HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF|Game 3|Washington Capitals @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 05-03-2011 - 6:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Here's a thought...

Play smart team hockey and hustle for 60 minutes. Outwork them on the PP. You know, all the **** they teach you when you're 15 that these millionaires have struggled with.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Need to tell son that the Caps are chokers and you better get used to it. Or else tell him that hockey has little meaning and there is no use in getting upset over the Caps when you have your whole life ahead of you! I would hate to see his sadness when they are out of it.
well, that's uplifting.

i think i'll replay Kurt Russell 'Miracle' speech instead. just to ramp up his expectations/anxiety even further.

just kidding.

i may send him out on a playdate and just TIVO game 3. only let him watch if it turns out well.

so complicated being a parent nowadays. but technology helps.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

How long have we been dealing with this? Really, better to let him learn the life lessons now.

As Bart Simpson said, "Can't win, don't try. Got it".

Old
05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
tycoonheart

Well, the good thing is you live in LA and you guys have seen winners the past few years.

Try being a fan of all DC sports teams.

Yeah, not for the faint of heart.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Its time for Hayata to pull out his beta capsule damnit

Old
05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Here's a thought...

Play smart team hockey and hustle for 60 minutes. Outwork them on the PP. You know, all the **** they teach you when you're 15 that these millionaires have struggled with.
and here were are finally. the jagr'ing of ovechkin. its all been a sad and vicious joke. after all the awards and growth and attention, they remain the washington capitals. not talented enough to win when they get a good playoff seed on effort and not able to apply effort or be mentally tough enough when they have the talent.

either way the result is always the same. horribly embarrassing failure.

so, the reality. never mind the rest of the series. the caps are screwed for the long term. locked into decade long contracts for rich underperforming players ovechkin and backstrom. cant trade em and cant win with em.

that or they win some games here the next week and save themselves from that.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:59 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
and here were are finally. the jagr'ing of ovechkin. its all been a sad and vicious joke. after all the awards and growth and attention, they remain the washington capitals. not talented enough to win when they get a good playoff seed on effort and not able to apply effort or be mentally tough enough when they have the talent.

either way the result is always the same. horribly embarrassing failure.

so, the reality. never mind the rest of the series. the caps are screwed for the long term. locked into decade long contracts for rich underperforming players ovechkin and backstrom. cant trade em and cant win with em.

that or they win some games here the next week and save themselves from that.
You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think that.

Not that they'd ever trade them, but they could in a second.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:06 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Wup cant criticize ovy around here. or anything else for that matter.

I like how you changed if ovy tried harder post into this franchise is doomed. Rationality at its best. D&G always has spots open ya know. Though youd be a pretty big downer.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
GijsGroenland

I'll put my alarm clock on 1:30 am to watch the game here in the Netherlands.
Let's go Caps! I believe!

Old
05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Well, the good thing is you live in LA and you guys have seen winners the past few years.

Try being a fan of all DC sports teams.

Yeah, not for the faint of heart.
i AM fan of all DC sports teams. grew up in Chevy Chase. don't root for any L.A. teams.

i liked the dude checking in from the Netherlands. if he can believe, i can too. we can do this, people.

txpd, you kept the rest of us on an even keel for so long, let us now return the favor. one game at a time, brother. we win tonight, and this thing is still eminently doable.

GO, CAPS!!!!!!!

Old
05-03-2011, 01:16 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Agree 100% because the fans at the VC these days are so much more sophisticated with their "Who Cares" and "1-2-3- it's all your fault" chants. \

and we don't need anymore defenseman with mono, we need a defenseman that has a quadrophonic Blaupunkt.
I don't know who comes up with this stuff but they'd get a donkey punch from me before it caught on

Old
05-03-2011, 01:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post

I like how you changed if ovy tried harder post into this franchise is doomed. Rationality at its best. D&G always has spots open ya know. Though youd be a pretty big downer.
i am not going on a long exchange over this. overpayed and underperforming is jagr country. right? where did i say that you cant criticize ovechkin. facts are facts. if they lose again, he is fully establishing himself as a thornton class loser. am i wrong?

Old
05-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post

Really, i thought thats all you do...

The more i read thru Caps threads the more disappointed i get. This team doesn't have enough positive support, not that positive support would help our boys win, but with all this *****ing and moaning its hard to stay positive... i think i need to take a break from this site...

Old
05-03-2011, 01:23 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
if they lose again, he is fully establishing himself as a thornton class loser. am i wrong?
Is that your thought or are you saying that is going to be the thought of the masses?

I'd like to know how you personally would feel about that.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:24 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Really, i thought thats all you do...

The more i read thru Caps threads the more disappointed i get. This team doesn't have enough positive support, not that positive support would help our boys win, but with all this *****ing and moaning its hard to stay positive... i think i need to take a break from this site...
This team has more than enough support. The fans show up and turn Verizon Center into one of the loudest arenas in sports. They wear their red and cheer for the team non-stop. What else kind of support do they need?

Old
05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
txpd

Quote:
Is that your thought or are you saying that is going to be the thought of the masses?

I'd like to know how you personally would feel about that.
absolutely both

Old
05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
This team has more than enough support. The fans show up and turn Verizon Center into one of the loudest arenas in sports. They wear their red and cheer for the team non-stop. What else kind of support do they need?
I said on this site.

See you in the next round. They gonna make it.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The big difference between Ovechkin and Thornton is that Ovechkin' s postseason numbers are fantastic.

Another Capitals choke and I'd say Alfredsson is a better comparison.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
0/4 PP
1/5 PK

Caps lose 2-1.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
I said on this site.

See you in the next round. They gonna make it.
I'm not sure what you're saying. I doubt the players are reading this. Plus us posters staying positive on this site isn't miraculously going to make them play better.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Ovie's Neighbor

It is times like these where I ask myself are we cursed. I have been a fan of this team for 20+ years. I remember parking in the Stars and Stripes lot at USAIR arena and listening to Brick and Block commercials on the post game show on the drive home. I don't know if I can survive another postseason failure. God I hope they win.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:10 PM
BobRouse

Caps will steamroll them tonight and go into tomorrow with a ton of momentum and confidence. They will take both.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:11 PM
SnoogansDC

Hey my friend in NL, you might want to check that alarm clock, I'm watching the game tonight from Belgium and it starts at 00.30.

Come on boys tonight is the night to turn it on!!

Old
05-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral View Post
I disagree that it hasn't improved. Back in November/December the power play was completely glacial, towards the end of the season it warmed up a little and now it's a least a bit tepid. They haven't pocketed any chances yet this series, but they have created chances.

Definitely not where I'd like to see it, but it could definitely be worse.

Yeah, I also don't think there's that much of a skill difference between Neuvy and Varly, but it may be that Varly's more athletic style is better suited to Tampa Bay's approach of crashing the net. Not to mention that Varly is undoubtedly much fresher and would be intensely focused.
The improved PP at the latter stages of the season coincided with Green's absence due to the concussion and Wideman and Arnott's arrival. In particular, Wideman was a breath of fresh air compared to Green because Wideman excelled at making quick wristers or slap shots that weren't blocked and got to the goalie, often creating rebound opportunities. Wideman was also excellent at quick puck distribution and movement. I recall at one point either Alan May or Locker suggesting that hopefully Green in the press box was taking notes of Wideman's play. However, based on the PP in the playoffs, it appears that Green lost his notes. Once Wideman went down late in the season, Laich got time at that point and showed that he still had his notes from watching Wideman played, as Laich also excelled at getting quick shots to the net. With Green in the playoffs, it's back to Green getting the puck, wait, survey, wait, fake the slap shot, wait, pass to Ovey or Backstrom, get the puck returned to him, repeat.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:40 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The big difference between Ovechkin and Thornton is that Ovechkin' s postseason numbers are fantastic.

Another Capitals choke and I'd say Alfredsson is a better comparison.
i'll buy that except that ovechkin is a thornton class star or greater. alfredsson is not at that level and that is what i really meant by that.

regardless. a reputation will have been firmly established. there was hope here that the ovechkin caps would dismiss the previous caps history from langway to kolzig of the playoff choke. they stand at the entrance of becoming at least as great the choker as the langway teams if not the greatest in team history.

every season that goes by the weight ovechkin carries becomes heavier and the effort required to shoulder it greater. this past regular season, i believe we saw the result of that weight and we continue to see it in backstrom's results.

it saps the joy out of the game. ovechkin was all joy.

personally, i think if they lose here that bad things are coming.

i feel better about them winning this series than i do about the future if they lose it.

Closed Thread