HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Fisher: Markov's best bet is the KHL

Old
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Red Fisher: Markov's best bet is the KHL

As per Red Fisher and the Montreal Gazette, Markov will probably not take a pay cut to stay in Montreal and does not deserve the same salary or more until he put's together a healthy full season again,

Markov's best bet is the KHL!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...317/story.html

Quote:
MONTREAL - Once more, over lightly, now that the Canadiens have said adieu for the summer following their elimination by a better Boston Bruins team.

Thursday’s parting was a sombre affair, and if you happened to see the striking photo on Page 1 of this newspaper on Friday, most of the sadness was etched on the faces of the standing-room horde of media people.

As you’d expect, most of the Canadiens players suggested the future is bright in view of the growing maturity of the team’s young players. No surprise there. What else would you expect them to say?

All of them promised to work hard during the off-season. Sounds good. No point looking back on what could have been. Uh-huh.

However, the reality is that major decisions will have to be made.

Who among the unrestricted free agents stay? Who goes?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 05-02-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Next time don't quote the whole article.
WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Patrice Brisebois

If Montreal doesn't give him a decent offer, then one of the other 29 teams will. He doesn't need to go to the KHL to get it, and from I understand, he would never go to the KHL. I think people forget how good Markov really is.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Roke

I'm guessing Fisher hasn't taken a look at the UFA defenseman available. Even with injury concerns Markov is the best openly available defenseman available in the market (I don't see Lidstrom signing elsewhere). With LTIR allowing you to fill-in replacements in case of injury Markov's injury concerns probably won't affect his salary all that much.

I can see teams shying away from longer term contracts due to injuries, but the risk/reward calculation with Markov is set at a point where I think he gets at least as much as he made last season, if not more if he hits the open market.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Gary320

I respect Red Fisher alot, but I can't remember the last time I took anything he said (about Todays hockey.. both on and off the ice) seriously.

His best work lately was his special of the best Habs players during the 100th year celebration..

Honestly.. Markov KHL? After he's said so many times that he doesn't want too... the fact that he knows he will get a contract from another team for sure? Common.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Red Fisher should retire.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
ScottFC

And the award for dumbest article of the off season goes to..

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Anyone who thinks the Habs will not do everything they can to come to an agreement with Markov is really out to lunch.

The Habs want him back, he wants to stay...now they just need to work out a contract which works for both sides. It's a NO-BRAINER to re-sign Markov. If the Habs don't offer him money, another team(s) WILL. He's a world class player and players of his ability, aren't just forgotten about even if they've suffered alot of injuries.

When he does re-sign, there's going to be alot of complaints about the amount of money committed to a guy coming off multiple knee injuries, but I suspect by November/December, those complaints will disappear and be completely forgotten.

I'm probably biased when it comes to Markov, he's my fav player bar none...but I personally give him the benefit of the doubt, obviously he's going to have to make concessions if he wants to stay as well, but I see no reason why they both sides can't/won't come to an agreement.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
If Montreal doesn't give him a decent offer, then one of the other 29 teams will. He doesn't need to go to the KHL to get it, and from I understand, he would never go to the KHL. I think people forget how good Markov really is.
This!!

Even if we give him a 3 year deal worth 5 per, and he doesn't have anymore injuires that would be an amazing bargain. Some believe we gotta choose one of Markov or Wiz, unless we find a way to trade Spacek , andI love Wiz, and I wanted us to find a way to get him when the Ducks were looking to trade him but if I were not going to resign Markov, lets try to land Joni Pitkanen.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:51 PM
haburger

fisher is weak.always has been.markov will land a deal in the nhl , albeit for less than 5.5 per. i hope we can retain him.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Craig71

I think his article is based only on assumption, neither Markov or Gauthier has publicly stated any intention with regards to contract offers and nor should they. It is merely a case of the Habs out of the playoffs and an over the hill writer trying desperately to remain relevant.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I respect Red Fisher alot, but I can't remember the last time I took anything he said (about Todays hockey.. both on and off the ice) seriously.

His best work lately was his special of the best Habs players during the 100th year celebration..

Honestly.. Markov KHL? After he's said so many times that he doesn't want too... the fact that he knows he will get a contract from another team for sure? Common.
Agreed. Love Red's stories from the good old days, but if you're looking for insight into today's game he isn't exactly the best source. I don't ask my grandfather about what cell phone to buy, but I can still learn a lot from him.

As for Markov, just look at Marian Gaborik. When he hit free agency he had an even bigger stigma of fragility attached to him and he got 7.5M per year. Markov plays a more important position than him, is arguably more valuable to a team's success and will not be looking for near that amount. He'll be beating off GMs with a stick if he ever hits free agency.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Agreed. Love Red's stories from the good old days, but if you're looking for insight into today's game he isn't exactly the best source. I don't ask my grandfather about what cell phone to buy, but I can still learn a lot from him.

As for Markov, just look at Marian Gaborik. When he hit free agency he had an even bigger stigma of fragility attached to him and he got 7.5M per year. Markov plays a more important position than him, is arguably more valuable to a team's success and will not be looking for near that amount. He'll be beating off GMs with a stick if he ever hits free agency.
Of course he will and anyone who thinks he won't because of his knee is out of touch.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoNot View Post
I think Bertrand Raymond's article about how Bergeron is better than Wisniewski wins it, even if this one is close.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoNot View Post
You can count on WestIslander to bring us the best media pieces out there, always.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Having a healthy Markov, for the whole season with Subban and Price in the lineup will make the Habs one of the top teams in the east. There's no doubt in my mind about that. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but I'm often right, and have no doubt I'll be right about this. I'm very optimistic the future will prove me right.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

Markov has been badly injured twice at the same knees, want it or not it lower his value alot, especially on the mid long term.. every teams have a salary cap to respect, never forget about it.. Markov isnt in a position to ask the moon in the NHL and thinking a rich KHL owner will be ready to attract him oversea isnt a rificulous idea IMO.. Dont think it will happen but its not a ridiculous idea..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 05-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
How good he was, or how good he is?

Because the latter we don't really know. I would hate to see Markov play anywhere besides Montreal, but he is a gamble and we cannot bet next season on his health.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
I think Bertrand Raymond's article about how Bergeron is better than Wisniewski wins it, even if this one is close.
How dumb was it? It caused other journalists to break ranks and criticize it openly, which usually never happens in that very tight-knit fraternity.

This one isn't anywhere close. Having doubts about signing Markov due to his health is legitimate (I strongly disagree, but it's a legitimate point a view) and the KHL is an attractive option for a Russian player who doesn't get the offer he wants from the NHL. Of course, I don't think Markov will have any trouble finding suitors, given how rare his skills are, but at least the argument is consistent.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

With the price of gas skyrocketing in Russia, and the CND going over the USD, no surprise Markov would rather stay here, and no surprise Jagr wants to come back to NA.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I doubt he went through all trouble in getting Canadian Citizenship to just bolt.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:34 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
How good he was, or how good he is?

Because the latter we don't really know. I would hate to see Markov play anywhere besides Montreal, but he is a gamble and we cannot bet next season on his health.
How good he is.. Markov's game was never about agility/speed, it was all about stick and body positioning and high hockey IQ. He plays the same game that Lidstrom plays, that's why he is still playing high quality hockey at 41.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:37 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I wasn't crazy about this article at all and don't see Markov going to the KHL. If anything he'd move onto another NHL team as others have already mentioned.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that if the Habs sign Markov I'll be nervous about how the rest of the D is built. As it stands the Habs have one top four d-man signed - Subban. He will be entering his sophomore year. So if Markov signs then the Habs have two top four d-man.

I consider Josh Gorges to be a solid 5th/6th d-man who can fill in fairly well in the top four. Hal Gill is not a top four d-man. Jaro Spacek struggled big time although can at times play decent hockey. Wiz is mistake prone in his own end.

I know many drum up rosters like top four d-men just fall out of the sky but this is what makes me nervous about Markov and the rest of the D because the D has not been able to maintain reasonable health the last three seasons. And the guy who has been the healthiest is the guy the majority would like to see gone.

I think Markov should be signed but nonetheless I'm nervous about his return because he's been like a sheet of glass and has never been to productive in the playoffs anyhow.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Markov has been badly injured twice at the same knees, want it or not it lower his value alot, especially on the mid long term.. every teams have a salary cap to respect, never forget about it.. Markov isnt in a position to ask the moon in the NHL and thinking a rich KHL owner will be ready to attract him oversea isnt a rificulous idea IMO.. Dont think it will happen but its not a ridiculous idea..
I think it's ridiculous to think that the KHL is Markov's 'best bet'...

IF the Habs decide to walk away (which IMO, has 0% chance of happening) you're kidding yourself if you don't think he'll find teams to 'gamble' on the bet that his knee is recovered.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
With the price of gas skyrocketing in Russia, and the CND going over the USD, no surprise Markov would rather stay here, and no surprise Jagr wants to come back to NA.
The Canadian dollar being worth more than US dollar benefits the owners of the Canadian teams, but it hurts the Canadian team players, since they are paid in US dollars, but their living expenses are in Canadian dollars.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
How good he is.. Markov's game was never about agility/speed, it was all about stick and body positioning and high hockey IQ. He plays the same game that Lidstrom plays, that's why he is still playing high quality hockey at 41.
Well this is why I think he's likely to come back, but Lidstrom never had any major injuries in his career. Even players who don't rely on athleticism can sometimes struggle to come back from losing what little speed they have.

I believe Markov can still be a good NHL player, but we really don't know how good yet. We have to be cautious, I love Markov but this team has a lot of defensive rebuilding to think about.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote