HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF|Game 3|Washington Capitals @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 05-03-2011 - 6:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFulmineus View Post
Moderate luck to you guys. And may the best team win!
Any word on whether Kubina or Gagne will play?

Old
05-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I have little to no confidence they will win this game.

That said...they win 4-3 and the misery continues another day.
Dude, looks like the kid is knocking that fighting spirit right out of you, cheer up, tonight we win!

Old
05-03-2011, 09:05 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Nothing yet....but if he does play...it'll be for Erskine...and it'll suck.
Schultz should be flat out benched for the ot winner on Sunday. But you're right, he won't be.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:05 AM
tycoonheart

Much easier to go into this game with 0 expectation. That way you don't get crushed when they lose.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:07 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Caps are not a first period team. With the 6:30 start, it'll seem like two first periods. I'm guessing another 3rd period comeback is going to be required to win this one.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Integral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Much easier to go into this game with 0 expectation. That way you don't get crushed when they lose.
I can't help but feel that you do in fact have an expectation for this game.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:10 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Old
05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral View Post
I can't help but feel that you do in fact have an expectation for this game.
Heh, well, I should've said expectation of winning.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:13 AM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Any word on whether Kubina or Gagne will play?
Boucher says there is a "slim" chance of them playing tonight, so I would be very surprised. Hopefully the Caps will go easy on Gags' poor skull.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:18 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Schultz should be flat out benched for the ot winner on Sunday. But you're right, he won't be.
I haven't been to vocal about it because I really don't feel like arguing with Millhaus and txpd about it...but Schultz has been ****ing brutal these last two games. He's just not a playoff player at this point in his development and may damn well never be. Big giant soft ***** tree.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Capsman

I had a dream last night that the Caps lost the series and, after a couple days passing, I came to grips with it. Then I woke up, and couldn't decide whether to be happy or sad; happy that we were still in it or sad that I would have to go through a grieving period again

Anyhow, God please let me be wrong, but I don't see us holding TB to 1 goal in 3 or 4 of the next 5 games. That is what it will take to win it, because I see absolutely no indication whatsoever that we can score more than 2 goals more than once or twice the rest of the series.

Look at ourselves, we are now looking at Alex Ovechkin and Nick Backstrom as liabilities. We've come to the point where we say "darn, if only we had better players than those two". I'm pretty sure there are 29 other teams that would love to take them off our hands.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Yeah Schultz isnt a good matchup for the Bolts, when he does occasionally take the body he is so far out of the play and way too slow to get back into it.

I'm trying to give him a pass for this season cause of the mono battle over the offseason, but damn I don't think I would be too upset if he magically got moved this offseason.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:32 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I had a dream last night that the Caps lost the series and, after a couple days passing, I came to grips with it. Then I woke up, and couldn't decide whether to be happy or sad; happy that we were still in it or sad that I would have to go through a grieving period again

Anyhow, God please let me be wrong, but I don't see us holding TB to 1 goal in 3 or 4 of the next 5 games. That is what it will take to win it, because I see absolutely no indication whatsoever that we can score more than 2 goals more than once or twice the rest of the series.

Look at ourselves, we are now looking at Alex Ovechkin and Nick Backstrom as liabilities. We've come to the point where we say "darn, if only we had better players than those two". I'm pretty sure there are 29 other teams that would love to take them off our hands.
Who said Ovechkin is a liability? He's been fine - he's scored 4 goals in the playoffs in 7 games and all of that was without a top line center to play with.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post

WE? I don't think so...

Old
05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I haven't been to vocal about it because I really don't feel like arguing with Millhaus and txpd about it...but Schultz has been ****ing brutal these last two games. He's just not a playoff player at this point in his development and may damn well never be. Big giant soft ***** tree.
Yeah perhaps not the time or the thread to discuss, but he's #1 on my list to be shipped out somewhere anywhere after the season just so they can resign Hannan.

In light of recent world events, this thread needs some appropriate quotes, say from Blackhawk Down -
"All right, listen up. We're gonna hold the perimeter and we're gonna hold the strongpoint. Conserve your ammo. Only shoot at what you can hit. The convoy is gonna come. We're gonna get home."~

Old
05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
It's kind of ironic. First game after our kill the time between series debates over Sarge's high TOI vs Erskine's re: wideman coming back, Sarge's TOI plummeted. And it continued into game 2. And in his limited TOI, that plus 5 is coming back to earf - +2.

Fact is Tampa has damn good high skilled forwards. Watching him trying to learn how to be physical... i just get the sense that now is not the time to change him. I hate it, every year someone changes their game for the playoffs and is a total noob at it. Like storming the net, clearing the net, hitting. Why in the world is it not practiced methodically in the preseason?

Old
05-03-2011, 09:45 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Is it any surprise that he looks like crap against a team whose best forward isn't Erik Christiansen?

The most glaring thing is how freaking horrible he looks on the PK, which is supposed to be his "strength".

Old
05-03-2011, 09:52 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Yeah I saw him laboring on the PK. I wonder if they have targeted him to pass under his wingspan to the guy in the slot. I would. Any plays designed to include quick passing, i would target the slowest guy with the most oversized twig for the primary pass.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Schultz hasn't been good at all, and I don't really care what they do with him... be it a trade or what going forward, but this guy isn't the reason that the Caps are trailing in this series. The team isn't scoring, and the powerplay is dreadful. Both have been issues all year and it is fitting that these shortcomings should threaten to derail the Capitals' season in the playoffs. The money on this team, which is sunk into offensive players, isn't pulling its own weight.

The Caps have far bigger problems than a sluggish $2.75M defenseman who has very little bearing on the success or failure of the Caps' PP or offense.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:55 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

It's too small of a sample size right now, but Tampa's PP has improved by 22% against us compared to their regular season pace.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
that's because, when it counts, they've got guys who can get it done. Everyone and their mother knew that Vinny would bury that one. Everyone in the building knew that St. Louis was going to make all the plays that he needed to help his team to win.

When it counts, we don't. We have one or two, and some over the hill players. We take dumb penalties. Our third and fourth liners provide minimal contributions.

We've got players who do their own thing and don't play for the team.

I realize they've all bought fully into the defensive system, but there's a point when you have 35-40ish shots and numerous chances, even with a defensive system, and you can't score, when it's on the players, not the system.

All the money that's dumped into the forwards (for better or worse) and an offensive defenseman, should put out some goals. They haven't, and it's frustrating.

Now, one bounce here or there, and they're at worst 1-1. That's the frustrating part.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

start varly and lets roll tampa like we know we can

Old
05-03-2011, 10:05 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Schultz hasn't been good at all, and I don't really care what they do with him... be it a trade or what going forward, but this guy isn't the reason that the Caps are trailing in this series. The team isn't scoring, and the powerplay is dreadful. Both have been issues all year and it is fitting that these shortcomings should threaten to derail the Capitals' season in the playoffs. The money on this team, which is sunk into offensive players, isn't pulling its own weight.

The Caps have far bigger problems than a sluggish $2.75M defenseman who has very little bearing on the success or failure of the Caps' PP or offense.
Id agree with you...until the Caps made the decision to switch from an offensive team to a defensive one mid season. Now the emphasis is on playing well defensively and winning games 2-1 or 3-2...but when the defenders are making the mistakes to turn those scores the other way...I'm looking at slow ass Schultz before under preforming Backstrom. (That being said...Backstrom is a ****ing ghost in these playoffs. What the hell is going on there?)

Old
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It is remarkable that we havent been able to adjust the PP after the leagues collective PK'ers figured out to aggressively play our point men to shoot.

Its ugly. Just passing it around the perimeter, its apparent our overall team passing is atrocious. There is no zip on any of the passes. Its no surprise to see PK forwards all over us with such slow passing. And lack of movement from those without the puck. Our screen in front thing is failing miserably. Sure our attempts there will limit movement of the players, but then we need to zing shots at the net early and often if we are going to live or die by (the often 2) screeners in front.

The goalie still sees the shots if they get through. They are not screening. They are rebound fishing.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:17 AM
alexthekidd

From the F'in Twitter:

No Wideman, Neuvirth starts.

Closed Thread