HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....all DC area sports not Redskins/Caps

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Berakos

vCash: 500
Time to move up Harper to AA.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Capitlols

^Seriously. 4-5 w/ a grand slam and batting near .400. Though doubt they would bypass Single-A for him.

Old
05-12-2011, 05:21 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Nice comeback for the Nats, but this is sublime from Kilgore:

Bryce Harper. Wow. He went 4 for 5 with a grand slam that, apparently, cleared both tiers of signage at Hagerstown’s home park. He’s now hitting .396/.472/.712. Adrian Sanchez also went 4 for 5.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Funkyalligator

Probably hitting up my first nats game of the season this Saturday provided it doesn't rain....FYI....if you're buying tickets online you can use the discount code of FACEBOOK to get 50% off a bunch of tickets.

In relation to Harper....we probably won't see him in the bigs till next year because the nats aren't close to competing yet and so the nats will wait due to financial reasons.

I'm pretty darn happy with the nats this year...the biggest key so far has been how deep into games the starting pitching has been able to make it. Having Marquis healthy has been a big key because he needs to eat innings as our staff grows and the resurgence of gordzelanic

Old
05-12-2011, 10:34 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

^It's really about pitching for every team. The Nats have gotten solid pitching from their starters, and Clip and Storen have been fantastic (the latter looks like he'll be an all-star perhaps as soon as this year.)

Again, this is a team with a future. They're playing solid ball now, but in a season or two the middle of the order is going to feature Werth, Zim, and Harper, and if everything goes according to plan, that's going to be supplemented by an extremely talented rotation. Strasburg/JZim/no.6 overall pick this year/Solis/Cole or Ray (ideally both would be available.) That's the shell of a contender.

That doesn't even take into account the 23rd overall pick or the 34th overall pick this year in an insanely deep draft, or the highly regard Derek Norris or any of the other prospects in their system or any potential FAs we sign.

Baseball is a game marked by ethereal promise (there's nothing in sports more fragile than a pitchers arm, and starting pitching is as important as a goalie is to a hockey club, or a qb is to a football team, so success is always tenuous in baseball unless you have a fortified farm system, or the means to replace injured pitchers at a moments notice.) The Nats presently don't have either of those things, although the farm system is in the process of being bolstered, and the market holds great promise if cultivated properly (huge population center, very, very affluent, an area that's craving a winner etc.), so in time, even if that iteration of the Nats pitching staff doesn't pan out, I have no doubt in my mind that this is a team that's going to contend in the near future.

In short, it's ok to get excited about this team. They aren't going to the playoffs this season, a more reasonable goal would be to shoot for a .500 team, but the calvary is on the way, and what you are watching now is the first stage in the Nats development into a very good team.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:19 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

The thing that was great about last night was the twitter feed. Everyone kvetching and moaning, then wham! All of the sudden, there were 30-50 posts a minute of closet Nats fans!

Old
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Funkyalligator

The biggest problem that the Nats have had to overcome the decimation of their farm system by MLB while it was owned by them(check out all the great players that are former expos prospects)...additionally the entire scouting department was stripped(computers and all) by loria right before he sold the team to MLB(want to guess how good the Florida Marlins scouting was in the first few years after loria got the team?). It's only now 5+ years later that the farm system is recovering. Another couple drafts and things should start balancing out especially in relation to starting pitching.

I'm interested to see how yunesky Maya pans out....right now the defense is doing fine and same with the pitching(both starters and relievers)...it's the hitting which has been an issue(especially with zimmerman out and werth still adjusting).

Old
05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Funkyalligator

Oh and I love having Bernadina at the top of the order...a big issue the nats have had the past couple of seasons is no lead-off threat....for awhile it looked like Morgan might be one but he didn't pan out. In relation to the top of the order and having guys on base...the Nats are 2nd in the NL in stolen bases with 33. This years Nats are so much better on the bases it's not even funny...and I'm not missing Dunn at all at first base.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Burnett just gave up a 4 run lead in the bottom of the 7th off of a grand slam (he inherited two runners.) The Nats were staring a sweep in the face, and once again, he gives up the farm. I'm convinced that he's deliberately sabotaging the club.

Top of the 9th now with the game tied at 5 a piece.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:50 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

^accidentally hit space bar at the end of my last post. Obviously meant apiece.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Funkyalligator

Yeah I was watching...it totally sucked but I have to say the umpire certainly wasn't doing Burnett any favors with some of his calls.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Capitlols

Orioles magic

Old
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

^agreed, but he's been terrible lately so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me. I really, really wanted to see Clip in that spot.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

My last post was directed at Funkyalligator.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:15 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Nats lose. ****ing Burnett.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Funkyalligator

Yup well....considering how badly the nats have been hitting lately I'm not too shocked they lost this one....indeed Burnett has been pitching horribly but he'll right the ship soon enough.

Old
05-12-2011, 09:49 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Would have been a nice feather in the Nats' cap to go into Atlanta and sweep the Braves who were playing terrific baseball before the start of the series.

On to the Marlins.

Old
05-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Funkyalligator

I like the fact that the Nats are playing in such a tough division with such great pitching...winning won't come easy for the Nats but it'll mean that when they do start making the push for the playoffs(I'm guessing that's about 2-3 years away) they'll be pretty well tested. Anybody care to give their opinions on the coaching staff specifically riggleman, mcatty and ekstein?

I'm quite happy with the job they've done so far with such an interesting mix of players.

Old
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
I like the fact that the Nats are playing in such a tough division with such great pitching...winning won't come easy for the Nats but it'll mean that when they do start making the push for the playoffs(I'm guessing that's about 2-3 years away) they'll be pretty well tested. Anybody care to give their opinions on the coaching staff specifically riggleman, mcatty and ekstein?

I'm quite happy with the job they've done so far with such an interesting mix of players.
I could nitpick around the edges, but overall, I think it is a good coaching staff. However, if they keep getting eliminated in the first and second round, oh, wait...

Old
05-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berakos View Post
Time to move up Harper to AA.
High A is first (most likely). Potomac, then Harrisburg (AA), then Syracuse (AAA), and most likely in the show next year.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post

Jim Riggleman is kind of like a battle-tested, well respected Glen Hanlon.

Old
05-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Berakos

Bernadina made an absolutely amazing catch tonight.

Old
05-14-2011, 08:39 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

^Catch of the year candidate. Another tough loss in extra innings, but there were a number of great individual performances last night. Bernie was fantastic, Nix raked again, Storen was unhittable.....again, and Desmond had a few clutch knocks. Solid effort against a good club coming off of an extended roadie.

Old
05-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Funkyalligator

The nats are a totally different team this year than last...la rouche at 1st has clearly helped both desmonds and the pitchers defense...plus the players are 150% smarter on the bases with their speed....if Zimmerman wasn't injured this hitting lineup would be a ton better...werth and zim protecting each other with a leadoff guy on means lots of stuff to hit especially with speed ahead of them with bernadina now...kind of like morgan when he first came over in the trade 2 years ago.

Old
05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Funkyalligator

The Nats seem to be building their organization along the same lines as the braves with tons of pitching....and it certainly seems that in the long run...solid starting pitching is a must in the NL East so it's a good plan.

Closed Thread