HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 09:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Kentucky Derby changes it's qualifying system:

http://www.anddownthestretchtheycome...ying#storyjump

I haven't seen how that would have resulted in this year, but without looking it seems that:

-Great 2YO's don't get a free pass, especially if they're maxing out at 9 furlongs.

-Fillies are going to have to run against the boys before the Derby, likely needing to win one of the major preps, if not more.

-You probably can't be a maiden in February and make it to the Derby.

It's probably the other side of the extreme we already had. I don't like the old system, but I also don't like trainers having to be manipulated by a system

Last edited by GKJ: 06-15-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old
06-16-2012, 10:32 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1445
^ I saw some of the comments earlier in the week. Baffert seemed most opposed to the new system. On the other hand, Larry Jones approved. I'd have to go back and check but I think Street Sense remains the lone Breeders Cup Juvie winner to duplicate the feat in the Derby.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

He was, but winning the Tampa Bay Derby and 2nd in the Blue Grass, he likely still would have made it.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Johnny V injured in a spill in CD9

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...hurchill-spill

Old
06-17-2012, 08:40 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Broken collarbone for Johnny V. He's resilient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first post of this thread has been updated to included NBC's planned coverage of the Spa this summer including "Woodward Stakes (G1) and Forego Stakes (G1), 5-6 p.m. EDT Saturday, September 1, NBC." That night is also Alabama vs. Michigan in college football.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...e.cgi?id=29519

The Mother Goose:

Quote:
In addition to Believe You Can and Broadway's Alibi, the Mother Goose is expected to attract Contested and Zo Impressive, first and second in the Grade 1 Acorn on Memorial Day, according to NYRA stakes coordinator Andrew Byrnes.

"(The Mother Goose) looks like a good one, with the top four or five fillies in the country," Jones said. "We've never ducked anybody, otherwise we never would have been in the Kentucky Oaks."

Todd Pletcher will wait until after Broadway's Alibi and Disposablepleasure breeze on Sunday before he makes a final decision on whether he runs either or possibly both fillies in the Mother Goose.

"If they both breeze as well as they did last Sunday, there's a good chance we'll run them both, but we'll see," the trainer said.

Pletcher pondered starting Broadway's Alibi, a hard-fought second in the Kentucky Oaks, in the Acorn but decided to await the Mother Goose.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-30-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
puckyeah

vCash: 500
Black Caviar in a few minutes on TVG, going for 22 in a row. The wonder horse from down under going to race at Royal Ascot.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Black Caviar gets it done in spite of her jockey completely trying to **** **** up

Old
06-23-2012, 04:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Believe You Can comes up completely empty in the Mother Goose, but it was at Belmont, so she was still 3rd.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Eddie Delahoussaye gets a race named after him:

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-delah...nd-stakes-name

Quote:
They don’t, “they” in this case being the management team at Santa Anita Park, where department heads are busy trying to rename the major events of the fall meeting once operated by the Oak Tree Racing Association. The opening day of the 2012 meet, topped by Breeders’ Cup XXIX on Nov. 2-3, now will be headlined by the $100,000 Eddie D. Stakes at 6 1/2 furlongs on the hillside turf course.

For those who are wondering, the Sept. 28 Eddie D. replaces the old Morvich Handicap in name only and covers the same distance over the same ground as the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint. It is also a Grade 3 event, making it a viable prep for horses who either want a test run over the course or a chance to make the field. Or both. California Flag, the ageless gray, has won three of the last four runnings of the Morvich and might even show up for the first running of the Eddie D.

Before the name passes into history, it also should be remembered that Morvich was the nation’s leading 2-year-old of 1921 when he won all 11 of his starts. In his first start of 1922 he became the first California-bred winner of the Kentucky Derby.
GKJ: I asked someone about your question pertaining to the lack of a stakes race named after Seattle Slew. The person thought it interesting, inquired, and was told there is an ungraded race named after Slew. No further info was mentioned.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226406958515

Black Caviar tears two muscles and has 'severe bruising' in her hind quarters.

One thing I loved about the British commentators was that immediately when the race was done, they talked about all the other British horses that would crush her in a race.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226406958515

Black Caviar tears two muscles and has 'severe bruising' in her hind quarters.

One thing I loved about the British commentators was that immediately when the race was done, they talked about all the other British horses that would crush her in a race.
allright, I was guessing something had happened to black caviar, those other horses were far worse than her, hope she has a good recovery.

Frankel put on an unreal show, out of this world this horse, unbeatable:

Old
07-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

As if this Parise **** wasn't enough of a kick in the balls, I had looked at the nominations for the G2 Monmouth Cup on Saturday the other day. Shackleford was listed, as was Flat Out, along with home town boys Ruler on Ice and Pants on Fire! None of them are entered. Field of 6 and it'll be nice to see Rule and Ponzi Scheme but still, could've been an epic mile event:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...0120707-510706

The G1 UN Stakes has potential though, Mile and 3/8ths on the turf, longest race at Monmouth all year I think. Get Serious was nominated but instead chose to win the G3 Red Bank for the 3rd year in a row, and paid a nice price too, 12 and change! Brilliant Speed is the name that sticks out to me, along with Freud's Honor and Al Khali

Old
07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

July 7 data:

Hollywood:Monmouth:Calder:

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-06-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old
07-07-2012, 03:17 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
Jockey Jorge Herrera was injured at Alameda County Fair(Pleasanton) Thursday, July 5th and passed away the next day. Something you always fear when a horse goes down but pray doesn't happen.

I was amazed to read he was the 11th jockey killed since 2001 and the 152nd since 1940.

R.I.P Jorge.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Mucho Macho Man looked great today at Belmont, glad I backed him!

Also hit the Pick 4 at Monmouth , very chalky but finally caught a price in the final leg in a 5,000 claimer, Kathleen's Halo at 5-1. Knew Pletcher and Bravo were a good combo but didn't think they'd take both the Monmouth Cup and the United Nations, and Rule at 5-2?? Okay then!

I've been on a tear this year, just haven't gotten out as much as I liked, didn't even stay at the park today, just stopped on my way over to my folks' house to throw my pick 4 ticket and some other bets in, even put my bets from the Survival game in and those all hit! Sitting in decent spot in that too - 46 out of 5,000 plus

Old
07-08-2012, 09:52 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Jersey Joe went 2-for-2 for me.

http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index...outh_park.html

Quote:
In the small corner of Southwest Ranches, Fla., are the P&G Stables owned by Nerina Morales and Hernando Gutierrez that only two thoroughbreds call home.

And now, one of them is headed to the Breeders’ Cup Championships.

In just his fourth career turf race, Turbo Compressor earned a wire-to-wire victory in the Grade I United Nations Stakes today at Monmouth Park.

The $500,000, 13⁄8-mile turf race is part of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series “Win and You’re In,” meaning that Turbo Compressor has automatically qualified for the 2012 Breeders’ Cup Turf on Nov. 3 at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif.

“This is unbelievable,” said Morales, who co-owns the 4-year-old son of Halo’s Image with her husband and another stable, Off the Hook. “I knew he was good and he could do it. But oh, God. He’s really the best.”

Turbo Compressor, ridden by Jersey-born jockey Joe Bravo, grabbed the lead out of the gate and set a comfortable pace, saving enough energy to out-run closers.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Jockey Jorge Herrera was injured at Alameda County Fair(Pleasanton) Thursday, July 5th and passed away the next day. Something you always fear when a horse goes down but pray doesn't happen.

I was amazed to read he was the 11th jockey killed since 2001 and the 152nd since 1940.

R.I.P Jorge.
I didn't realize it was that many in recent times. The major tracks have avoided this, aside from Rene Douglas being paralyzed.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Forget seeing Union Rags @ Monmouth. He is temporarily sidelined.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/10...ith-minor.html

Quote:
Belmont Stakes winner Union Rags will be sidelined for the rest of his 3-year-old season after being diagnosed with a tendon injury.

Russell Jones, bloodstock adviser to owner/breeder Phyllis Wyeth, said in a statement that trainer Michael Matz called it "a minor tendon injury," and that Wyeth is evaluating plans.

Union Rags was being pointed toward the Grade I Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on July 29 where he was likely to face fellow Grade I winners Bodemeister and Dullahan.

Union Rags, a son of Dixie Union, worked 5 furlongs in a bullet 1:00.60 Friday at Matz's Fair Hill Training Center.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Is it me or every year one of the top Haskell horses withdraws?

Old
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Is it me or every year one of the top Haskell horses withdraws?
The races sometimes blend and I am drawing a blank. Who you thinking?

Baffert/Garcia won the last two and then Rachel and Big Brown the prior two years. Pretty big names nonetheless.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's almost inevitable that the winner of the Belmont gets hurt or simply disappears. Drosselmeyer dropped off the face of the Earth and then showed up at the Breeders' Cup a year later as a forgotten horse, about the only one recent who did anything after winning the Belmont.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Nice recovery by Garrett Gomez. Switch reclaims her glory.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/trip...ought-g2-gleam

Quote:
Switch finally made her way back into the winner's circle on Saturday when running down six rivals in the Grade 2, $200,000 A Gleam Handicap at Hollywood Park. The John Sadler pupil hadn't scored since taking the Grade 1 Santa Monica in January 2011, but pulled out a 1 3/4-length victory Saturday to stop the clock for seven Cushion Track furlongs in 1:24 1/5.

Despite the long dry spell, Switch was sent off the 2-1 favorite under jockey Garrett Gomez, who immediately let his mount settle in last after being crowded at the start. Izzy Rules led the way through splits of :22 1/5 and :45 while closing tracked by American Lady and Sugarinthemorning on the backstretch.
A replay of the race -- http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-sadlers-smile

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-14-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old
07-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The races sometimes blend and I am drawing a blank. Who you thinking?

Baffert/Garcia won the last two and then Rachel and Big Brown the prior two years. Pretty big names nonetheless.
Well now Bodemeister is gone:

http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index...ture_race.html

And I'm not meaning the top runners, just one of the contenders it seems.

But last year Animal Kingdom was hurt and missed, Drosselmeyer pointed towards it, probably was going to go to the Travers - but he got hurt, if I go further back I'm sure I could find others. Part of it I'm sure is because it's such a big race so late in the season that you look at every top 3 TC finisher and then some, plus the local horses who win the local preps like the Long Branch and point to it.....that just the nature of the game, with all the runners you could look to - one or two will get hurt and miss it.

That said, here's the list of invites that went out:

http://www.monmouthpark.com/haskell/news.aspx?id=6244

Still some solid names....Dullahan, My Adonis, Good Morning Diva, and Le Bernardin have already accepted. Went the Day Well, Hansen and Gemologist I'm not sure what they're doing, but it'll still be a great race.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 876
Playing sick at work tomorrow to head down to opening day at Del Mar. Haven't been to opening day since my grandpa was alive. Have a snazzy hat to wear, can't wait.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Add to the scenery:

Closed Thread