HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2011, 06:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
What's he doing in Turkey?

Old
05-07-2011, 06:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Do they have this Trackus stuff online yet?

Old
05-07-2011, 06:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What's he doing in Turkey?
He's been there a while. His stud fee was low despite winning the Derby. There was a group, including Zito's wife, who wanted to bring him back to the States after the Ferdinand debacle. But they were assured, I guess, that the horse was fine despite some ornery rumors that he could meet a brutal fate.

Old
05-07-2011, 06:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Do they have this Trackus stuff online yet?
This site? http://www.trakus.com/

Old
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
So they have it all, you just can't re-watch races with it unless you're watching the race already

Old
05-07-2011, 07:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
So they have it all, you just can't re-watch races with it unless you're watching the race already
Where did you hear of this site?

Old
05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

$500K Pick 6 carryover at Churchill. Of course.

Quote:
Where did you hear of this site?
The one you linked. I know places like Woodbine, Keeneland and Del Mar had it, but then VS and NBC was showing what looks like video game graphics where you could watch the trips the horses had.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I asked towards the end of the last thread but Equibase overhauled its website. Must have been in the last few days?

http://www.equibase.com/

Old
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Looks useable now. And they have videos to all the stakes races available. I just watched the Turf Paradise Derby.

That's another thing, unless I'm missing it, they need to have all races from all tracks readily available, and it would help if they would just all be on YouTube.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Tomorrow in the 8th over at the hell hole known as Parx, there is a horse named Sean Avery. And it's a stakes race named after Sunday Silence. Which is strange.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

vCash: 500
I did better on the 10th than the Derby, saw one of my favs Get Stormy was running courtesy of my Virtual Stable, made it to Monmouth with about 3 mins til post to get a bet down, won 130 on that.

I just did 20 to WP on Nehro, 88 bucks not bad at all.

The Mrs, on my way out the door goes, Give me 2 across on....who's number 16. Which is funny because she usually is as good a handicapper as me, but she hadn't looked at the race and all and just picked a number.

Hope you guys did well, and I hope I can catch a replay of it later - we are still moving so I was gettin the last of the stuff out of our old apt, ran down to the bar to watch the race, came back and now I'm finally out of my apt. Good day.

My friend had 30 bucks to win on Animal Kingdom, lucky SOB.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @Corey_Nakatani: Well settle for 2nd today! So close, I'll be back next year! Believe that!!

Julien Leparoux is on Twitter too, but he hasn't said anything yet today

Old
05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Toblerone
RIP Hickstead

Quote:
He's been there a while. His stud fee was low despite winning the Derby. There was a group, including Zito's wife, who wanted to bring him back to the States after the Ferdinand debacle. But they were assured, I guess, that the horse was fine despite some ornery rumors that he could meet a brutal fate.
I only heard about the Ferdinand thing today, and was fairly shocked...especially since he was a Derby winning stallion. Did he have a sort of ailment that he needed to be put down? It's so sad what happens to so many race horses, even ones that win.

Strike the Gold looked fantastic, reminded me of my own 23 year old TB tearing around the field like a 3 year old

Old
05-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Valrico Gold

Well, just got back from dinner and watched it again.

What can you say?
Animal Kingdom was 1st or 2nd in all 4 races, had 6 weeks off, with no dirt experience. Hard to like, but should not have been 20-1. I should've at least made him the dark horse.

Nehro moved way too soon in a game effort, especially holding off an impressive finishing Mucho Macho, who will be a handful in the Preakness.
Shakleford set some easy fractions and held determinely.

Dialed In had no speed and showed his low numbers coming in were just that.

The rest had no apparent execuses.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
Good!

Now is Archarcharch your pick Miami?
I just saw this post, the reason for my delayed response.

I didn't like the #1 position, same reason why I avoided Lookin at Lucky last year. Any other post position, and likely I would have chosen Archarcharch. I went with Borel as the sentimental pick as part of a tri, with the eventual Place and Show finishers, but really didn't have a strong opinion as to a winner. I mentioned to a friend yesterday that almost any horse, except Watch Me Go and Animal Kingdom (lack of knowledge on my part) could win and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Asmussen said that while Nehro was a bit sharp, they wanted him up close so that he wouldn't get shuffled back.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
I only heard about the Ferdinand thing today, and was fairly shocked...especially since he was a Derby winning stallion. Did he have a sort of ailment that he needed to be put down? It's so sad what happens to so many race horses, even ones that win.

Strike the Gold looked fantastic, reminded me of my own 23 year old TB tearing around the field like a 3 year old
There were mysterious events that led to his death. He was sold to a Japanese dealer and eventually his whereabouts were unknown. If you want to read further, there are details within this Bloodhorse report but the specifics might be unsettling:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...inand?id=17051

Old
05-08-2011, 08:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Comma to the Top is sidelined with a chipped ankle. He'll be out of training for 2 months.

This is the only thing I could find with Rosie after the race. Everyone wanted to talk to her before the race, but I guess not after.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/429457...-horse_racing/

Last edited by GKJ: 05-08-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old
05-08-2011, 04:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Midnight Interlude, Mucho Macho Man and Shackleford all plan to go to the Preakness. Dialed In will as well, if he wins he gets an extra $5.5M. Possibly Santiva as well.

Nehro not sure, but probably going straight to the Belmont.

Pants On Fire bled and will wait for the Haskell.

New shooters include Sway Away, Astrology, and Norman Asbjornson.

Old
05-08-2011, 04:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
This is the only thing I could find with Rosie after the race. Everyone wanted to talk to her before the race, but I guess not after.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/429457...-horse_racing/
The story lines are transparent and recycled which attempt to entice the casual observer. Whether it's hats, celeb picks, or otherwise. To Rosie's credit, she didn't play the role of superhero. She probably realizes that once the bright lights of NBC are dimmed, she returns to being another jock on the circuit.

There were plenty of opportunities to emphasize the life of the jock. One terrific story is Garrett Gomez and the Breeders Cup from last season. From ambulance to upset winner in a matter of hours. There could have been an attractive piece done on him, one that could show the pitfalls and glamour of the occupation.

And what about Jon Court. 30,000 rides and his first Derby at age 50? Why wasn't that featured to a much larger degree?

While Johnny V taking over the reins for Albarado was mentioned, it deserved more attention.

And there should have been conversation on horses like The Factor and To Honor and Serve especially because this field was so weak compared to prior seasons. There wasn't an Afleet Alex or Barbaro or Big Brown entering the race but that shouldn't have prevented the crew from doing more.

Old
05-08-2011, 05:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I know they talked about Johnny V-Albarado to great length on VS' post-race show.

I wasn't a huge fan of how Rosie was portrayed either. It's obviously much easier to like her because she's a girl, but it seemed there wasn't much credit to her being a really good jockey, and that was more of the other idiots than the usual faces we're used to seeing.

Old
05-08-2011, 06:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
I know they talked about Johnny V-Albarado to great length on VS' post-race show.

I wasn't a huge fan of how Rosie was portrayed either. It's obviously much easier to like her because she's a girl, but it seemed there wasn't much credit to her being a really good jockey, and that was more of the other idiots than the usual faces we're used to seeing.
That's where it gets dicey in these matters. There is a desire to expose the sport to casual fans through the TV market. The belief, presumably, is that devout racing fans are watching from the local track, maybe a destination like Vegas, or some other place that allows betting; however, a large segment of the TV audience needs to be enticed through gimmicks. The sport's fans will deal with the recycled discussion about hats - the same piece that aired Friday during the Oaks, then on Versus Saturday and then on NBC later in the day because eventually the races happen. Others who watch the Triple Crown races or maybe just the Derby need a magnet. Probably the same with the Super Bowl and its pregame show because some viewers may watch that one NFL game a year and are attracted to secondary elements.

What's the saying about the Triple Crown races? One is a circus, one is a carnival and one is a horse race.

Old
05-08-2011, 06:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

That saying is true. They made it sound like he found herself plopped on a Derby Horse out of the blue, but I don't want to be too critical of that because she kind of was.

A couple of other things:

Larry Collmus was very good for his first Derby, much better than Tom Durkin had been doing the last few years where it seemed like 19-20 horses was too much. He naturally sounds like he gets a bit too wild, but the moment wasn't too big.

All horses pretty much had a clean trip. There's almost always a few, maybe 3 or 4, that get caught in traffic because there's too many horses, or they're backing up.

Edit: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...tarters-policy

Looks like they want to put in an AE system. Lovely.

Last edited by GKJ: 05-08-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old
05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Change of subject for a moment.

The 1989 Preakness is a classic. Pat Day got much grief for this ride.

Maybe the second best rivalry in the sport's history.

And a terrific call.

Old
05-08-2011, 07:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Is the Pimlico Special being run this year?

Closed Thread