HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Completely "Off Topic" MegaThread III

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2011, 03:45 PM
DCRedhawk21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
If I may ask for some advice. How would you rank these business degrees in terms of job opportunity, job security, and salary:

-Finance
-Accounting
-Management
-Marketing
-Management Information Systems

- Management Information Systems
- Accounting (public)
- Finance
- Management and Accounting (private)
- Marketing

But it should depend on what you want to do and the program you attended (certain schools have highly ranked programs even within the business school, such as a highly respected accounting or MIS division). It's hard to just flat-out compare majors.

Old
05-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

MIS was always an afterthought for me, but I guess its something worth considering. Was debating between HR management and accounting. Still weighing the options, except for MKTG.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
MIS was always an afterthought for me, but I guess its something worth considering. Was debating between HR management and accounting. Still weighing the options, except for MKTG.
If you actually have a legitimate interest in accounting, it's a no brainer.

You'll always be in demand and you can find work in literally any field you happen to be interested in.

Old
05-15-2011, 10:24 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

While I'm not in the workforce yet as I just graduated judging by what jobs I've seen advertised MIS probably has the most potential to be a high paying salary job. Accounting gives you the best chance to find a job. Finance is pretty solid too. Marketing/Management will be the most difficult to land jobs.

HR I think as a field has pretty low pay comparatively. But you have to be a certain type of person to do accounting and you need to make sure it's for you before you go for it.

Old
05-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

I honestly don't mind accounting so much, but the thought of number crunching the rest of my life isn't appealing. Not to mention if you don't have a CPA license, you'll just be some second rate accountant.

Tough decision, I'll have to mull it over the summer.

Old
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
thanks guys & gals.....didn't do anything special, not into celebrations
hello darkness my old friend....

Old
05-16-2011, 03:52 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
I honestly don't mind accounting so much, but the thought of number crunching the rest of my life isn't appealing. Not to mention if you don't have a CPA license, you'll just be some second rate accountant.

I remember my Dad giving me advice as a kid that try very hard to find a job that you love but barring those lucky enough to find those to find one that you like or decently tolerate. However discovering music and other pursuits I realized that that my true loves and passions are outside of a 'day job' so to speak. Became much easier to look at jobs/careers in that sense.

05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

You'll always be in demand and you can find work in literally any field you happen to be interested in.
Agreed....same for IT really if you're good. Bean counter...../shudder...

Quote:

I couldn't imagine doing that myself...

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
05-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Cush
-inator

Sounds like Five-0 is is getting another season, which is good considering the way it ended. Also sounds like Masi Oka (Max the coroner) is being promoted to a regular cast member

Old
05-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Sounds like Five-0 is is getting another season, which is good considering the way it ended. Also sounds like Masi Oka (Max the coroner) is being promoted to a regular cast member
Best not to get attached to a show until it becomes syndicated, and maybe not even then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

However be prepared for the possibility of working ridiculous hours (In some cases 60+ on a regular basis). You'll frequently hear your Professors talking about what it takes to get a job with the Big 4 Accounting Firms which is all well and good but it's all to easy to find horror stories about people who took jobs with the Big 4, even from your Professors who are trying to sell you on working for one of the Big 4.

Basically the story goes like this (keep in mind this is not me, rather a summary of everything I've heard), I worked my ass off in college, got great grades, networked, went to awesome parties thrown by big 4 firms were they were hoping to recruit the best and brightest. Barely got the job, practically lived at the office doing repetitive boring task for 50+ hours a week. Never saw my friends, my Girlfriend/Boyfriend broke up with me. My entry level salary looked great on paper (usually around $45,000-$50,000) but when I factored in the hours I was putting in I was earning somewhere around $15-$20 an hour (I've seen some people say as low as $10 an hour.). Clients had ridiculous demands yet I had to cater to them or get chewed out by my bosses. Eventually got promoted after a year or two, left the Big 4 and got my pick of the liter with in house corporate jobs, even jobs that weren't in accounting, that offered better pay and better work/life balance.

That's not to say the Big 4 are to bad. My Uncle is a partner at one of the Big 4 and aside from a huge bank account he also gets great perks, most notably tickets to major sporting events (including the 2002 Final Four in Atlanta which he couldn't make and opened a spot for me to attend instead). However we recently watched home movies from when I was a kid back in the early 90's and another one of my Uncles kept making comments about how he needed to get out of the office more often. He's always been a heck of an Accountant though, received the highest score on the CPA Exam in Maryland the year he took it, so it's possible he was pegged as a partner from the start.

Also I don't know how valid it is but some accounting students used to talk about how they were scared of companies switching from GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) to International Accounting Standards which in theory would lead to many entry level jobs being outsourced to India. Of course it's just a theory, but also goes to show that if you want to be an accounting major you have to do it because you enjoy it, not just because it's a safe career choice. So hopefully I haven't scared off the OP, especially if Accounting is what he really wants to do, but at least now you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Also remember if you want to be a CPA you'll have to get a Masters Degree in most states. Which isn't as bad as you think since virtually every company will pay for you to get one. Certainly it's one of the benefits of being an Accountant.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 05-17-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old
05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

@Usiel: If I could pursue the job I love I'd be the GM of the Caps
Seriously its so cliche, but true. I don't want to make a mistake and end up doing a major/career choice that I'll end up regretting. I'll take my time in deciding.

@Dirtbag59: I've thought as much. I'll probably be worked to hell if I ever wanted to make it as a big-time accountant. Again I don't mind accounting for now, but can I stay as dedicated to it as I should, I have no clue.

Old
05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Getting my BA was more just about getting a BA since I was focused on music. And an English degree is sort of the generic all purpose degree and not specifically focused on a particular job and what not.

I did get an assistant editor job for a non-profit company as my first job (I don't count two weeks at Enterprise RentACar, hah) but it was grisly boring. Funny that the PC gamer nerd in me actually is what drove my actual career. Ended up a job for a satellite imagery company as a hybrid cust. serv./acct. mngmt/sales/tech support type job. Kinda like that dude from office space whose job it is to talk to the customers because the engineers don't know how to talk to customers, heheh.

Really loved geology and considered dual majoring but at that point I just wanted to be over and done with considering I didn't go full on till my mid 20s.

Last edited by usiel: 05-18-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old
05-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
@Usiel: If I could pursue the job I love I'd be the GM of the Caps
Seriously its so cliche, but true. I don't want to make a mistake and end up doing a major/career choice that I'll end up regretting. I'll take my time in deciding.

@Dirtbag59: I've thought as much. I'll probably be worked to hell if I ever wanted to make it as a big-time accountant. Again I don't mind accounting for now, but can I stay as dedicated to it as I should, I have no clue.
Yeah, just be careful with Accounting, I got drawn in with those intro level classes that saw me get two A's and a B. I remember thinking at that point "not only is this easy, but it's fun as well." Then I started taking the upper level classes and about a year or two later my GPA was shot to hell, to the point where I was put on academic probation. Of course I had health issues at the time that served as a huge distraction, but I'm inclined to think that I still would have barely squeaked by even if I had been healthy.

Anyway just don't major in History or Philosophy and you'll be fine, unless of course you're a gifted History/Philosophy student that wants to get his Masters and go on to be a professor which is a hell of a gig if you can get it. Great pay, amazing hours (One study suggested 15 hours a week in Ireland), and the fulfillment of teaching

Old
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I've got a history degree.

Heh.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If at all possible, do something you love doing. It helps if what you love doing is lucrative, of course.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If at all possible, do something you love doing. It helps if what you love doing is lucrative, of course.
This here is the key. I had an opportunity to go to law school, probably could have done well. I interned for a summer and hated it. Way too much research and office stuff, and that wasn't for me. I realize I could have gone a different direction in the field, but not really my cup of tea.

Ultimately, you have to do something that will make you at least content if not kinda happy.

But there are other factors that do play into it. If you've got a family to support and bills to pay, you certainly have to do what you need to do to pay for that.

With teaching, I'm certainly not in it for the money. But it also isn't like I'm making zippy. I, like pretty much everyone else, certainly wouldn't mind making more money. However, I'm not one to go shouting about how much I should or shouldn't earn. I'm more worried about keeping my job and getting a good pension than I am in simple raises. It is annoying when I signed a contract that said I would get the salary increase in step, and now I don't because of budget. But it is what it is. There are other counties in our state that are going to cut significant numbers of teachers. My sister is graduating this year with a teaching degree, and she might not find a good job. My school system is giving a slight raise, so, I'm happy with what I'm getting.

Honestly, as a teacher, I would be even better with the salary if the culture changed a bit. Ah well.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:31 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

I've decided that all the posters in this forum need to separate into two teams and play this game.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Preferably I'd like to work for the government. I find it interesting talking with some friends and others working for the government that they have the most random of degrees yet are employed by them. Degrees that have nothing to do with what they're doing now. All about who you know I presume.

@Chimaera: Random Q, are you teaching High School?

Old
05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I've decided that all the posters in this forum need to separate into two teams and play this game.

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano approve.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Can I assume that Red Team reached the apex of the caber first?

Love the guys who decide, "bah... I'm done," after a couple of minutes.

Love the helmets.

Love that the helmets are optional even more.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano approve.
One of MXC's best moments: "I have blood in my stool"

Old
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Game of Thrones was awesome this week. Loved the scene at the end with Ned and Jaime. Also the skirmish between The Mountain and The Dog....awesome....

This show is really picking up pace...

Old
05-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

pattonoswalt: Macho Man Randy Savage was the only one who could have fought the Rapture demons. And God took him. IT'S HAPPENING, PEOPLE!

RIP Macho Man.

Old
05-20-2011, 12:17 PM

via Twitter

According to Hennepin County Medical Examiner, Derek Boogaard's cause of death is mixed alcohol and oxycodone toxicity

KatieStrangNYI Katie Strang
by JapersRink

Old
05-20-2011, 12:40 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Closed Thread