HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks @ Preds 5-3-11 - Lawyers Guns & Money

Old
05-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Well the quote of the night is from David Legwand, something along the lines of "Peel must have had a date he wanted to get out of here early."
I loved it...it was worth the $2500 fine!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:30 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I didn't remember the collision on #2, so agreed on that one then.

But I still disagree on #1. Pekka came out to challenge, but he came out WAY too far. If Rinne stays at the post, it's a much more difficult prospect.

Don't get me wrong - I love Rinne and he's been fantastic, including most of tonight. I do think he misplayed #1 though. It's hard to argue it was played well anytime a guy makes an easy pass to the front of the net and the goalie is not there. It happens. Hopefully we'll move on and tie it up Thursday.
I have to watch the replay but how could he stay on his post when the D-man is walking in from the point pretty much uncontested? Erhoff would have had a huge amount of net to shoot at.

I guess it's just the way I've been taught. The goalie takes the shooter and it's the skaters responsibility the deny passes, tie up sticks and clear rebounds. I still put the blame on SOB there. By swimming on the ice to deny the pass he pretty much made himself completely immobile.

predfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:30 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I want to know what the hell O'Brien was doing on the first goal. He was on his knees defending absolutely no one.

He has to defend Kesler and clear him out to let Pekka see the puck carrier. Instead he doesn't defend Kesler, goes to his knees so Ehrhoff can just skate right around him. That forced Pekka to challenge him and at that point it was basically a 2 on 0.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:35 AM
predfan24

After watching the replay on the first goal the main problem was Klein who jumped in shorthanded and then got caught which led to a 2 on 1 and everybody scrambling and the Canucks took advantage. SOB still shouldn't have tried to play goaltender but I have to fault Klein for that one.

predfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:36 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I didn't remember the collision on #2, so agreed on that one then.

But I still disagree on #1. Pekka came out to challenge, but he came out WAY too far. If Rinne stays at the post, it's a much more difficult prospect.

Don't get me wrong - I love Rinne and he's been fantastic, including most of tonight. I do think he misplayed #1 though. It's hard to argue it was played well anytime a guy makes an easy pass to the front of the net and the goalie is not there. It happens. Hopefully we'll move on and tie it up Thursday.
He did. What business Goalie has on such play behind goal line

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:38 AM
tserberis*

Guys who has dvr.

Cross check on SK in OT. Where was the point of contact?

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
What a great visual effect when you walked in tonight! I was told it took 6 hours to set up all the t-shirts and towels today and was very happy to see that it worked so well...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Slapshot_11

They give you guys t-shirts??

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:04 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I have a hard time believing you guys committed 1 penalty while we were called on 4 last game.

Still 13-10 in PPs in your favour, but you can chalk that up to us being more undisciplined

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:29 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Sure Weber could have just dropped his stick, but the only reason he should have to do that within this context is because Kesler is HOLDING THE STICK. A penalty. Weber is only obstructing the player's ability to move with his stick if he is willingly doing it. If the other player is holding Weber's stick then it's a penalty by the book, but is it too ****ing much to ask to just ignore the ******* holding the stick penalty? You have to call a "hook" that only appeared to happen because of the call you ignore?

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:31 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Guys who has dvr.

I have all but the first two minutes and a little bit of OT DVR'd. Can you give me around when it happened so I can look?

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:41 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashed View Post
Penalties aren't called solely for the prospect of hurting someone. The last penalty was a crap call but your last point is terrible.
Haha I know. I'm bitter. I'm grasping at straws here.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:38 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Although the call on Weber was complete and utter BS, there is something good that will come of this. Weber will play with a chip on his shoulder the rest of this series. He's already elevated his game to another level but this will probably tick him off beyond belief and I really feel bad for any guy wearing a Canuck sweater. I think he's gonna come out mad, hitting anything and everything that moves and be blasting the puck harder than he's ever shot it before. He's the leader of the team and he probably feels somewhat guilty, even though he knows it was a bad call, he's going to do anything he can to win this series. Just a hunch though.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:51 AM
theripper

here are the facts,

1.the high stick did indeed hit luongo in the mask. that is a penalty.

2.weber had his stick across keslers waist. doesnt matter if he held on to it a little with the elbow. i see it almost every other game,and its also a penalty all the time. either alot of people are blind, or its just plain hate.

3.canucks badly outplayed nashville,and the better team won.

theripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Guys who has dvr.

I have it DVR'ed but am pretty busy tonight. I'll look later though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
here are the facts,

What are you basing this fact on? I haven't seen a camera angle that can prove OR disprove this. If you have, please link.

Quote:
2.weber had his stick across keslers waist. doesnt matter if he held on to it a little with the elbow. i see it almost every other game,and its also a penalty all the time. either alot of people are blind, or its just plain hate.
Yes he did, and whether you argue that Kesler should have gotten a penalty or not the simple fact is the Preds weren't able to kill the penalty.

Quote:
First period was a bit of a wash, 2nd period was all Vancouver, third period the Predators showed some life and overall I thought the Predators had a much better OT than the Canucks, until of course we gave up the goal.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
here are the facts,

1. Burrows hit Smithson first yet Smithson was the only one to go to the box.

2. 6 men on the ice in the OT, if memory serves me correctly, that's a bench minor for too many men on the ice. That gets called all the time yet the refs seemed to put their whistles away on that play.

3. On the subject of high sticking, Kesler high sticked both Ward and Weber on the same sequence but only served two minutes for one of the offenses. Once again, we see high sticking calls all the time. I didn't realize the refs were giving 2 for 1 specials on penalty calls last night.

On your point 3, Vancouver did outplay Nashville last night but the outcome of the game should not have been decided upon a penalty that was a terrible call. I haven't seen one analyst agree with the call and other than Nuck fans, everyone else seems to agree it was a poor call. And if you happen to notice, Kesler was holding onto Weber's stick as well so it should've been both that went to the box. I'm not too upset that Vancouver won because in all honesty, they played a better game. I'm upset that the refs had a bearing on the outcome of the game. I think you can understand my frustration.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
MattPreds37

Quote:
here are the facts,

No, It did not. Link it if you have it and prove me wrong.

A little Bit? He's holding the stick, Weber has his own stick with one hand and Kesler and winging it to the point that Weber uses his other hand to try to pry his stick free and can't do it. Meanwhile Shea Weber can shoot a Puck through a net, he's pretty strong I would say that he was holding the stick more than just a little. If anything it shouldve been a no call.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Roger Explosion

Should have been a 2-1 win if not for two bullcrap penalties. But that's sport, just have to suck it up and accept that sometimes calls will go against us. Even refs make mistakes.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:40 AM
predfan98

facts...........we're playing the last canadian team and the refs let those diving punk ass players get away with **** all game.

********* call in OT.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:55 AM
ontheDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPreds37 View Post
A little Bit? He's holding the stick, Weber has his own stick with one hand and Kesler and winging it to the point that Weber uses his other hand to try to pry his stick free and can't do it. Meanwhile Shea Weber can shoot a Puck through a net, he's pretty strong I would say that he was holding the stick more than just a little. If anything it shouldve been a no call.
I think most ppl agree that it would be a penalty during the season...questionable call because:

1) it is in OT in the playoffs because there are alot of non-calls.
2) he was so far away from the net and having his arm around kesler did not take away a (or lead to) a scoring chance

Proper call because:
1) Weber did have his arm wrapped around him starting from below the goal line and followed him up to above the halfboards.
2) If kesler were to lift his arms up (even a bit), he likely would have lost the puck (as it was at his feet).

I think they could've sent both of them to the box, or none, or even just Weber as they did. Bad luck for the Preds they ended up in the Canucks favor this game. But Canucks were victims of this in the first round, so has Boston. It ain't a conspiracy.

ontheDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
The reffing was horrendous and I hate the Canucks more than any team right now. That being said, we lost. Let's move on and focus on sticking it to them in game 4 tomorrow!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

My cathartic rant that I am too tired to edit. Let me say that the gold out was an awesome idea and looked incredible in person

--

I disagree on all the, "Nashville didn't deserve it" comments. This is a cop-out and lame. It also goes to great lengths to ignore that Pekka Rinne is a member of our team and a vital one at that.

If you want to break down the periods, go ahead. The Canucks had a huge shot advantage to open the game, but the Predators had at least 3 scoring chances where they just missed the net. At worst, I would call the first period a wash in terms of play, especially given the Predators goal and lame awarding of a PP with the Smithson/Burrows tussel. Second period was clearly all Canucks. Third period was again, either a wash, or maybe a slight edge towards the Predators. Frankly, OT was about as even as they come. The play discrepancy is based on one poor period of play that resulted in one goal.....which came off an apparent air-pellet assasination attempt on Luongo at the end of the first period (Hooray for dives!)

On the flip side, credit has to be given to the Canucks for capitalizing on their powerplays.

As a Predator fan, understand our angst.

1) We see a goalie act like he was shot in the head draw a penalty on a nothing forecheck play with 15 seconds to go in the period. Unfortunately for us, the stick never even makes contact with Luongos head. Also unfortunately for us, the Canucks score on the ensuing powerplay. Who the heck wouldn't be pissed at that event?

2) The second Canucks goal comes with our goaltender scrambling to make it back into his net. Why is he out of his net? Ryan Kesler knocked him about 10 feet away from the goal! Now, am I saying that Klein didn't have a hand in this? Absolutely not. He pushed Kesler. Kesler also goes down like a sack of potatoes and takes out our goaltender. Another goal on a questionable non-GI call. Heck, I think they may have even decided to give Klein a penalty on the play to boot.

3) The waved-off goal. Yeah, it was a good call. It still pisses everyone off when a goal is in the net, but it is negated because a Canuck player manages to dislodge the net prior to it clearly crossing the line. Great penalty to take. It still pisses us off.

4) Knee-on-knee by Dan Hamhuis on Steve Sullivan. Not only did it knock him out for the remainder of the game. It was another missed call. More importantly, at the time, the Canucks almost scored while Sullivan laid on the ice and hobbled back to the bench. Things like this get missed, I guess, but it just adds fuel to the fire.

5) Don't get me started on the OT. How many guys did the Canucks have on the ice? 8? I'm being serious? There had to be at least 7. I think I may have even seen AV on the ice there for a moment . What about Bieksa laying on the puck in the middle of the ice? I think you have to make the too many men on the ice penalty. It was laughable in how obvious, lengthy, and bad it was. I can see not calling KB as it was OT hockey, and the refs were apparently swallowing their whistles. I am fine with that until you see point number 6...

6) The Weber penalty? Are you freaking kidding me? I'm watching Ryan Kesler hold his stick, Weber frantically shoving him and trying to dislodge it, and he is the one penalized. At the least it is a double minor. Honestly, Kesler was probably the closest one to take an infraction for holding the stick. Lets be real, though, this is a penalty that absolutely should not have been called. It was a nothing play, their was no hooking, and Kesler was clearly trying to draw a call. As an official who has already decided to swallow the whistle on at least 3-4 clear penalties in overtime, you have to eat this one.....especially given it was never a penalty on Weber to begin with.

I know this goes both ways. I'm sure Canuck fans will lament the Smithson hit, which was on the borderline of being a boarding/clean hit. I cannot comment on it definitively without seeing a replay. It looked like KB stopped to initiate contact and turned more fully prior to the hit. I guess you could say it was either a good non-call or a 2 minute boarding depending on your perspective. I in no way think that this should be used to justify giving the Canucks a powerplay in overtime off an attempt to draw a penalty.

With all of the above said, the Canucks played an excellent game. The Kesler line played extremely well. Did they play dirty and embellish all night long? Heck yeah they did. It also led to 2 goals for the Canucks. Mission accomplished for them. Their defense continues to be stifiling and Luongo continues to be very very good. I hated to see the game end on such questionable calls, but I can readily admit that the Canucks were close to burying us on their own prior to any ticky-tack call. I think that is why it was just infuriating to us fans to see it end in such a fashion.

Vancouver fans, take this post for what it is. An explanation and semi-rant out of a hockey fan. Again, I am well-aware that their were missed calls both ways, and I didn't delve into that. I am also aware that the Canucks arguably played the better game. Still, if ever their was a time for a fan to be frustrated with the officiating, I think Predator fans have a right too after last night.

Bring on Game 4.

05-04-2011, 09:33 AM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
1) We see a goalie act like he was shot in the head draw a penalty on a nothing forecheck play with 15 seconds to go in the period. Unfortunately for us, the stick never even makes contact with Luongos head. Also unfortunately for us, the Canucks score on the ensuing powerplay. Who the heck wouldn't be pissed at that event?
That was one of the most pathetic dives I have EVER seen. I think you make pretty reasonable points throughout this post, BTW.

Also, yes, the gold-out looked amazing! We had a blue-out, which was sweet, but at first glance, it looked like the building was empty (our seats are blue.)

DracoFulmineus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
After watching the replay on the first goal the main problem was Klein who jumped in shorthanded and then got caught which led to a 2 on 1 and everybody scrambling and the Canucks took advantage. SOB still shouldn't have tried to play goaltender but I have to fault Klein for that one.
It didn't help that Ehrhoff (Edler?) got away with a clear interference as Ward (?) chased down a puck in the neutral zone on the far boards. Shoulda been a whistle and a 4-on-4 faceoff in front of Luongo.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:07 AM
JacklegJack

Well, this series just became a lot more difficult now that we're going up against the Canucks AND the refs... But as bad as the officiating was, that was no excuse for our terrible play throughout much of the game. We keep managing to keep it close despite only having half as many shots as the Canucks, imagine if we stopped trying to be too fancy and actually shot it on net every now and then? It could have easily been 4-2 if we just pushed a little harder in their zone. Game 2 resulted in a victory because we pushed harder. Game 1 and 3 resulted in losses, albiet close ones, because we seemed too complacent and had an awful forecheck for much of the game. If our guys bring an effort to the ice like they did in Game 2, we'll take this series regardless of how bad the refs and commentators want the Nucks to prevail.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote