HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF|Game 2|Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning|05.01.11|7pm

Old
05-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

vCash: 500
Someone ask Katie on twitter if OV's there!

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:51 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Someone ask Katie on twitter if OV's there!
Again, read it: they're on their way to Tampa now. Skate was this morning.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, the Caps aren't even close to "clearly outclassed". In fact, the Caps have pretty much dominated even strength. The difference in the series has come down to execution on the PP.

I'll go a step further and say the difference in the series is Tampa's best two offensive players (Vinny and St. Louis) are executing, while the Caps' best two offensive players (Ovechkin and Backstrom) aren't.

Neuvirth's been solid if unspectacular, and Roloson hasn't been that good. The Caps just haven't been able to jump on the rebounds he's allowing.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, the Caps aren't even close to "clearly outclassed". In fact, the Caps have pretty much dominated even strength. The difference in the series has come down to execution on the PP.

I'll go a step further and say the difference in the series is Tampa's best two offensive players (Vinny and St. Louis) are executing, while the Caps' best two offensive players (Ovechkin and Backstrom) aren't.

Neuvirth's been solid if unspectacular, and Roloson hasn't been that good. The Caps just haven't been able to jump on the rebounds he's allowing.
1- When posters use that term, it generally means the team being "outclassed" is losing on the forecheck. That's how I took these posts. And the posters are correct.

2- Rolie was amazing last night, and has been a wall for Tampa in both games.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's 2-0 us if the PP is working....and it's not even close.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
"Others taking part in the light workout are Semyon Varlamov, Matt Hendricks, Dennis Wideman (leg hematoma), Tom Poti (groin), Braden Holtby, Jay Beagle, D.J. King, Tyler Sloan, Sean Collins, Patrick McNeill and Steve Pinizzotto."
Again, on-ice. All Carrera is taking note of are those skating.

- Quotes from Carlson & Knuble.
- Quotes from Laich.
- Video evidence (!!!) of Knuble, Laich & Schultz.
- Interviews.

Not everyone speaks to the media. Ovechkin didn't as Masisak noted on twitter.

Tampa Bay is winning the majority of board battles. This team's technique and effort in that regard is pretty spotty outside of the fourth line and they don't have much skill to do a whole lot.

Last edited by Langway: 05-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
1- When posters use that term, it generally means the team being "outclassed" is losing on the forecheck. That's how I took these posts. And the posters are correct.

1- Huh? No, it doesn't. Tampa is doing anything but winning on the forecheck. Have you even watched them this year? They've got a very passive forechecking system. They're clogging the neutral zone. That's not even where they're winning the series. They're winning the series on special teams.

2- No, he really wasn't. If the Caps could have gotten any traffic in front and gotten to the myriad of rebounds in front of the crease, they could have easily put up 4 or 5.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Well....Bruce has to find a way to do two things....beat the 1-3-1 and get the PP working. Those things are on the coach to fix.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Again, on-ice. All Carrera is taking note of are those skating.

- Quotes from Carlson & Knuble.
- Quotes from Laich.
- Video evidence (!!!) of Knuble, Laich & Schultz.
- Interviews.

Not everyone speaks to the media. Ovechkin didn't as Masisak noted on twitter.

Tampa Bay is winning the majority of board battles. This team's technique and effort in that regard is pretty spotty outside of the fourth line and they don't have much skill to do a whole lot.
L,

I read your links, and watched the video. Vogel starts out telling us the Caps are in there preparing to leave. He then says they had lots to say, and we see lots of reporters. One could say "of course they came in eventually, the team is going to travel, but why didn't they skate?"

As for Sat, the lady who attended the game with us told me that her friends saw AO at a bar in Baltimore Sat.

I have no proof, but she's a long-time Caps fan, and I believe her.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

.500 - Tampa Bay's home winning percentage (13-10-3) since January 12, including two losses in two games against the Caps and two losses in three games thus far in the playoffs.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:17 PM
BTCG

Quote:
1- Huh? No, it doesn't. Tampa is doing anything but winning on the forecheck. Have you even watched them this year? They've got a very passive forechecking system. They're clogging the neutral zone. That's not even where they're winning the series. They're winning the series on special teams.

2- No, he really wasn't. If the Caps could have gotten any traffic in front and gotten to the myriad of rebounds in front of the crease, they could have easily put up 4 or 5.
Of course, not to you. You're the guy that has Toronto firing the guy who almost made the playoffs.

As for Rolie, his clutch play in the 3rd & OT speaks for itself. Maybe you should go tell the Tampa board that. I'm sure they'd love a good laugh.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Of course, not to you. You're the guy that has Toronto firing the guy who almost made the playoffs.

As for Rolie, his clutch play in the 3rd & OT speaks for itself. Maybe you should go tell the Tampa board that. I'm sure they'd love a good laugh.
Ah yes, you don't have a valid response to my point, so you take a personal shot. Nicely done.

Difference of opinion on Roloson, I suppose. I just happen to think he's left a lot of junk in front of goal that the Caps haven't had the drive to get to. Lundqvist was better in round one and Halak was miles better in the second half of the Montreal series.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

I really feel like the league has found out how to stifflle our pp. That being aggressively pressuring the puck handler. Knowing 1) he'll fumble the puck or 2) make the wrong decision.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Vogel starts out telling us the Caps are in there preparing to leave. He then says they had lots to say, and we see lots of reporters. One could say "of course they came in eventually, the team is going to travel, but why didn't they skate?"
Again, the players are there but the skates are optional. Go back between Games 1 & 2 and you'll find similar supporting evidence.

Last edited by Langway: 05-02-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I really feel like the league has found out how to stifflle our pp. That being aggressively pressuring the puck handler. Knowing 1) he'll fumble the puck or 2) make the wrong decision.
Not hard to stifle it when no one on or off the puck is moving. Deliberately passing around the perimeter hoping something will open up isn't particularly hard to defend.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 05-02-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Not hard to stifle it when no one on or off the puck is moving. Deliberately passing around the perimeter hoping something will open up is particularly hard to defend.
I feel the problem is more to do with indecision. Whoever has the puck holds for 5-7 seconds allowing for the pker to pressure, eventually passes the puck(or turns it over) and the cycle begins again.

Quick tape-to-tape passes, so the pk can't react and of course putting the puck on net seem to be the remedy. Easier said than done I suppose.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I feel the problem is more to do with indecision. Whoever has the puck holds for 5-7 seconds allowing for the pker to pressure, eventually passes the puck(or turns it over) and the cycle begins again.

Quick tape-to-tape passes, so the pk can't react and of course putting the puck on net seem to be the remedy. Easier said than done I suppose.
We're probably both right. There are certainly a multitude of issues with the PP.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
txpd

* pressure the puck handler to force puck movement and mistakes. that is the capitals pk plan and it works as a rule. I would expect that it works against the capitals as well if done correctly.

* You don't really beat the 1-3-1. You just make sure that you don't let it beat you and then try and beat it in transition before its set up or on the power play. The 1-3-1 is a coverage that forces you to dump it in and also makes it very hard to get any speed thru the neutral zone away from the puck in order to create a forecheck on the dump in.

The Caps have had some success with that. Its all the turning they do in their own side of the red line and the reloads they do when its not there.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:48 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Well....Bruce has to find a way to do two things....beat the 1-3-1 and get the PP working. Those things are on the coach to fix.
You mean a PP laden with talent he couldn't get to work last year? Good luck. They don't listen to him. It's obvious what successful teams do: they skate, dump the puck, win battles, screen the goalie.

The **** isn't rocket science.

As for winning the Cup being "unlikely" with any coach. That's a mentality born out of year's of watching them lose. They have had the talent for quite some time to make lengthy runs at it and have routinely flamed out.

They wouldn't automatically win it with Laviolette, Trotz, Vigneault, Bylsma or Babcock, but they'd damn sure look better than they do now.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* pressure the puck handler to force puck movement and mistakes. that is the capitals pk plan and it works as a rule. I would expect that it works against the capitals as well if done correctly.

* You don't really beat the 1-3-1. You just make sure that you don't let it beat you and then try and beat it in transition before its set up or on the power play. The 1-3-1 is a coverage that forces you to dump it in and also makes it very hard to get any speed thru the neutral zone away from the puck in order to create a forecheck on the dump in.

The Caps have had some success with that. Its all the turning they do in their own side of the red line and the reloads they do when its not there.
To your first point, I thought our pk has been very tentattive in pressuring TB's pp.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:55 PM
txpd

laviolette's team last season was up and down like a roller coaster after he took over. they had a slow start his first 3 or 4 weeks, then got hot. they then limped down the stretch and barely made the playoffs. with all that talent.

then, with all that talent they lost the first three games in the second round to boston.

lavy is a real coach, not a clown or baffoon. yet....btw...do you think the flyers will win a cup with laviolette before he is fired out of their?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Duke33

Quote:

If by wall you mean, he was giving up rebounds in Game 1 like rubber balls, then yeah you'd be right. He was shaky and sloppy for most of that game. He made some good saves yes, but overall I'd say he was very lucky in Game 1, and better last night.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
ForzaItalia

Looks like if BB goes down, he's going down with his boy Varly!!!

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:11 PM
ForzaItalia

I don't know why guys. It's weird. I have a feeling we will come back and win this series and I'm far from a positive/company guy. If anything, I'm a cynic.

Just a hunch.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

442 with the next gdt please.