HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla at $60M... would you?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2004, 11:00 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
My thought...

We have most of the elements we need to become a contender in place. We have a young team. We're a few years off, but we have some pretty good forward prospects coming along. Mostly what we need is a boost on the blueline. But we also need a true power presence and finisher on the top lines.

Would you give up 5 1st round picks and offer Jarome Iginla a $60M contract for 6 years to solve our problem in the power winger category?

I think I would. It would absolutely put the finishing touches on anything else we could hope to do by way of free agency. That would finish our payroll right there, and then some.

But IMO Iginla is a special enough player that I'd take the plunge.

It's a big price, considering that our 1st round picks might not be all that bad in the next couple of drafts... they might be the picks that plug our glaring holes for a top D and a power winger right there.

(Of course, Iggy probably *wants* to stay in Calgary, and the Habs aren't a very piratical sort of team anyway, but just stepping into the twilight zone for a minute, as we ought to on this board...)
No way in hell...

Old
07-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
And I'd give five 1st rounder for Nash, Kovalchuk and Iginla. And I'd have for Heatley too if he had not been involved in that car crash.
It's so taboo to mention RFAs these days, but yeah, Heatley is one too. So Heatley, Kovalchuk, Thornton, Iginla, St.Louis, Pronger, Niedermayer, Chara... whatever floats your boat, there are lots of RFAs with huuuuuge names there too.

Refresher on the compensation guidelines:

OFFER
$727,502 or below
Over $727,502 - $1,000,315 --- no compensation
Over $1,000,315 - $1,182,191 --- 3rd
Over $1,182,191 - $1,455,005 --- 2nd
Over $1,455,005 - $1,818,754 --- 1st
Over $1,818,754 - $2,182,505 --- 1st + 3rd
Over $2,182,505 - $2,546,256 --- 1st + 2nd
Over $2,546,256 - $3,091,882 --- two 1st
Over $3,091,882 --- 3 1st
Each additional $1,818,754 an extra 1st up to 5

Just mentioning that because there are hordes of somewhat interesting RFAs like Erik Cole and Barret Jackman (amongst many others) who might fall into the mid-ranges in compensation picks too.

With guys like Kovalchuk, Heatley, Thornton, and Iginla... well... I'm really surprised some team out there isn't expressing some rebel tendencies.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 07-13-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old
07-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
IMO I disagree

Our defense is solid enough. Nothing incredible but solid enough. A Zednik-Koivu-Iginla line would set the league on fire and would make up for anything our defense and Theodore would give up. I'm not saying we'd win the cup for sure. But we'd be a 100+ pts team.

Imagine Iginla league leading 41 goals last season instead of Bulis and co on the first line. That's a MAJOR upgrade.

Iginla fits the leadership, grit, goalscoring, 1st line winger we badly need. And it's our biggest hole. Besides if it comes down to that Gainey would rent a dman at the deadline for a prospect or one of our remaining pick.

Imagine having both the 01-02 Iginla and Theodore. You've got two team MVP right here. Drooooool....

Thats fine, but what if..........

Ribs doesnt show he can be that scoring number two C, because the league has irgured him out.

Ryder, struggles.

Hossa/Higgins cant crack the second line

Souraydoesnt return to his early 2003-2004 season form

Bonk plays like he did in Ottawa

Theo, cracks under the pressure of being a goalie to take this team to the cup

Too many risks at this point in the game imo. I realize your being optimistic, and i repect that, but the reality is, its way to early to know if one more player will take us all the way, because we are still uncertain on the current players we have. Until we know Ribs is our perfect number two C, Theo can be a playoff goalie, Souray can play like he did this year earlier, Ryder is an improving force, Bonk will perform in Montreal, and many other unknows, i dont think we can make that one big move. If we knew even 3/4 of these questions, i really wouldnt mind making that big move, but we are still way to young in the building process........imo!

Old
07-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1000
The deal would really make no sense. First we would be giving up 5 first rounds picks AND playing 10 million dollars to one player. And with the impending new CBA this would be suicide. Drafting is going to become even more important if a cap is put in place.

I would love to see Iggy in a Habs jersey, but honestly this deal would hurt more then help.

Old
07-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
With guys like Kovalchuk, Heatley, Thornton, and Iginla... well... I'm really surprised some team out there isn't expressing some rebel tendencies.
Kovalchuk and Iginla are worth it IMO.

But Thornton has that playoffs question mark around him. He's also shown questionable leadership and intensity with Boston. I'd never give up five 1st and 10M$+ for him. (BTW I know full well Thornton stats in the playoffs, it's nearly 1PPG but his play doesn't impress me...)

Heatley I would have if it had not been for the car crash. It's hard to tell how it will affect him in the long run. And we're not even talking about the knee he injured in the accident.

If you're gonna give five 1st and 10M$+ to a guy you just don't want any negative bagage. It's risky enough of a practice not to have question marks surrounding the guys you acquire.

As for your question maybe teams are a bit shy because of the upcoming CBA situation ? Maybe in some instance they know full well teams would match any offers anyway and don't want to drive the market price up uselessly. Or maybe it's just a collusion between owners and GMs.

Anyway I wish it was impossible for teams to make offers to RFAs. It's not good for the league.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Asgalus

i would do it. We would be settled for at least 5 years. and it isnt always our first rounders that become our best pick. We would make playoffs years after years ... and would have 2 solid lines and good defence. with still some great prospect coming...future would still be great a head of us!

Old
07-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Thats fine, but what if........

Ribs doesnt show he can be that scoring number two C, because the league has irgured him out.

Ryder, struggles.
Possible but unlikely. Anyway Iginla would automatically relieve guys like Ryder and Ribeiro from offensive pressure to score which would likely help them to score more.

But even if they slumped big time and got only 35-40 pts that wouldn't be much of a problem with Iginla scoring 40+ GOALS on the first line.

Quote:
Hossa/Higgins cant crack the second line
Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Dagenais and Plekanec. If none of those guys crack the NHL as a scoring forward next season I'll be really really surprised. And if that were to happen a guy like Iginla would take all his importance.

Quote:
Souraydoesnt return to his early 2003-2004 season form
I don't expect him to. I expect CJ to come to his senses though.

Quote:
Bonk plays like he did in Ottawa
Would that be so bad ? Are we making Bonk to be that huge 2-way production monster ? I've already set my expectations pretty low for him. Anyway you want to cut it he's still a guy that can take on the other team first line while providing help on special units. That's the main reason why we got him no ?

Quote:
Theo, cracks under the pressure of being a goalie to take this team to the cup
That would suck. But this is true for about 28 teams in the league. And GMs don't manage their team thinking their goalie will crumble under pressure.

Quote:
Too many risks at this point in the game imo. I realize your being optimistic, and i repect that, but the reality is, its way to early to know if one more player will take us all the way, because we are still uncertain on the current players we have. Until we know Ribs is our perfect number two C, Theo can be a playoff goalie, Souray can play like he did this year earlier, Ryder is an improving force, Bonk will perform in Montreal, and many other unknows, i dont think we can make that one big move. If we knew even 3/4 of these questions, i really wouldnt mind making that big move, but we are still way to young in the building process........imo!
Your doom and gloom scenario is very unlikely. Some of those things could and most probably will happen next season. But there's about 0.01% chance ALL of this happen. There's a risk that's for sure. But I don't think it's nearly as big as everyone else seem to think it is.

Besides the first player we'd draft with those five 1st rounder likely wouldn't be able to help us for another 4-5 years. Nevermind the other ones. By the time our 2005 first rounder is ready to make an impact in the NHL Koivu's best days would be behind him and by the time our 2009 one was ready Koivu would likely be retired.

When you've got the chance to add a winner like Iginla to your team, it doesn't matter all that much how far along in the rebuilding process you are. If we were at the same point in our rebuilding teams like the rangers and hawks are I could understand the argument that we're not ready for a star like Iginla. Even though I'd probably disagree with it. But we're much further along.

The only reason why it doesn't make sense to do it is because of the 60M$. But I'll never agree that Iginla is not worth five 1st rounder. Never.

Last edited by Des Louise: 07-14-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old
07-14-2004, 01:53 AM
ifesfor*

Its a risk but yeah.

A player like Iginla doesnt show up easily.Its a long term sacrifice.But a good one.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
As for your question maybe teams are a bit shy because of the upcoming CBA situation ? Maybe in some instance they know full well teams would match any offers anyway and don't want to drive the market price up uselessly. Or maybe it's just a collusion between owners and GMs.
Yeah, these are obviously part of the reason why we never see any RFA movement. I'm not saying it's a practical possibility that the Habs could do this, it's "just not done". But to be honest, if I was a GM, and my job was strictly to make my team better, and I didn't have to worry about any "big picture" questions like driving up salaries and CBAs, then I would have to conclude that I would readily give up 5 1st rounders for guys like Iginla and Kovalchuk. Hey, we offered more than that for Kovalchuk on draft day, so why not now?????
Quote:
Anyway I wish it was impossible for teams to make offers to RFAs. It's not good for the league.
I agree with that too. I hate free agency in general, and I'm actually happy that the "code of honour" in the NHL results in essentially no movement of RFAs at all. I'm just tossing out an idea here for fun.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Astaroth

This is one hell of an interesting proposal, props to Blind Gardien for headlining it.
Now five first round pick + say 10 million dollars a year for a franchise forward. Proven mind you. He's 28, in his prime and hungry for the cup. He has little if no injury problems. Up until now it's looking pretty good. But then the hiccups start to appear; six years is a long time, and with the CBA situation it's even more precarious. However that being said, first rounders, especially within our range (18-25) do not produce franchise forwards or franchise anythings. If we took the last five 1st roudners we picked and traded them for Iggy, I'd do it straight up. Alot of people are saying you don't gut your farm for a single player and trading away your future. Well while I agree with it to a certain extent, the fact of the matter is that we're on hockey's future and everybody here has a tendency to view their prospect through homer goggles. I mean seriously, Chipchura? Scott Hartnell upside about, nothing much more. Kostitsyn? I'm a fan but he's really in the dark with that checkered season with the Red Army (He was sucessful everywhere else but in lower tier competition, the international events were with teams like Japan...) Higgins? Solid two way guy? A dime a dozen amongst the league? Komisarek, might become a beast but might just become a solid d-men, nothing special. Hainsey? He's got the skills but he's looking like a bust, and I like him alot. Chouinard? Bust, with a capital B. And supposedly this has been some real quality drafting lately. Would you give those five for Iggy? I might but he's 28 and we don't want to pay a powerforward 10 million after 32, they tend to be washed due to their rough banger style so I say we get Ilya Kovalchuk. He's young, he's definetly hungry for sucess and man have we've been missing Guy. It might break the bank but think about it, when the last time we've gotten a franchise player in Montreal (not a goalie), a gamebreaker, someone who can elevate this team to the next level. It's been 11 years already since the last one. We want that 25th one!

Old
07-15-2004, 12:46 AM
ifesfor*

And also lets not forget, all the team will try to finish in the last position in order to get Crosby

Old
07-15-2004, 12:49 AM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
60 millions?! You could buy the whole Calgary Flames franchise with that kind of money.

Old
07-15-2004, 01:04 AM
Zednik

Take the $10 millions, sign 2 superstars every year (this year, it would be Kovalev and Murray, or whatever) for the next 6 years. And you keep your 1st picks.

Old
07-15-2004, 01:40 PM
tinyzombies

I think it definitely must be tempting for Gainey. Kovalchuk would be just as tempting, but Atlanta would no doubt match. If we could take Kovalchuk away from Atlanta, it would be an even more important move for us in the longrun and would severely hurt a Conference rival.

But what will Andre Savard do with no first rounders to play with? He'd still find us some gems later in the draft I'm sure and would be able to focus his budget towards that goal, which would probably help him even more deeper in the draft.

But with Koivu on the decline and Ribeiro being a smallish 2nd center and Bonk... I don't know... But look at what Iginla did for Conroy's career.

You would also need to blow Calgary away on the offer. So, $10 mil probably.

I would definitely map it all out if I were Gainey.

Old
07-15-2004, 01:41 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
Take the $10 millions, sign 2 superstars every year (this year, it would be Kovalev and Murray, or whatever) for the next 6 years. And you keep your 1st picks.
I would take Iginla over five Kovalevs and Murrays!

Closed Thread