HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part VIII - Adam Larsson's Revenge!

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Having another Zajac is fine, but I want a center who can play with an edge and distribute the puck. We all know that Zajac and "edge" are never mentioned in the same breath.
From what I've seen and read about them, Couturier is a bit more physical and tough, and Huberdeau is faster and the better playmaker.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:45 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
If he could only play C at the pro level
How many times do I ha-ohhhhh ho ho ho! you sly dog!

Old
05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Reynolds View Post
Still wish we had Cormier. Guy couldve been a beast on the 3rd or 4th line.
If we still had him, we wouldn't have either Tedenby or Kovalchuk. So I'm not too busted up about it.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
How many times do I ha-ohhhhh ho ho ho! you sly dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
If we still had him, we wouldn't have either Tedenby or Kovalchuk. So I'm not too busted up about it.
Don't follow the Tedenby one. Just a roster spot and capspace?

I was thinking Henrique should be the one that ended driving Cormier the news that he was traded and shouldnt plan on being the 3rd C for us.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post

I was thinking Henrique should be the one that ended driving Cormier the news that he was traded and shouldnt plan on being the 3rd C for us.
I think he meant Merrill.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Devils731

Quote:
I think Tedenby was rumored to be in Cormier's spot at one point in the deal.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

There was Palmieri, then Teddy, then Clarkson, then when the deal was finalized it was Cormier.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
CerebralGenesis

I doubt Lou was realistically going to move Tedenby. I could see Palmieri but Cormier's little head incident was probably the tipping point.

We probably draft Merrill with our top pick regardless of when it was.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
From what I've seen and read about them, Couturier is a bit more physical and tough, and Huberdeau is faster and the better playmaker.
If that's what you red and saw, you weren't reading or watching Sean Couturier. He has the frame to be hard nose player but he isn't and if I had to compare his mean streak with a current NHL player... I'd go with a softer version of Joe Thorton and we all know how badass Jumbo Joe can be

Huberdeau is smaller in stature but plays with a edge to his game and wasn't affraid of dropping the mits when he got pushed around, something you'll never see in Couturier.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:

No, see below.

And yes, the emergence of Henrique and Josefson made Cormier more expendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
I think he meant Merrill.
No, I meant Tedenby, but now that I think about it, we might not have had Merrill either. Or we might have picked him with our original pick. Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
I think Tedenby was rumored to be in Cormier's spot at one point in the deal.
Correct. If we had kept Cormier, and still gotten Kovalchuk, it would have meant that Tedenby was in the deal.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Old
05-03-2011, 02:18 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post

When you're 6"4' 200 and you are playing guys that are 5"9' 180... it doesn't take all the courage in the world to fight once in a blue moon. Huberdeau is 6"1' 170 and plays with a mean streak... something Couturier doesn't have in his bag of tricks.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If that's what you red and saw, you weren't reading or watching Sean Couturier. He has the frame to be hard nose player but he isn't and if I had to compare his mean streak with a current NHL player... I'd go with a softer version of Joe Thorton and we all know how badass Jumbo Joe can be

Huberdeau is smaller in stature but plays with a edge to his game and wasn't affraid of dropping the mits when he got pushed around, something you'll never see in Couturier.
Nonsense. Couturier doesn't fight often, but he does when he needs to. He uses his size well.

These guys are going to be skill players, they don't really need to hit like trains or fight like wolverines. As long as they go to the net and corners hard to get loose pucks (and Couturier does), I'm fine with that.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Nonsense. Couturier doesn't fight often, but he does when he needs to. He uses his size well.

These guys are going to be skill players, they don't really need to hit like trains or fight like wolverines. As long as they go to the net and corners hard to get loose pucks (and Couturier does), I'm fine with that.
LOL... nonsense?

I find it funny that certain posters comment on prospects when they haven't seen a handfull of games of the rookie they are talking about and yet, their perception of that same player is rock solid.

I've seen Couturier play over 45 games (15 live) since last year and I can state that Couturier is the opposite of a "agressive" player. You want a player that goes into corners and fights for loose pucks? If you ask me, that's a must, not a quality. The guy isn't soft but he isn't physical for a player that looks like a Giant versus the rest of his competition and I doubt his courage level will increase when he'll be playing with guys his own size.

P.S. For the fighting part, just look at the size difference between him and the guys he's fighting. I wouldn't be scared either to drop the mits with a guy that looks like a pre-schooler compared to me.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I've watched him at least 15 times in the Q, and in all of Canada's WJC games. So don't act so smug, because I know what I'm talking about. Couturier's physicality is fine. He is willing to battle in the corners and crease.

I've watched less of Huberdeau, but I gather that he is similarly willing to battle, he just has less size to do it with. Watching his goals, they often look like Parise's.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
CerebralGenesis

I think Huberdeau's grit is what is appealing along with his Giroux-like comparisons.

Watching Giroux makes me want Huberdeau more, not sure if that is fair or not tho

Old
05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I've watched him at least 15 times in the Q, and in all of Canada's WJC games. So don't act so smug, because I know what I'm talking about. Couturier's physicality is fine. He is willing to battle in the corners and crease.

I've watched less of Huberdeau, but I gather that he is similarly willing to battle, he just has less size to do it with. Watching his goals, they often look like Parise's.
Couturier isn't a physical player, it's really not that complicated. When I consider someone physical, it's because he can throw bodychecks and will intimidate the opposition by the way he plays the game, not because god gave him a big body. Going into corners is part of the game so like I said in my earlier post, it's a must... not a quality. If you are going in the top #10, you better go into corners and fight for loose pucks, no?

You can be 5"7' and be more physical then a guy that's 6"3' and that's what Couturier is... a big body with no physical presence to his game. He'll throw bodychecks cause that's how the game is played but he won't put any fear in the opposition when he's on the ice and with the "advantage" he has over the rest of the league, I would've liked for him to utilise his body to his advantage but that's not the case.

The same thing has been said about Gélinas. A big guy that should create fear in the eyes of his opponents but doesn't cause he doesn't have that mean streak to his game when he cleary has a size advantage against the rest of the players who are playing in the "Q".

Old
05-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
I think Huberdeau's grit is what is appealing along with his Giroux-like comparisons.

Watching Giroux makes me want Huberdeau more, not sure if that is fair or not tho
Not entirely. They are similar, but still different players. Huberdeau's potential is to be as good as Giroux. There's no guarantee, and the fact that Giroux is doing so well right now doesn't mean we should reflect that onto Huberdeau.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Couturier isn't a physical player, it's really not that complicated. When I consider someone physical, it's because he can throw bodychecks and will intimidate the opposition by the way he plays the game, not because god gave him a big body. Going into corners is part of the game so like I said in my earlier post, it's a must... not a quality. If you are going in the top #10, you better go into corners and fight for loose pucks, no?

You can be 5"7' and be more physical then a guy that's 6"3' and that's what Couturier is... a big body with no physical presence to his game. He'll throw bodychecks cause that's how the game is played but he won't put any fear in the opposition when he's on the ice and with the "advantage" he has over the rest of the league, I would've liked for him to utilise his body to his advantage but that's not the case.

The same thing has been said about Gélinas. A big guy that should create fear in the eyes of his opponents but doesn't cause he doesn't have that mean streak to his game when he cleary has a size advantage against the rest of the players who are playing in the "Q".
See, but for Couturier I don't think that is a problem. He's a skill forward, he's not expected to be intimidating, he's expected to be scoring. You want both if possible, but if you must pick one you take the scoring.

He does use his size to play a power game, and that's what should be asked of him. Which top 6 forwards put fear in their opponents with their physicality? Ovechkin, and that's about it.

Old
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
CerebralGenesis

Haha I'm aware but if we could get a Giroux type player...yes!

If only our defense wasn't so putrid.
I really can see lou grabbing Couturier at 4 and I will have no qualms with that. Don't forget he was 1st overall for awhile before getting sick. The talk of stagflation is worrying though

Old
05-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

The stagnation talk is overblown, I think. He scored the same number of points in fewer games while having mono. He improved his defensive game, and got a little bigger.

I haven't seen him play over the full season to properly measure his progress over the full year, but I'd say he definitely did not stagnate.

Old
05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
these pretzels are makin me thirsty

Old
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
See, but for Couturier I don't think that is a problem. He's a skill forward, he's not expected to be intimidating, he's expected to be scoring. You want both if possible, but if you must pick one you take the scoring.

He does use his size to play a power game, and that's what should be asked of him. Which top 6 forwards put fear in their opponents with their physicality? Ovechkin, and that's about it.
C'mon Saugus, there's a ton of top 6 forwards that plays with that edge to their game and can still rack up points at the same time. Here's a fiew off the top of my head...

Perry, Getzlaf, M. Richards, Lucic, Iginla, Toews, Nash, Backes, etc...

Couturier won't shy away from a incoming hit but he won't initiate anything either.

Old
05-03-2011, 03:17 PM
CerebralGenesis

I would honestly be fine with either. I'm beginning to mock the top few picks like this:

Edmonton- RNH
Colorado - Larsson
Florida - Huberdeau
New Jersey - Landeskog
Islanders - Murphy
Ottawa - Couturier

The option for a flip with Ottawa as well. If they offer something high in 2012, Lou would probably consider it. I would but I'm hyping a supposed draft anyway.

Old
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

At this point, I'm just glad it's not me who has to pick.

Closed Thread