1 last night against Detroit which was key, bled for the team and got us a 4 minute power play, and has just been good overall.

Kyle Wellwood and Jason Demers have also surprised me in a good way too. I am really seeing how well Welly can dangle (but has yet to finish) and Demers has a wicked wrister and is being very physical. Ian White has also been quite good on the power play with some nice point shots.

Last edited by Squeeven: 05-01-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

White should run away with this. I thought he'd be a decent #5 and help out a little with the PP, but he's been arguably our best defenseman thusfar.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:13 AM
couturefan39

I voted for Demers though. What i REALLY love about Demers' this season is that he's improved his skating, he's physical, he's more poised with the puck, and he makes better decisions.

couturefan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:39 AM
hockeyball

Demers is a freaking beast out there. He's not only playing great defense, he's throwing huge checks and agitating the hell out of the other team. I didn't expect that.

Other candidates would be Wellwood (but I totally called that, so not a surprise). Ian White, but honestly again I expected that guy to be a warrior, but maybe not put up so many points.

Loving this team right now, everyone is playing hard and producing.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 50
I picked White, Wellwood is a close 2nd.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:49 AM
TurkeySandwich

Good way - Demers.

Bad way - Boyle. I love the guy but he is clearly burnt out and unable to be the player he is capable of.

TurkeySandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:28 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Demers followed closely by White

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Vswan

I'm surprised at mitchell's performance. He has been all over the place during the playoffs

Vswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:26 AM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
White should run away with this. I thought he'd be a decent #5 and help out a little with the PP, but he's been arguably our best defenseman thusfar.
Living in the East and having seen White play well in Toronto, I'm not that surprised. He was always good when I watched him.

I'm much more shocked at quickly Demers has transformed into a bonafide top 4 defenseman.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:31 AM
SharksAddict

Good:
Ian White has been stellar, clearly been our best d-man in the playoffs. I was not too impressed with him in the regular season but he has really stepped it up. Constantly jumping into the play, breaking out of the zone, and one of the few d-men that seems to get pucks through to the net.

Bad:
Niemi. I was expecting a big performance out of him but maybe he'll bounce back against Detroit this series. Certainly got off to a good start last night.

Boyle. He admitted himself he was pretty awful in the first round. Thinking and hesitating way too much out there. Needs to shoot the damn puck on the PP. Boyle needs to be Boyle if the Sharks are going to go far in these playoffs.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:37 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
Bad:

Boyle. He admitted himself he was pretty awful in the first round. Thinking and hesitating way too much out there. Needs to shoot the damn puck on the PP. Boyle needs to be Boyle if the Sharks are going to go far in these playoffs.
Anyone else thinking Danny Boy is nursing a hand/wrist/arm injury?

During the last regular season game against Phoenix, at one point he came off the ice skating slowly behind the play holding his arm in a "Oh-****-that-doesn't-look-good" kind of way.

He's had little velocity on his shot, his passes have been off, and has been pretty ineffective out there during the playoffs - and despite that, TMac let him out there for a 1:55 shift on one of the 2nd period powerplays, while Pavelski and White alternated at the other point.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Heatley. He has stepped it up big time. White/Wellwood/Demers are definitely surprises as well (maybe not Wellwood) but I think Heatley deserves a little more love. His dangles are actually working this time around.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Living in the East and having seen White play well in Toronto, I'm not that surprised. He was always good when I watched him.

I'm much more shocked at quickly Demers has transformed into a bonafide top 4 defenseman.

I watched him as well and don't get me wrong, I loved the addition when it was made, but I didn't expect him to be THIS good. His defensive play alone has been spectacular (something I did not expect), and then of course there's his offensive skills.

You're absolutely right about Demers though, it's been amazing to watch his game evolve in such a short amount of time.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:20 PM
gonegonegone*

wallin played a solid game. a few brain farts but some good plays too, esp on that 3 on 1. thus the endy wallin-hate-mobile will take a day off until tomorrow when he will precede to **** the bed.

anyone who is surprised by the studwood-mitchell-pavs line hasn't realized that they have been our best line for a while now.

marleau being our worst main player was surprising. or not i guess.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Kitten Mittons

White
Demers
Wellwood
Heatley

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
after those guerin, moen, wallin debacles, it's good to see some mid-season acquistions work positively for once. i would mention campbell but he at least tore it up during the regular season.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:42 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Demers. If he can continue to play physical like this and maybe get stronger over the summer, then he is as close to a Blake replacement (as a partner for Vlasic) as we're gonna get.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:47 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Ian has convinced me that DW should sign him.

05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Ian has convinced me that DW should sign him.
After his first game with SJ, in which he was amazing, he didn't really impress me... until these playoffs.

Sharks 1-0 !

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Kitten Mittons

Yep, same here. He really stepped it up in the playoffs!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:04 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
After today's game, Wallin.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
I'm a Leaf fan who usually cheer for the Sharks come playoff time but this year there is even more incentive to cheer for them.

I'm really happy Ian White has been a difference maker, I really hated it when we had to trade him, he's one of those players that gives a damn even if he doesn't make the game changing plays regularly.

Hope the Sharks sign him and hope they win the Cup with Wellwood/White too.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Squeeven

The second goal by Wallin just adds to my point as to why I think he's surprised me in a very good way so far in the playoffs. He's taking some good shots from the point and made some good defensive plays too. Marleau had a few nice chances today, and is soon to beat Howard. Clowe isn't surprising me though, he's playing his usual clutch playoff hockey.

On a side note I gotta say I'm really liking how Pavelski is surprising me in the way that he's really getting under Howard's skin and bugging the hell out of him and the Wings. I hope he keeps bugging him so hey take more dumb penalties because someone like Bertuzzi or Holmstrom will do something stupid. I mean I think Holmstrom will actually do something around his own net next time around.

All around I really like the way everyone's playing, I have nothing bad to say about anyone.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:33 PM
polmaniac932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
The second goal by Wallin just adds to my point as to why I think he's surprised me in a very good way so far in the playoffs. He's taking some good shots from the point and made some good defensive plays too. Marleau had a few nice chances today, and is soon to beat Howard. Clowe isn't surprising me though, he's playing his usual clutch playoff hockey.

On a side note I gotta say I'm really liking how Pavelski is surprising me in the way that he's really getting under Howard's skin and bugging the hell out of him and the Wings. I hope he keeps bugging him so hey take more dumb penalties because someone like Bertuzzi or Holmstrom will do something stupid. I mean I think Holmstrom will actually do something around his own net next time around.

All around I really like the way everyone's playing, I have nothing bad to say about anyone.
This was easily Wally's best game of the postseason, perhaps of the year.

The way this team played today (with the exception of maybe Eager) was the best all-around effort we've had from the entire team all season long.

polmaniac932 is offline   Reply With Quote