HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lakers Playoffs

Old
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Pretty simple. One team in L.A. has 11 titles, the other has zero.

Jealousy is a powerful emotion.
I am a Lakers fan, and I hate Kobe. He is a complete a%^hole. But I can't knock his playing ability. But that doesn't mean I have to like him.

I think he is scum.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Gasol is 31 years old and is slow down the court. Slower than your typical PF.. Gay is 24 and will added star quickness that could not be added without dropping some length. The Lakers need a replacement for Kobe and are desperate for someone who can take the ball to the hole while defending the opponents guard.
A lot depends on how they evaluate Kobe's health going forward and, more significantly, who the new coach is and what system he runs.

If they are going away from the triangle, a respectable point guard has to be their top priority.

Gasol is not a guy who runs the floor like Amare Stoudemire or Karl Malone but he's longer and more athletic than most fours. He plays a lot of center. That's quite a bit to replace.

As far as looking at Gay as restocking under Kobe, this team can't be worried about re-stocking at this point, especially with big ticket players. Its goal has to be widening its championship window now. Even if I were to buy that as a goal, Gay is not a suitable replacement for Kobe. At his best in four or five NBA seasons, he's produced about as well as Artest was in Sacramento or Indiana. He is not an elite scorer, he's a pretty solid wing player who contributes in various ways. I would say his ceiling is Shawn Marion, who was a very good player for Phoenix, but not a franchise guy.

05-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Loved the Lakers of the Jerry West and Elgin Baylor era. Admired the compete level of the Magic Johnson teams.

It is easy to not like the Bryant-led Lakers for obvious reasons that have nothing to do with jealousy. Well for reasons that most people get anyway.
DING DING DING ... winner winner Chicken Parm Dinner ... I'll even add I liked the Shaq 3 peat team when Kobe knew his place in the pecking order ... it's when his ego took over, he ***** that girl and got off scott free, and his punk ass whinny *****iness became the face that ruined the Lakers that the team became the fLakers and died in my eyes ... get rid of him, and I'll be a LAKER fan once again.

Last edited by Puck U: 05-10-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Wow, I never knew the emotional issues at work here. This is like psychotherapy.

Please, tell me more about how much you hate someone you've never met and someone you know nothing about, other than that he's one of the basketball greats who happens to have five rings.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Wow, I never knew the emotional issues at work here. This is like psychotherapy.

Please, tell me more about how much you hate someone you've never met and someone you know nothing about, other than that he's one of the basketball greats who happens to have five rings.
I don't think anyone really needs to know him personally, to know he is a complete tool.

Kobe will go to the Hall of fame, and be one of BB best ever.
It is really sad that His legacy will be.

"Kobe Bryant Condoms" for the Sex you don't want, But you're going to get anyway.

No one really cares that Kobe has Five Rings. At least I don't

Last edited by damacles1156: 05-10-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old
05-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

He's always creeped me out but I try to keep my emotions out of my thinking about what happened in a season and what should happen going forward. It's not that tough to do, especially once you're around pro teams enough to appreciate what all these guys do to compete.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:21 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I don't think anyone really needs to know him personally, to know he is a complete tool.

Kobe will go to the Hall of fame, and be one of BB best ever.
It is really sad that His legacy will be.

"Kobe Bryant Condoms" for the Sex you don't want, But you're going to get anyway.

No one really cares that Kobe has Five Rings. At least I don't
I think this is a great point. There are lots of people that post here that don't know me personally, and yet...uh, wait.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:23 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
I think this is a great point. There are lots of people that post here that don't know me personally, and yet...uh, wait.
I just spit soda all over my desk......Thanks Kings17.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:02 PM
scramble91

wow...i should have known better than opening up a bb thread in a hockey forum. There is way too much hate in here.

Bottomline is this- I dont care who or what the players are...if they bring a championship who cares if they are whiners or tools or whatever else.

And K17- you liked the magic johnson era eh? He was a ***** too when it came to winning...he personally ousted the coach with his whining to Dr Buss. Does that make him a worse basketball player? No...did he hurt the team? no...he brought a championship. Same thing with Kobe..he might not be the best person...but he sure as hell helped bring 5 more championships to LA.

I suppose nobody here liked the Jordan era either then? He personified being a tool to his teammates and people around him (ownership). Or the Celtics thugs?

In basketball, you need people with killer instincts with a tenacious competitive drive...typically, those people arent going to be considered nice because they want to win plain and simple. This is why you dont see many championship teams outside the Spurs that have all "character" guys.

He has the talent, work ethic and competitive drive and has represented LA for 14 seasons. Like him or hate him...he is one of the best professional athletes of all time. We cant say any of those things about any king can we? or I guess he isnt a character guy....so alot of you haters cant bring yourselfs to admit the facts.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
wow...i should have known better than opening up a bb thread in a hockey forum. There is way too much hate in here.

Bottomline is this- I dont care who or what the players are...if they bring a championship who cares if they are whiners or tools or whatever else.

And K17- you liked the magic johnson era eh? He was a ***** too when it came to winning...he personally ousted the coach with his whining to Dr Buss. Does that make him a worse basketball player? No...did he hurt the team? no...he brought a championship. Same thing with Kobe..he might not be the best person...but he sure as hell helped bring 5 more championships to LA.

I suppose nobody here liked the Jordan era either then? He personified being a tool to his teammates and people around him (ownership). Or the Celtics thugs?

In basketball, you need people with killer instincts with a tenacious competitive drive...typically, those people arent going to be considered nice because they want to win plain and simple. This is why you dont see many championship teams outside the Spurs that have all "character" guys.

He has the talent, work ethic and competitive drive and has represented LA for 14 seasons. Like him or hate him...he is one of the best professional athletes of all time. We cant say any of those things about any king can we? or I guess he isnt a character guy....so alot of you haters cant bring yourselfs to admit the facts.
Never said Kobe wasn't a good player; He is a sure fire Hall of fame player.. I don't have to like him.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Never said Kobe wasn't a good player; He is a sure fire Hall of fame player.. I don't have to like him.
As a diehard Laker fan...i could care less if any of the players are ******. I just care if they win and bring some championships to LA.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post

I admired Magic's level of compete. I was not a real fan of those Laker teams. It is a lot easier to like Magic than it is to like Kobe though.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
scramble91

Quote:
I admired Magic's level of compete. I was not a real fan of those Laker teams. It is a lot easier to like Magic than it is to like Kobe though.
I would argue Kobe's compete level is way higher than Magics ever was...(Kobe may be an ass...but the guys compete level and work ethic is amongst the best in NBA history).

but i would conceed that Magic is alot easier to like than Kobe tho..

Old
05-10-2011, 06:21 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995

Laker fan in Dallas, man does it suck to be here right now.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 06:24 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post

lol.. i feel for you.

But look at the history of the lakers vs the mavs? Even the sun shines on a dogs A** once in a while.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
no name

Bynum getting a 5 game suspension is complete BS. NBA Channel announced last night that the league was suspending him 2 games per Stern's approval. Stern simply made an example out of Bynum with the 5 games. It was completely unpresidented. Players never get suspended for flagrant fouls unless the person got injured. Even then it's never more than 2 games. Instead, they more than doubled the suspension. There is a reason Stern is considered to be the worst commissioner is pro sports history. He lies through his teeth and never fails to be a hypocrite. That is going to cost Bynum just under 770 thousand dollars and it hurts the team.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 06:36 PM
scramble91

Yea NN...that is just plain wrong.

The NBA is turning into a pansy league...in the 80's it would have just been a foul..lol.

Even the NHL is getting dumb with the suspensions and everything else. Soon...we are all going to have to turn to watching soccer since they have always been pansies

Old
05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
... Actually I have a better pic. Had this on a poster actually, for a while.

Quote:
Bynum getting a 5 game suspension is complete BS. NBA Channel announced last night that the league was suspending him 2 games per Stern's approval. Stern simply made an example out of Bynum with the 5 games. It was completely unpresidented. Players never get suspended for flagrant fouls unless the person got injured. Even then it's never more than 2 games. Instead, they more than doubled the suspension. There is a reason Stern is considered to be the worst commissioner is pro sports history. He lies through his teeth and never fails to be a hypocrite. That is going to cost Bynum just under 770 thousand dollars and it hurts the team.
... If Bynum played for an east coast team, he wouldn't have been suspended at all. It would have been filed under "hey that's rough eastern conference basketball (TM), man up pansy".

Old
05-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Bynum play was bad news, not only was it poor sportsmanship on a prominent stage but the guy was totally vulnerable and, from an image standpoint, a lot smaller.

There was a time when he wouldn't have even been tossed for it but he would also have had to answer to their big guys. At that time, a punch in a basketball game was not cause for shrieks of horror and multiple ejections.

The league drops the hammer on that kind of stuff now, I'm not surprised by the length of the suspension at all.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:32 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Didn't Arena get less time for bringing a gun into the lockerroom? lol

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Arenas was suspended from mid-January until the end of the season so that's quite a few games, most of the season.

As for Bynum, this is at least his third flagrant-2 foul, he had one on Gerald Wallace and one on Michael Beasley in the past. That and his lack of contrition definitely played into the league's decision here.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:21 PM
no name

I noticed they fined him 25k for taking his shirt off. I did a quick search and could not come up with any recent fines like that before. Howard did not get fined for taking his shirt off after an ejection the last two years. I know Artest did not get fined. Fines are open knowlege and the last one that I could find was Rodman. He had done it over a dozen times in his career.

Can anyone help me out here? I am not a fan of a guy being made an example of. At least be consistant.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
damacles1156

I think it comes down too. David Stern is trying to get BB image away from the thug life. Basketball lately looks like it is trying to clean up some areas. The fouls, the dress code, ETC ETC.

Looks like he wants his players to act more professional and not so much emotional. That's just my opinion though take it with a grain of salt.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Fines are open knowlege and the last one that I could find was Rodman. He had done it over a dozen times in his career.
... Did Rodman get fined or suspended for kicking that sideline cameraman in the jimmy? That was pretty hilarious, actually; the cameraman milked it for all it was worth.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't remember the Howard ejections clearly but I do know that Dwight wears one of those V-shaped compression shirts under his jersey.

I can recall other guys being fined for going bare-chested for sure, Rodman you mentioned, Udonis Haslem was fined for it after a scrap with someone on the Pacers (I'm thinking Jermaine O'Neal).

The bottom line is that the NBA was really pissed at Bynum and were going to give him no quarter here. They didn't go above and beyond but they certainly went as far as they could in letting him know how they felt.