HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF|Game 3|Washington Capitals @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 05-03-2011 - 6:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
I wonder if Neuvy will have a short leash tonight. If we go down two in the first, circumstances of which be damned, I think we see a change.

Again. I dont pin the 2 loses on him but do think his play has been... average. But not stellar. Its becoming clear that we will need stellar G play to get past tampa since our offensive endeavors are becoming futile, our PK worked.

We probably will need a G to steal a game for us, its an age old recipe for success in the playoffs.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

vCash: 500
not that thrilled to be going back to neuvy after losing 3 of his last 4 starts and letting in some iffy goals all playoffs. But if we lose the series its going to be BB job on the line so I hope he makes the right choice.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:33 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Not sure how you guys can blame Sarge.... I mean, dude had mono! He's still recovering. Let's give him a healthy offseason and THEN see what this coaching staff can do with him.

for the mentally impared.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:34 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I wonder, as a tampa player, who would they rather see in net tonight? Sure it means little to nothing, but I think its not a stretch for at least some of them to see Varly on the bench and be glad he is there. He has flat out stood on his head in playoffs past and saved our teams ass from complete playoff humiliation. Maybe Bruce's too.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:36 AM
WcRoenick97

What's really disgusting when you think about is that our PP was figured out LAST APRIL, and it still hasn't improved. That is one of the things that pisses me off most. The PP has been in a rut for the PAST YEAR. That's unacceptable for a team with this much talent.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:41 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Not sure how you guys can blame Sarge.... I mean, dude had mono! He's still recovering. Let's give him a healthy offseason and THEN see what this coaching staff can do with him.
I had a mono/stereo joke for this, but I lost it.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
not that thrilled to be going back to neuvy after losing 3 of his last 4 starts and letting in some iffy goals all playoffs. But if we lose the series its going to be BB job on the line so I hope he makes the right choice.
Are you really blaming Neuvirth for the two losses? Really?

Old
05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
WcRoenick97

While I don't blame Game 1 OR 2 on Neuvy, TB feels confident against him. They know they can score on him. I would've started Varly tonight just because he could possibly make doubt creep in among the TB forwards if he came out on fire. But that's just like..my opinion man.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

OOOOOOHHHHHH!!! I hope Olie gets a shutout tonight!!!!!

Old
05-03-2011, 11:49 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

OT a little but I really wish the Caps would come up with a new goalie chant.

Nuevy... Nuevy.... or Varly... Varly... is just so 1999. Do they show a picture of Godzilla breathing fire still with that chant.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I admit I wanted to see Varly tonight 60-40. I dont feel really strong about it but do love coaches getting inside other players heads. Doing everything they can as coaches. Its not like its a huge talent drop off to go to Varly, assuming rust is not in play. In playoffs past, rust was not in play.

As Roenick said, they like where they are now and that probably includes seeing Neuvy. They dont want us to change anything we are doing. I was hoping they would take the ice tonight and say to themselves, oh look, it's him.

Career playoff numbers including getting shelled in that 7, and our offensive mystery tour versus Montreal last year, and general disdain for defense...

10-9 2.49 / .915 / 2 Shutouts

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473575

Old
05-03-2011, 11:54 AM
CaptainKonoForever

Honestly though...if the caps PP has been struggling for this long...that is coaching my friends. I am not endorsing hiring a new coach but simply stating a fact. If a PP is that bad for that long with that personnel....than it is the coaching without a doubt in my mind.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Are you really blaming Neuvirth for the two losses? Really?

Not blaming Neuvy, but i dont see that much difference in the skill level between Varly and Neuvy and if a goalie change can wake up a dead PP or other sleeping players. Varly has a great history versus tampa and I have no doubt he would bring his A game if he got the start.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Integral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
What's really disgusting when you think about is that our PP was figured out LAST APRIL, and it still hasn't improved. That is one of the things that pisses me off most. The PP has been in a rut for the PAST YEAR. That's unacceptable for a team with this much talent.
I disagree that it hasn't improved. Back in November/December the power play was completely glacial, towards the end of the season it warmed up a little and now it's a least a bit tepid. They haven't pocketed any chances yet this series, but they have created chances.

Definitely not where I'd like to see it, but it could definitely be worse.

Quote:
Not blaming Neuvy, but i dont see that much difference in the skill level between Varly and Neuvy and if a goalie change can wake up a dead PP or other sleeping players. Varly has a great history versus tampa and I have no doubt he would bring his A game if he got the start.
Yeah, I also don't think there's that much of a skill difference between Neuvy and Varly, but it may be that Varly's more athletic style is better suited to Tampa Bay's approach of crashing the net. Not to mention that Varly is undoubtedly much fresher and would be intensely focused.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
txpd

fresher=rusty. definately not a sure thing

Old
05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
OT a little but I really wish the Caps would come up with a new goalie chant.

Nuevy... Nuevy.... or Varly... Varly... is just so 1999. Do they show a picture of Godzilla breathing fire still with that chant.
Agree 100% because the fans at the VC these days are so much more sophisticated with their "Who Cares" and "1-2-3- it's all your fault" chants. \

and we don't need anymore defenseman with mono, we need a defenseman that has a quadrophonic Blaupunkt.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Duke33

Quote:
So say Varlamov was in net for the first two games. Does he stop the deflected goal off of Hannan somehow? Does he miraculously make the stop on the puck deflected in off Green's stick? Is he able to stop Lecavalier's shot on the 2 on 1?

It's not like Neuvirth is getting shelled. The first goal Tampa got in Game 1 was also a general bum-rush of the net where the defense didn't clear people (and one of our guys was crosschecked to the ice) and Neuvirth had been practically knocked down. Does Varlamov make any of these saves? I don't think anyone would.

It's ironic this is coming up. Last year people were saying Varlamov wasn't getting it done, when he was allowing two goals a game. I guess if the Caps offense is going to continue to sputter and the PP is going to do nothing, then yeah I suppose whoever the goalie is has to shut everyone out. But that's not realistic. If the offense was doing its job nobody would be talking about a goaltender change.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Its hard to look at varlamovs 1.49 gaa and .949sp in 4 games vs tampa this season and not want to give him a chance

Old
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Varly is more agressive. And IMHO better against odd man rushes. So we can try full run and gun with him with slightly better chances. In theory.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:29 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It should surprise no one that goalie play is huge in the playoffs. Varly last year didnt steal any games versus Montreal and we lost. If Neuvy doesnt steal any games against Tampa, we will probably lose. Goaltender play is the single greatest factor in determining a games outcome. It is always under scrutiny.

A G change is an easy thing for a coach to try and do to awaken his sleeping giant, or fluck with an awake one. Remember how the goalie changes to Varly in years past went? Sure he eventually came back to earth but we have a decent track record when turning to rusty Varly.

The key is to not overwork him, and not be afraid to go back to the number 1 that got you there in the first place.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-03-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old
05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

SWhyno Stephen Whyno

by JapersRink

Guy Boucher says Simon Gagne, Pavel Kubina both out tonight vs. Caps. "they're day to day except for today and tomorrow."

Old
05-03-2011, 12:57 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
While I don't blame Game 1 OR 2 on Neuvy, TB feels confident against him. They know they can score on him. I would've started Varly tonight just because he could possibly make doubt creep in among the TB forwards if he came out on fire. But that's just like..my opinion man.
doubt isn't going to start creeping into TB minds unless we win the next 2 games. their confidence is at all-time high. we're not going to put a dent in it with a personnel change.

to me, the main thing is to try to get that first goal. and to get the PP going again. but big-picture, we played better in 2nd game than first, and we did dominate big chunks of both games. reminds me of the Torts quote during round 1: "we're not that far off." i believe that's true about the caps. we don't need to panic yet. we just need to get a lead and play smart.

i sure wouldn't mind winning one of these two road games by a score of 5-1 or something like that. seems like we're due for at least ONE of those games in these playoffs.

my son went to bed crying after the first 2 games in this series. this morning i told him, 'tonight we either climb back into this thing, or we don't. but i have a feeling we will.' AO, noobs, arnott, laich, hendricks, hannan, and bleeder are not going down without a fight.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
TRASHCAT

over/under we lose this game on a bad line change?

Old
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
DracoFulmineus
Out in a storm

Wait, why wouldn't you guys start Zoidberg? He's been solid in the net so far this series.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:21 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
doubt isn't going to start creeping into TB minds unless we win the next 2 games. their confidence is at all-time high. we're not going to put a dent in it with a personnel change.

to me, the main thing is to try to get that first goal. and to get the PP going again. but big-picture, we played better in 2nd game than first, and we did dominate big chunks of both games. reminds me of the Torts quote during round 1: "we're not that far off." i believe that's true about the caps. we don't need to panic yet. we just need to get a lead and play smart.

i sure wouldn't mind winning one of these two road games by a score of 5-1 or something like that. seems like we're due for at least ONE of those games in these playoffs.

my son went to bed crying after the first 2 games in this series. this morning i told him, 'tonight we either climb back into this thing, or we don't. but i have a feeling we will.' AO, noobs, arnott, laich, hendricks, hannan, and bleeder are not going down without a fight.
Need to tell son that the Caps are chokers and you better get used to it. Or else tell him that hockey has little meaning and there is no use in getting upset over the Caps when you have your whole life ahead of you! I would hate to see his sadness when they are out of it.

Closed Thread