HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla at $60M... would you?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2004, 08:56 PM
  #1
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Iginla at $60M... would you?

My thought...

We have most of the elements we need to become a contender in place. We have a young team. We're a few years off, but we have some pretty good forward prospects coming along. Mostly what we need is a boost on the blueline. But we also need a true power presence and finisher on the top lines.

Would you give up 5 1st round picks and offer Jarome Iginla a $60M contract for 6 years to solve our problem in the power winger category?

I think I would. It would absolutely put the finishing touches on anything else we could hope to do by way of free agency. That would finish our payroll right there, and then some.

But IMO Iginla is a special enough player that I'd take the plunge.

It's a big price, considering that our 1st round picks might not be all that bad in the next couple of drafts... they might be the picks that plug our glaring holes for a top D and a power winger right there.

(Of course, Iggy probably *wants* to stay in Calgary, and the Habs aren't a very piratical sort of team anyway, but just stepping into the twilight zone for a minute, as we ought to on this board...)

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:06 PM
  #2
KingJarl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Hypothetically speaking? Hmmm. He's the total package, for sure. If anyone deserves that kind of $$ in today's league... it might just be him. Gosh I'd love to see him in Habs red. If it were my choice and I had the money, I would. But then I would be the pissant GM who throws around $$ and makes every other player think they're worth a little more. LOL.

pEAce

KingJarl is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:15 PM
  #3
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
My thought...

We have most of the elements we need to become a contender in place. We have a young team. We're a few years off, but we have some pretty good forward prospects coming along. Mostly what we need is a boost on the blueline. But we also need a true power presence and finisher on the top lines.

Would you give up 5 1st round picks and offer Jarome Iginla a $60M contract for 6 years to solve our problem in the power winger category?

I think I would. It would absolutely put the finishing touches on anything else we could hope to do by way of free agency. That would finish our payroll right there, and then some.

But IMO Iginla is a special enough player that I'd take the plunge.

It's a big price, considering that our 1st round picks might not be all that bad in the next couple of drafts... they might be the picks that plug our glaring holes for a top D and a power winger right there.

(Of course, Iggy probably *wants* to stay in Calgary, and the Habs aren't a very piratical sort of team anyway, but just stepping into the twilight zone for a minute, as we ought to on this board...)

No......The reason being, if most of our first rounders turn out to be floops....well you get my point!

Were going in the right direction, i say stick to this route!

Mooch is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:16 PM
  #4
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
If I was Gainey, I would'nt do it. I think five 1st rounder is to much and signing a RFA like Iginla is not good for the reputation of our GM.With five 1st rounder, you can draft a talent like Iginla so I wouldn't do it...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:19 PM
  #5
Belarus Rocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
No way,you see my friends,the way I think Is that yes we have verry good prospect who will be ready to play In the NHL In maybe 2 or 3 years,but It's not a reason to start trading our 1 round pick for a franchise player,because a franchise can't be build with 2 or 3 draft you need to draft good player every years to replace the older player,and I think 60 million Is hell alot of cash so I would pass on this that's for sure

Belarus Rocket is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:20 PM
  #6
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Another thing is.....

Iggy aint that young, yes hes in his prime, but hes still around 28 i believe....

Mooch is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:27 PM
  #7
KingJarl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Another thing is.....

Iggy aint that young, yes hes in his prime, but hes still around 28 i believe....
Yep. Just turned 27. Having him under contract for the rest of his career is really tempting to me... but hey, I don't scout so what do I know They know how strong a draft is a year before it happens.

KingJarl is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:31 PM
  #8
Arel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
NOOOOOO , 5 first rounder..ohh how much first round pics make the NHL? .. ummm ..90% ? easilly... with 5 first rounder..we can choose one players who can be the next Iginla? ..and a 10 millions $ per years it's a very big deal .. too big!!

but iginla is the total package , no doubt about that...but.. 5 first rounder? no! I want a good young teams even if Iginla still a young player ;p

Arel is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:32 PM
  #9
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,071
vCash: 500
If it were only Iginla for five 1st rounder I'd do it without after thought. Picks are just that picks. We are a team on the rise and Iginla would instantly turn us into a contender. A Iginla-Koivu combo up front with Theodore in nets would make a very very good team.

But there's the 60M$ matter and the fact you just don't make offers to other teams' RFAs. I see this like stealing an acquaintance's girlfriend. It's wrong.

Des Louise is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:37 PM
  #10
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
5 1st rounders for Iginla is possibly a good deal.

But for Iginla at 10millions is crazy...

At 28, Iginla would possibly go to another team as a UFA Before the 5 1st rounders would have been used and this would HURT a LOT.

Anksun is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:38 PM
  #11
rocketlives
Registered User
 
rocketlives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
The Leafs could be interested if the School Board is liquid and in a rock and roll mood but not the Habs. It's not their modus operandi. They prefer the team concept and they have always been against giving half the payroll to a few primadonnas. They let players like Damphousse and Recchi go and they weren't asking half that kind of money. Giving Theo $6 million per year was probably as far as they'll ever go.


rocketlives is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:39 PM
  #12
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
If it were only Iginla for five 1st rounder I'd do it without after thought. Picks are just that picks. We are a team on the rise and Iginla would instantly turn us into a contender. A Iginla-Koivu combo up front with Theodore in nets would make a very very good team.

But there's the 60M$ matter and the fact you just don't make offers to other teams' RFAs. I see this like stealing an acquaintance's girlfriend. It's wrong.
Theres now way, Iginly alone would turn us into a serious contender right away. Our D is still very young and improving. Our second line.....same thing. Young and still learning. If this were 2-3 years down the road, then yes, an addition of Iginla would make us a serious contender....... imo......

Mooch is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:41 PM
  #13
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
NO.

Iginla is probably the best player in the NHL right now, but a commitment of 60 million over 6 years and 5 first rounders is way too steep a price to pay when we are still very far away in being legit top contenders.

With that type of salary commited to one player it limits you to add any other talent needed and it also limits you in giving raises to your own RFA and UFA's, not to mention signing your prospects.

Plus if we gave up that many 1st rounders your pretty much mortgaging your future and giving up on 5 potential chances of picking a Iginla type player.

We would have a very strong forward and goaltending nucleus, but our D would still be suspect because of its youth in Kommy and Hainsey. We don;t have the D the Flames have in Regher, Leopold, Lydman, Gautheir, Ference, Montidor, Commadore and Warriner. Sure Souray, Markov, Brisebois and Rivet give us a good veteran presence but the inexperience in Kommy, Hainsey and the small stature in Boullion doesn't matxh up to that Calgary D right now. A future D with Archer, Kommy, Hainsey, Markov, Souray, O'Bryne, Flood and Korneev looks to be a strong D and when that comes into play Iginla may be in year 4 of his contract already.

If the Rangers and Leafs have taught us anything in signing top end talent and still not being able to win ...well it isn't worth it to mortgage the future.

We have a good base and a good future coming up, no need to ruin it over one player.

10 million could bring in 2 to 3 very good players and 5 picks in the first round could be very good to a teams future as well. When was the last time a team did such a deal? The Blues for Stevens out of Washington??? What did they ever win!

I like the way we are headed.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:43 PM
  #14
DirtyJeeves
Registered User
 
DirtyJeeves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Anderson, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
You're just asking for trouble when you sign a guy for that much, and that long.

DirtyJeeves is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:54 PM
  #15
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Theres now way, Iginly alone would turn us into a serious contender right away. Our D is still very young and improving. Our second line.....same thing. Young and still learning. If this were 2-3 years down the road, then yes, an addition of Iginla would make us a serious contender....... imo......
IMO I disagree

Our defense is solid enough. Nothing incredible but solid enough. A Zednik-Koivu-Iginla line would set the league on fire and would make up for anything our defense and Theodore would give up. I'm not saying we'd win the cup for sure. But we'd be a 100+ pts team.

Imagine Iginla league leading 41 goals last season instead of Bulis and co on the first line. That's a MAJOR upgrade.

Iginla fits the leadership, grit, goalscoring, 1st line winger we badly need. And it's our biggest hole. Besides if it comes down to that Gainey would rent a dman at the deadline for a prospect or one of our remaining pick.

Imagine having both the 01-02 Iginla and Theodore. You've got two team MVP right here. Drooooool....

Des Louise is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 09:55 PM
  #16
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 500
No way in hell. I would take that 10 million and sign a Palfy or a Demitra and still have leftovers to throw to Kovy (probably end up being a bit more then 10 million). Iginla is great but half a decade of young talent is a lot to give up.
Having Palffy playing with Koivu and Kovy with Ribs is much better then Having Iginla and losing 5 years of development, not too mention looking bad for throwing away money like that.

Go Habs Go is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:00 PM
  #17
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH2
IMO I disagree

Our defense is solid enough. Nothing incredible but solid enough. A Zednik-Koivu-Iginla line would set the league on fire and would make up for anything our defense and Theodore would give up. I'm not saying we'd win the cup for sure. But we'd be a 100+ pts team.
So we become the Boston Bruins with one line, get over a 100+ points but get eliminated in the 1st round? Why mortgage the future for that when we are already better than that and will be a 100+ plus team in the future without Iginla.

A one line team (especially in the east) with a good goalie and an average D will get you nowhere.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:00 PM
  #18
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
5 1st rounders for Iginla is possibly a good deal.
(Just taking the standard RFA compensation for signing him, in case anybody didn't realise that... Iggy is RFA, and it would cost 5 1st round picks to sign him).
Quote:
But for Iginla at 10millions is crazy...
Alas, even though this is totally hypothetical and contrary to the Habs status as "sensible NHL citizens", I'm just figuring it would take that kind of crazy money for the Flames to not match it.
Quote:
At 28, Iginla would possibly go to another team as a UFA Before the 5 1st rounders would have been used and this would HURT a LOT.
Well, we signed him for 6 years. Sooooo... 5 1st rounders... they'd get used in that time. Hard to say... would I give up Chipchura, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Komisarek, and Hainsey for Iginla? You know, I almost would think about it. Would I give up Chouinard, Ward, Higgins, Ryan, and Brown for him? In a heartbeat.

The "average" of 5 1st round picks has to fall somewhere between our 2000-2004 haul and our 1994-1998 embarrassment. If the peak is even thinkable, then the average...

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:06 PM
  #19
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
So we become the Boston Bruins with one line, get over a 100+ points but get eliminated in the 1st round? Why mortgage the future for that when we are already better than that and will be a 100+ plus team in the future without Iginla.

A one line team (especially in the east) with a good goalie and an average D will get you nowhere.
I admit I'm confused by your post. Were we a one line team last season ? Were we a one line team with Kovalev ?

I could go on but there's some serious flawed logic in your post so I'll stop right here.

Des Louise is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:07 PM
  #20
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Well, we signed him for 6 years. Sooooo... 5 1st rounders... they'd get used in that time. Hard to say... would I give up Chipchura, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Komisarek, and Hainsey for Iginla? You know, I almost would think about it. Would I give up Chouinard, Ward, Higgins, Ryan, and Brown for him? In a heartbeat.

The "average" of 5 1st round picks has to fall somewhere between our 2000-2004 haul and our 1994-1998 embarrassment. If the peak is even thinkable, then the average...
No way you or the Habs would trade those 5 players for Iginla, Calgary would in a heartbeat though. Sutter wanted to trade up to get Chipchura this year, Kommy and Higgins are his type of players and scoring from Kostitsyn and Hainsey would be very hard to say no to, especially in the high flying wide open west style of hockey.

The only reason you would trade the latter 5 is because you know at this time they were failures, you can't determine that for the others. In that trade you have just given up 1/2 of your top 2 future lines and 1/3 of you future D...potential 1-2 Dmen.

Not one team in the NHL would mortgage their future this badly in players or salary for one player.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:10 PM
  #21
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH2
I admit I'm confused by your post. Were we a one line team last season ? Were we a one line team with Kovalev ?

I could go on but there's some serious flawed logic in your post so I'll stop right here.
I don't see any flaws.

Yes we were a one line team come playoff time, but before that we were a 2 line team with Ribs and Ryder doing well with whatever winger was placed with them. But with Iginla signed to such a salary we would surely become that one line team because we would not have any additional salary room to add a player needed to the 2nd line to help out Ryder and Ribs.

Please go on and explain yourself, I would like to see your logic in how you think we would be better.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:18 PM
  #22
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
No way you or the Habs would trade those 5 players for Iginla, Calgary would in a heartbeat though. Sutter wanted to trade up to get Chipchura this year, Kommy and Higgins are his type of players and scoring from Kostitsyn and Hainsey would be very hard to say no to, especially in the high flying wide open west style of hockey.

The only reason you would trade the latter 5 is because you know at this time they were failures, you can't determine that for the others. In that trade you have just given up 1/2 of your top 2 future lines and 1/3 of you future D...potential 1-2 Dmen.

Not one team in the NHL would mortgage their future this badly in players or salary for one player.
Well, as anathema as the subject probably is on these boards... Hainsey is probably better than half way to Wilkiedom right now. Higgins, maybe he's just a good 2-way plugger (Ward?), Komisarek... hey, he could be the next Matvichuk? And Kostitsyn is a total shot in the dark right now. Chipchura... Chad Kilger was a good 2-way player and a higher draft pick. We like to think our recent 5 1st rounders are the real deal, but it's almost a sure thing that at least one will fail miserably. Of course we don't believe that, being the optimist "hockeyfuturist" types that we are. But the law of averages says that even if we hit the jackpot from 2000-2004, then we're due for some hard times again in our next 5.

If it came down to it, I wouldn't trade our 2000-2004 1st picks, with the benefit of hindsight, for Iginla. But knowing what I know about the draft, and presuming that our next 5 won't be as appealing, I'd roll the dice on giving up 2005-2009 for him.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:37 PM
  #23
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
10 millions bucks. Too much...The best players should be paid around 8 millions $.
At 8 millions $ i would say yes since our 1st rounders will be late picks cause we already have a good hockey team. Iginla is worth it. At 8 millions...But damn, 10 millions is too f. expensive!!!

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:39 PM
  #24
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I don't see any flaws.
It's flawed on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

First you're comparing us to the Bruins and it's ridiculous. The Bruins lost last playoffs because their first line didn't do squat. Not because they lacked depth. It's the exact opposite of what you said. I hate ridiculous cliche like this.

Second we were not a one line team this season. We won because we played an effective defensive system. Give one more season to Julien and the habs will play even more as a team and will get better with the same players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Yes we were a one line team come playoff time, but before that we were a 2 line team with Ribs and Ryder doing well with whatever winger was placed with them.
The Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder line didn't produce because they were as green as green can be. They'll mature, they'll improve and they'll likely produce in the playoffs one day. We'd hardly be a one line team with a Ribeiro-Ryder combo backing Zednik, Koivu and Iginla. And I'm not even mentionning our young prospects here.

Besides listening to you and others in this thread one would think our whole defense sucks ass. Only 7 teams allowed less goals than us last season. Our team defense was JUST fine. The reason it looked bad in the post season is because Julien would keep not realizing Souray was injured and would play him in all kinds of situations. Theodore not playing his best hockey didn't help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
But with Iginla signed to such a salary we would surely become that one line team because we would not have any additional salary room to add a player needed to the 2nd line to help out Ryder and Ribs.
Higgins, Hossa, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, need I go on ? One of those guys will be ready next season. And it's likely more than one will be ready. If not then hate him all you want you have the 20-25+ goals of Dagenais. We'd hardly be starving for offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Please go on and explain yourself, I would like to see your logic in how you think we would be better.
huh...

Maybe we'd be better because Iginla scored over 120 goals the past three seasons and won 2 Rocket Richard doing so ? Maybe we'd be better because we'd be quite lucky to find another Iginla with those five 1st round pick ? Maybe because draft picks are big crap shoot (particularly in the 15-30 range).

Anyway, people think the Nieuwendyk-Iginla trade was a bad one. It should come as no surprise to me that people would rather have five 1st than Iginla.

Des Louise is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 10:59 PM
  #25
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,071
vCash: 500
And I'd give five 1st rounder for Nash, Kovalchuk and Iginla. And I'd have for Heatley too if he had not been involved in that car crash.

Des Louise is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.