HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part VIII - Adam Larsson's Revenge!

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Now, if Larsson straight dominates the finals, then who knows, but otherwise I expect RNH to be taken.
The SEL finals ended 2 weeks ago.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Just so you know, the Edmonton GM was in Sweden to follow the SEL finals, just to watch Larsson. Word in Sweden is that EDM are pretty much focusing in on him.
I don't think it means anything. Who else is he going to watch? RNH's season is over. It could be a head fake to try to get NJ, NY, or COL to make a big offer for the #1 overall, or all that talk about RNH and his gretzky vision could have been a head fake. No one will really know until June 24th.

...but since we're speculating, how wild would this be?

1. Larsson
2. Landeskog
3. Couturier
4. RNH

Old
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
CerebralGenesis

If we got RNH our of this...lol

Old
05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
We wouldn't get RNH, not even if Edmonton takes Larsson. I expect those two to go 1-2, but I'm not sure of the order.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

I couldn't see COL taking RNH because they are set with Duchene and Stastny down the middle. However, I doubt Florida would pass on him

Old
05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I highly, highly doubt Larsson falls to us, but hey - who the hell knows what's going to happen

Old
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I couldn't see COL taking RNH because they are set with Duchene and Stastny down the middle. However, I doubt Florida would pass on him
RNH is the clear BPA after #1, so I think one of the teams in front of us will take him, even if Edmonton passes. My guess would actually be Colorado. They couldn't pass up his talent.

He won't drop to us. We're not that lucky.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
We wouldn't get RNH, not even if Edmonton takes Larsson. I expect those two to go 1-2, but I'm not sure of the order.
Oh, I don't think it's likely, but it's definitely possible that Florida simply prefers Couturier over RNH. As SMantzas mentioned COL almost certainly wouldn't take RNH b/c they already have two small skill centers.

But I just think it would be funny since we've debated pretty much every top prospect except him.

Last edited by Blackjack: 05-04-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

The only thing that would really surprise me would be RNH dropping past 2. I can see a bunch of different scenarios playing out, but that's not one of them.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Can someone explain how Larsson will be the number 4 overall? I don't understand how that would be even remotely possible.
Not probable but not the most implausible scenario.

Edmonton could take RNH and nobody would really second guess them at this point as a slight majority seems to have him #1 at this point. The return on investment has generally been a bit better for top 3 forwards than top 3 D over the last 20 years.

Colorado could conceivably fall in love with Landeskog through the interview process. He'd be a great guy to slot in with Stastny or Duchene. The Avs also have pick #11 to add towards D, Siemens could possibly be there. Colorado has Erik Johnson along with Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliott turning pro this year. So they have some depth with RH offensive defensemen. So they don't quite have the need that we would with Larsson, but obviously just as easily could take Larsson as Barrie/Elliott aren't sure things.

Florida is relatively well stocked with young D. The used their 1st in 2009 and 2010 on Dmitri Kulikov and Erik Gudbranson. They seemingly have a greater need for a top 6 forward. They could try to leverage a trade down with the Islanders for Larsson, unless they were afraid we were going to take their intended target.

Quote:
Just so you know, the Edmonton GM was in Sweden to follow the SEL finals, just to watch Larsson. Word in Sweden is that EDM are pretty much focusing in on him.
Due diligence at this point. Not every year is like Stamkos where the team started building an advertising campaign almost immediately after the lottery. Pretty sure Garth Snow spent significant time with Matt Duchene and Victor Hedman prior to the 2009 Draft as well. Half of the Oiler fans I met in LA were sure that they'd be taking Tyler Seguin based on media speculation.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
RNH is the clear BPA after #1, so I think one of the teams in front of us will take him, even if Edmonton passes. My guess would actually be Colorado. They couldn't pass up his talent.

He won't drop to us. We're not that lucky.
I really don't think they would. Florida I could see, but not Colorado.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

This draft's top tier is so lacking in consensus, I wouldn't be surprised to see any order of picks.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercydevs View Post
can somebody post this article with espn insider

Breaking down 2011's top D-men

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...26id%3d6472826
Nothing too groundbreaking, but here are some of the more interesting passages:

Quote:
Start with Larsson. He's in a group of one. Some scouts wil tell you that he had a season that was only okay, but they'll explain that their lukewarm evaluation is based on his past performance and expectations.

He set a very high bar for himself and came up a bit short. Expectations were that he'd tear it up at the World Juniors but he was again "only okay" and, in fact, not even close to where Fowler was on the U.S. side in the previous U-20 tournament. Less than Larsson's best is better than the rest, though. With his combination of size and skill and his proven ability to play against pros in the Swedish Elite League, Larsson can and, if a deal can get done, will play in the NHL next season.
Quote:
Murphy has been knocked (sometimes on this blog) for occasionally out-of-control play. And some think that he doesn't fit the physical profile of a D who would be a top-10 pick. These, however, are the only knocks I could see on him -- and the only ones I hear from scouts. He can do things with puck that none of the others can. In fact, he can do things that you won't find in two year's worth of draft candidates. "You can talk yourself into grading him down because of what he isn't, but you have to focus on what he is and what he can do," one scout said last week. "He is just a hockey player. The less complicated you make it, the more clearly you see it."
Quote:
On the other hand Hamilton fits the conventional prospect's physical profile and has a high skill set, but not a unique one like Murphy's. And what I hear from scouts and coaches is that Hamilton should be back in junior next year. "He doesn't have the physical edge that you'd see in Gudbranson, say," one OHL executive told me. "He has size but plays smaller. His effort is a little in-and-out. All the pieces are there, but you look to him and think he should show more."
Quote:
This brings us back to Murphy and Hamilton. I keep thinking of Drew Doughty and Zach Bogosian. Bogosian was the prospect of the conventional sort and Doughty this, well, freak. Bogosian was a pure athlete, while the ugliest thing in junior hockey was Doughty with his shirt off. He didn't look like he could physically compete in junior, never mind the NHL -- until they dropped the puck. Doughty had all the skills and hockey sense to get past any shortcomings and I sort of suspect that Murphy will be the same.

Maybe Murphy doesn't jump directly to the NHL next season -- after all Doughty and Fowler were late birthdays and they had U-20 experience as draft-eligibles. But after dominating the U-18 World Championships, Murphy might make the jump like the two other former OHL Ds. And five years from now, if Larsson isn't the best D in the draft, it will be Murphy.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Nothing too groundbreaking, but here are some of the more interesting passages:
Interesting analysis of Murphy.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I agree with the article. Don't look at what Murphy DOESN'T have because a lot of players have the same thing.

Look at what Murphy DOES have because not many others have that ability.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:51 PM
nomercydevs

and this-
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...26id%3d6478435

Old
05-04-2011, 03:52 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
The SEL finals ended 2 weeks ago.
I'll reword it then. If Larsson straight dominated the finals, he's a good pick. If he didn't I expect RNH.

How was his performance?

Old
05-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Murphy is a unique prospect, that's for sure.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I'll reword it then. If Larsson straight dominated the finals, he's a good pick. If he didn't I expect RNH.

How was his performance?
I'm not sure since I didn't follow the finals very closely. I have heard that he played well though.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:25 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
Murphy,Larsson or Huberdeau gimme one of them. Wouldn't mind Couturier either.

Don't want Hamilton.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:46 PM
CerebralGenesis

Id still be ok with murphy.

Larsson would be superb as would Cout/Huber

Old
05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercydevs View Post
The Alvin Chang articles tend to be very stats oriented, so I wouldn't put a ton of stock into his work with regards to the draft.

The basic gist of his article is that best point producing forwards tend to be top 5 picks, whereas the best point producing D were taken later in their drafts.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Points aren't all we look for when picking defencemen.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Can't say I'd be disappointed with Murphy at all. He might be the most skilled player in the draft besides RNH.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I like Murphy. I think he has the undeniable talent where someone will take a chance on him in the top five.

Might even be us.

Closed Thread