HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF|Game 2|Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning|05.01.11|7pm

Old
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I have never understood how goalies need a day off to rest on the back to backs, yet no other player on the ice does. Not a single one. So I call bunk. I have thought it is just more a commonly used time league wide to get a backup some work.

I am thinking Bruce is talking to Varly because he flat out needs a shakeup. And its in Bruce's nature by now, its what he does. he turns to Varly when the playoffs get tough. The 3 G's are all kids and none are undisputed number 1's. Heck Holtby is supposedly the best now. I have wanted changes in net when warranted. A flat team warrants one.

Changing goalies can backfire or it can be better than any line BB shuffle you have ever seen. I think we are going to see it next game. If he wins game 3, we see him in game 4.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:58 PM
kmart

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kmart
before it all ends i would love to see the runNgun offense, if we are down 0-3 you can definitive say the system did not work and let them play their strength, actually in that way i think bruce could develop into a nice coach if he tweak a thing or two but i said this 1000 times in the regular season...this new system makes bruce a worser coach than he is, by the way... if u change a system that dramatically you may consider to start with a new HC anyway...

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I will say, the one thing that's bothering me more than anything else, is this right now isn't playoff hockey.

Heck, with 8 or 9 PPs a side, this play isn't even regular season hockey.

Let them play. it's not entertaining seeing our team, or anyone else get 7 or 8 PPs.

I want to see them skate 5v5 for a while, and not have to go into a gimmick parade.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I will say, the one thing that's bothering me more than anything else, is this right now isn't playoff hockey.

Let them play. it's not entertaining seeing our team, or anyone else get 7 or 8 PPs.

I want to see them skate 5v5 for a while, and not have to go into a gimmick parade.
Agree, the refereeing is just plain killing the game.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Good stuff Chimaera

Somehow, in the old days of playoff hockey, there were no ticky tack penalty's called in the playoffs, ever. Save when Mario would biotch and moan. The game was better, flat out more entertaining, the players giving it their ALL, without worry of some cheese ball Knuble game 7 washout on a phantom call because of a dive and knee jerk emotional over reaction by the ref. They should have called Halak for diving. The refs let the players decide the game. And at the end of each series, no players or fans every complained. Besides Pepe. The series were settled by the players alone. Now, sometimes you get the ref that buries the whistle, other times its a parade to the box. The players have no idea what to expect. I still hate the two ref system. That back ref calling crap from behind the play rarely makes the correct call. And I think the two ref system makes it twice as likely some lame duck call gets made. They pressure each other and are never in perfect unison. Unless they bury both the whistles. And they are always in the way of the cycle.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-02-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Integral

In addition, switching out Neuvy isn't necessarily a reflection on his individual performance. Bruce is simply trying to shake things up. It's the same deal when he switches up line combinations, it's there to (hopefully) create a spark.

I feel like Varly's more athletic style may be better suited against Tampa as well. I guess we'll find out.

Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:21 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

This team has always played harder with Varly in net. That has more to do with any possible change - not goalie performance.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:23 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
This team has always played harder with Varly in net. That has more to do with any possible change - not goalie performance.
Uh, not this year. The team's played like dog ass in front of him, which is why Neuvy has a stellar win loss and mediocre numbers and Varly has great numbers and pretty poor win loss.

05-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
^^^
it's not just one or two players, it's really the entire team. When an entire team has a down year, who is to blame?
To me they have a number of guys playing at a high level, they've made some big stylistic adjustments that I think take the air out of a couple significant players' games though. They also haven't had Green totally healthy and even at 100% he was a minus player in the playoffs that produced mixed results. I don't mean to single him out, Semin was also just an OK playoff performer.

Between mixed form in the past, some struggles this year and inexperience in key positions, there were plenty of question marks here facing a team that was all of two wins worse in the regular season. I had it pegged as the most even series going in, especially in a spot-for-spot sense (PHI-BOS is even but has some mismatches) and I thought Tampa is the team that played better in its first-round series overall.

The Caps won more easily but they were playing against a team that was only sharp in one or two areas. Tampa turned it on against an extremely well-coached team and wound up blowing them away in the last three games.

05-02-2011, 01:25 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I think they have played harder for whoever is "newer"

I think this season, they played the hardest for Holtby.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Jesus....regulars ready to throw in the towel already.....friggen sad as a Caps fan to see our fans waiving the white flag.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post

I would rather they call the penalties instead of going back to how things used to be. 6 years ago, a guy could get mugged at gunpoint on the ice and they wouldn't call a penalty.

No thanks.....

Old
05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Jesus....regulars ready to throw in the towel already.....friggen sad as a Caps fan to see our fans waiving the white flag.
Well...its either wave the flag and be fine with a few changes in the off season. Or don't waive the flag...see the team throw it away...and go ape **** for Bruce to be fired and half the team to be traded away.

I suppose there is always the come from behind victory...but through two games...Im not seeing that happening against this team.

We'll see. But I've accepted a 2nd round defeat at this point. We'll see.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
kes81sel
Go MacT

vCash: 216
Don't worry i got a feeling its going to seven games and the caps will be victorious

kes81sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
blokeyhighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Uh, not this year. The team's played like dog ass in front of him, which is why Neuvy has a stellar win loss and mediocre numbers and Varly has great numbers and pretty poor win loss.
To be fair, the bulk of Varlamov's starts have come in December and January - so we're talking about a time frame that included the heart of this team's troubles (where it didn't matter what goalie played) and the beginnings of the implementation of the new system.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...emyon-varlamov

Old
05-02-2011, 02:05 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Nobody is "surrendering" by stating that the Caps' are clearly outclassed where it matters most and almost sure to lose this series.

This team looks worse than it did against Montreal with the clownish lack of discipline.

They are desperate for a Coach with structure and a backbone.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:05 PM
WcRoenick97

All it takes is a win tomorrow night and everyone will be believing this team is going to pull the comeback off. Remember the Pens went down 0-2 against us on their way to the Cup, granted they were on the road, but still it can happen.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
blokeyhighlander

Here's this board's timeline from Vinny's OT goal to now.

At first I was like,

and then I was like,

Old
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I have never understood how goalies need a day off to rest on the back to backs, yet no other player on the ice does..
think about that for a minute. whats the difference between a skater's game and the goalie? maybe that the goalie plays the whole game and a skaters plays a lot if he plays 20 minutes of the game.

the stress on the legs and hips of a modern day butterfly goalie is intense. why do you think it is that all three of the caps young goalies broke down at least once this season? a full game is a heavy work load. two in a row is really heavy. three in four nights is huge.

the best case scenario for the caps in game 3 is to win the game in late in double overtime and force old man roloson to came back and play the next night.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
I would rather they call the penalties instead of going back to how things used to be. 6 years ago, a guy could get mugged at gunpoint on the ice and they wouldn't call a penalty.

No thanks.....
Different folks. At least it was even for both teams. Mo getting slammed into Huet, then Knuble barely if not at all touching Halak, backed into by Hal Gill in the first place. The calls I have seen in our playoffs the past few years have me wanting to see every player giving it their all and the refs standing down and calling obvious penalties that prevented quality scoring chances.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Nobody is "surrendering" by stating that the Caps' are clearly outclassed where it matters most and almost sure to lose this series.

This team looks worse than it did against Montreal with the clownish lack of discipline.

They are desperate for a Coach with structure and a backbone.
This team could just as easily win 4 straight. They BARELY lost games 1 and 2.

They may well lose the series...hell they may get swept, but I'm holding onto hope that they can put in a better effort.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
think about that for a minute. whats the difference between a skater's game and the goalie? maybe that the goalie plays the whole game and a skaters plays a lot if he plays 20 minutes of the game.

the stress on the legs and hips of a modern day butterfly goalie is intense. why do you think it is that all three of the caps young goalies broke down at least once this season? a full game is a heavy work load. two in a row is really heavy. three in four nights is huge.

the best case scenario for the caps in game 3 is to win the game in late in double overtime and force old man roloson to came back and play the next night.
Good point. Yeah Ovi or Green play half as much, but work a lot more and take a lot more physical abuse. I think its more mental perhaps, G's are under a TON of pressure.

But then why in the world would a coach use a guy back to back in the playoffs, along the lines of the commonly accepted never make a goalie change from your number 1 line of thinking. I can remember plenty a playoff series with B2B's back in the day. The goalie never ever appeared worn out or tired. Neither team changed G's. it was a non issue.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-02-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
This team could just as easily win 4 straight. They BARELY lost games 1 and 2.

They may well lose the series...hell they may get swept, but I'm holding onto hope that they can put in a better effort.
With a different coach. They barely lost but lost due to their own idiocy. That fact alone make it hard to believe they can play with the kind of consistency it takes to pull the series out.

There's a very, very small chance it happens and even if it does my Cup hopes are completely ****ing shot.

The team looks lost and Backstrom is MIA. See you in September.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Before the series, I would have had the Caps odds at 75 percent. Now I'd put them around 35. Very winnable, they're still the better team, but they need to cut out the ****.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
txpd

after all is said and done i see two passing backing in off caps defensemen as the defacto difference in this series. two goals. two very nice bounces for tampa bay.
i am sure there are many players that screwed up plays that didnt go in the net or kept the caps from scoring goals.

but the fact remains that downie was below the goal line throwing out a centering pass that was blocked by hannan. st louis was trying a back door pass to lecavalier that was blocked by green. now....maybe both of those were a result of coaching errors or poor effort on the part of hannan and green. i think its more about good fortune for tb.

those things tend to even out.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote