HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF|Game 2|Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning|05.01.11|7pm

Old
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Good point. Yeah they play half as much as Ovi or Green, but work a lot less and take a lot less physical abuse. I think its more mental perhaps, they are under a TON of pressure.

But then why in the world would a coach use a guy back to back in the playoffs, along the lines of the commonly accepted never make a goalie change from your number 1 line of thinking. I can remember plenty a playoff series with B2B's back in the day. The goalie never ever appeared worn out or tired. Neither team changed G's. it was a non issue.
the back to back in the playoffs is very rare. the backup goalie that is better than a tire starting goalie is also rare. the caps goalies are seen to be almost interchangable. but would you really put smith in for roloson if roloson can stand up?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
tycoonheart

We have officially started to sound like the Rangers fans from the series before. We're repeating what they were saying. Kinda ironic considering we laughed at them for it.

Ranger fans were saying:

- We've been in every game against the top seed. They're getting the lucky bounces, we're not. We will win soon.

- If Callahan were playing we'd win (some of you have started talking about Wideman I see)

- Rollie is not that great of a goalie, we're just missing on our chances

etc, etc.

Same thing they said.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
With a different coach. They barely lost but lost due to their own idiocy. That fact alone make it hard to believe they can play with the kind of consistency it takes to pull the series out.

There's a very, very small chance it happens and even if it does my Cup hopes are completely ****ing shot.

The team looks lost and Backstrom is MIA. See you in September.
I side with you in a lot of things.....but I think you're now stretching your dislike for Bruce.

Does Bruce make them stupid? This is on the players to respond right now. They're not getting blown out, they've barely lost 2 games and they did so largely because of mental errors.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
With a different coach. They barely lost but lost due to their own idiocy. That fact alone make it hard to believe they can play with the kind of consistency it takes to pull the series out.

There's a very, very small chance it happens and even if it does my Cup hopes are completely ****ing shot.

The team looks lost and Backstrom is MIA. See you in September.
weak. two seasons ago the caps won the first two games of the 2nd round and the team they beat won the stanley cup.

see you in september. does that mean no more posts for you til september?

Old
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I side with you in a lot of things.....but I think you're now stretching your dislike for Bruce.

Does Bruce make them stupid? This is on the players to respond right now. They're not getting blown out, they've barely lost 2 games.
I'm fine w/ putting my credibility on Boudreau never taking them to a Cup.

I want them to win a Cup.

I'll gladly trade face for that to happen. It's just not happening. He's not a leader of men.

They did not play smart hockey in either of those two games and several players looked listless.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
BTCG

Couple things:

The WP called Saturday's practice "sparsely attended" and today's as "light attendance."

You're got a PP that's on life-support, yet Saturday's and today's practices are hockey ghost towns?

Worse, they're optional????

I listen to Woods last night on the Cap's call-in station (1500am) and he said:

"I dunno... we're gonna have to go look at the films and see what happened."

I said to the wife: "he just admitted that they have no clue as to what's wrong."

The worst thing to me was watching AO revert to cherry-picking in the 3rd, and when Tampa quickly took the puck away from him, he did another thing that really annoys me: he was the last player to head back toward his own zone, skating like he had sore feet, effectively putting the Bolts one man-up. Most time, he didn't even make it back. He stopped short of entering our zone.

At some point, we have to look at the most glaring issue:

Putting aside the goofy comments by some here about how Stevie Y is over-rated as a GM, the fact is, he's turned around Tampa in ONE year.

How many years has McPhee had?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's pretty transparent to "put your credibility" on something that is extremely unlikely, no matter who the coach is.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Couple things:

The WP called Saturday's practice "sparsely attended" and today's as "light attendance."

You're got a PP that's on life-support, yet Saturday's and today's practices are hockey ghost towns?

Worse, they're optional????

I listen to Woods last night on the Cap's call-in station (1500am) and he said:

"I dunno... we're gonna have to go look at the films and see what happened."

I said to the wife: "he just admitted that they have no clue as to what's wrong."

The worst thing to me was watching AO revert to cherry-picking in the 3rd, and when Tampa quickly took the puck away from him, he did another thing that really annoys me: he was the last player to head back toward his own zone, skating like he had sore feet, effectively putting the Bolts one man-up. Most time, he didn't even make it back. He stopped short of entering our zone.

At some point, we have to look at the most glaring issue:

Putting aside the goofy comments by some here about how Stevie Y is over-rated as a GM, the fact is, he's turned around Tampa in ONE year.

How many years has McPhee had?
Has Tampa won anything yet? One series. Let's wait to coronate Yzerman until they do. Tampa has been one of the streakiest teams all season. Yeah they're up 2-0, but they haven't even won this series yet.

Ovechkin did the same thing often on Friday, the "I'm going to skate through three guys" trick that works about once every 100 times. He's been told, the players have been told, that's not the way to win. But they still do it. What else should BB do? Brand the instructions on their arms? I've said that time and time again. Many of these guys are pros that have been here a while now. They screw around, then in post-game interviews moan about how they "got away from the game plan". Who's at fault? Maybe Woods comments mean they have to see who screwed up and where.

As for the practices, that doesn't bother me. I mean would an extra couple of hours really make a difference? If they haven't gotten it straight by now then it's not going to happen.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:02 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
As for the practices, that doesn't bother me. I mean would an extra couple of hours really make a difference? If they haven't gotten it straight by now then it's not going to happen.
At this point there should be some re-enforcing going on. To many lapses going on to not pound it home a little harder.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Practice makes...boring!

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Has Tampa won anything yet? One series. Let's wait to coronate Yzerman until they do. Tampa has been one of the streakiest teams all season. Yeah they're up 2-0, but they haven't even won this series yet.

Ovechkin did the same thing often on Friday, the "I'm going to skate through three guys" trick that works about once every 100 times. He's been told, the players have been told, that's not the way to win. But they still do it. What else should BB do? Brand the instructions on their arms? I've said that time and time again. Many of these guys are pros that have been here a while now. They screw around, then in post-game interviews moan about how they "got away from the game plan". Who's at fault? Maybe Woods comments mean they have to see who screwed up and where.

I'll agree that Tampa hasn't won yet, but I see a huge difference in that team already. But we'll wait & see.

As to what can BB (and Woods) do, let's look at it this way:

Assuming they do as Wood's said, and view the films, and actually find a problem... how do you implement a "fix" when most of the team isn't at practice? What's the alternative: the coaches send out an e-mail to the team?

C'Mon... you've got PP issues, your practices are your only shot at fixing them.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
fsnoles98

Wow, we stink on the PP, but we tell the players "hey if you want to practice, that's cool if not, no biggy" Are we really not that concerned about the series or the PP. These are payed athletes and they don't need practice? Allen Iverson didn't need practice either, what did he win?

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:10 PM
txpd

just keep in mind that option practices does not mean that meetings and video sessions are also optional. their bodies are pretty beat up at this point and nobody is actually practicing between games, particularly not with a back to back coming.

that doesnt mean they are not preparing.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:15 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
just keep in mind that option practices does not mean that meetings and video sessions are also optional. their bodies are pretty beat up at this point and nobody is actually practicing between games, particularly not with a back to back coming.

that doesnt mean they are not preparing.
If most of the players are not physically there (and I believe the reporters), how do you have a meeting? Are they streaming these meetings?

C'Mon, if they do as Wood's said, and look at the films and find issues, practice is where you fix these things. And you cannot do this if most of the players are not there.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
tycoonheart

Man, if that is true, that the players weren't present at all, I really have to question how the coaches are handling this team. No meeting, nothing about our abysmal play?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The players are there, they just aren't all on the ice. They do video, they have meetings.

Practicing tweaks isn't really the issue. The PP is fundamentally broken and that's not something a cram session is likely to change significantly. This isn't really about counter-adjustments it's about fundamentals: making smarter dumps/entries, out-manning PKers, puck retrieval and attacking with something resembling urgency. Practicing now couldn't hurt but it's a little late to focus on the details.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The players are there, they just aren't all on the ice. They do video, they have meetings.

Practicing tweaks isn't really the issue. The PP is fundamentally broken and that's not something a cram session is likely to change significantly. This isn't really about counter-adjustments it's about fundamentals: making smarter dumps/entries, out-manning PKers, puck retrieval and attacking with something resembling urgency. Practicing now couldn't hurt but it's a little late to focus on the details.
I can't help but think that a few hundred coaches who have won championships in various sports around the world would see this statement and have a fit.

I hope to Christ this isn't how our coaching staff and players think.

If it's not ALWAYS about the details, then we have a fundamental problem with our coaching staff, team management, and players.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Slappy

Like Langway said, the players are all there. The "sparsely attended" comment by the WaPo refers to fans, not the players.

Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
BTCG

Quote:

Excuse me, but the WP says that the practices were "sparsely" and "lightly" attended.... they did not say "so and so attended but did not skate."

If you have links to demonstate that the WP is incorrect, please share them.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Lines I'd go with:

Semin-90-Laich
Fehr-Arnott-Ovi
Chimera-19-Knuble
Sturm-Gordon-Bradley

L1 blends skill, speed and some grit, while putting possibly the Caps' 3 best forwards on the ice. L2 has Arnott's responsibility, hopefully a net presence from Fehr, and Ovi. Speed, passing and size on L3.

At this point, why not? They can't score goals. Absolutely cannot put the puck in the back of the net.

Whatever the lines (I know they won't change much), I'd REALLY like to see 90 and Semin together. The Caps' best center and winger. Give them some size on the other side and I'd like that line a lot. I think it'd actually produce.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Like Langway said, the players are all there. The "sparsely attended" comment by the WaPo refers to fans, not the players.
Read the WP (today's piece):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider

There is light attendance at the Capitals’ optional skate Monday morning, prior to the team’s flight to Tampa Bay this afternoon.

Of the players on the ice, six appeared in the 3-2 overtime Game 2 loss Sunday night — Michal Neuvirth, Karl Alzner, Jason Chimera, Matt Bradley, Marco Sturm and John Erskine.

If you two have evidence that the WP is incorrect, show us.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

This board is damn near intolerable at times.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Light optional skate =/ practice.

Just check out the quotes and daily interviews. They're there...just not on the ice.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Light optional skate =/ practice.

Just check out the quotes and daily interviews. They're there...just not on the ice.
Here's what it says:

"Others taking part in the light workout are Semyon Varlamov, Matt Hendricks, Dennis Wideman (leg hematoma), Tom Poti (groin), Braden Holtby, Jay Beagle, D.J. King, Tyler Sloan, Sean Collins, Patrick McNeill and Steve Pinizzotto."

Looks like she knows (KC) who is there and who isn't.... unless you have other links to show us.

If not, to me, I have to apply the rule we have on the BBQ Brethren as to posts of claims without links or images:

No pic, no link: didn't happen.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:47 PM
BTCG

Back to the question of "what can BB do."

Okay, so Saturday's WP has Bruce talking about adjustments:

"We were talking about getting the puck to the net, crash the net, and simplify the game."

Okay. So this must be why we saw so many instances of "throwing the puck to the net" instead of using the pointe during the PP.

So why is AO on the pointe?

Worse, after 2 periods of failure using this approach, why not change things up in the 3rd period?