HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part VIII - Adam Larsson's Revenge!

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 05:54 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
You're correct. Physicality is completely overblown.
i agree for the most part. but it IS what separates ovechkin and kovy at times. i think ovechkin is the better talent, but the physical edge he uses along with that talent just pushes him further ahead. its different with every player though, but hes the first example that popped into my head. heck, avery plays physical but he sucks balls....so theres that.

Old
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Do we need to dig up the old thread where somebody wanted to trade Parise for "Future #1 D" Cam Barker before the 2004 Draft?
That was me, and I'll do it a thousand times over.

Old
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Another thing is the NHL is soo leniant lately, that making a good physical play is sometimes called a penalty.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I would still take Dougie over smurphy but thats me
I don't know. Dougie is a good two-way defenceman. Murphy is far superior offensively and not too much worse defensively. If the decision comes down to being between those two, it depends on what we think is more valuable in a defenceman.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
CerebralGenesis

Like I said before, I still wish Couturier was playing and it would be easier to compare the two playing. Granted the sea otters are a better team

Old
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
i agree for the most part. but it IS what separates ovechkin and kovy at times. i think ovechkin is the better talent, but the physical edge he uses along with that talent just pushes him further ahead. its different with every player though, but hes the first example that popped into my head. heck, avery plays physical but he sucks balls....so theres that.
Agreed. It's a nice thing to have and might help a team win some tough games. But give me the player with the superior positioning and defensive awareness every day of the week.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Mgd31

Its not so much being physical. Its more of being able to not only play a peripheral game and actually get down into those dirty areas around the net and boards.

Like a Parise

Old
05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Its not so much being physical. Its more of being able to not only play a peripheral game and actually get down into those dirty areas around the net and boards.

Like a Parise
like a mini mall

Old
05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
like a mini mall
Living rooms, bedrooms, dinette, we got it! You need it!

Old
05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Huberdeau would be an awesome pick wouldn't mind if he was picked if Larsson wasn't there.

Plus he has an awesome name.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:33 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post

Like a Parise
Yeah, that's the big thing with me. I could care less if you can fight, but you need to be tough enough to score around the crease. That's all I'm really saying.

It's something that aside from Parise, we don't really have and we badly need.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Living rooms, bedrooms, dinette, we got it! You need it!
You can find em, at the market, we talking bout Flee Market, Montgomery. Its just like, Its just like, Its just like a mini mall.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Yeah, that's the big thing with me. I could care less if you can fight, but you need to be tough enough to score around the crease. That's all I'm really saying.

It's something that aside from Parise, we don't really have and we badly need.
Agreed. I want a crease presence, on both sides of the puck. Guys who can crash the opposing crease, and guys who can clear ours.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
I disagree. Look at the teams left in the playoffs. Vancouver, Nashville, Detroit, Boston, Philly, Washington, even San Jose to an extent are pretty physical teams. Games are won on the boards, in the corners, and in front of the net. Playing physical can make defensemen think twice when playing the puck and can make forwards more hesitant when going after the puck. Sometimes physicality is overlooked on how important it is for a team to win. It is obviously negated if you are taking penalties though. The key is to play physical but be sure to not take penalties.
Parise, Zajac, Zubrus, and Kovy are all very, very good along the boards and the corners. I don't consider any of those guys to be physical. You don't have to be physical to have good board work.

Physicality is a lost cause in today's NHL. It just doesn't work as much as it used to. Our dynasties were built on physicality and the league took it away. You need guys that can play efficient and clean defense while contributing on the scoreboard. Physicality is just a subcategory. I'd rather take the "soft" player (I don't even consider Couturier to be soft) who plays solid offense AND defense than a "gritty" guy who is better offensively, and average defensively.

It's a misconception on here. Grit does not win hockey games. Good hockey wins hockey games.

And not to nitpick, but of the 8 playoff teams, they aren't necessarily playing for the Cup because they're physical. I'd rather think they're playing for the Cup because they are either elite scoring teams (Washington, Detroit), great goaltending teams (Boston, Nashville) or both (Vancouver, etc.)

Old
05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

I know there are other reasons why those teams are still in the playoffs but I can't help but notice how much they throw the body. Every game has huge hit after huge hit. I don't think our team hits enough, mostly our forwards. I wish Zajac, Kovy, and Napalm hit more. It would definitely add another dimension to their game. I remember the game where Teddy laid a hit on Orpik and all I could think was "if teddy can do that, why can't everyone on our team do that?"

Old
05-03-2011, 08:26 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I know there are other reasons why those teams are still in the playoffs but I can't help but notice how much they throw the body. Every game has huge hit after huge hit. I don't think our team hits enough, mostly our forwards. I wish Zajac, Kovy, and Napalm hit more. It would definitely add another dimension to their game. I remember the game where Teddy laid a hit on Orpik and all I could think was "if teddy can do that, why can't everyone on our team do that?"
Re-watch the 1-0 win over the Rangers in the late season and tell me we can't be a physical team. Really I think our problem, besides the obvious lack of PMD, is a lack of motivation. When we played the Rangers that night, you could FEEL the motivation, even watching it on TV and the physicality was there in addition to stellar defense and goaltending. The offense, not so much, but we got robbed of a goal or two by Lundqvist.

A good coach can bring that aspect into the game. Not that Lemaire was a bad coach, but I think his strong point was teaching and positioning and not necessarily in game management and motivation.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:26 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
San Jose is very physical. All of these teams are willing to throw the body. That doesn't mean that they aren't skilled or good positionally. You can be both.

Just seems like we have skilled guys and are a good positional team, but we aren't as tough as these other teams - mentally and physically. Most of the goals in this league are scored near the crease and we had trouble doing it. While Detroit isn't the most physical team, there skill guys sure as hell aren't lost down in that area.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

It's not so much about our top 6 being extremely physical, or even the "top 9" for that matter. But if they aren't going to be physical the 4th line better crush you. Sometimes I feel like we get pushed around down low.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
apice3*

Either way, a Giroux-like player isn't exactly the most physical breed of hockey player. I don't really have a problem with taking Huberdeau over Couturier, but if Lou does it, I don't want physicality to be his reason.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Huberdeau is the more skilled playmaker, although Couturier is no slouch.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Huberdeau also likes to score his goals around the net

Old
05-03-2011, 09:32 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Please draft Huberdeau or Murphy

Old
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

no consensus on who we should draft?

*finds door, walks out

Old
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

There won't ever be a consensus on who we like until Lou makes the pick, and then we'll all suddenly love that guy.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
no consensus on who we should draft?

*finds door, walks out
We've narrowed it down some.

It should be someone who plays a hockey.

A male.

Their name should have vowels in it.

They should be draft eligible.

Not a goalie.

Closed Thread