HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brassard VS Johansen

Old
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
tarrin8

vCash: 500
Brassard VS Johansen

Brassad VS Johansen

who will end up better and as the #1 Center

after Brassards fisrt year with 25 poitns in 31 games if he didnt get injured i would think he would of hit atleast 50 points and probly a bit more, but he has yet to live up to that in his next 2 years even tho he had some good streaks this last season. he still could emerge next year with a 60-70 point year.

yes there is a 5 year difference between the 2 but there both high pick but in the end i think Johansen will end up the better player.

tarrin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Brassard was highly touted just as Johansen is. Ryan seems to be more durable, though, so that will probably be the fundamental difference between the two. If Brassard didn't mess up his shoulders in Juniors and in the NHL, I truly believe he would be a much better player at this point in time. His development has slowed tremendously because of the injuries.

Hopefully Johansen stays healthy and can get up to about 210 lbs eventually, and we can have a nice 1-2 punch. Brass seems more like a number 2 guy at this point, and Johan has potential to fill that number 1 role if his development continues on this track.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Who knows, but I do hope that Johansen is better and a #1 when its all said and done.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Doug19

The way that Johansen has progressed sense his rookie year in the WHL I think we might end up with one hell of a player. I can only purely base that off of reading; however because I only saw him in about 20 games this season in the WHL and training camp + preseason last year in Columbus. If he had been on his second year in the WHL at 17 we might not have even gotten the chance to draft him however.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
tarrin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Brassard was highly touted just as Johansen is. Ryan seems to be more durable, though, so that will probably be the fundamental difference between the two. If Brassard didn't mess up his shoulders in Juniors and in the NHL, I truly believe he would be a much better player at this point in time. His development has slowed tremendously because of the injuries.

Hopefully Johansen stays healthy and can get up to about 210 lbs eventually, and we can have a nice 1-2 punch. Brass seems more like a number 2 guy at this point, and Johan has potential to fill that number 1 role if his development continues on this track.
ya Brassards injures have hurt his potential but what can you do?

Ryan Johansen has some good size to him 6.03 and 196 right now by training camp he should be 200-210lbs i think he can make a run for the calder next year if he gets the minutes

Old
05-06-2011, 03:32 PM
BluejacketNut

Ive learned not to put any stock in what happens in JR's, or World JR's. NHL is completely different. It all depends on how we handle him, if we get all gaga over him and put him in before he's ready, we can just as easily end up with another Brule and what Jake seems to be dangerously close to tipping to. We shouldnt plan on seeing him for another 2 years unless he blows away Vermette and Brassard, if he doesnt, he should be developing more. And if that means another year in jrs because he's not eligible for the A, then so be it.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:41 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Had Brass not decided to play enforcer, it wouldn't have surprised me to see 60+ points and two Jackets nominated for the Calder that year. But that's just me.

I'd like to hope that The Johan will be a beast, be able to play on the first line, and ride the wave of what he's done in juniors to the NHL...

...but then I remember Alexandre Picard, Gilbert Brule, and Nikita Filatov. And I remember that seeing is believing with prospects.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I think Brassard gets underrated. Yes, his point totals are less than impressive in his 2 years, but we are much better with him (healthy) than without him.

I hope Johansen is better -- Ryan has size going for him. That said, we need to avoid rushing him.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

When I look at Johansen I look at his ability to take over games. I dont recall seeing every prospect that went through our system but I havent seen one as solid as Johansen. That being said, I'm not going to put any stock into it. I like him and hope he becomes the next Joe Thornton but he's a long ways. A few things that he has going for him, size, skill, IQ, and the attitude and will to succeed at the NHL level.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:17 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

I think we have two number 2 centers.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I think Brassard gets underrated. Yes, his point totals are less than impressive in his 2 years, but we are much better with him (healthy) than without him.

I hope Johansen is better -- Ryan has size going for him. That said, we need to avoid rushing him.
Brassard
Vermette
Pahlsson
Mackenzie

or

Vermette
Mackenzie
Pahlsson
Wilson

Of course we are better off with him than without him, Mackenzie is our second best offensive center when Brassard is gone. Brassard is far from Underrated he scored 47 points playing mostly on the top line. He needs to produce, he isn't on an ELC anymore.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I don't really look at this as who is better. What I do look at is the potential for 3 good scoring lines with 3 top notch centers.

Assuming Johansen lives up to expectations:

1st line C Johansen
2nd line C Brass
3rd line C Vermette

That would be a good starting point for three scoring lines in my book. Of course all pieces are interchangeable depending on production, and development.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Of course we are better off with him than without him, Mackenzie is our second best offensive center when Brassard is gone. Brassard is far from Underrated he scored 47 points playing mostly on the top line. He needs to produce, he isn't on an ELC anymore.
His point totals are largely due to his being injured. Even when he was back, he was obviously not 100% as he couldn't take faceoffs and didn't play at all like he did at the beginning of the year. Look at our record before he took the slapshot off the hand versus after.

Even if Johansen made the team, I think Brassard should center the first line this year.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:44 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Even if Johansen made the team, I think someone better than Brassard should center the first line this year.
I would make a slight adjustment to your post. I agree that Johansen is not ready to center an NHL first line, but I'm not convinced that Brass is, either.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

It is a question whether Vermette would want to play as a third line center. If this line will be scoring too and Vermy will play on PP probably yes, if not...

And whether Brassard or Johansen? We will see what Ryan will show in NHL. Than we can ask this question again.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
It is a question whether Vermette would want to play as a third line center. If this line will be scoring too and Vermy will play on PP probably yes, if not...

And whether Brassard or Johansen? We will see what Ryan will show in NHL. Than we can ask this question again.
He played it just fine in Ottawa. IIRC his biggest issue over there was all the time he had to spend on the wing.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
He played it just fine in Ottawa. IIRC his biggest issue over there was all the time he had to spend on the wing.
Yes, but he played here in the first or the second line and big ice-time, if he would play in the third line he would play less because his time on PP Johansen would take.

Old
05-07-2011, 06:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
If you mean we sucked less.. Sure... Not sure that says a whole lot about Brass however.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
His point totals are largely due to his being injured. Even when he was back, he was obviously not 100% as he couldn't take faceoffs and didn't play at all like he did at the beginning of the year. Look at our record before he took the slapshot off the hand versus after.

Even if Johansen made the team, I think Brassard should center the first line this year.
I agree with you...I'm not sure if Brass is a true #1 Center, but I think he'd look better if a #1 winger were paired with Nash..... I am not crazy counting on or asking Johansen to step onto the top line.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Yes, but he played here in the first or the second line and big ice-time, if he would play in the third line he would play less because his time on PP Johansen would take.
Considering he played as a 3rd line winger in Ottawa for quite a few years, I don't see that being a big deal. The three center approach is great assuming you have enough highly skilled depth on wingers. Nobody expects Johansen to be the next Crosby.

I'd rather see Johansen tread water before he starts swimming. Would be surprised if he had alot of trouble adjusting based on his game, however he should have to work his way up to the 1st line the way everyone not named Filatov does it.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Doug19

If we happened to trade Voracek in the off-season I'd love to get a #1 or #2 center via trade or FA so that we could move Brassard to wing. I just don't think he has what it takes to center a top line, but I like his style and think he might be better off as a winger without so much defensive responsibility.

Old
05-08-2011, 04:54 AM
tarrin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
If we happened to trade Voracek in the off-season I'd love to get a #1 or #2 center via trade or FA so that we could move Brassard to wing. I just don't think he has what it takes to center a top line, but I like his style and think he might be better off as a winger without so much defensive responsibility.
i would really like to see ottawa trade for voracek , he would be a nice addition to the team.

Old
05-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

As to the OP's question of will be the better #1 - assuming he means "ultimately" - i'll go with Johansen, seeing as we have now a decent book on Brassard (although he is still young). What sucks about the follow-up notion of Brass is best-suited the second-line once Ryan is ready is... it's the same discussion we had with Brule and Brassard.

Jackets are going to need both of them, though, especially this year, although I find relying on Johansen for regular duty, let along top 6 duty, unappealing.

Trade for a top 6 center, then trade away Pahlsson.

New center
Brassard
Vermette
Johansen splits time with D-Mac

Old
05-08-2011, 08:14 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
As to the OP's question of will be the better #1 - assuming he means "ultimately" - i'll go with Johansen, seeing as we have now a decent book on Brassard (although he is still young). What sucks about the follow-up notion of Brass is best-suited the second-line once Ryan is ready is... it's the same discussion we had with Brule and Brassard.

Jackets are going to need both of them, though, especially this year, although I find relying on Johansen for regular duty, let along top 6 duty, unappealing.

Trade for a top 6 center, then trade away Pahlsson.

New center
Brassard
Vermette
Johansen splits time with D-Mac
We must take or a g-man, a d-man or a center. We had problems not with forwards but with kick-in / I know it is not right word/ from defense. Plus Mason was unsteady. Similar Garon. See Philladelphia and Boston. Philla has better defensmen than Boston but Boston has Thomas, players believe him and thanks to it their defense is better. Phillas d-men were nervous because g-men were tragical. If Mason would our support our defense would be more better because players would believe more. That is why I say the most important is g-man!!!

Old
05-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If you mean we sucked less.. Sure... Not sure that says a whole lot about Brass however.
I think you're forgetting how good this team (in terms of wins-losses) was until the wheels fell off. I'm not attributing the nosedive in our season completely to Brassard getting injured, but I think it had a larger impact than many around here acknowledge.