HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Realistic Goaltending Options

Old
05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
I think,if Vokoun signs with the Flyers this offseason, we have a HUGE chance of winning the cup. Vokoun, at times carried the Panthers single handedly to wins. Reminds me of what Lundquist does in NY. I think we give him a supporting cast, and we will be set for next season. We DONT need the super deep defense with a goalie like Vokoun. Trade someone like Carle, trust maybe a rookie or 2, and roll with Vokoun and we will be fine.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
he hasn't looked as good to start the playoffs and he's been known to disappear.
Tim Thomas has never disappeared in a playoff series. His team in front of him has gotten outplayed, but Tim Thomas' GAA and SV% in the playoffs are actually better than his career averages, and that's all you ask a goaltender to control.

You do recall that it was Tuukka in net last year, right?

BTW I do agree about these playoffs, I wish they'd use Tuukka 2 games in a 7 game series. This isn't a situation like the Flyers, where you need a guy to come in if the other goaltender is pulled, or you have to play matchups and hunches with 3 average goaltenders (or 2 average goaltenders and a raw one) but we have 2 goaltenders with #1 caliber talent, and Thomas *does* have a reputation for tiring out, so why not use Tuukka?

Regardless though, TT would still be a clear upgrade over what you've got, and you could get him for less over-35 years than you could sign Vokoun to a new contract for. Food for thought.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Tim Thomas has never disappeared in a playoff series. His team in front of him has gotten outplayed, but Tim Thomas' GAA and SV% in the playoffs are actually better than his career averages, and that's all you ask a goaltender to control.

You do recall that it was Tuukka in net last year, right?

BTW I do agree about these playoffs, I wish they'd use Tuukka. This isn't a situation like the Flyers, where you need a guy to come in if the other goaltender is pulled, but we have 2 goaltenders with #1 caliber talent, and Thomas *does* have a reputation for tiring out, so why not use Tuukka?
I think most would like to have Thomas, but for Flyer fans, if we are going to spend 5 million, might as well go get an available guy who costs no assets (Vokoun, Bryz). Thomas deal - come back when those guys are off the market and we will likely give you have the team

P.S. I doubt the Bruins will give the Flyers Thomas. Not after losing to the Flyers in the playoffs two years in a row!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
What in the world would we do with a second round pick?

Trade it for some reclamation project. Thought that was obvious

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:00 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

The only "realistic" option is round 2 of Emery.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
That has crossed my mind more than once.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It has all the goalie controversy the Flyers love.

Will he be healthy? Will he be able to play consistently? Will he tare the locker room apart?

He played well while he was with the Flyers, and he stepped up nicely after what he had went through with the Ducks. He will also be cheap, and gives Bobo the room to earn starts as well.

We all know we really aren't going after a true starter.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Jester

Depends how the rest of this series plays out... Lavi's quick reaction to yanking Bob to 3rd string was rather startling.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:16 AM
phlocky

I would not be opposed to trading for TT if we can't sign Vokoun or Bryz. TT would be option 3 for me but the key would be what do the Bruins want in return. The best we could offer would be some package involving one or 2 of Hartnell, Versteeg, Coburn and Carle plus prospects/draft picks, though it may have to be picks from the 2012 or 2013 draft seeing how we have given then away like candy to little kids.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:19 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Quote:

If we can't land one of Vokoun or Bryz and if a deal for TT couldn't be reached then I would certainly explore Emery as an option. Last year he was playing VERY well before he got injured.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:25 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Depends how the rest of this series plays out... Lavi's quick reaction to yanking Bob to 3rd string was rather startling.
We probably wont know what really happened until after the playoffs.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they did burn Bob out. Actually I fully expected him to be burned out at this point, when they played him so much.

I can also imagine seeing somewhat of a stagnation or regression next year.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:26 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I think we should see what Manon Rheaume is doing lately. Good ol controversy we havent seen in a long time.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:26 AM
PhillyCurt12

i'd entertain the idea of emery on a league minimum 1-year deal. not the best option, but it would allow for the flyers to retain a stacked set of skaters at f and d. personally i'd like to see maybe steeg and leino's rights traded for picks/prospects and role with 2 scoring lines, a checking/engery line, and a defensive/tough 4th line which should allow for the signing of one of the FA goalies.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think we should see what Manon Rheaume is doing lately. Good ol controversy we havent seen in a long time.
I was pretty disappointed that the Flyers weren't the first team to try a women goalie, I'm even more disappointed that they Flyers have yet to test that option.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I was pretty disappointed that the Flyers weren't the first team to try a women goalie, I'm even more disappointed that they Flyers have yet to test that option.
Homer probably looked into it this past summer. It was his main plan from the start, but due to legal actions he couldnt get it done. He did the 2nd best thing he could think of though. Sign Michael Leighton to a 2 year deal!

Old
05-02-2011, 10:45 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I'm pretty sure Eriksson is staying in Sweden for at least one more season. I believe, though I might be wrong, he signed a two year extension last season.
Yeah, his numbers are not very good in the Swedish Elite league which is disappointing. However, their scouts said he "has the ability to stand on his head and win games by himself". I hope he comes to the AHL next year, overperforms, backs up in 2 years and gets the job in a few years.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
phlocky

Quote:
We probably wont know what really happened until after the playoffs.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they did burn Bob out. Actually I fully expected him to be burned out at this point, when they played him so much.

I can also imagine seeing somewhat of a stagnation or regression next year.
JVR was burned out last year at this time and HE needed a rest in the playoffs to get him refocused. He really wasn't that effective in the playoffs last year IIRC. You could see it the last month and a half of the regular season this year that Bob was burned out. He CLEARLY wasn't ready to work 60+ games this year (including playoffs which he would have if he remained the starter) but that's what we tried to do with him. In hind sight it was a pretty stupid thing to do. We should have split the games between he and Boucher evenly in the reg season and the last 2-3 weeks worked Bob in as the every day goalie.

Bob should be given a chance again next year and hopefully he can rebound much like JVR did this year.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
A female goalie in the same locker room with Carter and Richards...um yeah

As far as Vokoun I will say it again...you would be getting him a bit late and his back is acting up on him. It could be another Beezer situation. They should have tried to get him a couple of years ago but of course we had cap problems. Even Roloson they should have tried to get a couple of years ago as a legit stopgap measure. Flyers are always reactive with goaltending vs proactive.

I could go for Vokoun at the right price though..just worry about the fact the dude has PTSD from being shell shocked over the years with shots on goal and more importantly his health with that back. A physical would be in order..like they should have done with Leighton! Obviously, he would be a much better risk than what Leighton was!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:00 AM
ShotScore*

I want Ilya Bryzgalov.

Period.

He won 36 games this year for Phoenix. He would win 45+ for us.

Plus, he won't cost us anything but money.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
I want Ilya Bryzgalov.

Period.

He won 36 games this year for Phoenix. He would win 45+ for us.

Plus, he won't cost us anything but money.
He was also terribly un-clutch in the playoffs, how do you feel about that?

Old
05-02-2011, 11:03 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
He was also terribly un-clutch in the playoffs, how do you feel about that?
I feel like the team he was playing for was overmatched in every way.

Old
05-02-2011, 11:06 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Bryzgalov is not clutch during the playoffs, Nabokov is not clutch, Emery is a question mark in his health.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Can't believe there are people on here that don't think Bryz or Vokoun is a realistic option next season. Move the salary that needs to be moved and lock one of these guys up till Pronger is done. No guarantees for a cup but I'd ship Carter, Hartnell or Carle for picks and get one of these guys in the fold quickly. I'm sick of having the ********* goalie on the playoffs.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Can't believe there are people on here that don't think Bryz or Vokoun is a realistic option next season. Move the salary that needs to be moved and lock one of these guys up till Pronger is done. No guarantees for a cup but I'd ship Carter, Hartnell or Carle for picks and get one of these guys in the fold quickly. I'm sick of having the ********* goalie on the playoffs.
Agree.

Although I would rather move Timonen's contract than Carle's.

Timonen is going to be 37 with a 6.333 mil. cap hit.

It would look sweet if we could take Kimmo's money and apply it to Bryz.

Old
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
CptCannon

Whoever is the goalie next year, he don't have to be "clutch", just gotta make the regular saves. Playing behind that group of skaters the goalie doesn't matter that much, but becomes a factor if they suck as bad as they currently do.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote