HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
i had just never heard it, what's it mean? I'm assuming it's a knock on the the stereotypical Italian guys you see yelling at TVs at the track all the time?
No, not at all. My interpretation is people who look for trends but generally discard favorites. Insiders, experts, that type of thing who generally look for something along those lines.

In this instance, the horse was training well leading up to the race.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old
05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
That's ****ing harsh, and all too typical of twitter.

That was a great race. Bodemiester had a great lead and then that come back was just really fun to watch. Not sure of the odds but whoever bet Bodemiester to place at least got something. I have a feeling this means no triple crown winner this year but who knows.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Randy Moss had 11 horses as potential winners.

I narrowed my list to five: 3, 6, 10, 15 and 19. The post was a factor, however. Live and learn.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
No, not at all. It's for people who look for trends but generally discard favorites. Insiders, experts, that type of thing who generally look for something along those lines.
Ah gotcha, thanks.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:50 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Damn, I shouldve bet! I picked Bodemeister, Dullahan, and Alpha in my family's game. 2nd and 3rd! I dont know much about horse racing, but I assume I wouldve won some money, right?

Old
05-05-2012, 05:51 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Pretty cool to see a guy who I've seen race live many times at Hastings Park show up as a complete unknown and win. The guy was money at Hastings. Who knew he'd ride such a perfect race in his first Derby from an awful post?

Pretty awesome.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children

Quote:

I narrowed my list to five: 3, 6, 10, 15 and 19. The post was a factor, however. Live and learn.
Same boat, I had it trimmed down to 5, 6, 10, 14, 19. For some reason I just said, "19 never wins, good enough of a reason for me"

This hurts haha

Old
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Damn, I shouldve bet! I picked Bodemeister, Dullahan, and Alpha in my family's game. 2nd and 3rd! I dont know much about horse racing, but I assume I wouldve won some money, right?
I don't think there is a bet strictly for 2nd and 3rd as one bet. There are ways you could have done that but probably wouldn't have been worth your money outside of simple place and show bets

Old
05-05-2012, 05:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Depends on which bet you made. It is possible to pick a winner but still lose in an exacta bet (meaning, the horse you picked for second finishes third or worse). If you played Bodemeister "across-the-board" that means to finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd, you would have won the prices he paid for 2nd and 3rd place since he finished second. If you played him to win only, you would have lost.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't think there is a bet strictly for 2nd and 3rd as one bet. There are ways you could have done that but probably wouldn't have been worth your money outside of simple place and show bets
I have much to learn. How does betting usually work then?

Old
05-05-2012, 06:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

I probably had him in my 2nd group, if one exists. I was up around 11-12 as possible winners too. Very good class this year, too bad that means no Triple Crown winner though

Quote:
I have much to learn. How does betting usually work then?
If you would have had to just pick those horses to pick 2nd and 3rd, you would have had to do a trifecta wheel and just pick everyone else to finish 1st, which would have the girl on the other side of the ticket window giving you funny looks.

I was surprised Bodemeister went that fast and held on as long as he did. Those were hot fractions and he was still around at the end, the main contenders got hung up behind him though. Union Rags got caught up stopped, and did well to finish 7th.

Went the Day Well will be around at Belmont.

Old
05-05-2012, 06:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
I probably had him in my 2nd group, if one exists. I was up around 11-12 as possible winners too. Very good class this year, too bad that means no Triple Crown winner though
This was a difficult race to handicap. Sometimes, there's confidence in a pick (Afleet Alex) that fails, sometimes there's confidence that is met (Street Sense and others) but today was filled with various possibilities and second-guessing.

Old
05-05-2012, 06:27 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

I've never seen a horse lead a good % of the race and win in the end. As they were coming down the turn my mother and I both agreed he was just running too much gas. But all in all still a good race. Still wish there weren't 20 horses on the field, but I guess that's just something to get used to.

Old
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children

Quote:

If you would have had to just pick those horses to pick 2nd and 3rd, you would have had to do a trifecta wheel and just pick everyone else to finish 1st, which would have the girl on the other side of the ticket window giving you funny looks.

I was surprised Bodemeister went that fast and held on as long as he did. Those were hot fractions and he was still around at the end, the main contenders got hung up behind him though. Union Rags got caught up stopped, and did well to finish 7th.

Went the Day Well will be around at Belmont.
After seeing the replay, agreed - Dullahan too.

Though after that performance Bodemeister's connections should be drooling over the Preakness

Old
05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I've never seen a horse lead a good % of the race and win in the end. As they were coming down the turn my mother and I both agreed he was just running too much gas. But all in all still a good race. Still wish there weren't 20 horses on the field, but I guess that's just something to get used to.
The jockey is one of the best but I was thinking back to when he was on a horse I played in 1996 called Unbridled's Song. Though not the same type of a race, I was thinking of the 1996 Derby during today's stretch race. Same trainer finished in second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5JRxVWmtg

But here is a horse that won wire-to-wire that I did have (1994 Derby):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIDju...eature=related

Old
05-05-2012, 06:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Sidney Crosby is apparently in the house. Would've been nice if NBC could have gotten to him.
Twice there were references to the other three major leagues. Once Laffit Pincay asked Jerry Bailey "The NBA, NFL and MLB (in his own words) all have Commissioners, do you think horse racing needs a central body?" I think it was Costas who referenced the other three leagues in that athletes (Elway, Jordan and a baseball player) who can lose but get second chances unlike the Derby where it is one chance. Yup, would have been nice if either mentioned hockey especially being on NBC.

Old
05-05-2012, 06:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I said this in November:

Quote:
I don't think that next year's Kentucky Derby winner ran in this race.

Wish I thought more about that field, then.

Quote:
Twice there were references to the other three major leagues. Once Laffit Pincay asked Jerry Bailey "The NBA, NFL and MLB (in his own words) all have Commissioners, do you think horse racing needs a central body?" I think it was Costas who referenced the other three leagues in that athletes (Elway, Jordan and a baseball player) who can lose but get second chances unlike the Derby where it is one chance. Yup, would have been nice if either mentioned hockey especially being on NBC.
Costas did mention Bettman earlier on

Old
05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Unbridled's Song was such a beauty of a horse.

And yeah I think some trainers/jockeys they just have it in their head to go full speed. While it'll work sometimes, I'm not exactly the biggest fan. Though to be fair it may be because like I noted, of all the times I've been to races here and in Oaklawn I've never seen it work live. But I guess it is a toss up type of thing. Push hard or possibly get stuck in the pack.

And since I am the Pens fan around here:

Yup, he was there again.

Old
05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Mike Smith said he got him a breather, but he really could have been lone speed if Trinniberg wasn't in the race

Old
05-05-2012, 07:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Speaking of Unbridled's Song and the memory, just saw this note on Bloodhorse:

Quote:
Bodemeister spurted away from his rivals after six furlongs in a blistering 1:09.80--the co-fourth fastest six furlongs in Derby history--and came into the stretch with a sizable lead after a mile in 1:35.19. Only Spend a Buck (1985), Kauai King ('66), Unbridled's Song ('96), and Congaree (2001) have run faster miles in the Derby.
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz1u2ntkVFA

Old
05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Big Poppa Puck
U JUST MADE THE LIST

I had Bodemeister, Dullahan and Went The Day Well all to win and in a trifecta.

They finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th. , :,

Old
05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Valrico Gold

I'll Have Another has triple crown style.

Unfortunately, he looked real tired walking back, but here's a horse who capable of front running 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 furlong races, while striding out beautifully on the line of a 1 1/4 mile race.

Hopefully, he'll draw well for the Preakness.

As for the race.
Talk about a letter perfect trip for the winner. All credit due to rider Gutierrez, who broke him quickly, acquired a position that lost little ground into the 1st turn, got him to relax while racing alone on the backstretch. Real nice ride.

He was certainly no fluke. He cruised up to Creative Cause in the Santa Anita Derby and outgamed him. The post was the only concern.

As for the rest.
Bodimeister ran his eyeballs out with a blistering 1:09.4 pace. That had to take alot out of him.
Dullahan and Went The Day Well closed resolutely.
Creative Cause had no excuse.
Union Rags had a rough trip.
Hansen left his race in the post parade as he was extremely agitated.
Gemologist and Take Charge Indy made middle moves and faded.
Alpha walked onto the track wearing front bandages?????? I'm sure that guy with the $100,000 bet loved that. Jeez, why would they run an unsound horse?

Old
05-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
I'll Have Another has triple crown style.

Unfortunately, he looked real tired walking back, but here's a horse who capable of front running 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 furlong races, while striding out beautifully on the line of a 1 1/4 mile race.

Hopefully, he'll draw well for the Preakness.

As for the race.
Talk about a letter perfect trip for the winner. All credit due to rider Gutierrez, who broke him quickly, acquired a position that lost little ground into the 1st turn, got him to relax while racing alone on the backstretch. Real nice ride.

He was certainly no fluke. He cruised up to Creative Cause in the Santa Anita Derby and outgamed him. The post was the only concern.

As for the rest.
Bodimeister ran his eyeballs out with a blistering 1:09.4 pace. That had to take alot out of him.
Dullahan and Went The Day Well closed resolutely.
Creative Cause had no excuse.
Union Rags had a rough trip.
Hansen left his race in the post parade as he was extremely agitated.
Gemologist and Take Charge Indy made middle moves and faded.
Alpha walked onto the track wearing front bandages?????? I'm sure that guy with the $100,000 bet loved that. Jeez, why would they run an unsound horse?
Didn't Alpha cut his shin up something awful at the Wood? Were they just trying to avoid that again?

Old
05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-homicide?lite

None of the horses got hurt, so I guess someone decided that a human being was needed to compensate

Old
05-06-2012, 03:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I had Bodemeister, Dullahan and Went The Day Well all to win and in a trifecta.

They finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th. , :,
That's why you just go with WPS whenever you pick someone to win. You still get the money if they place or show.

Closed Thread