HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Official IIHF WCH2011 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
The Official IIHF WCH2011 Thread

Only 24 days till the start, so I thought it would be appropriate to make it.

We also do have typical dance music anthem, but I better won`t post it... for your own good.

I will be there since the tournament is in my homeland. (Gonna attend CAN, USA, SWE, SUI matches)

What players do you expect to play?

Devils per TG:
Quote:
Zach Parise (U.S.): No
Andy Greene (U.S.): Hasn’t been asked. Isn’t sure what he will do if he is asked because he is a pending unrestricted free agent. He sounded interested in playing, though.
Martin Brodeur (Canada): No
Travis Zajac (Canada): Hasn’t been asked. If he is asked, he said he will have to wait until after Sunday’s season finale to decide.
Ilya Kovalchuk (Russia): Said Russian officials usually don’t ask until after the regular season. Will definitely play if asked. (So, yes)
Patrik Elias (Czech Republic): Will wait until after Sunday’s game to decide. Elias said he hasn’t been to his home in the Czech Republic for nearly two years and is looking forward to going there, but games are in neighboring Slovakia, so that would interest him. He usually likes to play, but he’s a new father now, so that might change things.
Henrik Tallinder (Sweden): Was asked to play, said “no.”
Johan Hedberg (Sweden): Was asked if he was interested, said, “no.”
Anssi Salmela (Finland) Was asked if he was interested, said he would wait until after the season to make his decision.
Tedenby (Sweden): Was asked to play and said "yes".
Josefson (Sweden): Hasn`t been asked yet. If he is asked he said he`d like to go.
I`m hoping for Zajac and Greene (despite FA). (+ young Swedes). The only names I expected to come. Maybe Tally, but seems like he wants a break.

Other teams - injuries:
- Stastny out - fatigue fracture
- Oshie out - don`t remember
- Hall out - ankle sprain
- Gagner out - hand surgery

Other teams - confirmed to play:
- Pietrangelo, Stewart, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Steen, Tarasenko, Conklin, Halák
- Spezza, E.Kane, Ladd, Nash, Reimer, Phaneuf, Schenn, Pavelec, Dubnyk, Eberle
- Wheeler, Stuart, Tavares, Michalek, Zidlicky, Havlat, Martinek, Vokoun, Porter
- Eriksson, Wandell, Grossman, Montoya, Stapleton, Komisarek, Fayne, Palmieri
- Shannon, Skille, T.Ruutu, M.Koivu, Joensuu, Lepisto

New national teams` coaches:
- Gordon for USA (confirmed)
- Hitchcock for Canada (confirmed)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add players, coaches, GMs, line-ups, anything. Add your opinions as well. This thread will also serve as a discussion thread for the WCH.

Everything appreciated.

Last edited by Getzo5: 04-14-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

I think I speak for fans of all 30 NHL member teams when I say that I selfishly hope nobody from my team plays.

Old
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Most people in North America really don't care about this tournament.

Old
04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I know I just thought it should have separate thread. Care about it or not, it`s still your national teams and players of your teams (league).

I usually don`t care about it either, as an NHL fan, but you have to understand this time it is a little bit different for me.

+ we`re still talking about players, their injuries, their patriotism, their private life or different reasons why they decided to come/not to come. That`s always some interesting stuff to discuss about.

That`s all. (not to mention I had to present Slovakia a bit. )

If I was about to make a decision, I`d at least change the periodicity, that`s for sure. Olympics are much more important.

Last edited by Getzo5: 04-05-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old
04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

It would be kind of a special thing if it was held every 4 years or so...Every year is just ridiculous and it doesn't really interest me...I still think that the performance of Germany last year and the 70.000 fans in the match against USA was special.

I hope you'll enjoy the games, Getzo

Old
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It still baffles me to this day that they hold the WC the same year as the Olympics.

Old
04-05-2011, 05:05 PM
daron7
HFBoards Sponsor

thats awesome, getzo. are you going to any of the games or what?

Old
04-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

I'll catch a few of the games. They are usually on the Universal Sports channel.

I don't know why but I don't get excited for these. It really should be an every 2 or 4 year tournament.

Old
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
It still baffles me to this day that they hold the WC the same year as the Olympics.
Same here, but the decision to have both was made a long time ago and as we know how strong German lobby is, I doubt they would have changed anything a year before anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron7 View Post
thats awesome, getzo. are you going to any of the games or what?
For sure. As I`ve said, I`m going to a couple of Canada, Suisse, Sweden and USA games.

If you`re be able to watch any of those, look for the red Devils jersey, that should be me.

For the SWE-USA and preliminary round game I invited my ex-teacher who`s NJ native and a big Devils fan. I know him for years, should be fun. I`m occasionally working for the Czech edition of ProHockey magazine, so I hope we`ll get a pass to be as close to the players as a fan can be. We`ll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
I'll catch a few of the games. They are usually on the Universal Sports channel.

I don't know why but I don't get excited for these. It really should be an every 2 or 4 year tournament.
Yes it should. But WCH still brings me many great memories. Besides the championship title for my little country. Such as Kovy`s gold medal GWG against Canada three years ago. Absolutely great watch. The line of Kovy-Datsyuk-Malkin (last year) is argueably still one of the best I`ve ever seen and I`ve seen many.

Last edited by Getzo5: 04-05-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Yes it should. But WCH still brings me many great memories. Besides the championship title for my little country. Such as Kovy`s gold medal GWG against Canada three years ago. Absolutely great watch.
I remember watching that game on TV with my dad. That was such an awesome finish.

I will definitely follow Sweden, especially since the Devils will golfing.

Old
04-05-2011, 07:42 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
Simple. Because all the best players arent there, just all the best players from the 14 teams that are eliminated (and that's assuming they all accept their invitations, plenty dont). I'd still watch the medal round games if it werent for the time difference, but Slovakia's probably something like 7 hours ahead of us and I'll be at work.

Old
04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Yeah, but you don`t need the best line-up to play the best hockey. Once Canada has Nash, Laich, Perry, Downie, Duchene, Ward etc. on the team that argument is almost meaningless anyway.

6 hours BG.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
I will be there
Coming from France, 1800 km...

Our France NT fan club organized the trip, we will be about 30 people with french jerseys. I'll probably try to watch some USA games with my red NJ Devils jersey !

The package includes all France games and all group games in Kosice, so I'll see the 3 Canada games.

I just have to buy the plane ticket, and I may stay 2 more days (5th and 6th) for the 1st game of the relegation round, so I'll have to find another hotel as well. And of course, tickets for the other group.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Canada will win this tournament.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belizarius View Post
I will be there
Coming from France, 1800 km...

Our France NT fan club organized the trip, we will be about 30 people with french jerseys. I'll probably try to watch some USA games with my red NJ Devils jersey !

The package includes all France games and all group games in Kosice, so I'll see the 3 Canada games.

I just have to buy the plane ticket, and I may stay 2 more days (5th and 6th) for the 1st game of the relegation round, so I'll have to find another hotel as well. And of course, tickets for the other group.
Nice, so I will see you at CAN-SUI game at least. Watch for another Devils jersey. We should be the only ones haha.

That`s a lot of games (all of them? SWE-USA included?), must have cost you a fortune. Is it paid by French hockey federation or something? Anyway, as I`ve said, if you have some question, PM me here.

See you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Canada will win this tournament.
Is Mess GM again this year? Last year, no offense to youngsters, that team was destined to lose.

Old
04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
Well, it's costing a lot yes
But I kept money all year for this. I had so much fun in Quebec and Mannheim

Old
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Ok then, good for you.

Old
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Nice, so I will see you at CAN-SUI game at least. Watch for another Devils jersey. We should be the only ones haha.

That`s a lot of games (all of them? SWE-USA included?), must have cost you a fortune. Is it paid by French hockey federation or something? Anyway, as I`ve said, if you have some question, PM me here.

See you there.

Is Mess GM again this year? Last year, no offense to youngsters, that team was destined to lose.
No, thank God. It's Nonis this year.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Canada is starting to take shape real, real nice.

Spezza, Nash, Ladd, C. Stewart, Pietrangelo, Duchene have all been officially added to the roster. Optimus Reim will more than likely be one of the goalies, he's said he wants to be there, and Dave Nonis is the GM so he will be. Tavares and Moulson are expected from NYI. One of those is an Olympian, the rest could all be Olympians, except Reimer and Moulson. One of Anaheim/Dallas/Chicago are gonna miss so, there's Toews, Keith, Sharp, Seabrook, Perry, Getzlaf, Richards, Morrow, Robidas, all with a chance to become available.

That's a big core to start with.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

+Eberle, am I right? (such a shame Hall is out, I really wanted to see him)

Really strong core. I think Anaheim WILL make the POs and it`s one of Dallas/Chicago who won`t. Even if I`m wrong, I don`t think Getzlaf will be avaliable. He had an injury, pretty tough season to go through and new-born kid two weeks ago. Same for Richards due to his concussion problems x free agency.

I`m not going to lie, Chicago missing the POs this year would be great for me. Especially watching Tazer live would be superb. With a real shot at winning the tournament I definitely want him to come. He doesn`t have the senior WCH gold yet. + We need Hoss and Kopecky. On the other hand Chicago-Vancouver in the first round would be as great as Boston-Montreal in the East. And I want to see it! + Dallas out means Loui in Slovakia

Questions:
- how about Benn?
- What are Goligoski`s chances to get a call-up?
- How about Evander Kane? He represented last year in Germany.
- If Carolina won`t make it, do you think there is a chance Wardo comes again? (he has already been twice if I remember correctly)

Old
04-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Wardo, Staal and Skinner could all go, I'd say it's 65-35 yes to no ratio. Benn, probably. GoGo is an American, so he might, Evander probably. And if people go in the first round early, then you have that contingent that will show. They want to wear the Leaf. I would like Iginla to go, but he doesn't have to and he probably won't. Tanguay's a possibility. Regher, Bouwmeester, Rene Bourque, Glencross are all solid possibilities to be there.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I know GoGo is American, I just wanted to know your opinion. Should have placed the question somewhere else.

I`m glad to see you think Benn has a chane and also that Wardo might come. He`s one of my favorite goalies in the league (right behind Tim Thomas who I adore). I`m not so much interested in Flames` players (that`s why I wanted them to make the POs haha + because of Jarome) and like you`ve said, Iginla probably won`t go, but... I`ll take any of J-Bow, Regher or Bourque as a kind of consolation prize haha. I dislike Tanguay though.

I`m really curious about American roster too. It`s not hard to figure out what team will Russians and Swedes bring (Czechs and Slovaks as well), but you never know about US. Year after year they should have more and more good young players, but they are still unable to build a competitive team... we`ll see.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Scott Gordon Named Head Coach of 2011 U.S. Men's National Team. Greg Cronin, Phil Housley, and Barry Smith will serve as assistant coaches.

EDIT: Hitchcock to coach Canada. Oh my...

Old
04-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Phaneuf, Schenn and Reimer confirmed to play.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
VaxjoDevil

I know americans don't get excited about this, but for us, it's tradition and childhood memories. Long before we started keeping track on the NHL, there were games in World Cup that meant all hockey fans in European countries go nuts. My best hockey memories, ever, are from the incredible games between USSR and Czechoslovakia when I was a kid in end of 70s, beginning 80s.

Tallinder turned it down because he's applying for a Green Card and can't bring his family. I know this situation exactly from when I got mine. You can't travel too freely.

Closed Thread