HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Sharks playoff performance has surprised you the most so far?

View Poll Results: Which Sharks playoff performance has surprised you the most so far?
Patrick Marleau 2 1.60%
Joe Thornton 5 4.00%
Dany Heatley 4 3.20%
Ryane Clowe 1 0.80%
Joe Pavelski 2 1.60%
Logan Couture 1 0.80%
Devin Setoguchi 4 3.20%
Dan Boyle 4 3.20%
Marc-Edouard Vlasic 8 6.40%
Kyle Wellwood 12 9.60%
Jason Demers 16 12.80%
Niclas Wallin 18 14.40%
Antti Niemi 4 3.20%
Ian White 41 32.80%
Other (please specify) 3 2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
  #26
Squeeven
Registered User
 
Squeeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
Good:
Ian White has been stellar, clearly been our best d-man in the playoffs. I was not too impressed with him in the regular season but he has really stepped it up. Constantly jumping into the play, breaking out of the zone, and one of the few d-men that seems to get pucks through to the net.

Bad:
Niemi. I was expecting a big performance out of him but maybe he'll bounce back against Detroit this series. Certainly got off to a good start last night.

Boyle. He admitted himself he was pretty awful in the first round. Thinking and hesitating way too much out there. Needs to shoot the damn puck on the PP. Boyle needs to be Boyle if the Sharks are going to go far in these playoffs.
You were definitely right about Nemo bouncing back, because he was HUGE today and kept us in it big time. If he continues to play that way, the Sharks can go all the way. I feel very safe right now about our goal tending situation right now because Niitty has already shown that he can definitely back us up if Nemo happens to falter, so my props to both of them.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
  #27
Fortheloveofthegame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Have to say, Ian White is playing great out there! Looks confident, composed. Gets most shots through traffic, to the net.
Nice goal today

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:28 AM
  #28
Obsessed Sharks Fan
Registered User
 
Obsessed Sharks Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Mateo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Obsessed Sharks Fan
Demers, Jumbo, Pickles, Hamburgers.

And pretty much everyone else has played up to expectations. Gotta love it. DW looks like a friggin genius right now.

Obsessed Sharks Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:53 AM
  #29
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed Sharks Fan View Post
Demers, Jumbo, Pickles, Hamburgers.

And pretty much everyone else has played up to expectations. Gotta love it. DW looks like a friggin genius right now.
i loved thorntons reply to darren pang, when he asked him what he has changed in his game recently to make him do better. thornton just looked down at pang (since there is like a 12 foot difference between the two), and said nothing with a grin on his face.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:05 AM
  #30
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,368
vCash: 500
Ian White was always a good defenseman, but he has been flat-out incredible in the playoffs. Honestly, his presence on the ice has changed the game in a way that you only expect from the very best defensemen in the league. There is absolutely no way the Sharks will let him leave as a free agent after the way he has played in the playoffs.

As for Wallin, I guess we now know why DW traded for him. The playoff Wallin and the regular season Wallin are completely different players. Since Game 3 against LA, Wallin has been strong in every area. I am no longer terrified whenever he steps foot on the ice. The play he made to shut down a Detroit 2-on-1 late in Game 1 was fantastic. Wallin is just one of those random guys who becomes a completely different player in the playoffs. During the regular season, he was absolutely horrific. After that last Vancouver game, I called him one of the worst regular defensemen in NHL history. I should have trusted that the "Secret Weapon" would come out of the closet when the playoffs rolled around.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:08 AM
  #31
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,190
vCash: 50
Hoping Wellwood and White love San Jose and their fans and agree take discounts!

They have both deserved a second look for next year.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:08 AM
  #32
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Ian White was always a good defenseman, but he has been flat-out incredible in the playoffs. Honestly, his presence on the ice has changed the game in a way that you only expect from the very best defensemen in the league. There is absolutely no way the Sharks will let him leave as a free agent after the way he has played in the playoffs.

As for Wallin, I guess we now know why DW traded for him. The playoff Wallin and the regular season Wallin are completely different players. Since Game 3 against LA, Wallin has been strong in every area. I am no longer terrified whenever he steps foot on the ice. The play he made to shut down a Detroit 2-on-1 late in Game 1 was fantastic. Wallin is just one of those random guys who becomes a completely different player in the playoffs.
Are you saying Wallin is the Danny Briere of defensemen?

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:11 AM
  #33
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 9,050
vCash: 500
I'm surprised the Sharks are up 2-0 on the Red Wings with 4 goals scored, total, by the following players: Joe Pavelski, Benn Ferriero, Ian White and Niclas Wallin.

Does that count for anything in terms of being surprised??

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:12 AM
  #34
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,190
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I'm surprised the Sharks are up 2-0 on the Red Wings with 4 goals scored, total, by the following players: Joe Pavelski, Benn Ferriero, Ian White and Niclas Wallin.

Does that count for anything in terms of being surprised??
I'm honestly surprised the top 2 lines haven't scored. Especially Couture's line, they have been all over the Wings.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:21 AM
  #35
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I'm honestly surprised the top 2 lines haven't scored. Especially Couture's line, they have been all over the Wings.

That's what makes it easier to stomach (that and the wins of course ). The top 9 have all been bringing pressure shift after shift, it's unlike anything I've ever seen from the Sharks in the playoffs.


Last edited by Tkachuk4MVP: 05-02-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:22 AM
  #36
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I'm honestly surprised the top 2 lines haven't scored. Especially Couture's line, they have been all over the Wings.
that line was responsible for the game winner, and also both clowe and heater were on the ice for the first goal w/ the assist. its the single line that is killing the red wings offensively. jt is more or less playing dats/zets to a draw, which is huge.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:24 AM
  #37
irregardless
Registered Dummy
 
irregardless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I'm honestly surprised the top 2 lines haven't scored. Especially Couture's line, they have been all over the Wings.
Ferriero scored his OT goal while playing with Clowe/Couture. White/Wallin were also both paired with the second line when they got their goals.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:25 AM
  #38
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,190
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
that line was responsible for the game winner, and also both clowe and heater were on the ice for the first goal w/ the assist. its the single line that is killing the red wings offensively. jt is more or less playing dats/zets to a draw, which is huge.
Ya, I guess I'm just surprised Couture's line hasn't lit them up. Howard has kept them in this series.

Funny how well howard and Niemi are playing when everyone in the main boards was convinced this would just be 2 teams racking up goals against each other.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:39 AM
  #39
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I'm honestly surprised the top 2 lines haven't scored. Especially Couture's line, they have been all over the Wings.
The Sharks' top line is playing a different role in this series. They are expected to match up with Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, and Nicklas Lidstrom, and essentially cancel them out. The Sharks have one of very few top lines in the NHL that has the ability to do that. The matchup has been effectively even through the first two games, which is exactly what the Sharks want. Marleau-Thornton and Zetterberg-Datsyuk completely cancel each other out, which leaves the scoring up to the two teams' other lines. Needless to say, the Sharks' second and third lines are far superior to their Detroit counterparts. There is nothing Detroit can do when Couture or Pavelski's line is out on the ice because they don't have anyone to match up with them.

Couture's line has been fantastic. The Sharks' top 3 lines have all been fantastic against Detroit. Jimmy Howard is the reason why they aren't racking up points.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:51 AM
  #40
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
The Sharks' top line is playing a different role in this series. They are expected to match up with Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, and Nicklas Lidstrom, and essentially cancel them out. The Sharks have one of very few top lines in the NHL that has the ability to do that. The matchup has been effectively even through the first two games, which is exactly what the Sharks want. Marleau-Thornton and Zetterberg-Datsyuk completely cancel each other out, which leaves the scoring up to the two teams' other lines. Needless to say, the Sharks' second and third lines are far superior to their Detroit counterparts. There is nothing Detroit can do when Couture or Pavelski's line is out on the ice because they don't have anyone to match up with them.

Couture's line has been fantastic. The Sharks' top 3 lines have all been fantastic against Detroit. Jimmy Howard is the reason why they aren't racking up points.
yup this. i got into a flaming war and into trouble by arguing with red wing fans who were so convinced their depth would kill ours before this series started. how anyone outside detroit would think so is beyond me, abbey blows as a center, helm is fast but not much else, half their team is slow as crap, franzen is hurt, modano doesn't even play, etc, yet they actually thought their 2nd and 3rd line were going to kill us. oh yeah and they were harping on the 4th line thing, as if that even matters.

tmac knows detroit like the back of his hand. he knows our top line can play theirs to a relative draw. i will take that any day, because then our next 2 lines will just wreck havoc on the poor red wings that are matched up with us. their depth is awful right now and their lines don't even make sense.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:03 AM
  #41
steveckl
Registered User
 
steveckl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Close call between different players, but I'll go with Heatley here.

He's really stepped it up several notches and is playing/skating in all 3 zones like I've never seen him before.

I love White's performance so far, but can't say I'm surprised by his success.

steveckl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:23 AM
  #42
rangerssharks414
Registered User
 
rangerssharks414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,524
vCash: 500
Demers has really improved this season, and he's stepping it up even further in the playoffs. I'm also surprised that White is playing so well, but I think Demers is a bigger surprise.

I want White re-signed now if he wants a reasonable contract.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:31 AM
  #43
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,190
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Demers has really improved this season, and he's stepping it up even further in the playoffs. I'm also surprised that White is playing so well, but I think Demers is a bigger surprise.

I want White re-signed now if he wants a reasonable contract.
Ya, all depends on if White likes the team and the fans. (how could you not?)

I think Wellwood has the largest chance to resign (if DW wanted to resign him) because he has been through 2 extremely hockey mad fanbases and each of them he was heavily criticized on his weight and for being lazy. I would think that San Jose would be a breath of fresh air for him as he hasn't gotten negative publicity and he can live a normal life.

Not sure White's opinion on where he would prefer to play though, so that's up for grabs. Maybe he likes big city Canadian markets.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:34 AM
  #44
rangerssharks414
Registered User
 
rangerssharks414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Not sure White's opinion on where he would prefer to play though, so that's up for grabs. Maybe he likes big city Canadian markets.
He's been on four different teams in the last 14 months or so. I'm hoping that he's sick of moving around that he'll stay with the Sharks (and take a discount as well).

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:46 AM
  #45
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
yup this. i got into a flaming war and into trouble by arguing with red wing fans who were so convinced their depth would kill ours before this series started. how anyone outside detroit would think so is beyond me, abbey blows as a center, helm is fast but not much else, half their team is slow as crap, franzen is hurt, modano doesn't even play, etc, yet they actually thought their 2nd and 3rd line were going to kill us. oh yeah and they were harping on the 4th line thing, as if that even matters.

tmac knows detroit like the back of his hand. he knows our top line can play theirs to a relative draw. i will take that any day, because then our next 2 lines will just wreck havoc on the poor red wings that are matched up with us. their depth is awful right now and their lines don't even make sense.
zetterberg HAS to be hurt right? otherwise he'd be centering and carrying their second line and things would be a lot different. the sharks are deep down the middle so you would think the wings would counter by splitting dats and zets instead of loading them on one line.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:53 AM
  #46
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
zetterberg HAS to be hurt right? otherwise he'd be centering and carrying their second line and things would be a lot different. the sharks are deep down the middle so you would think the wings would counter by splitting dats and zets instead of loading them on one line.
yup, that is the only reason zets and dats are on the same line. 2 years ago when it was dats that was injured and came back they lined them up together also.

once they are both healthy enough to anchor there own line they are split up.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:47 AM
  #47
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
He's been on four different teams in the last 14 months or so. I'm hoping that he's sick of moving around that he'll stay with the Sharks (and take a discount as well).
More importantly he's been on 3 crappy teams (2 of which tried to turn him into something he isn't) and then a cup contender who asked him to play the game he wants to play and thus has been very successful.

He could run for the money, but it's not going to be a lot of money, and I suspect if the Shark's want him back that he'll be more than happy to stay put.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
  #48
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer
 
Spacemania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Signpost Forest, YT
Country: United Nations
Posts: 28,309
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
I voted Boyle, but for the negative view. He's gotta be playing hurt with some of the stunts he's been pulling lately

__________________

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
  #49
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
yup, that is the only reason zets and dats are on the same line. 2 years ago when it was dats that was injured and came back they lined them up together also.

once they are both healthy enough to anchor there own line they are split up.
The reason Babcock has them together is because he feels it gives the Wings the best chance to match up evenly with the Thornton line. If he separates them, whatever he gains in the second line is offset by the loss on the first line. Either way, Detroit does not have the depth to match up with the Sharks. It's that simple. People laughed when I said that prior to the playoffs, and laughed harder when they whooped Phoenix. What they did against the Coyotes is irrelevant. Take a look at Detroit's roster and tell me which forwards are high-end scoring threats. Other than the two big boys. The Phoenix series was a dog-and-pony show.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:47 PM
  #50
jwhitesj
Registered User
 
jwhitesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
I voted Marleau, but not suprised in a good way. I expect more from him.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.