HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais

Old
05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
[/B]

Ya lets throw yet another talented young player away! Jesus Christ, when will it end.

S. kostitsyn, M. Ribeiro, M. Grabovski anyone like to have those guys back on the team?

Ever think that maybe the problem was management and coaching not giving young talented players the chance to develop on the top two lines. Heck if Pacioretty hadn't challenged management he would have been called up to play third or forth line minutes!

Montreal needs to learn that Talented YOUNG players need to play top line minutes not checking roles!
Totally agree

HCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
What makes you think Kostitsyn is not working out in Montreal... just what aspect of his game is lacking.

As I have said before, the mob mentality has taken over as far as Kostitsyn goes and everyone just blindly accept a totally biased analysis of Kosty's contribution. There is a long list of players that should be gone before him. It begins with Gomez and ends with about two-thirds of the defensemen on the team.

You would think that management (a posters on this board) would have learned something about throwing certain players under the bus. Apparently not!
Agree 100%

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Martin briefly experimented with him as Gomez's LW, and he looked good. The kid just oozes hockey sense.

Unfortunately, that lasted a game and change, then DD got hurt. Might get retried next season.
Yup, I see no problems with him at the wing. He'd help on breakouts and his strength/low center of gravity, hockey sense and tenacity enables him to succeed more often than not in board battles.

What do you think of Desharnais being used with Plekanec?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Pleky's LW slot is already occupied by Cammalleri and I worry that the tougher matchups would get too much for him. I think that line needs a good matchup guy.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:01 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
I think the key to our whole center issue is trading /getting rid of Gomez....it would makes things sooo much better!!
Exactly! Everyone knows it. Bury him in the minors, sign Brad Richards instead and it's a whole new and better team...

Richards
Plekanek
Eller

Forget about it! It's nice to dream.

As for DD, I prefer Eller and I don' think DD is made to play on a 4th line because obviously we want that line to be gritty next year (fingers crossed). We should give him the chance to play with another team. Hopefelly we can get a 3rd round draft pick for him.

OpenIceHit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:02 AM
KeziaTML

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Exactly! Everyone knows it. Bury him in the minors, sign Brad Richards instead and it's a whole new and better team...

Richards
Plekanek
Eller

As for DD, I prefer Eller and I don' think DD is made to play on a 4th line because obviously we want that line to be gritty next year (fingers crossed). We should give him the chance to play with another team. Hopefelly we can get a 3rd round draft pick for him.
Done. Give Burke a call and post it up.

KeziaTML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

He'll play on 3rd line wing with Eller. And on the pp. He isn't going anywhere.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Richards
Plekanek
Eller

Hopefully ? How is that a good thing to give away a solid young player for an obscur 3rd rounder ?

DD should be tried at the wing, at least, before considering trading him... and if we do trade him, we better get something a lot better than that. Grabovski was traded for a 2nd, why on earth would DD fetch less ?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:35 PM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Hopefully ? How is that a good thing to give away a solid young player for an obscur 3rd rounder ?

DD should be tried at the wing, at least, before considering trading him... and if we do trade him, we better get something a lot better than that. Grabovski was traded for a 2nd, why on earth would DD fetch less ?
Because Grabovski has more skills than DD...

But in the same it is true than I'm tired to see players get better somewhere else, especially when we got nothing in return. Anyway it's the GM job to decide when to pull the plug. And you guys are right, if he can play winger with Eller, why not?

Old
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Miller Time

I'm fine going with Plekanec- Eller- DD- White/Halpern? as our centre depth for next season.

Cammy- Pleks- A.Kost
MaxPac- Eller- Gionta
Pouliot- DD- UFA (2.5-3.5Million)
Moen- Halpern- White/Pyatt

that plus another 4-5M to spend on defense would surely be better than any possible roster combination WITH Gomez (and his 7.4M price tag) in the lineup.

Halpern showed that he can handle a 3rd/4th line centre role very effectively and give us some quality face-off play. Both DD and Eller showed more than enough for me during the post season that I'm confident they will come into next season ready to improve on their play.

and by wisely investing in re-building the defense (i.e not carelessly overpaying for whomever is available this off-season) the team could realistically enter the season with enough cap space that when a potential roster improving "cap dump" by another team comes up during the course of next season (or even this offseason), we have the ability to move on it.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Because Grabovski has more skills than DD...
Well these are the stats from both players at age 23 (draft year)

Grabo
AHL : 12 8 12 20
NHL : 24 3 6 9

DD
AHL : 35 10 35 45
NHL : 43 8 14 22

Grabovski is much faster, but DD has much better hockey sense... both are pretty equal at the same age and look how good Grabovski is now...

DD is definitely a keeper.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:42 PM
habspinner

Does everyone really believe that Desharnais is not a good player after what they saw from him this year?

It's weird that people are not convinced, especially considering I'm convinced and I was not at all a fan of this player at all - I really didn't think he would have an impact this great at the NHL level.

But here's some stats to consider:

Brad Marchand = PPG = 0.53
David Desharnais = PPG = 0.51

Tomas Plekanec = FO% = 50.0
David Desharnais = FO% = 49.7

Now obviously Pleky takes much, much more important faceoffs, and Marchand was playing against better opponents, but it does show that DD has potential, and can play well defensively as well.

Desharnais will be a player in this league, and it will be with Habs. Why would they not keep him? He has a great attitude, ridiculous work ethic, and would skate through the boards to help his team - why would you not want that on your team?

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:45 PM
PricePkPatch

DD is also, in my opinion, a tough little gritty guy. He isn't afraid of going against big players, he never gives up on a 1-on-1 fight, and he Aleta has the knack of knowing where to go.

He's a keeper. Seeing go against Chara alone convinced me his heart is bigger than the player itself. Either on the Wing or as a Centre, he provokes things and can make awesome plays.

Plus, his shot seems to be better than Gomez's, eh.

Teaming him with Eller and Kostityn would balance the weight very well. Kostityn is just plain awesome when you use him as a 3rd liner, he seems more hungry. Him and Eller had a good chemistry.

All of Eller, Kost and DD have keen offensive intelligence, move the puck very well, and can throw their weight effectively. JM is brilliant enough to match them against the kind of opposition they will thrive against.

If you want a strong 3rd line, we dont need to go look further than these 3. I project at least 35 goals in 82 games for this lineup.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
Does everyone really believe that Desharnais is not a good player after what they saw from him this year?

It's weird that people are not convinced, especially considering I'm convinced and I was not at all a fan of this player at all - I really didn't think he would have an impact this great at the NHL level.

But here's some stats to consider:

Brad Marchand = PPG = 0.53
David Desharnais = PPG = 0.51

Tomas Plekanec = FO% = 50.0
David Desharnais = FO% = 49.7

Now obviously Pleky takes much, much more important faceoffs, and Marchand was playing against better opponents, but it does show that DD has potential, and can play well defensively as well.

Desharnais will be a player in this league, and it will be with Habs. Why would they not keep him? He has a great attitude, ridiculous work ethic, and would skate through the boards to help his team - why would you not want that on your team?
Faceoff ability =/ defensive accumen. Desharnias bleeded goals against soft compitition. He had the offense to make up for it but he has a long way to go before he'd be considered defensively reliable at the NHL level. I think he'll get there eventually, largely because high work ethic players with strong hockey sense usually do, but defense isn't yet part of his repitoir.

If the Habs can find a tough minutes RW for Plekanec then I'm hoping to see Kost-Eller-Desh as well. That has the making of an excellent soft minutes scoring 3rd line. Then Pyatt, White, Moen and maybe a Halpern or Halpern equivalent to play relatively hard minutes for a 4th line and populate the PK units.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Did anyone watch Le 4 a 7 ? Francois Gagnon was raging on Gomez and he said

On a qui ? Desharnais ? PEUT ETRE Hiller. As in Eller.

I can't believe these guys. Eller is a much better player than Desharnais and he was like MAYBE he could be a good replacement for Gomez but Desharnais is the clear cut replacement

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Faceoff ability =/ defensive accumen. Desharnias bleeded goals against soft compitition. He had the offense to make up for it but he has a long way to go before he'd be considered defensively reliable at the NHL level. I think he'll get there eventually, largely because high work ethic players with strong hockey sense usually do, but defense isn't yet part of his repitoir.

If the Habs can find a tough minutes RW for Plekanec then I'm hoping to see Kost-Eller-Desh as well. That has the making of an excellent soft minutes scoring 3rd line. Then Pyatt, White, Moen and maybe a Halpern or Halpern equivalent to play relatively hard minutes for a 4th line and populate the PK units.
I don't have the wherewithal to put the stats to paper sort of speak, but take a look at his plus minus stats both on the PP and one on one, and again at home and on the road. They aren't as bad as you think.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=plusMinus

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:05 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post

I can't believe these guys. Eller is a much better player than Desharnais and he was like MAYBE he could be a good replacement for Gomez but Desharnais is the clear cut replacement
It's normal that the young recruit, probably the best Quebec-bred talent in our team will be a tad overhyped by the French media. Don't fret on it, JM and PG both have sounder heads than your average reporter and analysts who's only job is to talk about what should be done.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:08 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
The only coaching experience he has is in the Q. If there was one person i would bring back it would be Jaques Demers. No one else.
I liked Alain Vignault

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:44 PM
OpenIceHit

First of all, I didn't say DD was a bad player. I'm conviced he is now a NHLer and there's no doubt he will be part of this league for some years to come mostly because he's a hard working little warrior.

Then, I mentionned the only reason I would consider departing with him is that half our forwards play more or less the same type of game (fast but small). It would be like having 12 Lucic : Every team would like to have one or two, but not twelve, the Bell Centre would look like a zoo.

Finally and most of us Habs fans know about it : we tend to greatly overate our players. Everytime I heard or read about proposals it's as if our team was filled with superstars for the past 15 years. (Ryder+Halak+Perezoghin for Superstar X type of deal)

In my opinion, DD will be good average player (3rd liner). I don't expect him to become a Martin St-Louis. But hey! I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a superstar...

Old
05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yup, I see no problems with him at the wing. He'd help on breakouts and his strength/low center of gravity, hockey sense and tenacity enables him to succeed more often than not in board battles.

I said this in another thread maybe a week ago and I'm not kidding at least 4-5 people called me a moron in different words.

He's too small, he'll never be an effective winger, the typical bull people spew when they don't even know what they're talking about.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
I don't have the wherewithal to put the stats to paper sort of speak, but take a look at his plus minus stats both on the PP and one on one, and again at home and on the road. They aren't as bad as you think.
The only Habs who had worse goals-against-per-icetime ratios than Desharnais were Dustin Boyd and Brendon Nash. Some of that is rough luck with the goaltending, but still.

DD is a good player who is going to get better. But people need to realize that at this point in his career he has some limitations. He has the hockey sense and the work ethic to overcome them, but until he does, Martin is going to do what he's done all year: shelter him, and put him in a position to succeed.

DD's problem, I think, is that his scoring will cause his market value to exceed his hockey value. When that happens, it may not make sense for the Habs to keep him.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The only Habs who had worse goals-against-per-icetime ratios than Desharnais were Dustin Boyd and Brendon Nash. Some of that is rough luck with the goaltending, but still.

DD is a good player who is going to get better. But people need to realize that at this point in his career he has some limitations. He has the hockey sense and the work ethic to overcome them, but until he does, Martin is going to do what he's done all year: shelter him, and put him in a position to succeed.

DD's problem, I think, is that his scoring will cause his market value to exceed his hockey value. When that happens, it may not make sense for the Habs to keep him.
unpossible!!!! martin doesn't know how to train rookies!!!

also, desharnais played on the pk a quite a bit. i think you may be underestimating his defensive capabilities. for a player to play on the pk under martin, he has to be at least better than average defensively

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:44 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Those threads really, really anger me...

Everytime there's a promising rookie in Montreal that happens to be Quebecer, you see these "we should trade him" threads pop up.

Only on HF Boards...

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:54 PM
shiram

DD is a tough cookie to crack for the team.
On one hand you have this young guy full of heart and dedication, playing for a club he loves, and he would be a (at least) media welcomed Québecois. His game is good as well, and there's no reason why he could not improve.

But on the other, he is small, and not very physical, and we have issues already at center, and with small players. Pleks, Gomez and Eller are higher on the depth charts, and you can't really have a guy with DD's skills and frame as your fourth line center.
Maybe if he plays wing?
I don't think they could get much in return for him in trade either, so hopefully he can play winger for a while.
I would like him to stay that's for sure.

shiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'd rather trade Gomez(if possible) and go:

Plekanec
Eller/DD
DD/Eller

Even if they aren't in their prime.
OMG that would put us out of the playoffs !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote