HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ramo signing a 2 years contract in the KHL

Old
05-02-2011, 11:41 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Desjardins is not exactly 21 years old. Yes, no NHL experience but I will start to underestimate what a veteran goalie brings when there's actually 10ish teams who didn't think he was worth keeping in the past years. Of course, if you can't give me a better vet, I wouldn't mind.

But while I'm obviously not comparing both, you can also give me a Anders Lindback, and it would also work.
I think that's unfair...Alex Auld was miscast for the better part of his career as a #1 goalie, but as a backup, he's more than reliable. And if he moves on, then i'm sure the habs will be able to find another veteran goalie to play the same type of role and I don't think Desjardins would of fit into that role...

So it's a moot point if you ask me, whether or not Desjardins would still be part of the Habs organization, he likely wouldn't have beeen the backup this year nor would he be heading into next season.

You have to remember, the Bolts weren't exactly the picture of stability in nets this year, yet, Desjardins only saw time on an emergency status and wasnt even the clear cut starter with Norfolk either (Tokarski got most of the starts).

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
As for the Sanford/McIntyre situation, the Hamilton Bulldogs goalie situation will play itself out...it's really the least of my concerns when it comes to Habs heading into next year.
It's just an interrogation. It is the summer....you know that as Habs fans, we will talk about the Dogs 13th forward....and maybe Wheeling's #2 goalie...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It's just an interrogation. It is the summer....you know that as Habs fans, we will talk about the Dogs 13th forward....and maybe Wheeling's #2 goalie...
lol true...

Old
05-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think that's unfair...Alex Auld was miscast for the better part of his career as a #1 goalie, but as a backup, he's more than reliable. And if he moves on, then i'm sure the habs will be able to find another veteran goalie to play the same type of role and I don't think Desjardins would of fit into that role...

So it's a moot point if you ask me, whether or not Desjardins would still be part of the Habs organization, he likely wouldn't have beeen the backup this year nor would he be heading into next season.

You have to remember, the Bolts weren't exactly the picture of stability in nets this year, yet, Desjardins only saw time on an emergency status and wasnt even the clear cut starter with Norfolk either (Tokarski got most of the starts).
Okay so out of the UFA goalies....is Auld your #1 pick? If not, you are about to do the same thing that those teams did. I know that if I'd be satisfied with my #2, I'd keep him AND I'd give him more games than he had this year. As strong as Price is, you have to wonder what kind of answer Price did when he was asked about how he was used this year. He did say something like "Well, we'll surely talk about it and see in what direction we're headed". I know that if I would not have minded it, I would have already stated that I had no problem with my icetime this year, that it's exactly what I wanted, even if it's the decision of the coach, fatigue was NOT a problem....or something like that. That's not what I heard or didn't hear....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:53 AM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
well ****
that trade worked out well hahah
insurance. if price has **** the bed then they'd have had a chance to offer a contract.

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:59 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
insurance. if price has **** the bed then they'd have had a chance to offer a contract.
Plus Desjardins was going UFA at the end of the year (now), while we have Ramo's rights until June 2014.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Okay so out of the UFA goalies....is Auld your #1 pick? If not, you are about to do the same thing that those teams did. I know that if I'd be satisfied with my #2, I'd keep him AND I'd give him more games than he had this year. As strong as Price is, you have to wonder what kind of answer Price did when he was asked about how he was used this year. He did say something like "Well, we'll surely talk about it and see in what direction we're headed". I know that if I would not have minded it, I would have already stated that I had no problem with my icetime this year, that it's exactly what I wanted, even if it's the decision of the coach, fatigue was NOT a problem....or something like that. That's not what I heard or didn't hear....
I'm not quite sure how the UFA situation looks like for goalies...Auld could be brought back, or the Habs could choose to look in another direction. Again, i'm not particularily concerned because the success of the Habs starts and ends with Carey Price in nets, so i'd be more concerned with finding the 'right fit' for a goalie tandem. Ideally, I would like it to be Auld again or someone with Auld's make up who doesn't mind sitting for long periods of time but that can perform when called upon (and Auld the few times he was called up held his own IMO).

Regardless though, Cedrick Desjardins, whether he was a Hab or not...was/is not going to be one of the options to back up Price next year. So it's a moot point for me.

Old
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Wasn't really expecting him to come over, sucks we probably won't be able to trade him either

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:29 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Kind of not surprised. Would be smarter for his career, I would think, to sign a one year deal here in hopes of getting 20-25 starts and then if need be ask for a trade. But I guess the extra money, which would likely be a lot more then being a backup to Price, won out.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I love how Desjardins suddenly turned into a TOP PROSPECT as soon as he was traded. He spent basically all year AHL despite the fact taht TB's goaltending sucked at the NHL level.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I love how Desjardins suddenly turned into a TOP PROSPECT as soon as he was traded. He spent basically all year AHL despite the fact taht TB's goaltending sucked at the NHL level.
It's because he's a goalie that is from our "own backyard" and speaks QC.

And yes I know he's from Edmunston NB but that's basically QC anyway.

This is not trolling, if you want proof go look up the Trade Thread

Last edited by Bunka Gurndeep: 05-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Not The One

Quote:
I love how Ramo suddenly turned in a TOP ASSET as soon as he was traded. He spent all year on an other continent and was under contract to another team but still... what a great trade.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
I love how Ramo suddenly turned in a TOP ASSET as soon as he was traded. He spent all year on an other continent and was under contract to another team but still... what a great trade.
Ramo has been a top goalie overseas while Desjardins couldn't even crack the NHL lineup on a terrible goalie roster

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Are we the organisation which is the most affected by KHL?

-Ramo
-Perezhogin
-Korneev
-Emelin

only 4, but 4 excellent players.

and we traded Valetenko to give that headache to someone else.
I think Alexander Radulov trumps all of those players. With an elite D-corps and what looks like an amazing young, goalie, Nashville is one star forward (such as Radulov) away from being a serious Cup contender.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Money > everything
Ignorance < everything

He has a great career and great life going on in Russia. I would be the dumbest thing to come over to play 10-15 games and take a significant pay reduction.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
Ramo has been a top goalie overseas while Desjardins couldn't even crack the NHL lineup on a terrible goalie roster
I think you mean couldn't even become the starter for the Lighting's AHL team.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Actually, he became a "top prospect" after the Halak trade officially promoted Price to definite "graduated" status, leaving Desjardins as - wait for it - the top goaltending prospect in the organization at the time. He was also one of the top goaltenders in the AHL in '09/10 after being an ECHL playoff MVP a couple of years before that, which also suggests he was a prospect on the rise. Also, Yzerman obviously didn't see this as a "rebuild" year (and rightfully so, looking at them now) so a rookie goaltender wasn't going to get significant time anyway. Why not let him develop and let the veterans under contract have one more chance at redemption?

Yzerman's Goaltending Flow Chart
1. Let veterans have one more chance.
2. Sign Rolosson when that fails.
?????
Profit.

Now, if Smith is still a TB Lightning next year and Desjardins is STILL down in the AHL for most of next year, then my expectations might have been too high. In the mean time though, you're just jumping to conclusions.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
7th Player

People seem to forget that he's an UFA at year end. The Habs can just sign Cedrick back if they want.
I just don't see that happening, they'll probably end up signing a vet back-up to help Price out (a la Auld)

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
My point was that his success in the KHL is worth nothing if he never plays for the Habs. I'd rather have a 7th round pick than Emelin and Perezhogin combined. Plus, Desjardin's replacement (Mayer) was a very dramatic downgrade.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Meh.

I would re-sign Auld to one more season (if he's content with only playing 12-15 games a year lol)

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
My point was that his success in the KHL is worth nothing if he never plays for the Habs. I'd rather have a 7th round pick than Emelin and Perezhogin combined. Plus, Desjardin's replacement (Mayer) was a very dramatic downgrade.
and Desjardins wasnt going to play for the Habs either.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
This, is entirely false.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:55 PM
TheBuriedHab

Can't really blame him. He was offered a contract to stay in russia and be a starter. If he comes over who knows what he becomes. Too bad, could have gotten something for him.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Megaforce

Hard to believe that Jagr, Perezogin and that 5'7" league scoring leader (31 goals) have all signed there.. have a look where it is on the map? We're talking somewhere near where Siberia meets Kazakhstan. Possibly one of the last places on earth I'd spend a winter.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:16 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Hard to believe that Jagr, Perezogin and that 5'7" league scoring leader (31 goals) have all signed there.. have a look where it is on the map? We're talking somewhere near where Siberia meets Kazakhstan. Possibly one of the last places on earth I'd spend a winter.
It is not worst then Winnipeg

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote