HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF | GAME 2 | Sharks vs Red Wings | Sharks win 2-1 | Series 2-0

Old
05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

vCash: 500
I thought the Sharks had the best full 60-minute effort all post-season. Niemi was great, especially during the first 10 minutes where the Sharks were spending a lot of time in the box. Wallin had two great games in a row and will hopefully keep this pace up going forward. The goal he scored is just icing on the cake. The defense was active offensively, physically imposing, and doing their job in the defensive zone as well. I'm really impressed by Demers and how he's stepping up his game both physically and offensively. Our best players were solid again, so there's no need to mention them again because everyone knows who they are. Basically everyone played well today except for a few guys.

I like what Eager brings, but I don't think he's bought into the system. He can be physical and be a force on the forecheck, but I don't think he's done that at all in the post season. In fact, he has a tendency to float and usually is a liability in the defensive zone during his shifts, and that leads to momentum going the other way. Add that with some poorly timed, undisciplined penalties and that just spells disaster coming down the road.
I'm not sure why Mayers isn't in the lineup, because I actually like what he brings to the game. He's physical and fast, and his board work is surprisingly good for a 4th liner. Maybe a 4th line of Mayers-Nichol-McCarthy/Ferriero would be a nice change. McCarthy has shown some chemistry with the other two during the year, and he might fit the checking role a bit better than Ferriero while still providing some offensive touch at times.

I thought Setoguchi looked a little better than game 1, but he still has more room for improvement. I don't really think it's because of a lack of effort which would be way more troubling, just that he's the weakest link on the first line and the other team is exploiting it. His board work and vision are key areas where he seems to have trouble, and that really hurts when he has the puck on a cycle. It's probably a good time for him to reset his game again like he did a few times during the regular season: go on the forecheck, finish all his checks, and just use his speed without overthinking his game.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is a snow shower a penalty?
It can be. I've seen it called "Unsportsmanlike Conduct."

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is a snow shower a penalty?
It can be. A few seasons ago my wife and I went to a Sharks game when we still had season tix. The "Commerica Club" ATM promo thing was for a lady who spun it and it landed on "Penalty free 2nd period."

Sure enough, the Sharks didn't take a penalty the 2nd period...until with about 2 minutes left, Thornton gave a big snow shower to the goalie and the ref called it delay of game, 2 minutes. We laughed our ass off thinking about how pissed that lady must have been to lose her $1,000 or whatever simply because Thornton had to do a snow shower.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Rickety Cricket

I was at that game, I felt so bad for that lady.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:28 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I like what Eager brings, but I don't think he's bought into the system. He can be physical and be a force on the forecheck, but I don't think he's done that at all in the post season. In fact, he has a tendency to float and usually is a liability in the defensive zone during his shifts, and that leads to momentum going the other way. Add that with some poorly timed, undisciplined penalties and that just spells disaster coming down the road.
We might as well just go 7 dmen honestly. Braun for the PP! Does anyone think that Eager's 1 min of ice time per game is really helping rest our fwds at all? Our 4th line is useless absolutely useless. 3 mins of ice time for nichol ES. just put up nichol and mayers who can pk, and rotate the other 3 lines the entire game ES. and then with bruan on the pp, that's like 4 minutes for braun, which is more than eager gets combined typically.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:30 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
We might as well just go 7 dmen honestly. Braun for the PP! Does anyone think that Eager's 1 min of ice time per game is really helping rest our fwds at all? Our 4th line is useless absolutely useless. 3 mins of ice time for nichol ES. just put up nichol and mayers who can pk, and rotate the other 3 lines the entire game ES. and then with bruan on the pp, that's like 4 minutes for braun, which is more than eager gets combined typically.
I'd still rather not go 7 dmen, I hate it as it puts too much pressure on the other forwards.

If Eager now all of a sudden is going to start playing like the way Blackhawks fans warned us about, maybe we need to simply go Mayers-Nichol-Ferriero for the 4th line...

Old
05-01-2011, 06:31 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Having 7 d-men will force TM to play the big guys even more than he already is. At the moment, he can still play x-Nichol-Ferriero and just rotate one forward instead of two. Not to mention the Sharks don't need Braun on the power play. Boyle, Pavelski, Demers, and White are all more experienced and more poised. Add that in with Boyle already staying out for a good 90 seconds of a 2 minute powerplay, and it makes him even less necessary.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:32 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

On the way home, we listened to NHL Home Ice and most (but not all) of their talk after the Sharks post game was over was centered on how Detroit is not going to panic and be ready for Game 3.

The thing is, the Red Wings better hope that the Sharks guns who have been silent thus far on the scoresheet (Thornton, Marleau, Heater, Seto) don't decide to turn it on because then it could get ugly for the Wings.

Like someone else said here, I hope the Sharks come out and beat the Wings 10-0 Wednesday. :-)

Old
05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

In theory, adding Braun into the lineup would be good since the fourth line barely plays anyway, but in reality that probably won't work and will likely do more harm than good.

What it will do is screw up the defensive pairings and put even more ice-time on the top 3 lines. Braun will only end up getting 3-4 minutes of ice for the entire game and will be on mismatched line pairs. More confusion and more ice time for key players makes for a bad lineup change.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I'd still rather not go 7 dmen, I hate it as it puts too much pressure on the other forwards.

If Eager now all of a sudden is going to start playing like the way Blackhawks fans warned us about, maybe we need to simply go Mayers-Nichol-Ferriero for the 4th line...
i would agree if tmac actualyl played our 4th line. it's clear he doesnt trust that line at all, they have never amounted to more than 3-4 mins ice time in any game. is that really helping our other fwds?

Old
05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

Hopefully we can steal one of these next two games at the JLA. Would not be surprised if these 2-1 games go the other way.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
i would agree if tmac actualyl played our 4th line. it's clear he doesnt trust that line at all, they have never amounted to more than 3-4 mins ice time in any game. is that really helping our other fwds?
Maybe that has more to do with Eager if anything. He doesn't like using them because when they come out, they end up being pinned in the defensive zone and lose momentum. Losing momentum is the opposite result the 4th line is trying to generate.

Take out Eager's floatyness and that problem isn't a factor anymore. Mayers and Nichol are both solid defensively and are often on the PK, so there's no lack of trust there. Put in a 3rd guy who knows what to do in the defensive zone, like McCarthy, and Tmac might have more faith in them and use them more throughout the game.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:40 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Maybe that has more to do with Eager if anything. He doesn't like using them because when they come out, they end up being pinned in the defensive zone and lose momentum. Losing momentum is the opposite result the 4th line is trying to generate.

Take out Eager's floatyness and that problem isn't a factor anymore. Mayers and Nichol are both solid defensively and are often on the PK, so there's no lack of trust there. Put in a 3rd guy who knows what to do in the defensive zone, like McCarthy, and Tmac might have more faith in them and use them more throughout the game.
yeh true... true that our pp lines is already set too. dunno tho, seems like a waste, i dont thnk tmac will ever trust that line.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
yeh true... true that our pp lines is already set too. dunno tho, seems like a waste, i dont thnk tmac will ever trust that line.
He trusted them throughout most of the year and they've been solid for the most part, so I don't see why it should change in the post-season. TMac usually tests the waters early and gives them a few shifts to get their legs in the first period. If he likes what he sees I don't see why he wouldn't use them, just that lately they've been pretty bad. There's no reason to gamble with them in key moments late in the game and the ice times reflect that.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Markus
Registered Lurker

For Moo:

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Just got home from the game. Man, that was simply sweet.

In game three we need to not withstand the first 10 minutes where Detroit will come at us with everything...no, we need to do that to them. Turn the tables on them and come out and try to take an early lead in game 3.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
For Moo:

Well done LOL

Old
05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Thepainter

Was at the game, I have NEVER heard a goalie's name chanted so loudly (this includes OUR goalie's name) than I heard "HOWARD" today. I hate noon games but this one wasn't TOO bad, but it still sucked walking out and it being sunny as hell and 80 degrees out.

I didn't realize Detroit had 6 PPs... poorly officiated game on both sides (I'm not going to complain because the refs were terrible for both teams).

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:49 PM
D1az

Quote:
For Moo:

Man, Sharks' fans have got some serious skills when it comes to Photoshopping.

D1az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:49 PM
jaems

I was at the game today. Great crowd.

I thought the call on Seto was weak especially when the refs basically ignored Bertuzzi's headlock a few seconds later. Also, if they're going to call Thornton for interference then they basically should've called the same a few minutes after Detroit's PP goal.

Also, Marleau frustrated me so much. Guy has torched my Avs many times but was really inconsistent today. I almost lost it when he just kind of touched the puck in the dying minute and nonchalantly left it for the Wings. He could've easily just slid it under him and killed more time. And then there was another incident in the Sharks zone I think in the 2nd where he got the puck and basically didn't move fast enough so a Wings player stripped him of the puck leading to a scoring chance.

That said, really happy the Sharks have a 2-0 lead against one of the toughest playoff teams in the league. People might look at stats only but I was really impressed by Joe Thornton.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
shark224488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicoop831 View Post
He not skating to his highest ability, he usually just burns people but that hasn't been happening
this. It just seems that he does not have the usual acceleration. He seldom won the battle for the puck today. Perhaps it was the day game. I doubt it though because he was slow in game 1 as well.

shark224488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:51 PM
ramstoria

Well the Sharks are still undefeated against the wings while I'm attendance. I'm also 3-0 in playoff games. So if anyone wants to give me a ticket the PM me.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:56 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
For Moo:

hahhahahaha...

05-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Thepainter

My god, all of these "experts" are so stupid. Here's the deal, Howard is one of the poorest puck handling goaltenders I have seen in a long time. Even when you shoot on him, he either drops it or juggles it. The puck is loose, and our guys have a right to try and get to that loose puck. If Howard would simply HOLD ON to the puck I could see his case about the snow showers.

Seriously, Howard needs to man up and get over it. It's going to happen... it's just ice. Water. Just like the tears he cries.

What a woman.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:00 PM
rideaucrusher21

Checked the boxscore and Datsyuk had over 24 min of ice time! Wow.

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote